PDA

View Full Version : External: "Imran fumes after debacle"

Fazal
June 28, 2007, 01:32 PM
Its so refreshing that for the 1st time (may be?) someone from Management is opening his heart and showing their true frustration with the players who are not learning qiuck enough.

Here is the gist. You can read the whole in the dailyStar (http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/06/29/d70629040332.htm)

Imran fumes after debacle
Bishwajit Roy, from Colombo

Every single Bangladeshi present at the Sinhalese Sports club ground yesterday felt that they had become a laughing stock.

Coach Sarwar Imran and former national captain turned selector Akram Khan are no exceptions as they believe that this has happened time and again because the problem remains the same since Bangladesh's entry into the elite arena in 2000.

"It is painful to see that we are still almost same as six years ago. Nothing has changed in our approach to Test cricket because we are making the same old mistakes," said a disappointed Imran....

"We have a bunch of talented cricketers but I must say that we hardly worked out on anything to stay at this level with our heads high. .... Nobody believes that Bangladesh can score 300 runs consistently and in that case what have we achieved in the last five or six years?" queried Imran.

"Just imagine what (Mohammad) Ashraful did. First he played two reverse sweeps against (Muttiah) Muralidaran and how a batsman of his standard then went for a lofted shot (which dismissed him). Rajin (Saleh) also, suddenly and unnecessarily, tried to push (Tillakaratne) Dilshan although he played defensively to those deliveries in his innings. We repeatedly told them not to play high-risk shots but ultimately what happened?" he fumed.

"I think we are not mentally tough to sustain at this level. Our batsmen still think that scoring 30-40 is good enough to keep them in the team. When a batsman scores 30 runs, his duty is to make a big one like what the Sri Lankan batsmen did in this match. .....," he observed......

"I must say our bowling standard has deteriorated. Actually our players are not good learners and they hardly have any personal drive to improve their standards. At this level, you can't depend solely on a coach. I don't know whether they have any vision," he said.

Akram also echoed with Imran's sentiment.

"I can't understand how a player (Mohammad Ashraful) was so inconsistent after making a hundred on his debut. Look at Malinga. He was an ordinary bowler two years ago and now he is the main weapon in his side. Two or three of our players like Habibul Bashar and Ashraful should perform consistently like Aravinda de Silva and Arjuna Ranatunga did in their early days," he said.

I am gald to see that these two are not hyptonized (like some of our fans here) by thier so-called heroics of 2nd innings. They see the true and full picture... and that is drastically nothing changed much... its more same ol same ol.

Now I see hope after Faruq and Dav's era, something will be done (hopefully) with this over hyped under performing inconsistent superstars if they don't fix their problems sooner.

WarWolf
June 28, 2007, 01:39 PM
They are right.

Tigers_eye
June 28, 2007, 01:41 PM
lol, Habibul compared to De Silva. That is the joke of the day. De Silva averaged highest in the team during most of the period. Right now HB is averaging lowest in the team top 8.

cricket_dorshok
June 28, 2007, 01:41 PM
You don't expect that everything will be alright in a day without proper planning in the domestic level. I will give you one example from my first-hand experience so you can understand what is our four-day cricket like. I know many players being happy if they were dropped from the (divisional) squad," he said.
this is the situation of domestic cricket. player being happy for dropping them! what a joke of our FC cricket.

DJ Sahastra
June 28, 2007, 01:42 PM
As Baba Saya "Kola Bagaan Chash Koira Koshto Koira Khao"

Unfortunately, most BD players think that "Kola Bagaan" is already theirs they moment they have scored in 30s or an occasional 50 and so no need for the "Koshta Koira" part.

The only effective treatment is the Babar treatment - "Jongono Dhorle Thaise"

Fazal
June 28, 2007, 01:45 PM
lol, Habibul compared to De Silva. That is the joke of the day. De Silva averaged highest in the team during most of the period. Right now HB is averaging lowest in the team top 8.

And thats the sad part...we invested so much time and energy on these players giving soo many chances....hoping someday they will learn .... but it never happended. May be we chose the wrong players, should have cut our loss and invest into newer breeed of players instead.

al Furqaan
June 28, 2007, 01:49 PM
i agree 100 percent...i dont think i have ever been as frustrated with ash as i was yesterday...but strangely i also feel more hopefull about him and rajin saleh.

sharifk
June 28, 2007, 01:49 PM
When one, two or three players fail, it may be the failing players' fault, but when everyone is failing, it's the employer's fault. I believe there's something wrong about the system. We can't just blame the whole nation and our kids that we are not good enough to learn how to get to the top level. It's unfortunate to hear these kind of negative comments about our players from our coach and management. It's one thing to say that our kids couldn't apply what's been discussed or taught, but in my opinion it's a crime to say such a negative stuff about our young talented players.

