PDA

View Full Version : mad respect for Lasith Malinga

al Furqaan
June 28, 2007, 10:37 AM
here is what he said on sledging to CI:

Strangely, you don't sledge batsman. Why?
I never was one in favor of sledging. A bowler's job is to get wickets and it's to get it through his talent and not use unsportsmanlike conduct. International cricket is the biggest league and when you represent your country and act like that on the field it reflects badly on yourself, the team and the country. Besides: what's the big achievement anyway? I like doing my thing the way its supposed to be done.

while i personally espouse, a certain level of trash talking, i have nothing but utmost respect for malinga; he's right, after all.

SS
June 28, 2007, 11:11 AM
If you read his interview in cricinfo, you know he is not like other regular pacers.
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/story/299943.html

He got lots of good attributes like discipline, hard working, cricket intelligence and do or die attitude. Despite of being 5'8", he worked hard to overcome obstacles and reached this stage. But you have to admit, their cricket structure molded him and nurtured him, which we lack the most.

WarWolf
June 28, 2007, 11:13 AM
Nice gentle man.

Sohel
June 28, 2007, 11:21 AM
Sri Lankans, including the fans who visit this forum, are an extension of the same class and solid support for our cricket demonstrated by Tennekun, Mendis, Warnapura and De Silva (not Arvinda) in Dhaka during the late 70s, up to the current batch of outstanding cricketers led by the classy Denagamage Proboth Mahela de Silva Jayawardene.

Tigers_eye
June 28, 2007, 11:27 AM
Class that what SL players are. It breeds in the team. So whoever comes in to the team knows how to act.

When playing street ball, cusing is part of the game. Mother, sister, wife no one is spared to get a mental edge. They certainly don't mean it but that is the norm. Young boys watching grow up to be just like that.

I hope and pray our team can have leaders who are as classy as the SLans. Both on and off the field.

Ehsan
June 28, 2007, 11:31 AM
I am afraid not all Lankans are "class". Haven't you guys seen how Sangakara have always sledged our batsman specially the young ones like Mushfique, Shakib, Nafees, etc. when they were new? May be their bowlers don't sledge (I doubt if its all the bowlers) but fielders and wicketkeepers are horrible in sledging.

Sohel
June 28, 2007, 11:50 AM
I am afraid not all Lankans are "class". Haven't you guys seen how Sangakara have always sledged our batsman specially the young ones like Mushfique, Shakib, Nafees, etc. when they were new? May be their bowlers don't sledge (I doubt if its all the bowlers) but fields and wicketkeepers are horrible in sledging.

I see your point, but don't you think the type of "sledging" you're talking about is a part of the game, especially from a keeper? Heaven knows Pilot and Mushy have done their share of yapping ...

Ehsan
June 28, 2007, 12:03 PM
Pilot's sledging is most ineffective. Mushfique is ok. They are novice compared to Sangakara. I don't know what Sangakara has against BD, he sledges more against BD and specially against kids like Mushfique. I felt sorry for Mushfique seeing how he was sledged to take his wicket. Since then Lankans have lost a lot of respect from me. Why the hell would you sledge a kid of 17 years to take his wicket? Aren't you guys supposed to be talented enough to get his wicket other than sleding?

Anyways, if someone asks me what is a thing that you want to be removed from cricket then I will definitely have sledging on the top of my list.

gatekeeper
June 28, 2007, 12:15 PM
Sri Lankans, including the fans who visit this forum, are an extension of the same class and solid support for our cricket demonstrated by Tennekun, Mendis, Warnapura and De Silva (not Arvinda) in Dhaka during the late 70s, up to the current batch of outstanding cricketers led by the classy Denagamage Proboth Mahela de Silva Jayawardene.

The present lot is different. If you know anyone who went to Trinidad for the WC the'll attest to it.

