PDA

View Full Version : Shahriar's brief assault on murali .....

mhj007
June 28, 2007, 11:24 AM
shahriar nafees was looking excellent against murali yesterday for a brief time...he hit 5 boundaries and all of them were very good.he also punished shane warne severely in fatullah when scoring 138....i've always believed that shahriar is a very good player of spin bowling..his technique looks good when playing spinners...also he is more comfortable against the old ball...i think he should come down at no. 4 or 5..that will do great for him and also bd team.he can take bashar's position(no. 4 now)..although he started his career as an opener--that doesn;t mean he will have to play all his life there...sachin started his career as a middle order batsman but blossomed more as an opener.

so...the summary of my post is:sn should come down at no.4 or 5(both odis and tests)...that will be good for him and for bd team.
Junior

Sillypoint
June 28, 2007, 11:27 AM
But it was, as you said, 'brief'.

Sohel
June 28, 2007, 11:29 AM
I'm sick of assaults brief enough to be [..edit..]

WarWolf
June 28, 2007, 11:29 AM
Good point. I think he should come in middle order in tests while as opener in ODIs.

MohammedC
June 28, 2007, 11:30 AM
one of the idea of spin bowling is get the batsman exited so he makes a mistake. I would say SN fell in Muralis trap

Tigers_eye
June 28, 2007, 11:31 AM
This is cricket. The bowlers set up the stupid ones like that. Against Aus, Warne wasn't prepared enough. Having to face him for the first time it happened. What did SN do in the other 3 occation he faced? SN is no longer under the radar. The bowlers have worked out his weaknesses and habits. So they set him up that way. There wasn't any period where SN was on top of Murali. It was always the other way around.

Protic
June 28, 2007, 11:32 AM
Yeah thats not a very bad idea actually.. and yeah SN does play spin very well.. he was doing good too..when he got out..the shot was ON..its just murali took a good catch. Anyway..Maybe if Mushfiqs in and they want to try opening with Javed and Mushfiq ..SN might play at 4. =) SNs showing signs of form!!

mhj007
June 28, 2007, 11:33 AM
But it was, as you said, 'brief'.

yes,brief..but the out was some waht unlucky for him..he hit that ball well enough to get a boundary...and if it was any bd bowler instead of murali..90% chance was that it might have been dropped.
Junior

Tigers_eye
June 28, 2007, 11:36 AM
yes,brief..but the out was some waht unlucky for him..he hit that ball well enough to get a boundary...and if it was any bd bowler instead of murali..90% chance was that it might have been dropped.
Junior
You can't be serious. i thought CI said it was a mis-timed hit? Because of the balls slowness. Give the credit to the bowler for that.

Fazal
June 28, 2007, 11:38 AM
Are you sure it was brief? I thought it was rather underwear attack.

mhj007
June 28, 2007, 11:41 AM
You can't be serious. i thought CI said it was a mis-timed hit? Because of the balls slowness. Give the credit to the bowler for that.

yes i give murali credit..he was trying to get him out like this...but the ball really was hit quite hard..not as hard as nafees wanted..but not slowly at all.
Junior

Tigers_eye
June 28, 2007, 12:13 PM
Are you sure it was brief? I thought it was rather underwear attack.
Neither Briefs nor boxers.
Definitely Hanes!!

gatekeeper
June 28, 2007, 12:20 PM
Battle won, war lost. Same old story.

Ahmed_B
June 28, 2007, 12:50 PM
Shahriar's hara-kiri was nothing different from what Ash did at the end of the day.

al Furqaan
June 28, 2007, 01:21 PM
This is cricket. The bowlers set up the stupid ones like that. Against Aus, Warne wasn't prepared enough. Having to face him for the first time it happened. What did SN do in the other 3 occation he faced? SN is no longer under the radar. The bowlers have worked out his weaknesses and habits. So they set him up that way. There wasn't any period where SN was on top of Murali. It was always the other way around.

thats both true and false...murali definitely had the last laugh...but think about it this way.

thats like saying zaheer, patha, bhajji, kumble were on top of ash during his 158* because ash could have gotten out on the next ball had the innings not ended (theoretically).