Pundit
June 28, 2007, 01:50 PM

Was that a comparison? It was more of where our batman ought to have been by now. And he was just using an example to describe progress.

SS
June 28, 2007, 01:50 PM
Atodin por amar kotha thik hoilo...I was fumed since 2002 or 2003 when they were playing so bad. And after the 2003, I didn't see any positive notable performance in any players. Though I blamed them 100% but now I also blame the officials for not doing their job correctly also. I understand they are not good learning, but what they have did to make national league a 'picnic cricket'.

al Furqaan
June 28, 2007, 01:51 PM
And thats the sad part...we invested so much time and energy on these players giving soo many chances....hoping someday they will learn .... but it never happended. May be we chose the wrong players, should have cut our loss and invest into newer breeed of players instead.

unfortunately the newer breed is doing the same thing:

ash
aftab
SN
rajin
sakib

all are new breed...the problem is in our cultural approach to cricket...and it is understandable...

only SN, mushy, sakib, and rajin are on teh right track, and hopefully they will continue.

bangladesh cricketers lack the professionalism that kenyan, irish, canadian, even zimbabwean players possess. the only reason we are far better than those teams is talent. but that wont cut it at Test level.

sharifk
June 28, 2007, 01:55 PM
The young kids need support and encouragement so that they can learn from their mistakes. It's very unprofessional for our team management to say such things about our players. It's simply CRIME. I am shocked people here can't see that.

Fazal
June 28, 2007, 01:56 PM
... personally I would rather like to see our management admit the truths and say something from thier heart once in awhile rather than b*ll sh*tting all the time for PR reason. I know some people will not agree ... but its just me. This brings everyone to the reality from dream-land that we are more or less in square one in TEST matches.

Also I agree that MGMT' cannot deny their fault when player feel comfortable after scoring 30+ runs and feel that their place is safe and so far they can get away with it.

SS
June 28, 2007, 01:59 PM
Time for us to express our fumes...I hope we can start reaching out all the medias to start addressing the issue and do you guys think a privatization of cricket board might solve this problem.

Fazal
June 28, 2007, 02:01 PM
unfortunately the newer breed is doing the same thing:

ash
aftab
SN
rajin
sakib

Sorry I disagree.

Ash - I don't consider Ash a new breed. He is in big leaguer for 7 years. In sports, its their age along with their professsional career and expericnce that counts; not just age. Just see any sports and how they evalute talent.

Afatb - Haven't tried enough in TEST to deserve too much blame.

Rajin - Even he played less, he is no new comer in big league.

Sakib - I don't know why we keep bringing Sakib as a failure. May be he will be a failure like his elders... but isn't it too early to say that he is not learning from his mistakes?

sharifk
June 28, 2007, 02:03 PM
"I think we are not mentally tough to sustain at this level." This speaks directly about our players, yesterday's, today's and future's. Instead the management should have spoken about re-evaluating our approaches, our strategies and our cricket system as a whole.

Kabir
June 28, 2007, 02:05 PM
Isn't that funny? Good that they're showing their frustration over the situation, but Akram Khan doesn't say a word about Pilot. That's a BIG JOKE.

They're talking about the players only...but what they haven't talked about is that the management hasn't learnt a THING over theyears. The management is even less active than the team players...the players cannot do if they're incapable of playing at this level...the management has to understand that. So Imran and Akram talking about "players' personal drive" should really talk about the "management's personal drive" first. Idiots.

sharifk
June 28, 2007, 02:07 PM
Isn't that funny? Good that they're showing their frustration over the situation, but Akram Khan doesn't say a word about Pilot. That's a BIG JOKE.

They're talking about the players only...but what they haven't talked about is that the management hasn't learnt a THING over theyears. The management is even less active than the team players...the players cannot do if they're incapable of playing at this level...the management has to understand that. So Imran and Akram talking about "players' personal drive" should really talk about the "management's personal drive" first. Idiots.

Finally someone gets it.

Fazal
June 28, 2007, 02:07 PM

Good Catch Bhigna... hmmmm..... buddy buddy .... drinking buddy may be? I mean coca cola drinking buddy, beacuse now a days 1 bottle liquir may cost you three months jail. (based on 5 years jail for 21 bottles)

Fazal
June 28, 2007, 02:10 PM

Good point. But just keep in mind: these two (Imran and Akram) was not part of the old regime. So when blame the MGMT its very resonable. However it may be not be fair to blame Akram or Imran for that. Akam was not there and Emran was just a coach.

betaar
June 28, 2007, 02:10 PM
all are new breed...the problem is in our cultural approach to cricket...and it is understandable...