Sohel
June 28, 2007, 12:16 PM
Pilot's sledging is most ineffective. Mushfique is ok. They are novice compared to Sangakara. I don't know what Sangakara has against BD, he sledges more against BD and specially against kids like Mushfique. I felt sorry for Mushfique seeing how he was sledged to take his wicket. Since then Lankans have lost a lot of respect from me. Why the hell would you sledge a kid of 17 years to take his wicket? Aren't you guys supposed to be talented enough to get his wicket other than sleding?

Anyways, if someone asks me what is a thing that you want to be removed from cricket then I will definitely have sledging on the top of my list.

Here's a few private picz from the last WC. Note the picz with Sanga and other Lankan cricketers.

Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9184271@N02/tags/wcricket2007/

Enjoy bro ...

Sohel
June 28, 2007, 12:17 PM
The present lot is different. If you know anyone who went to Trinidad for the WC the'll attest to it.

A link with picz from Trinidad posted ... post # 10 ... :)

cricket_pagol
June 28, 2007, 12:31 PM
thanks for sharing the pictures... which one is you?

Ehsan
June 28, 2007, 12:33 PM
I wasted 5-10 mins to check out those pics and they do not tell me a thing. I fail to see your point bro.

Anyways, people could be different off the field. But you can not call some one a class ONLY because of their off field behaviour. I do not see lankan players earning any respect in my eyes again except few players like Murali and Malinga.

My point is they might be great players but not as great human beings.

Trigger_Tiger
June 28, 2007, 12:48 PM
Most SL players are classy with their manners. Arjuna Ranatunga, Kumar Sangakara and other such players are the shrewd minded ones in the team who light the required fire required in modern day cricket to hit the wrong nerve of the opposition to make them unstable.

Mahela Jayawardene himself leads the team by example in this aspect of mannerism in modern day cricket I think :)!

Good on cricket and for them :up:.

cricketboy
June 28, 2007, 01:20 PM
I hope he continues to be like this and not like the "khat" Sresanth or Munaf Patel or even worse the Australian bowlers. Being a great person is also important apart from being a great cricketer.

left-hander
June 28, 2007, 01:29 PM

Sledging is part of the game -- remember, Cricket is 30% physical, 20% instinct and 50% mental game, in my view. You have to be able to overcome the mental pressure from opponents (sledging), selectors, media, crowd and yourself to perform at any level.

al Furqaan
June 28, 2007, 01:32 PM
the SL players are not all class...ie sangka...but he isn't a jerk either.

and jayawardene always complains of rajibs grunting when no one else does...

but they do have also the classiest players, guys like vass, malinga, atapattu...

al Furqaan
June 28, 2007, 01:33 PM
mushy doesn't sledge...

all he says is "ohhhhh, lalla, good bowling"

that is NOT sledging...

Buddhika_s
June 28, 2007, 02:29 PM
I am afraid not all Lankans are "class". Haven't you guys seen how Sangakara have always sledged our batsman specially the young ones like Mushfique, Shakib, Nafees, etc. when they were new? May be their bowlers don't sledge (I doubt if its all the bowlers) but fielders and wicketkeepers are horrible in sledging.

well sri lankans do sledge, but atleast they don't stoop down to aussies level and talk about race or someone else's ****. here if you haven't see this,
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PlFF98dM8sA
this happened in the world cup 03 against SA. he's a smart player, intellegent enough to make shaun pollock feel a lot of pressure rather than call him something offensive. shows the class, tell me another player in the world who sledge using lines such as, "The weight of all the expectations..."

sanga himself once said they do most of the sledging against south africa, because they take things personally. like sanga's type of sledging, he's not dumb enough to call players "black monkeys" like once lehman did to jayasuriya

sanga is a great player, good man, smart man. he's a lawyer and he's a columnist for cricinfo and off the field he does a lot for younger players like when Upul Tharanga lost all of his equipment due to tsunami in 2004 sanga bought all of them and he donated thousands of rupees worth of cricket equipment to tsunami hit schools.

a bit of bullying is not that bad, beside do you really think murali needs the help of sangakkara to get mushfique out? no offense.

