PDA

View Full Version : India vs Pakistan - Glasgow 3rd July

patriot
June 28, 2007, 06:50 AM
India and Pakistan to meet in Glasgow

India and Pakistan are to play a special one-day match in Glasgow on July 3 at the invitation of the Prince of Wales. It is hoped the game will raise up to £2.5 million for charities in the UK and on the subcontinent.

The match, which is being played for the Friendship Cup, is being staged to commemorate the 60th anniversary of India and Pakistan's independence. It is being organised by the British Asian Trust and up to 5,000 tickets are on sale through an online ballot.

"This will be an amazing occasion as both our nations have not met outside the World Cup or the ICC Trophy in the United Kingdom," Lalit Modi, vice-president of India's board, told the BBC. "With such large Indian and Pakistani-origin populations it will be a fantastic opportunity to play such a match in aid of such a wonderful cause.

"The game was His Royal Highness's idea and we are pleased that together with Cricket Scotland we have been able to put this into our tour of the United Kingdom."

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/294646.html

patriot
June 28, 2007, 07:05 AM
Just met Shahid Afridi and Abdur Razzaq at a shopping mall here.Probably, this meeting made me open the thread ASAP.:)
I would certainly support Pakistan this time.Whom would you guys root for??

patriot
June 28, 2007, 07:06 AM
Mods Please move this to Internatonal Cricket section.

Bengaliprince176
June 28, 2007, 08:35 AM
INDIA INDIA INDIA!!! u met shahid afridi?? i met him once at Trent Bridge nice guy. i hope he can make a good score, i still remember his century in Kanpur, i was crying for weeks :(

but my main man Ganguly, who i rooting for! Go Dada!!

Surfer
June 28, 2007, 11:14 AM
India all the way............................................... ........hopefully.:D

Yameen
June 28, 2007, 04:02 PM
what ground in glasgow is it by the way?

ye am rooting for the umpires lolz buh nah a close exciting game would b kool 4me

One World
June 28, 2007, 09:40 PM
in pursuit of a neutral venue right!

Electrequiem
June 28, 2007, 10:38 PM
I am rooting for Pakistan. They have been a favorite team of mine since a looooooooong time.

patriot
June 29, 2007, 04:27 AM
what ground in glasgow is it by the way?

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa186/stax_194/75911.jpg
A wide-angle view of Clydesdale Cricket Club's ground at Titwood, Glasgow, Scotland, May 2007

ialbd
June 29, 2007, 08:57 AM
hmm... a bit surprised by the picture of the field, nonetheless expecting a great game.....

Shafin
June 29, 2007, 09:29 AM
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa186/stax_194/75911.jpg
A wide-angle view of Clydesdale Cricket Club's ground at Titwood, Glasgow, Scotland, May 2007
Does the field have any permanent stands?

Tintin
June 30, 2007, 10:05 PM
So after the "attack" in the airport, are they still going ahead with this ?

oracle
June 30, 2007, 11:52 PM
I find this whole "future" cup lame. This is a way to attract interest.

patriot
July 2, 2007, 04:49 AM
So after the "attack" in the airport, are they still going ahead with this ?

yes!:)

Attack at Glasgow airport does not worry the boards

India-Pakistan ODI to go ahead despite security concerns

Cricinfo staff

July 2, 2007

The security situation in Glasgow after a car crashed into the main terminal of the city's airport on July 1 has not worried the Indian board (BCCI) or the team, Niranjan Shah, the BCCI secretary, said. India and Pakistan are to play a one-day game at Glasgow on Tuesday, the proceeds of the match going to the Prince of Wales charity trust.

"We are not going to be worried by the situation in Glasgow," Shah told Hindustan Times. "We will leave it to the authorities over there to judge the situation and advise us."Security is the responsibility of the home board and I'm sure they will take the necessary steps to ensure safety. The match will go on without any problem."
The Pakistan board (PCB) also confirmed that the security arrangements were satisfactory and that the match would go ahead as scheduled. "A match against India of any nature is always keenly anticipated and we are expecting a big crowd in for the match despite the security alert in Glasgow," Zakir Khan, the PCB director of cricket operations, told cricketnext.com. "We are just keeping our fingers crossed the rains don't hit the match."

The crash - suspected to be an attempted terrorist attack - has put Britain on its highest state of security alert and Glasgow airport remained closed overnight. But Shah said that the Indian team would fly into the city from Belfast, where they completed a series-win over South Africa on Monday, July 2.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/300332.html

israr
July 2, 2007, 07:27 AM
This thread is a typical exaggeration of an India-Pak match.

