PDA

View Full Version : New Changes in ODIs from 1 Oct '07

Tigers_eye
June 29, 2007, 10:10 AM
There has been new changes for ODIs. This will be affective from Oct 1st, 2007.

The major changes are
1) Free hit after a forward foot no ball.
2) Mandatory ball change after 35 overs. Replaced by a clean used ball.
3) Field size expanding.
4) An additional fielder would be allowed to be outside of the circle for the 2nd and 3rd powerplay.

With this free hit stuff, will it not slow the game down? Bowlers like Taposh, Abdur Razzak, Enam Jr. will have a hard time dealing with this rule. I for one do not like the idea. If you want to penalize the bowlers for aggression then just give away two runs instead of one for each no ball. All international bowlers must develop toe crushing yorkers to negate the free hit.

What do you guys think of the changes? Would our domestic system make changes this coming season?

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/300046.html

ialbd
June 29, 2007, 10:52 AM
3) Field size expanding.

Commented on the free hitting in some other thread, but my question is, the size of the cricket field varies worldwide, right? i see (or hear commentators saying) this is a smaller/larger ground and hence easier/harder for boundaries & over boundaries. Shouldnt there be more stringent specification on that?

Tigers_eye
June 29, 2007, 11:06 AM
Commented on the free hitting in some other thread, but my question is, the size of the cricket field varies worldwide, right? i see (or hear commentators saying) this is a smaller/larger ground and hence easier/harder for boundaries & over boundaries. Shouldnt there be more stringent specification on that?
From the link:
"Minimum boundary sizes in all international matches will be increased with the square boundary measuring at least 150 yards from one side of the ground to the other (minimum 65 yards on one side; previous total minimum size was 140 yards); and the straight boundaries 70 yards at both ends (previous minimum was 65 yards); maximum boundaries to be used allowing for three yards between boundary rope and advertising boards up to a maximum of 90 yards from the centre of the pitch."

The Max is not mentioned here. Fields can be a bit larger than the required settings. By the way, I thought the rest of the world have moved to Metric system. Why this yard measurements?

cricket_dorshok
June 29, 2007, 11:10 AM
The Max is not mentioned here. Fields can be a bit larger than the required settings. By the way, I thought the rest of the world have moved to Metric system. Why this yard measurements?
The leftover of British colonialism.

James90
June 29, 2007, 10:32 PM

If that were the case New Zealand would never be able to host a test. Ideally boundaries should be 80-90m from the centre of the wicket.

battye
July 1, 2007, 02:54 AM
1) Free hit after a forward foot no ball.

Stupid rule. It's already a batsman's game, they might as well just replace bowlers with a bowling machine...

Sohel
July 1, 2007, 02:55 AM
Quality crack must be free over at the ICC.

battye
July 1, 2007, 03:13 AM
Quality crack must be free over at the ICC.

Haha!

cricketboy
July 1, 2007, 03:43 AM
I support all the rules except I would prefer 3 fielders outside the ring on the 3rd powerplay only. Free hit is introduced to add more fun I guess although bowlers will hate it.

battye
July 1, 2007, 03:52 AM
IMO, hit and giggle rules like the free hit should be left to Twenty20, and perhaps domestic 50 over games to bring in crowds.

If the majority of people think ODI's are boring, then play less of them. Instead of meaningless 7 ODI series, play an extra Test match, and play 2 or 3 ODI's instead.

Instead of 2 Test, 3 ODI series, make it 3 Test and 2 ODI.

Antora
July 1, 2007, 03:52 AM
omg all these rulz are wrecking the true spirit of a beautiful game called cricket!!!
the power play iz totally stupid and now all these other rulz!!! omg.. a free hit??? after a no ball??? gosh knowing the way our pace bowlers ball people will score trillionz against us!!! im totally against these rulz...maybe i should write a letter to icc expressing my anger.. they are distroying this beautiful game :(

battye
July 1, 2007, 03:58 AM
omg all these rulz are wrecking the true spirit of a beautiful game called cricket!!!
the power play iz totally stupid and now all these other rulz!!! omg.. a free hit??? after a no ball??? gosh knowing the way our pace bowlers ball people will score trillionz against us!!! im totally against these rulz...maybe i should write a letter to icc expressing my anger.. they are distroying this beautiful game :(

The ICC are obviously trying to kill ODI's. They want more Twenty20's, and more $$$$.
Won't they be in for a shock when the novelty of Twenty20 wears off.

Antora
July 1, 2007, 04:02 AM
The ICC are obviously trying to kill ODI's. They want more Twenty20's, and more $$$$.
Won't they be in for a shock when the novelty of Twenty20 wears off.

ICC is just stupid!!!:mad:
if they create more rediculous ,stupid,annoying and g@y rulz im seriously gonna take action against this!!!:mad:

battye
July 1, 2007, 04:14 AM
Well, I suppose it could be worse.

They could have brought back the supersub.

Antora
July 1, 2007, 04:34 AM
Well, I suppose it could be worse.

They could have brought back the supersub.

uff dont remind me of that rule:mad:
i actually stopped watching cricket when they had dat stupid rule!!!:mad:

nobody
July 1, 2007, 04:54 AM
ODI is boring because it is no more a contest between bat and ball but between two batting parties. Free hit; what is next? No men mid wicket and square leg.

Sohel
July 1, 2007, 05:01 AM
Maybe they'll come up with a "Free Sub" before long. Turkey and avocado in mine please.

Antora
July 1, 2007, 05:57 AM
ok guyz im gettin serious now.... i showed this thread to my dad and he just started to yell at the computer.. (icc) soo does anyone here know there email adress soo i can write a letter to them.. saying to remove these rules.....but before i do write a letter.. do all of u people here hate these rules? or is it just me?

battye
July 1, 2007, 06:07 AM
If you want to write to the ICC, remember they are no longer at Lords.

International Cricket Council

Physical address:
International Cricket Council, Al Thuraya Tower 1, 11th floor, Dubai Media City, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Postal address:
International Cricket Council, P.O.Box 500070, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

cricket_king
July 1, 2007, 06:10 AM
This is ridiculous. Why on earth would they agree to these rules? THEY'RE RUINING ODI CRICKET!! :hairpull:

Antora
July 1, 2007, 06:12 AM
If you want to write to the ICC, remember they are no longer at Lords.

International Cricket Council

Physical address:
International Cricket Council, Al Thuraya Tower 1, 11th floor, Dubai Media City, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Postal address:
International Cricket Council, P.O.Box 500070, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

thnx bhaiya but i was hoping for an email addy

battye
July 1, 2007, 08:16 AM
antora93, if you feel strongly enough about it, it is probably worth sending it to them in writing. They are likely to take more notice of someone who takes the time to write them a letter than someone who just sends them a quick email.

You may even get a well constructed reply if you put it in writing. By email, it will probably just be "Thank you, we appreciate your concern, it has been forwarded to xxxxx".

:)

Nafis_BD
July 1, 2007, 08:32 AM
What on earth is ICC doing??
Just cause of money they are ruining the whole game, Odi should stay as it is now and not change. ICC is messing around with the fans, the players, the future players and etc. This is just not what the game is supposed to be.

Zobair
July 1, 2007, 09:04 AM
Why don't they just replace bowlers with bowling machines?

WarWolf
July 1, 2007, 09:05 AM
Why don't they just replace bowlers with bowling machines?
:floor::floor::floor:.Well said.

WarWolf
July 1, 2007, 09:07 AM
Don't worry guys. I am sure this new rules will finally die just like super sub.