I think the problem is our approach to life as a nation. We Bangladeshis are very much short sighted and can only focus on small goals. Our nation is very much success starved and so are these kids, of who mostly are from poor families, who are playing for the country. These kids are just happy to be where they are at, making it to the national team and making their friends and family proud is achievement enough for them. So once they are in the national team they probably feel that their life is fulfilled with success, staying in the team for the long haul is a mere routine without any intention of doing good. So once they play for the team and score 30 odd runs they think it’s good enough to stay in the team since no body is doing better any way. These kids are not any different than what and how we see life as a nation.

sharifk
June 28, 2007, 02:12 PM
Good point. But just keep in mind. These two (Emran and Akram) not part of the old regime. So it may be not be fair to blame them. Akam wa not there and Emran was just a coach.

It's even more alarming that these two who can speak so unprofessionally are part of the new regime.

sharifk
June 28, 2007, 02:14 PM
I think the problem is our approach to life as a nation. We Bangladeshis are very much short sighted and can only focus on small goals. Our nation is very much success starved and so are these kids, of who mostly are from poor families, who are playing for the country. These kids are just happy to be at where are they, making it to the national team and making their friends and family proud is achievement enough for them. So once they are in the national team they probably feel that their life is fulfilled with success, staying in the team for the long haul is a mere routine without any intention of doing good. So once they play for the team and score 30 odd runs they think it’s good enough to stay in the team since no body is doing better any way. These kids are not any different than what and how we see life as a nation.

This implies that we will lever be good in cricket if we don't change our approach to life! I am so surprised and shocked to read that since it just can't be true. I recommend just change our cricket management approach.

Fazal
June 28, 2007, 02:15 PM
It's even more alarming that these two who can speak so unprofessionally are part of the new regime.

Yes you can tell that.... but you cannot deny that they are telling the truth instead of sugar coating it. As i said sometimes we need that once in a while to bring us to reallity about where we really are.

SS
June 28, 2007, 02:17 PM
forget cricket play kabadi!

MohammedC
June 28, 2007, 02:19 PM
Imran however said that the real problem actually lies on our poor domestic first-class structure. "You don't expect that everything will be alright in a day without proper planning in the domestic level. I will give you one example from my first-hand experience so you can understand what is our four-day cricket like. I know many players being happy if they were dropped from the (divisional) squad," he said.

Well we know we have very poor domestic cricket structure. Question is has BCB found the right solution.

sharifk
June 28, 2007, 02:19 PM
Yes you can tell that.... but you cannot deny that they are telling the truth instead of sugar coating it. As i said sometimes we need that once in a while to bring us to reallity about where we really are.

There is a difference between telling the truth and speaking unprofessionally. And this can't be the reality that "we are not mentally tough to sustain at this level." I mean we as a nation.

MohammedC
June 28, 2007, 02:20 PM

Kabadi is supposed to be our national sport but we get beaten by India and Pakistani

Ahmed_B
June 28, 2007, 02:24 PM
May be we chose the wrong players, should have cut our loss and invest into newer breeed of players instead.
This 'new breed' fascination is useless. How many times we will keep changing out team-formations? The problem is in our longer-version-match-temperament. And NONE of the cricketers in BD starting from the age of 10 to 40 has got any experience of competitive longer version matches. How can we just expect any of them to be better in Test matches?!

The problem is in the structure. Our players try to learn by playing in the international stage... because they have nothing similar to it in the domestic level.

Fazal
June 28, 2007, 02:24 PM
There is a difference between telling the truth and speaking unprofessionally. And this can't be the reality that "we are not mentally tough to sustain at this level." I mean we as a nation.

I think you are stretching it a bit... he didn't meant that... atleast thats not the feeling I got.

I get a feeling that some people are trying to killing the messenger rather than disputing his message. Thats really sad.

WarWolf
June 28, 2007, 02:25 PM
What they said is partially right. But reading the article, I got the impression that they want to put all the blame on the players. They didn't want to take any responsibility for it nor want BCB to be found guilty of mismanagement. This is really pathetic.

SS
June 28, 2007, 02:25 PM
Kabadi is supposed to be our national sport but we get beaten by India and Pakistani
Ah well then we gota play Kana machi.

Kabir
June 28, 2007, 02:27 PM
Ah well then we gota play Kana machi.

Unfair, eibhabe hashano uchit na...I was in a fighting mood :floor:

betaar
June 28, 2007, 02:28 PM
This implies that we will lever be good in cricket if we don't change our approach to life! I am so surprised and shocked to read that since it just can't be true. I recommend just change our cricket management approach.

One other thing I want to add, is the lack of peer competition. See, we have very few players in our pool for the national team and most of them know that there's nobody to replace them. Even if they are replaced they can bet their lives that those players would also not succeed to even stay in the team any longer (let's say couple of series or 3-4 tests max). So, without the pressure of total elimination and non-existence of personal hunger, they never want to go the extra mile and make themselves better.

