PDA

View Full Version : Single Most Important Reason ....

Rubu
June 29, 2007, 08:08 AM
Since our debacle in the first test, we see many many post with what we should do and what is the main problem. Lets see whats the popular belief is.

In your mind, what is the single most important reason we do not do well in test?

SS
June 29, 2007, 08:12 AM
Cricket Structure, and lack of serious and diligent Planning.

Ahmed_B
June 29, 2007, 08:32 AM
I voted for 4-day domestic structure. But I think it should be written like "Quality of Longer version domestic structure"

Rubu
June 29, 2007, 08:35 AM
Ahmed bhai, if you want, go ahead and change the phrasing as I can't do that.

Ahmed_B
June 29, 2007, 08:42 AM
Naah... it's your poll.
I just wrote my opinion about how I would have written it. :)

WarWolf
June 29, 2007, 08:48 AM
I voted for "Batsman's unability to understand test cricket". Though all other options are applicable to some extent. Nice poll Rubu.

Baundule
June 29, 2007, 08:59 AM
Impossible to choose only 1.

ialbd
June 29, 2007, 09:16 AM
hard to pick one, should have been those check-box multiple options poll....

Tigers_eye
June 29, 2007, 09:17 AM
All of the above except too much test cricket. We haven't played test cricket for 13 month streach. We will not play test again for five months after this series.

SS
June 29, 2007, 09:26 AM
Yes there is no test cricket for 5 months according to schedule created by ICC, this will just deteriorate our current situation.

sheikh
June 29, 2007, 09:33 AM
Some of the reasons mentioned are the result of other reasons. Many of the reasons result to "We simply are not good enough to play test ."

sadi
June 29, 2007, 09:36 AM
Too many options. I could've chosen atleast six or seven. I had to go with the domestic cricket structure. It doesn't prepare our players for the test cricket.

zahid
June 29, 2007, 09:38 AM
I would have gone for all! lol

mafizraju
June 29, 2007, 09:39 AM
Its simple. Domestic First class cricket needs more money to the point that it has to be the single most money earner for an individual whether he plays in the national team or not. And All the matches has to be held in the Live Green Bouncy Top. It has to be broadcasted in the TV.

LateCut
June 29, 2007, 10:03 AM
Where is lack of skill and lack of training?

LateCut
June 29, 2007, 10:04 AM
I think lack of skill is the major cause. We do not even have a Tharanga among our chrages.

Dhakablues
June 29, 2007, 10:06 AM
Think of it this way:

An athlete used to be very good at local sports, he trained everyday as that was his passion, dream and liberty. He did dream big but he didnt get into the tracks for the money. Suddenly, a big league corporation comes along and asks him to move to the next level. He thinks, why not? thats absolutely what he wanted his entire life. Money, fame and recognition of what he has been doing.. albeit a bit earlier than he thought it would come but he took that opportunity gladly. But when he moves to the major city, he realizes that he is getting all the money, attention and fame but he is not allowed to be on the track, train for the tournaments or worse, he is being toyed with his managers, coach, physio etc. He doesnt know how to deal with big league tournaments and With one off practices, every other 13 months he gets to be on the real track to perform in front of millions of people. .... What do you think will happen to the athlete?

Get the message? So I dont blame it on the players that they are performing below par or dont know how to play. The fact that we play every 13 months and stop for 4 months and dont play for 6 months,,, how would that help our test cricket abilities? ICC/BCB should be accountable for the test debacles we are having. WHICH TEAM has a schedule like Bangladesh with only 1.5 tests per year?

Rubu
June 29, 2007, 10:09 AM
hard to pick one, should have been those check-box multiple options poll....That was my main goal. To figure out which ONE people thinks the most important one.

Rubu
June 29, 2007, 10:11 AM
Where is lack of skill and lack of training?

Lack of skill can be translated to 'We simply are not good enough' and

lack of training can be translated to 'not having a batting coach' (sorta).

ammark
June 29, 2007, 10:22 AM
That was my main goal. To figure out which ONE people thinks the most important one.

Its a structural issue. Unless first class circuit is highly competitive, no amount of coaching will prepare an otherwise Limited-Overs-only cricketer to play in Test matches properly. They might have the talent and technique, but temperament, patience, stamina is wholly different thing altogether.

Currently all of Bangladesh's national players seem to be coming up from U-19 and High Performance selections. Luckily they play a few four day matches vs foreign teams, but overall its still not consistently done for them to prepare for Test Cricket.