Shafin
June 28, 2007, 02:37 PM
Sledging is part of the game -- remember, Cricket is 30% physical, 20% instinct and 50% mental game, in my view. You have to be able to overcome the mental pressure from opponents (sledging), selectors, media, crowd and yourself to perform at any level.
No one denies that sledging is a part of the game,but it's the part of the game that is loathed in most of the circles.The game would be better without it.Mental pressure does not mean swearing unnecessary words at another person.For instance,what the aussies use as sledges,are seen as highly abusive in our parts of the world.I'd have loved to see an aussie team without sledging,to be honest,with their talent level,they dont really need it,but its built on in them.The reason everyone would prefer to support the WI team of 80's over the present Aussie one is simply their attitude towards the game.WI took the game as a sport,while the aussies take it as a war.

Shafin
June 28, 2007, 02:39 PM
a bit of bullying is not that bad, beside do you really think murali needs the help of sangakkara to get mushfique out? no offense.
Sangakara is the most articulate speaker off the field of all the current players,i've no doubt on that.

And your point is the same as ours,Murali really does not need Sanga to get Mushy out,so why sledge and make a bitter taste in the mouth?

Buddhika_s
June 28, 2007, 02:56 PM
Sangakara is the most articulate speaker off the field of all the current players,i've no doubt on that.

And your point is the same as ours,Murali really does not need Sanga to get Mushy out,so why sledge and make a bitter taste in the mouth?

idk where this happend. was this in the WC?

ialbd
June 28, 2007, 03:07 PM
kinda surprised to learn that malinga doesnt like sledging. I always thought him to be the 'sledging' type of pacer......

al Furqaan
June 28, 2007, 04:03 PM

if thats true, it just means that jayawardene is BSing when he complains about shahadat's grunting.

take your pick.

One World
June 28, 2007, 09:01 PM
Sledging is a part of the game and it is not going to run away unless robots start playing cricket. Its good that Malinga chose the hard way but cricket is a mind game, and Australia is best in both sorts of cricket, psychic and physical.

Nice pics, one with jayasurya is priceless.

Cryin Out
June 28, 2007, 09:57 PM

You gotta be kidding me... this is amateurville. Sangakkara is one of the finest cricketing brains and players in cricket- all told. And , from his writing, one of the most articulate players around.

Sledging? It goes back decades- part and parcel of cricket. Obviously everything has limits, but sledging is part of the game- you take it and move on, and show the opposition you are a man. Being mentally tough is not a part of cricket- it is cricket.

What the heck does Mushfique being a kid matter? He is playing a man's game. Why should he not be sledged? Tendulkar was sledged when he was 16 by the likes of Akram. Steve Waugh, at the height of his career, sledged the heck out of Paul Collingwood (then a nobody)

Bangladesh fans should feel OK- really- that your team is being sledged. In the modern world of cricket it is when you are not being sledged is when you should worry that the opposition is not taking you seriously.

Murad
June 29, 2007, 12:19 AM
Malinga seems to be a gentleman and so does most of the srilankan players.. especially vaas.. Malinga's looks doest say that hes a nice guy though.. he looks more of a gangstar.. This guy will be one of the best bowlers in the world... I like his bowling...

Ehsan
June 29, 2007, 07:38 AM
Cryin out,
You are going overboard crying out, and your are misreading my point. I never said Sangakara is not a good player nor did I say sledging is not part of the modern day cricket. All I am saying if you were so great as a human being you would not go sledging so badly to a 17 year old kid. I felt bad seeing a poor kid being sledged like that to get his wicket which they eventually did. And that makes Sangakara lose respect in my eyes, hope you get my point now. BTW Mushfique is no tendulkar.

Also, keep this in mind one of the biggest reason Sri Lanka is demolishing Bangladesh is because of their mental edge over BD. If we can overcome that then we will see a lot better results. BTW India and Pakistan, none of them have a mental edge over us and thus you see a win here and there. Again, I am not saying India and Pakistan are not a better team than BD.

i_shoaib
June 29, 2007, 02:25 PM

WRONG ABOUT SANGAKKARA MY FRIEND!