May be it's too early to use this an example, but I am going to use this example anyway: just look at Shahriar Nafees, we were told that he's been working his butt off to get himself back in form and I think it's paying off. I really loved his attitude to improve which showed in his batting in the 2nd inning.....it's unfortuante how he got out....he was playing so well.:hairpull:

So all our players need to set their personal goal and improvement curve so that they can deliver for the team as a whole, only then success will come, nothing will work if they don't put their mind to it.

Fazal
June 28, 2007, 02:34 PM
This 'new breed' fascination is useless. How many times we will keep changing out team-formations? The problem is in our longer-version-match-temperament. And NONE of the cricketers in BD starting from the age of 10 to 40 has got any experience of competitive longer version matches. How can we just expect any of them to be better in Test matches?!

The problem is in the structure. Our players try to learn by playing in the international stage... because they have nothing similar to it in the domestic level.

Fundamentally I don't disagree with you. Unless we fix the structure and enforce tranparancy in selecting/rewarding players it will be "Garbage in Garbage out".

I really liked his following comments:

"Our batsmen still think that scoring 30-40 is good enough to keep them in the team. When a batsman scores 30 runs, his duty is to make a big one like what the Sri Lankan batsmen did in this match."

But even in short term, the MGMT should enforce what they are looking for. For exmaple if a player score 30 and get out playing rash shot for coupel of times, they can make him sit for next game as a punishment by replacing some one esle. Even the substiture player fails, atelast it will send a clear message to the players.

Ahmed_B
June 28, 2007, 02:38 PM
BTW.... I think this expression of anger is very natural. No foreign coach will do it because they will be accused of being rude to the players. But to any local coach/selector, the current bunch of younger BD players are like 'kids of the same age of their sons'. They actually have the kind of relation with these players for which they can vent like this. I dont think it will have any negative effect on the players. Infact, it is possible that it may make the batsmen more alart in the next matches to perform better.

sharifk
June 28, 2007, 02:43 PM
BTW.... I think this expression of anger is very natural. No foreign coach will do it because they will be accused of being rude to the players. But to any local coach/selector, the current bunch of younger BD players are like 'kids of the same age of their sons'. They actually have the kind of relation with these players for which they can vent like this. I dont think it will have any negative effect on the players. Infact, it is possible that it may make the batsmen more alart in the next matches to perform better.

Coaches do show their anger to players when the time is appropriate. But let's make no mistake about it that conversation wasn't with the players. It was in front of the media.

WarWolf
June 28, 2007, 02:47 PM
Coaches do show their anger to players when the time is appropriate. But let's make no mistake about it that conversation wasn't with the players. It was in front of the media.
Exactly this is my point also. Going in front of media this way reminds me of Chappel.

SS
...Kana machi bo boo..jake pabi thake choo...

betaar
BTW.... I dont think it will have any negative effect on the players. Infact, it is possible that it may make the batsmen more alart in the next matches to perform better.

totally agree, there's a saying in Bangla, "marer upor oshhudh nai".:D

Fazal
June 28, 2007, 02:48 PM
Actually anyone follows MLB or NFL (in USA) should know that this kind of blow-off (rip off of player/players) in front of media by coaches is nothing new. It doesn't happen every day... but it happend once in a while.

If the players cannot handle that, then I have to guess they are not professionally matured enough to play in the BIG league. They will continue to crumble in pressure. When you play for the national team, we should stop baby-siiting and pampering them. Let them face the real world which is LEAN and MEAN and show no mercy.

sharifk
June 28, 2007, 02:53 PM
Actually anyone follows MLB or NFL (in USA) should know that this kind of blow-off (rip off of player/players) in front of media by coaches is nothing new. It doesn't happen every day... but it happend once in a while.

It may happen in a one or two against another scenario. As I said earlier, if just one, two or three fail, it's the failing players responsiblity. But when everyone fails, it's the system's fault. The way Imran and Akram have spoken, they were implying that our players (as if we as a nation) aren't good enough. It's unheard of in professional world.

Kabir
June 28, 2007, 02:54 PM
For those who are questioning this approach by Akram and Imran, trust me, you guys should just go have a popsicle and enjoy the summer. There's nothing unprofessional about it.

Ahmed_B
June 28, 2007, 02:59 PM
Same thing... infact more effective! Its like venting at the kids so loud that even the neighbours can hear it! May make the kids even more ashamed of themselves!

Jake bole pure bangali-style jharibaji!! ;)

Fazal
June 28, 2007, 03:01 PM
It may happen in a one or two against another scenario. As I said earlier, if just one, two or three fail, it's the failing players responsiblity. But when everyone fails, it's the system's fault. The way Imran and Akram have spoken, they were implying that our players (as if we as a nation) aren't good enough. It's unheard of in professional world.

Well as I said before, your comment about "it's the system's fault" well taken and not disputed by any.

However again I think we are enterpreting (bold part)differently what Akram said. Reading what Akram said: The current set of national players (he never mentioned the whole nation) are not good enough. I don't know why you are bring the whole nation stuff in this debate.