Sohel
July 2, 2007, 07:33 AM
"Don't believe the hype" - Chuck D, Public Enemy.

One World
July 2, 2007, 01:01 PM
Well the huge interest shown in this match is a part of cricketing culture - the neutral venue also outside of Asia gives it the extra significance.

patriot
July 2, 2007, 02:40 PM
This thread is a typical exaggeration of an India-Pak match.

If you would like to call discussing cricket's greatest rivalry involving the hopes and aspirations of million of fans 'Exaggeration', then I need not say anything more.

sandpiper
July 2, 2007, 03:02 PM
this match would be washed out, I reckon. showers are forcasted in Glasgow on Tuesday

Nafi
July 2, 2007, 03:41 PM
Hopefully Sky are going to show this.

israr
July 2, 2007, 03:47 PM
If you would like to call discussing cricket's greatest rivalry involving the hopes and aspirations of million of fans 'Exaggeration', then I need not say anything more.

I am saying the truth, and cricket's greatest rivalry is the Ashes and if it wouldn't have been for West Indies' slump, then the Wisden and Lillie-SobersTrophy would still be more significant than an Ind-Pak one. Large numbers can't redefine history. And by the way, this thread was opened 5 days before the scheduled fixture. Even the match threads of Bangladesh World Cup matches weren't introduced 5 days in advance, but this is only a one-off encounter which has been organized for charity.
No hard feelings mate:big_hug: .

israr
July 2, 2007, 03:58 PM
Where are the seats for spectators? Will they watch it from the windows of those houses.:rolleyes:

Ganguly da
July 2, 2007, 07:52 PM
India will burn Pak again!

MohammedC
July 2, 2007, 08:52 PM
Good luck to both india and pakistan

bharat
July 2, 2007, 08:54 PM
I am saying the truth, and cricket's greatest rivalry is the Ashes and if it wouldn't have been for West Indies' slump, then the Wisden and Lillie-SobersTrophy would still be more significant than an Ind-Pak one. Large numbers can't redefine history. And by the way, this thread was opened 5 days before the scheduled fixture. Even the match threads of Bangladesh World Cup matches weren't introduced 5 days in advance, but this is only a one-off encounter which has been organized for charity.
No hard feelings mate:big_hug: .

I agree to a certain extent that these matches are over hyped ..but Isar dont you think that cricket should come out of its Anglo-saxon grip hold..

Truly the Ashes are a drag where 99% (except the miracle of last series in eng)of the time the Aussies batter the English black and blue and the only thing that remains to be seen is how badly the English loose.

We (and cricket) needs to get out of the myophic vision on the English (and there ilk)

Electrequiem
July 2, 2007, 09:30 PM
"The board is set. The pieces are moving. And we come to it at last."
----Gandalf the Grey

patriot
July 3, 2007, 02:20 AM
The clouds are looking very threatening here!.We wil be lucky to get a 20/20.

abdulrahee
July 3, 2007, 03:21 AM
India will burn Pak again!

again..? again..? again..?

take a look at the stats

Dravid, Malik are their teams' leading run-getters
Captains hold the batting key
Mathew Varghese
july 2, 2007

India and Pakistan play a one-off ODI at Glasgow on Tuesday. The two teams last met in a two-match series in 2006 at Abu Dhabi, with both teams winning a match apiece.

Since 2003, the teams have played 23 ODI matches, with both sides claiming almost an equal share. However, the overall record favours Pakistan, having emerged victorious in 64 of the 108 encounters between the two teams, with four matches ending in no-results.

India v Pakistan head-to-head Record Matches India Pakistan Tie No Result

record matches ind pak tie no result
Overall 108 40 64 0 4
Since 2003 23 11 12 0 0
Neutral venues 62 24 36 0 2
Sharjah 24 6 18 0 0

India will go into this match with one advantage, having beaten South Africa at Belfast to win the Future Cup series. Pakistan lack match practice, their game against Scotland on Sunday was washed out.

may be pakistan lost this time b/c of lack of match practice

istiak
July 3, 2007, 06:06 PM
I am rooting for Pakistan. They have been a favorite team of mine since a looooooooong time.

Even during 1971.............no offence :D

istiak
July 3, 2007, 06:11 PM
Does the field have any permanent stands?

Yes they do have, but hiden in the living rooms of those apartments........:-D