I agree that Sangakkara is a fiesty cricketer who plays a very aggressive game in every way and that's why even the Aussies never mess with him.

But what seperates the class of Sangakkara from the normal sledger is that Sangakkara sledges intelligently without the need for bad language or bringing one's family into the sledging act.

He has taken on the game's best of players including the likes of Hussein, Warne, Pollock, KP and so on and so forth.

Here he is sledging Shaun Pollock on what eventually turned out to be Pollocks last match as Captain (2003 WC match in SA)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlFF98dM8sA

AsifTheManRahman
June 29, 2007, 02:29 PM
To be honest, that "pressure of 40 million people...so many expectations on the captain" was pretty lame. South Africans don't care. Pollock too was unmoved. The cultural differences came into play.

Having said that, I see no problems with sledging. South Asians seem to take a lot of the things that are said on a cricket field a tad personally, when none of it is personal at all.

rah
June 29, 2007, 04:38 PM

dat is true u r a world class team u dont need to sledge a 17 year old out

i_shoaib
June 29, 2007, 04:49 PM
dat is true u r a world class team u dont need to sledge a 17 year old out

Perhaps if more of your 17 year-olds had [edit] like Tamim did when he told Munaf Patel off then they wouldn't have a problem. Cricket is not for sissies it's man's game and the sooner BD realises this the better it would be for them.

For years we were at the receiving end of sledging from all and sundry. But the Rantunga era and now the Sangakkara era has changed the way we play our cricket and that's why the opposition teams respects us.

It was your own Mohamed Rafiq who was quoted recently as saying that The SL players are a fine bunch of lads up until the umpire calls for play. When the game is on they mean business and the friendship and camaraderie goes out of the window

BangladeshFan
June 29, 2007, 04:58 PM
i read somewhere, once harbajan came to bat against Sl ......... and Sangakara said "I see, you only wear half sleeve when you bat........"
:-p :-p

The guy is real clever and this is not normal sledge, imagine if harbajan was thinking about this comment, it would have made him completely off track. I dont know what he said to Mushfiq, but i think the intelligent thing is just to completely ignore what the wk or close fielder is saying. because it is in your control.

i_shoaib
June 29, 2007, 05:03 PM
To be honest, that "pressure of 40 million people...so many expectations on the captain" was pretty lame. South Africans don't care. Pollock too was unmoved. The cultural differences came into play.

He didn't say 40 million people are going to stand in front of a fast moving train or start attacking the players homes if they lost, all he said was the the expectations of 40 million people were riding on Shaun!

Your post tells me that you have know clue about South Africa, South Africans and their insane obsession with sport be it cricket or rugby or just about anything. Like the Aussies they are nation with a proud sporting history and take their sports very seriuosly. Don't forget that the 2003 World Cup was held in South Africa and after their rather comical exit in the 1999 semi-final there was certianly a lot of expectations from the home crowd to see their team go all the way. Hence Sangakkara's comment to Polly was perfectly apt.

Perhpas you should read the following article written about Sangakkara to get a better grasp about the man behind the cricketer Kumar Sangakkara and more importantly the Intellect behind the cricketer Kumar Sangakkara. Some of his vintage sledging moments have also been mentioned in it!

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/story/135846.html

Xavier
June 29, 2007, 05:21 PM

100% agree! I find sledging as pretty childish... and if he's a famous player like Sangakkara or Boucher doing it to young guys like Mushfique or Taibu I think it's pretty vile... and countries like Australia or South Africa are just lucky that the Italians or the Turks don't play cricket... otherwise when they start sledging the mediterraneans would probably start a riot as a reply!:D

Buddhika_s
June 29, 2007, 06:09 PM
Cryin out,
You are going overboard crying out, and your are misreading my point. I never said Sangakara is not a good player nor did I say sledging is not part of the modern day cricket. All I am saying if you were so great as a human being you would not go sledging so badly to a 17 year old kid. I felt bad seeing a poor kid being sledged like that to get his wicket which they eventually did. And that makes Sangakara lose respect in my eyes, hope you get my point now. BTW Mushfique is no tendulkar.

