PDA

View Full Version : Redefining Aim for TEST match

riad
June 28, 2007, 11:24 AM
Guys, the team should redefine the aim for test results. Instead of extending the game on 5th day our plan should be "make the opponents bat twice".
That would serve many ways ... our batsman should bat well. our bowlers should try to take wickets, game would be interestingly positive etc. [may be we can't do it NOW but that should be our reasonable short term goal].
Extending the game wouild just mean all [batsman/bowler] to become batsman and bowlers lose their edge in bowling.

Just my thought, lets see what you guys think.

riad

Sohel
June 28, 2007, 11:27 AM
A rose by any other name ...

Baundule
June 29, 2007, 04:53 AM
The basic issimple:

1. When batting:

a) just dont give away your wicket. Concentrate on each delivery and dont try to show unneccesary heroics.

b) Dont ever look at your personal score. If scoring a 30 or 50 or even a hundred gives you a feeling that you have already done your job, then you are not worthy of playing test matches.

2. When bowling:
a) Evaluate the situation. If it needs going for the kill, attack all the way. This should be the strategy specially when a new batsman arrives. Go defensive if the situation deserves giving away as few runs as possible and the opposition wickets does not matter. (e.g., say, the opposition got 500/4 and trying to score as many runs as possible before declaring)

b) Care for each delivery. A single loose delivery in each over makes the good work in the other 5 deliveries in vain. Bowl according to the fielding.

Bottomline:

We dont need to set any specific target before the start of the match. Just try at doing the best.

Foozy
June 29, 2007, 05:13 AM
i agree with u Baundule...

not related but..
guys dont u think its really lame that bd dosent hav any batting coach??... i mean we hav all these talented batsmen but they all end up messing everythin up every single time.. and it is both technical and mental attitude problems... so i guess we really badly need a batting coach!!!...
and especially since Bulbul is all geared up for it... y not hire him even if not any1 else??... i dont see any complications here... because this is extremely important... especially for bd team!!...
i hope the management realize this and get a batting coach on an urgent basis... coz this is not workin the way it is....

israr
June 29, 2007, 07:22 AM
Aim for any game should always be to win it!

Ahmed_B
June 29, 2007, 08:04 AM
ouch! israr!

Rubu
June 29, 2007, 08:06 AM
How would we get the game to 5th day without making the opponent bat twice? And how would it change the quality of batting and bowling?

riad
June 29, 2007, 10:07 AM
its very easy to take the game to 5th day ....
the oppo would bat for 3 days. we would be all out twice within 1.5 days ..... thats your 5th day.
think about it how many innings our bowlers bowl until now? we played 35+ test matches and we bowled may be 40 times instead of 70+ .... our strike bowlers are taking the burdon of batting as well.
If our batsman did their job and keep Mash/Shahadat pressure free i am sure they would get 100's more often then Vaas or other tailenders whoever are getting 100's now a days against us.
Looks its not going to easy to change everything by next match but atleast we could think about changing attitude toward the game .... it might work.

And quality of batt/bowl? Practice is the ONLY way. Instead of charity work/tv time or counting money they should practice all the time.
I don't undersatnd .... if this game was my bread&butter getter [not ignoring the passion] then I would Practice 8/9 hrs a day until I can get results for my employers [thats basically we do at our regular job]. But why these guys can't do that? It must not be the age, around the world people are doing that and great players are saying that too.

How would we get the game to 5th day without making the opponent bat twice? And how would it change the quality of batting and bowling?