WarWolf
June 28, 2007, 03:05 PM
Same thing... infact more effective! Its like venting at the kids so loud that even the neighbours can hear it! May make the kids even more ashamed of themselves!

Jake bole pure bangali-style jharibaji!! ;)
Though really couldn't like the style, but i gotta admit that this may be effective. We have tried to smimulate them in so many ways. But all failed in the end. Let's see what will be the reaction of direct action.

Mahmood
June 28, 2007, 03:06 PM
Unless we have a first class system where they are batting for 4-8 sessions straight regularly, this will continue to happen, we cant blame them. BCB has to realize and do this, sooner or later.

SS
June 28, 2007, 03:08 PM
Unless we have a first class system where they are batting for 4-8 sessions straight regularly, this will continue to happen, we cant blame them. BCB has to realize and do this, sooner or later.
And cricket should be played 12 months straight, not sure how it can be arranged in rainy seassons. Indoor stadium may be.

WarWolf
June 28, 2007, 03:10 PM
BCB can make a new rule for the players. They need to spend atleast one hour each day in BC.

ialbd
June 28, 2007, 03:21 PM
we badly need a sport psychiatrist in action.....

sharifk
June 28, 2007, 03:28 PM
Well as I said before, your comment about "it's the system's fault" well taken and not disputed by any.

However again I think we are enterpreting (bold part)differently what Akram said. Reading what Akram said: The current set of national players (he never mentioned the whole nation) are not good enough. I don't know why you are bring the whole nation stuff in this debate.

When he mentioned about no improvement in 6 years, and our players aren't good learners not about any specific players, it's obvious I read it that way. It seems the idea has gotten to other members in the forum as well as some have suggested playing other sports as if we aren't good for cricket. Anyway if their comments are about current players, are they suggesting the slections of current national players were wrong since non-learners shouldn't be in the national team? If not, aren't they saying we don't have good learner type of players in the country? What are they implying? Anyway I said enoug about this.

cricket_pagol
June 28, 2007, 03:37 PM
I think it was high time that these players were chastised a bit. I hope this will motivate the players to do better in the remaining test matches.

Fazal
June 28, 2007, 03:38 PM
Anyway if their comments are about current players, are they suggesting the slections of current national players were wrong since non-learners shouldn't be in the national team?

Yes ... I think thats what they meant. Now as few others mentioned that ultimately the real blame goes to MGMT for overall failure and for not enforing their own rules that they believe ( e.g. 30 run and out recklessley is not good enough). They have the power, so why not enforce it?

However also please keep in mind these two (Imran and Akram) were not part of the BCB Mgmt team who so far made all critical decisions. So blaming BCB, I can understand; blaming these two I think is not fair yet.

Plus we also see that both of them shy away from directly critisining the failure of BCB MGMT team. Well we know why... nobody wants to loose their job. In that case they may not be opening thier mind.

cricket_pagol
June 28, 2007, 03:44 PM
However also please keep in mind these two (Imran and Akram) were not part of the BCB Mgmt team who so far made all critical decisions. So blaming BCB, I can understand; blaming these two I think is not fair yet.

You can hardly blame sarwar Imran, but Akram Khan deserves a fair share of the of blame as a selector.

zahid
June 28, 2007, 03:46 PM
Nice article. Thanks Fazal.

Fazal
June 28, 2007, 03:47 PM
You can hardly blame sarwar Imran, but Akram Khan deserves a fair share of the of blame as a selector.

Just after one selection (and as a new-comer 3rd selector)? We all know its mainly Faruk's (main selector) selection. I doubt how much input he had.

Well if you feel that way.... but I would rather wait and give him some room before I criticise him.

Sadz
June 28, 2007, 03:51 PM
It is very frustrating 2 see Akram Khan and Imran complaining. I mean they have got a point but no need 2 embarass themselves and us by saying 2 much criticism. What have they done then? Well for starters they included Pilot in the team. Yeah they did a really good job of that havent they!? Having said that they did have a point, we repetedly made the same mistakes but then again its not the same players this time. Its a few new blood in there as well.

al Furqaan
June 28, 2007, 04:00 PM
here is something i found astounding:

ash mentioned they had especially practiced batting: 1 hour in nets...they usually do 30 mins.

i am shocked. for a team with such a obvious weakness in batting each top order batsmen needs to bat in the nets 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, all year round.

the BCB needs to have staff and facilities in all 6 divisions so that during domestic season, the contracted national players still get their 2 hours. every single top order batsmen, that is contracted must do this. bowling all-rounders like mashrafee need to spend 1 hour every day batting in the nets.

when you aren't running between wickets, there is no excuse of fatigue.

i will prolly start another thread to discuss this.