Also, keep this in mind one of the biggest reason Sri Lanka is demolishing Bangladesh is because of their mental edge over BD. If we can overcome that then we will see a lot better results. BTW India and Pakistan, none of them have a mental edge over us and thus you see a win here and there. Again, I am not saying India and Pakistan are not a better team than BD.

sledging is a part of game buddy, doesn't matter if he's 17 yearsold or 15 he's playing a man's game....

lol and u think the biggest reason sl is winning against bangladesh is the mental edge? hm... O....K.... lol i'm not even gonna reply to that

let me know when you get your own murali or vaas or malinga or even maharoof

Buddhika_s
June 29, 2007, 06:15 PM
100% agree! I find sledging as pretty childish... and if he's a famous player like Sangakkara or Boucher doing it to young guys like Mushfique or Taibu I think it's pretty vile... and countries like Australia or South Africa are just lucky that the Italians or the Turks don't play cricket... otherwise when they start sledging the mediterraneans would probably start a riot as a reply!:D

you play to win not to make friends or babysit

AsifTheManRahman
June 29, 2007, 06:24 PM
Your post tells me that you have know clue about South Africa, South Africans and their insane obsession with sport be it cricket or rugby or just about anything. Like the Aussies they are nation with a proud sporting history and take their sports very seriuosly. Don't forget that the 2003 World Cup was held in South Africa and after their rather comical exit in the 1999 semi-final there was certianly a lot of expectations from the home crowd to see their team go all the way. Hence Sangakkara's comment to Polly was perfectly apt.

Perhaps you don't remember the time when although they had lost the 1999 semis (a game that should have been won, and a loss that would've made fans from the subcontinent go nuts), there was a large crowd awaiting them at the airport, not to burn effigies but to welcome them back.

I wasn't demeaning Sangakkara the person or the cricketer, just saying that that piece of sledging was lame and didn't serve any purpose. South Africans may be obsessed with sports, but they do have a life beyond sports, which unfortunately many in the subcontinent don't.

I have utmost respect for him as a person, WK and batsman, so the other parts of your post are redundant.

Ehsan
June 29, 2007, 07:24 PM
Listen my SL friends,
No matter what you say, you are not going to change my perspective on Sangakara. So, don't bother. I never said sledging is not part of the game, you guys better start reading what I posted. But as understood by the rest, I did not like the fact that Sangakara had to come down to sledging to take a 17 year old's wicket. He has lost my respect and thats all.

Zobair
June 29, 2007, 08:31 PM
hmm...keep it up Malinga! I didn't see Sanga's sledging against Mushy. But I clearly remember how he effectively goaded Pilot into giving his wicket away the last time we played an ODI series...Pilot strode out to bat during one of the ODIs, horribly out form...Sanga quietly quipped to his mates something to the effect.."guys get ready for some test cricket!"...Pilot was run out shortly thereafter going for a non-existent run! If that is sledging I am all for it. As long as it is subtle and in good humour. Sure one plays to win but one shouldn't sell their soul to the devil for success on the cricket field, if you know what I mean.

Ehsan was this sledging you talk about during the world cup? If so, then Sanga was probably a little apprehensive about what Mushy was capable of, after his brilliant innings against India. No one is going to treat him like a 17 year old freshie after that.

Ehsan
June 29, 2007, 09:06 PM
Yes, during world cup.

MarufH
June 29, 2007, 11:27 PM
I stayed in SA for two years (2002 - 2003), they hardly care about cricket. It's only popular amongst white, which is somewhat 15 - 20% of the population. Soccer is the hype there.... Rugby is taking over cricket as well... I donno.... u see.. I had nothing to do with your argument, but what I don't like is someone arguing without knowing the base.

He .......Shaun!

MarufH
June 29, 2007, 11:29 PM
Personally, his comments are nice... but never liked his bowling action.... I donno how ICC allow his bowling....

i_shoaib
June 30, 2007, 03:39 AM
Perhaps you don't remember the time when although they had lost the 1999 semis (a game that should have been won, and a loss that would've made fans from the subcontinent go nuts), there was a large crowd awaiting them at the airport, not to burn effigies but to welcome them back.