SS
June 29, 2007, 10:30 AM
After July they will have rest of the year of no test cricket. They should have a tournament with all these players(A team, Development squads, division squads, even can invite other interested international teams) to participate in longer version of the game. No big names comes to play in BD any more, but it was so different when Fairbrother, Ranatunga, Jayasuria, Raman played over here.

al Furqaan
June 29, 2007, 10:30 AM
alot of the choices are essentially the same, ie batsmen dont understand test crickt and lack of temperement. cuz bowling and fielding temperement is fine. and so is captaincy under ash.

high quality FC structure in my opinion will not help the current lot - they are already playing the best FC structure in the world: Test cricket. a strong FC infrastructure will help the pipeline come along, and would take years to influence the current bunch.

the problem is they don't understand how to play test crichet: the batsman, that is.

the quality of the FC cricket has nothing to do with the mindset of our players. poor FC leagues will hamper players ability, but as we see, the SNs, ash's, aftabs, tamims, they do NOT lack in any strokemaking or scoring capacity. they lack in shot selection!

and also can't seem to avoid the ridiculous shot with 3 balls to go before stumps.

because we haven't played tests in a while, and we always have these huge gaps in our test schedule, our batsmen have never learned to value test cricket with the only exception being rajin saleh, and shahriar nafees and possibly bashar. everyone else ultimately throws their wicket away.

i believe the success of the world cup will force, fans, media, and management to expect similar successes at the test level. thus you will see the sudden bout of rage that sarwar imran experienced few days back. this will only help our players who have been pampered (and i am guilty of this as mugh as anybody) by fans, media, management.

the boys need someone to threaten to take their belt off and use it for dismal performances. this is the natural progression of our growth.

Rubu
June 29, 2007, 10:45 AM
The reason I picked shot selection is that we have similar quality of One day structure in Bangladesh still we are progressing in ODI but not in test. This makes me think that players are having some basics wrong about test cricket approach. The day they played after Rana's death and won the match, I promised to myself I'll never question their commitment. Our facilities are not too bad either compared to your economical strength. So, the problem seems to me that they do not know what to do at the middle.

Fortuner
June 29, 2007, 01:55 PM
Many reasons
the main reason wld b that mst players are not patient enuff like Javed,Rajin...

SS
June 29, 2007, 02:18 PM
Now I know there are obviously more than one reason. That's why Dave quit, all other coaches quit too. Even some players are quiting in leagues and getting into other occupations. It's kinda impossible to work with BC cricket for so many reasons. And for that reasons, even coaches are not interested coaching our team.

Shafin
June 29, 2007, 02:38 PM
Quality of our 4 day domestic matches,for sure.

al Furqaan
June 29, 2007, 02:54 PM
The reason I picked shot selection is that we have similar quality of One day structure in Bangladesh still we are progressing in ODI but not in test. This makes me think that players are having some basics wrong about test cricket approach. The day they played after Rana's death and won the match, I promised to myself I'll never question their commitment. Our facilities are not too bad either compared to your economical strength. So, the problem seems to me that they do not know what to do at the middle.

no rubu bhai,

OD structure is far better, you have the crap NCL, but you also have CCL and DPL which pay 1000 times more than NCL. money talks quite loudly nowadays...

Electrequiem
June 29, 2007, 02:57 PM
I'd have to go with batsmen not having enough patience to bat out for a long period of time.

MohammedC
June 29, 2007, 05:48 PM
Its the qaulity of our four day domestic games

Antora
June 29, 2007, 07:26 PM
I was confused on which to vote...
any way i must say we are kinda inexperienced
unlike the aussies and the english we dont play test every year!!!
if only we could have our own little ashes with india!!! (sigh)

Spitfire_x86
June 30, 2007, 12:27 AM
Ability.

They just aren't good enough.

Sohel
June 30, 2007, 01:04 AM
Quality and Quantity of our FC cricket. Better, more professional and systematic approach to talent scouting will go a long way also. Then again, we'll need accountable selectors who can spot that talent, and select the right players to groom through a reasonable, transparent and pre-determined system.

WarWolf
June 30, 2007, 01:05 AM
Ability.

They just aren't good enough.
Ability is a set of positive things. Simply saying the players are not good enough means nothing. The goal of the poll is to find out why they are not good enough.

Rabz
June 30, 2007, 06:38 AM
i say a combination of everything...
bit of this, bit of those...

Omio
June 30, 2007, 06:48 AM
i think lack of concentration,