SN played some top shots against murali, and if you want to use the warne never played SN" defense, guess what, warne never played test cricket against us and thus bashar, ash, rajin, aftab, and omar were all equally unknown to him.

SN should definitely have shown murali more respect, he is more sensible than that, and more sensible than the likes of ash and aftab and bashar. he played that way cuz he was frustrated at being out of form for so long.

i am confident that SN will shine, despite his technical glitches. you don't need great technique to suceed, tho it helps (sehwag)

Sillypoint
June 28, 2007, 01:29 PM
The thing is, test match is not about briefs or boxers or shorts - it is about trousers or lungis.

[..edit..]

Moderators can delete this post if it is way out of line.

tanvir_nus
June 28, 2007, 01:53 PM
Many of us over the past have been overjoyed by their brilliance on the cricket field. But I want this thread to talk about the weaknesses of the above two.
<o:p> </o:p>
I will start with Shahriar Nafees. Believe me when I say this, I never ever believed the members who thought that he had gained weight in the recent past “until” I saw him run for fielding a ball near the fence. I always thought he had broadened his shoulders which he did which will give him a lot of power and muscle shots out of the ground or that even if he did that wouldn’t matter. After some talks with some club cricketers and from experience of myself being gained weight in the past, I have reached some kind of conclusion as to what is Shahriar Nafees’s problem!
He is
<!--[if !supportLists]-->1)<!--[endif]-->overweight: to all those who think it’s just a problem for him to field or run think again, I have come to know that once you are gain the weight that wasn’t there before your body reacts differently to a ball bowled. For example, the legs either move too slow or too fast, when you are driving the ball sometimes the body leans forward a touch faster (the difference maybe of milliseconds but that makes a hell lot of difference) as a result the bat swings through faster and there are higher chances of slip catches, there are problems with hooks and pulls as well, it’s harder to lean back and get in a perfect position which can yield catches to mid on or the wicket keeper.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->2)<!--[endif]-->low on confidence: ok obviously this everyone can guess. But this is his serious most problem, well you gotta feel sorry for this guy, he is stripped of vice-captaincy, dropped from the squad and everything happening within such a short span of time.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->3)<!--[endif]-->Married: He said this “when I was going through problems in my personal life I was scoring runs, now that I am not scoring runs everyone is saying it’s because of problems in my marriage, but my personal life is better than ever”. Why can’t players settle their carrier before getting married? In that way you can concentrate only on your batting.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->4)<!--[endif]-->Playing the ball very late, I cant single out one type of ball here. The one that is short/full/half pitched on the off/leg side. I mean everything.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->5)<!--[endif]-->Going after the balls that are sometimes too wide for him to go after. He should leave the balls that way wide. In other words, curb his natural attacking instinct a bit more for those balls.
All these problems I hope are already shown to him through video analysis. I mean he has been terribly out of form for a long long time. Not longer than he was in great touch though, but nobody is going to wait that long unfortunately.
I predicted last series that a big one is just around the corner, he gets starts but that’s when the problem occurs. He gets carried away and loses concentration, sign of any batsman not scoring runs. Another sign is to score quickly to overcome all those tiny voices in the head that it’s not happening right. Trust me there are a lot of voices in a batsman’s head. Once you are in the wicket for a long time and been piling on the runs those voices stay shut and it’s like a smooth ride. Otherwise, it’s frustrating and hence the wicket is gifted.
I just want to say he is our classiest batsman but so was Kapali and Rokon. He should try to tell himself that I am not going to think about getting out and losing my place in the squad or silencing the critics, I am just going to do what my job is, that is to score runs and then everything will fall into places. When he is getting the runs I see a hunger in his eyes, and when I see him getting out sometimes I think that he doesn’t feel like he belongs there or in other words not confident about himself at all. He should tell himself that he is only 21 or 22, he can come out of it and be stronger. In my mind, he can be our next captain because he has that knowledge, aggression, attitude and may I add a taste for being a master in sledging.
So to all the Shahriar Nafees fans and himself, my message is prove us wrong because your time is running out buddy. We want you in the team.

ialbd
June 28, 2007, 03:29 PM
too brief.... dekhtei parinai... dhurr...

tonoy
June 29, 2007, 09:00 AM
Nafees is coming back. I can feel it and the pattern of getting out are not the same anymore...