Were you there at the Airport to see it?

Nevertheless, the simple point that you seem to be missing is the "weight of expectations" For any team when they play at home they do carry the weight of expectations of the local fans as they are expected to do well, perhaps go all the way. The West Indians had the same thing. Perhaps in Bangladesh people go nuts when the team loses and burn effigies and so on and this might not be the case in South Africa, West Indies or England. However that still does not mean that the home team is not going be under immense pressure, as quite naturally the entire country would be expecting their team to go all the way! So once again in this context what Sangakkara said to Polly was spot on.

On an entirely different note you BD fans need to stop crying like a bunch of women and face the realistic state of Test cricket in your country, which is pretty appalling, I must say. In every facet of the game both from a mental and skill level point of view Sri Lanka are a million miles ahead of you. Man to Man there is not one player in the BD team who can even come close to matching any of our players. The consummate ease with which Sri Lanka finished off the BD team in the first test was ample evidence of this.

BD has made great progress in the one-day arena but as far as Test cricket goes, honestly I can't argue with those who even question their Test status (I’m not one of them)

Perhaps your time would be better used critically analysing the flaws in your own team than to be looking at ways to discredit world-class players from other sides for ridiculous things like sledging. This reminds me of how the Indians were crying when Vass gave Uththappa a vociferous send off in the World Cup. You guys no doubt would have been proud of Tamim Iqbal for telling Munaf Patel off and that my friend is the way modern day cricket is played.

Tomorrow if Mortaza unleashed a verbal assault on one of our young players I will have no problem with it. In fact I would be in awe of Mortaza for testing the batter not just with the ball but also with the mind. It is the ability to survive tough situations like this that often separates the men from the boys.

We Lankans, took it for a long time from everyone in the cricketing world as far as sledging is concerned, but those days are gone. These days a team will think twice before trying to get into a verbal dual with us. For your sake I hope that BD too becomes a very aggressive unit sooner rather than later!

Once again I remind you cricket is not for sissies, it's a man's game!

i_shoaib
June 30, 2007, 03:42 AM
I stayed in SA for two years (2002 - 2003), they hardly care about cricket. It's only popular amongst white, which is somewhat 15 - 20% of the population. Soccer is the hype there.... Rugby is taking over cricket as well... I donno.... u see.. I had nothing to do with your argument, but what I don't like is someone arguing without knowing the base.

Do you have a source for the above facts?

If not just [] without trying to make judgements about my comments. All I said is that South Africa like Australia has a very proud sporting culture and take their sports very seriously and have an insane folliwng of it as well!

Sohel
June 30, 2007, 03:46 AM
Speaking from a great deal of personal experience, I admire Sri Lankan cricket and the way its cricketers have continued to carry themselves both on and off the field ever since my initial encounter with Tennekun, Warnapura and Mendis during the late 70s. I, along with many other Bangladeshis will continue to appreciate the manner in which our dear cousins from the Emerald Island have continued to support the development of cricket and cricket culture in Bangladesh.

i_shoaib
June 30, 2007, 03:47 AM
Another thing that amazes me about all you BD fans is the fact that none of you mentioned Sangakkara sledging Mushfiq when the World Cup was on. Now why was that? Was it because you were on your knees and praying that we would do you a favor be beating India so that you can advance to the super 8?

So now that we have just thrashed the living daylights out of you suddenly and incident from the BD vs. SL World Cup match as surfaced. Is this your sorry *** way of drowning your sorrows?

Sohel
June 30, 2007, 03:51 AM
Another thing that amazes me about all you BD fans is the fact that none of you mentioned Sangakkara sledging Mushfiq when the World Cup was on. Now why was that? Was it because you were on your knees and praying that we would do you a favor be beating India so that you can advance to the super 8?

So now that we have just thrashed the living daylights out of you suddenly and incident from the BD vs. SL World Cup match as surfaced. Is this your sorry *** way of drowning your sorrows?