WarWolf
June 28, 2007, 04:07 PM
I already started one about this. It is now merged with some similar thread.
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=22081

israr
June 28, 2007, 04:15 PM
Keep them coming, I want more of such criticisms. This can help Ash and his other comrades to get fired up before the 2nd test.

Sillypoint
June 28, 2007, 04:25 PM
Our players are tuned for ODIs; so is our management (and ICC maybe) who can not arrange regular test matches for us. On top of that you've got 20/20.

In most other Test playing nations the entry to national team is through the test team. In our case it is the other way round. You bang bang well in ODI and you are selected for tests. This becomes your habit after playing 50 ODIs and when you come out to play test after a long time you just can not cope with it. Moreover, if you are playing Murali and Malinga (the freaks of nature) you have no chance at all.

We need a systematic change in the way we manage our cricket. (Let's not get into selector-player ethical issues right here - which is whole another thread)

Pundit
June 28, 2007, 04:40 PM
For those who are questioning this approach by Akram and Imran, trust me, you guys should just go have a popsicle and enjoy the summer. There's nothing unprofessional about it.

Marvellous comment!

rupantor
June 28, 2007, 04:44 PM
Prothom Alo Reports the same:

[বাংলা]প্রথম ইনিংসে স্কোরবোর্ডে পঞ্চাশ ওঠার আগেই তিন উইকেট পড়ে যাবার পরও সাজানো ফাঁদ দেখেও পুল করতে গিয়ে আউট হবার “অপরাধ” স্বীকার করে নিয়েছেন আশরাফুল। কোনোটাই নতুন নয়, এর আগেও অনেকবার এমন ভুল করেছেন এবং “অপরাধ” স্বীকার করেছেন।কিন্তু ভুল থেকে শিখেছেন কোথায়? গত পরশু খেলার শেষলগ্নে মুরালিকে উড়িয়ে মারতে গিয়ে ক্যাচ দিয়ে এলেন লং অনে। নিজেই স্বীকার করছেন, “আমিই খেলাটা নস্ট করে দিয়ে এসেছি”। নিজের ভুল স্বীকার করার এই “সততা”র প্রশংসা করবেন? একবার-দুবার হয়তো করবেন, কিন্তু বারবার? পরশু আউট হয়ে ফেরার পর ড্রেসিংরুমে ব্যাট-প্যাড ছুড়ে ফেলতে দেখে তাঁকে সেটাও মনে করিয়ে দেয়া হয়েছে।[/বাংলা]

The description of Ashraful’s “Mistake-Apology-Mistake” cycle in the report reminds me of the old “Ashraful and Rabid Imam: A Special Unfinished Interview (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=16070)” thread in BC. The Cycle of “Mistake-Apology-Mistake” was also the essence of this popular thread.

akabir77
June 28, 2007, 04:51 PM
I think we need a foreign consultant selector too. cause none of them have ever played for long time in TEST arena and they r going by like most of us after every players failure they r doubting themselves. so we need some one who can tell these people these r players should be given long run in TEST area. Cause selectors think players like tusher, kapali r gone as they got enough chances. now the new players can't do anything too. so we need to have some one with knowledge who can tell by seeing them in nets who can play better hence given long time in TEST and who can't.

For example SAKIB. he got the chance cause he was good in ODI. now you can't drop him after just 1/2 test. you have to let him play at least 5/6 before saying no you have to go back and fix u r basics. but who can say that. i think selector r like us going by stats else how could they try out new players when player like tusher was ready and already toured SL like months back and scored some good scores...

cricketboy
June 28, 2007, 05:17 PM
Imran is right. look at Rajin, he always throws his wicket after scoring 40-50.

Sovik
June 28, 2007, 05:36 PM
Imran is right. look at Rajin, he always throws his wicket after scoring 40-50.

thats not only rajin. ashraful was playing well and threw away his wicket just before the stumps.

Miraz
June 28, 2007, 05:42 PM
This is what Imran is saying

"We have to arrange a meaningful four-day competition, not a fun one. The time has come to plan long-term to make it competitive. Otherwise we will not find the solution to this problem," he suggested by recalling his experience to watch first-class matches in Australia.And this is what Bulbul is saying in his interview (http://banglacricket.com/html/article.php?item=467)

The National Cricket League, which is the only 4 day tournament in Bangladesh, is played in a picnic mood. There is lack of planning, facilities and overall format of the National Cricket League. This is holding us back. A picnic style first class cricket can never make players ready for the challenges of Test cricket. For that very reason, we are not getting quality players from the domestic circuit and are depending on age group players to carry us forward. This type of stop gap solution can only ruin the long term prospects of Bangladesh cricket.Not much different. I just wonder when BCB will get the message.

sadi
June 28, 2007, 06:13 PM
I feel like it was necessary for them to speak out loud and send a message to the players. The problem is we can't blame the players 100 percent either as our domestic cricket doesn't prepare them for the longer version of cricket. However, after playing 30+ test matches, you should be prepared. I can use that excuse for Sakib but not for Ashraful or Bashar.