Sohel
June 30, 2007, 03:49 AM
A quickfire 30-something from boundaries when the situation demands our opener to value his wicket, rotate the strike, and move on to 100 plus from 200 plus balls, is NO cause for optimism IMHO.

Zobair
June 30, 2007, 08:15 AM
He looked a lot more confident and assured at the crease in the first test. He should get a "big" score in the second test...I can feel it :)

tonoy
June 30, 2007, 09:09 AM
A quckfire 30-something from boundaries when the situation demands our opener to value his wicket, rotate the strike, and move on to 100 plus from 200 plus balls, is NO cause for optimism IMHO.

you never liked his style of play. It seems that you are just blinded by batsmen's technique. Well technique is part of the game but not everything required to succeed. Yes he has some technical flaws but it can be easily corrected.

Nafis_BD
June 30, 2007, 09:38 AM
You know the word brief summarized my whole post. He is an opener and when he is supposed to play for as long as possible he attacks the bowlers and he just plays a brief innings and gets out, so what's the point of playing a brief innings and assaulting Murali briefly instead if he assaulted Murali for a long time he might have had a hundred or something!!!

israr
June 30, 2007, 12:19 PM
The problem with almost all our batsmen are that they win 'battles', but they don't win the 'war'.

Electrequiem
June 30, 2007, 12:22 PM
The problem with almost all our batsmen are that they win 'battles', but they don't win the 'war'.

Aptly put. That brief "assault" meant nothing, and didn't contribute to the final result in ANY shape or form, did it?

Trigger_Tiger
June 30, 2007, 01:42 PM
If I am not wrong, SN scored a few hundres when he came down lower down the order. So he has been there, done that! So it shouldn't be such a problem for him I think :umm:.....

Sovik
June 30, 2007, 02:42 PM
but murali came on top. few boundaries off murali doesn't win him the battle.

cricket_king
June 30, 2007, 08:46 PM
A quckfire 30-something from boundaries when the situation demands our opener to value his wicket, rotate the strike, and move on to 100 plus from 200 plus balls, is NO cause for optimism IMHO.

Our openers valuing their wicket? Rotating strike? Moving to 100 from 200 plus balls? Don't make laugh. Some people can't seem to understand that this is the best we got. I'm happy when they score 30s. It's a very rare and joyous occasion when they score a few more. We aren't an elite test team. In fact, we aren't even a decent test team. We don't have back-up players who can compete in international level. We have young players who are slowly rising up from their ranks. We have to stick with what we've got for now.

al Furqaan
June 30, 2007, 10:13 PM

for i guy who couldn't break out of single digits against bowlers of the calibre of rankin and langford smith...dominating murali if only for 5 overs or so, i'll take that if it leads to bigger and better things.

sometimes it takes some umph to get into form...

Foozy
July 1, 2007, 01:32 AM
Our openers valuing their wicket? Rotating strike? Moving to 100 from 200 plus balls? Don't make laugh. Some people can't seem to understand that this is the best we got. I'm happy when they score 30s. It's a very rare and joyous occasion when they score a few more. We aren't an elite test team. In fact, we aren't even a decent test team. We don't have back-up players who can compete in international level. We have young players who are slowly rising up from their ranks. We have to stick with what we've got for now.

it wasnt very long ago when no1 had any sign of hope for even our odi team... and since no1 believed in the players... they didnt feel like they owed every1 anything... and so they played along the way they felt they can...
but really.. i think we have learnt a lot from our own past... and that is... "to win... u MUST BELIEVE!!!"... and if u dont believe ... u cant win!!!...
its a game after all... and u can always become better than the best... and u learn from ur own mistakes... and u try to adapt and learn from the talents of others... and u try to reach a new maximum...
... and yes it is possible... we have scored over 400 runs against australia... limiting them to almost half of our score... and we do have the potential.... learn from ur own good days... learn from ur bad ones too... learn from those better than u... and ya.. hopefully we will succeed!!... i have faith!!:)