Calm down cuz. Not all of us like that.

i_shoaib
June 30, 2007, 05:40 AM
Calm down cuz. Not all of us like that.

That's good to know!

Zobair
June 30, 2007, 08:11 AM
No need to over-react buddy! Everyone is allowed to express their opinions in a civil and non-confrontational manner. If you disagree state it in a civil manner.

i_shoaib
June 30, 2007, 08:43 AM
No need to over-react buddy!

I am not. Perhaps you need to not as well.

Everyone is allowed to express their opinions in a civil and non-confrontational manner.

That's what has happened on this thread. We don't your Lordship to make lofty judgements about what is civil and what is not.

Buddhika_s
June 30, 2007, 08:59 AM

I wasn't demeaning Sangakkara the person or the cricketer, just saying that that piece of sledging was lame and didn't serve any purpose. South Africans may be obsessed with sports, but they do have a life beyond sports, which unfortunately many in the subcontinent don't.

I have utmost respect for him as a person, WK and batsman, so the other parts of your post are redundant.

if you haven't listen to kumar's interview with sanjey majekar and tony greigh listen to it, it's on cricinfo. he said when sri lanka was touring 2002 in the first test match SA started sledging and everything and SL came back in the second test match sledging at SA too. that was the first time it happend. sanjey asked kumar who SL like to sledge and he said, "South Africa, because they take things far more personal than they are"

as long as sledging go they are all personal no matter who plays who nowaydays.

Buddhika_s
June 30, 2007, 09:02 AM
Listen my SL friends,
No matter what you say, you are not going to change my perspective on Sangakara. So, don't bother. I never said sledging is not part of the game, you guys better start reading what I posted. But as understood by the rest, I did not like the fact that Sangakara had to come down to sledging to take a 17 year old's wicket. He has lost my respect and thats all.

may be when your players start learning to sledge your opinion will be different. i mean SL only has the mental edge over BD right? lol

Nafis_BD
June 30, 2007, 09:29 AM
My respect for Malinga has seriously gone up!!!

gatekeeper
June 30, 2007, 10:30 AM
A link with picz from Trinidad posted ... post # 10 ... :)

I was refering to the interactions with Lankans cricketers.

Ehsan
June 30, 2007, 11:03 AM
may be when your players start learning to sledge your opinion will be different. i mean SL only has the mental edge over BD right? lol

Nope, that would not change my mind. Cricket is a gentlemen's game and thats the way it should be. Just like the way your Malinga said, you use your talent to achieve success and not sledging.

If you start reading my posts properly then you will understand what I meant. This is what I said:

I did not say Lanka is not a better team. Get it? I said the reason they are demolishing us is because of the mental edge. We got some fine talent in our team, it is just the matter of application of those talent. And mark my words, someday we will come out strong! The reason we see our team in winning position more frequently against India and Pak is because they do not have a mental edge over us (specially in ODI). Makes sense? I hope so.

Respect is not your privilege, respect is earned. Keep that in mind and I would not bother replying to you guys further because you don't deserve a reply.

Kabir
June 30, 2007, 11:13 AM
Nope, that would not change my mind. Cricket is a gentlemen's game and thats the way it should be.

Actually, there's a lack of understanding that I sense here for the phrase "gentlemen's game".

This is usually used to mean "wealthy men" or "men with big lands" or something of that sort. That's how the term used to be used, and now, with the change in our cultures and norm, we kept the phrase the same, but the meaning changed with the changing meaning of "gentleman".

Ehsan
June 30, 2007, 11:17 AM
It may have changed. Regardless, I would not support sledging as it prevents people to bring out their real talent.

Humbug
June 30, 2007, 02:28 PM
but never liked his bowling action.... I donno how ICC allow his bowling....
Bowling round-arm is not illegal, if unless he straightens his elbow excessively it would be a chuck. If he releases the ball with an arm action lower than shoulder then it would be under-arm and hence illegal. He does neither of these and therefore he is legal.