Tiger Bhai
June 28, 2007, 07:24 PM
Since BD Cric' in the development period, there is no shame looking outside. Deshi heart & sole players are in all over the world, some of them are good student of cricket, you can find all sorts.. good batsman, v-fast blrs, RA or LA spinners, tall big small.. just waiting to be asked!! there are many skills can be shared among.

One World
June 28, 2007, 08:48 PM
Cant blame the coach, home work from players is below parr and that unveils the hidden fustration.

al Furqaan
June 28, 2007, 09:20 PM
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=22081

i thought so...good thread to start. hats off...just hope BCB and coaches read it.

SMHasan
June 28, 2007, 09:29 PM
I think we all know what are to be done to get out from this. Very disappointing and agonising for all of us.

After the first innings we needed some patience from the top order but again we saw some impatient, reckless batting. Ashraful worked very hard, he looked very determined not to loose his wicket on the third day and when it seemed that we were going to begin the 4th day with 5 wickets in hand then he played a rush shot. And with that all his hard works went in vain.

Rajin showed that he,longside others is not equiped with a strong mind. You need to be determined, focused to play a long innings. 20 or 30 runs won't save a test match, in fact it never did for anyone. If we want to do well then we need to make sure that we score 300+ runs in both innings consistantly, otherwise no hope.

These players are not for the longer version of the game. Until they play lot of long innings they will do the same thing again and again and again.

AsifTheManRahman
June 28, 2007, 09:35 PM
Khiase, Imran sir khepse. I hope he makes them toil for their mistakes like he used to make us when we played school cricket under him, if and whenever he gets the slightest chance.

ononto
June 28, 2007, 09:57 PM

Congrat as the first moderator for BanglaCabadi.com

shaoun
June 28, 2007, 09:58 PM
bangladeshi players are too inconsistant. i couldnt believe that they lost 5 wickets within 5 overs in the forth day. thats a shame. we need to play more and more test cricket to be a better test team. i am also really dissapointed with some of the players. like shariar nafees and ashraful. shariar hit murali for 4 twice and got out when he try to play a big shot again. and the way ashraful got out this is not his first time.

ononto
June 28, 2007, 10:04 PM
here is something i found astounding:

ash mentioned they had especially practiced batting: 1 hour in nets...they usually do 30 mins.

i am shocked. for a team with such a obvious weakness in batting each top order batsmen needs to bat in the nets 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, all year round.

the BCB needs to have staff and facilities in all 6 divisions so that during domestic season, the contracted national players still get their 2 hours. every single top order batsmen, that is contracted must do this. bowling all-rounders like mashrafee need to spend 1 hour every day batting in the nets.

when you aren't running between wickets, there is no excuse of fatigue.

What a beauty! I was shocked as well when I first hear about it. BCB really needs to do something about it. All the batsmen should get AT LEAST 2-3 HOURS OF BATTING PRACTICE A DAY, 5 DAYS A WEEK, ALL YEAR ROUND. That's their profession, thats what they must do to be in the team and to carry national flag.

ononto
June 28, 2007, 10:06 PM
... personally I would rather like to see our management admit the truths and say something from thier heart once in awhile rather than b*ll sh*tting all the time for PR reason. I know some people will not agree ... but its just me. This brings everyone to the reality from dream-land that we are more or less in square one in TEST matches.

Also I agree that MGMT' cannot deny their fault when player feel comfortable after scoring 30+ runs and feel that their place is safe and so far they can get away with it.

I agree with that Fazal bhai.

SherKhan
June 28, 2007, 10:17 PM
Yea good article

Beamer
June 28, 2007, 10:50 PM
akabir77

Foreign consultant selector? What an idea. You have something here. They may need some coaching as well. They are doing a pretty decent job with one day selection however. Its good to see thinking people..

Sarwar is pissed and rightly so. He called out the 'skip' in public. Take some guts to do that. Would he have done this to Bashar though? a senior player? Probably not. Ashraful is young and probably doesn't have ego problems. He can use this public outting to channel his anger , concentration and energy on the field and with his bat. We will benefit. However, overt criticism by the coaching stuff shouldn't be done on a regular basis. He is after all the captain, a young one at that, and it can be a dangerous ploy . It might lead to rebellion, indifference, and all sorts of divisive things. He should be careful. Don't over do it. We are all frustrated like him and that much is understandable.

Kabir
June 28, 2007, 11:33 PM
He should be careful. Don't over do it. We are all frustrated like him and that much is understandable.

Agreed. But I haven't heard him talk like this before...if it's not the first time, then may be it happened during my haitus from cricket.

Everyone who knows Sarwar Imran (if you don't, ask ATMR for first hand experience), him talking like this is just not anything different today than it was yesterday. He's strict, and rightly so. I would love to see him impose his punishment on the team members, given that there're mostly young guys playing in the team. It's difficult to act like this when players like Bashar/Pilot/Rafiq are involved.

Sarwar Imran has done everything right. The only thing that I assume he hasn't done to perfection is talking about individual players and their failures...like Pilot. Being kata-chera with players is one thing, but being extra tough on players is another.

Trigger_Tiger
June 29, 2007, 12:04 AM
Sarwar Imran is a megalomaniac and Akram Khan himself is not good enough to speak what he spoke from the point of view of a player even though he was a good player of spin bowling.

In terms of breaking out of their shells to the media, that was very unprofessional and extremely selfish of them to do. Such comments should be reserved for the board room.
I would like to see exactly how good they do themselves after such long words. If they, like the players, can talk so big, then they themselves ought to perform even better to change it. Maniacs I say! A foul cry by them for coming out in the public about this!

The players are way off their targets! Nafees I think (no offense to him or any of his fans/supporters) looks at himself as a hero, a "DHONI".....he needs a hair cut and Ammur hatey mair to get back on track!

Shakib should stick to ODI cricket for now and go to play the 4 day FCs PERIOD!

Draft Mushfiqur Rahim, bid Khaled Mashud goodybe. Bring back Aftab Ahmed, experiment with Tamim Iqbal.

Bring back Nafees Iqbal, try out Mehrab Jr. and get Enamul back in the team.

PLAY 4 DAY CRICKET WITH OUR OWN A TEAM!!!!!
PLAY 4 DAY CRICKET WITH A TEAMS OF OTHER BIGGER NATIONS!!!!!

Put the egos aside and work harder to make any significant difference is what I say :up:!!!!!

Ahmed_B
June 29, 2007, 01:22 AM
i thought so...good thread to start. hats off...just hope BCB and coaches read it.

WarWolf & al Furqaan,
I feel the two of you have something in your minds... and I like the idea. It sounds like a valid point to discuss. But then, I would request WarWolf to take a bit more time and elaborate the point in the light of "BD Coaching Style-time spend in batting practice vs. fitness training". The initial post made by WW in his thread was too brief.. more like a reaction-comment, for which I decided to attach it to the original news thread.

I also like al Furqaan's point about inability to rotate the strikes. Can you two come up with a combined write-up focussed on these two issues: Practice Time + Strike rotation weakness? I don't think it will be a bad idea to have a thread on this particular side of our cricket: Nature of BD's practice sessions.

PoorFan
June 29, 2007, 03:26 AM
WarWolf & al Furqaan,
I feel the two of you have something in your minds... and I like the idea. It sounds like a valid point to discuss. But then, I would request WarWolf to take a bit more time and elaborate the point in the light of "BD Coaching Style-time spend in batting practice vs. fitness training". The initial post made by WW in his thread was too brief.. more like a reaction-comment, for which I decided to attach it to the original news thread.

I also like al Furqaan's point about inability to rotate the strikes. Can you two come up with a combined write-up focussed on these two issues: Practice Time + Strike rotation weakness? I don't think it will be a bad idea to have a thread on this particular side of our cricket: Nature of BD's practice sessions.
<!--StartFragment -->Other than those field / technical training, they should have 'home room' once in a week ( for half or full day ) to only discuss and analyze cricket technique, strategy, stats etc. It should be more like a class room rather than a 'meeting' with proper presentation, proper documents, proper reasoning, proper conclusion, and proper guidance / execution. I know they have video analyzing session once in a while before any series start, even that without proper presentation and documentation I doubt. What I am trying to say is, a video session of a old game for 1 or 2 hours and some instant tips from coach or video analyst seems not enough to grasp everything for our players that has been presented in that session. After leaving the session, perhaps after few days, couple of snapshot memory of that session may left in their mind, but without proper documentation, reasoning, guidance ( all written in that document ), players cant go back and review or refocus time to time I guess.

Since they are making same mistake over and over again, even after being told not to numerous time, shows their inability to learn fast or with existing ordinary way, its time ( already late perhaps ) to think different and find more effective, specific but fast way. Hence I think they ( national pool players those who are paid ) need cricket class at least a day in a week in the time off series, and a hour in a day for team members while on a series. Computer analyst or whoever it is, should prepare those documents ( papers with data, graph etc. ) prior to the class on various cricket technique, strategy, stats etc., consulting with coach.

It may sound like treating players as school boys, but then again if we think about any professional training program its not that unusual either. Besides those class and documents will help to bring common knowledge, understanding, standard, responsibility, accountability, team work, and fast result I think. Because of those documents, players will be able to review as many time they want and rethink, also will help to skill transfer to others, those who are not in the pool or juniors.

Sohel
July 1, 2007, 05:03 AM
Truth hurts, whatever the source and however it's told.