PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea...

jam
June 29, 2007, 03:07 PM
My idea below is only a short term solution.. something like a boot camp. I completely agree with all others that our longer version of domestic cricket needs all sorts of attention.

Here it is.......

Between the Srilanka tour and the New Zealand tour - we have about five months time with no schedule for test cricket. How about selecting a pool of 25 to 30 best players, divide them into two equal strength teams. Then, let them play at least two 5 day matches per month, until November 2007. After each 5 day match, evaluate each player, work on their mistakes, practice and then play the next 5 day match. End of November, pick best 13\14 players for the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Zealand</st1:place></st1:country-region> tour.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[IMG]http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<font color=" /><o:p></o:p>
<FONT color=black>The best thing that will happen after this is, that our current players will at least grow a temperament to play the test cricket. In the mean time, we can do all sorts of planning and implementation of our longer version of domestic cricket.<o:p></o:p>

Electrequiem
June 29, 2007, 03:10 PM
Not bad at all. But some of our players have the tendency to do REALLY well against their team mates, and then do the complete opposite on international matches. To appropriately put it in Bangla, tara international match-e chedraya de.

Tigers_eye
June 29, 2007, 03:11 PM
Are these matches going to be held indoors? Cause I have heard it rains alot and flood is a natural occurance in Bangladesh. May be video game competition?

Do these players need rest? Naa!! They need to play 24/7 - 30.

SS
June 29, 2007, 03:11 PM
In these five months we have so many officials holidays, Eids etc. etc.
Some players who are married will spend some time with families, in-laws, and relatives of families and in-laws.
Some players will get married.

Foozy
June 29, 2007, 03:20 PM
Some players who are married will spend some time with families, in-laws, and relatives of families and in-laws.

5 months is a very very long holiday.... they can definately squeeze in atleast 3 to 4 test matches... its not difficult atall... and the teams can have a couple of extra plyaers in each... include ppl like kapali who are doin well all teh time... that way if some1 has to go ... they can be substituted...
it is a really important thing and the idea was really good!!

Rubu
June 29, 2007, 03:21 PM
Good idea, but as Electrequim said, some of the players will be really good in those matches and then again will not be visible in actual matches. Tushar, Bidyut and Faisal are the first names to come in mind.

AsifTheManRahman
June 29, 2007, 03:28 PM
I've always been stressing on the importance on dividing the best 40 or so into three teams and making them playing against each other during the off season - a lot like what India do every year. I fail to understand why matches like these aren't arranged. Then again, our international schedule has been quite packed over the last couple of years or so.

zahid
June 29, 2007, 04:25 PM
I agree with jam's idea. I am surprised it hasn't been done so far.

MohammedC
June 29, 2007, 05:40 PM
Its a good idea, I know it rains a lot in our country but they can play in whole month of October (I remember we used to start playing cricket at the end of september).
They should have 4 team
Bangladesh Main team
Bangladesh A
National League XI (Player who do well in NCL but does not get selected)
Bangladesh U19

And we are talking longer version no need to try one day

Omio
June 29, 2007, 06:00 PM
Good idea indeed,

jam
June 29, 2007, 06:08 PM

As I mentioned, it is a short time solution and like a boot camp. For emergency individual commitments, few days vacation can always be managed for some. We will have extra stand by players who can replace players going on short vacations. That is why I mentioned upto 30 players.

Again, as a long term goal, I agree that domestic longer version cricket needs more attention. Even if you plan and implement the change in "domestic longer version cricket" right from tomorrow - to get the benefit out of that, you would need at least couple of years if not more. What would we do in the mean time? Continue to face these humiliating defeats?

That is why we need to set a short term goal and plan according to that. That is how, the idea came to my mind.

See, if Ash an Co. gets confident after 10- 15 days of batting practice before the Lanka tour (as Ash and others mentioned before leaving for Sri Lanka), then think how much they would be benefitted from these 5 day matches.

jam
June 29, 2007, 06:20 PM
Are these matches going to be held indoors? Cause I have heard it rains alot and flood is a natural occurance in Bangladesh. May be video game competition?

Do these players need rest? Naa!! They need to play 24/7 - 30.

To achieve some thing good, we need extra effort. May be team Australia or Srilanka does not need these extra efforts, but I think we do (to achieve a minimum standard of test cricket).

Most people in this world work 20 - 22 days a month to earn their living. I proposed two five day matches a month - ie 10 days. Add another 7/8 days for practice and corrective measures. Still they can enjoy 10 -12 days of holidays a month.

As for flood, we are not playing international cricket. So schedule is not important. If it rains, we don't play or we do indoor practice. Mirpur stadium has good drainage system. So, it is not impossible to play in the rainy seasons. Also, they can continue the rain affected matches, that will give them chance to learn how to adjust in real time rain affected test matches.

mali007
June 29, 2007, 06:24 PM
Good idea. I am wondering about the TEST SCHEDULE that currently we are playing against the strong teams like India , SL , NZ !!! At present time we could have done better against WI , Pakistan .

Antora
June 29, 2007, 07:03 PM
a very good idea

jam
June 29, 2007, 07:11 PM
Good idea, but as Electrequim said, some of the players will be really good in those matches and then again will not be visible in actual matches. Tushar, Bidyut and Faisal are the first names to come in mind.

Some players didn't make it does not mean that others won't be able to. See, Ash, Mash, the whole team is the product of domestic cricket.

As suggested by everyone, we will have to work on our longer version domestic cricket anyway. So, we will have to learn and improve through our domestic cricket (probably with external coaching help).

So, it doesn't matter if Tushar, Bidyut etc couldn't perform, somebody else will. Though, I think Tushar was never given enough chance. I think we have raptured his confidence (I could be entirely wrong on this). Alok and others got so many chances, before they were finally dropped. Tushar was never that lucky.

I think, we need to season our players for 5 day matches well. It should automaticaly come to our players mind - what to do in any given situation in a 5 day match. This can be achieved only through playing lots of 5 day matches. Since we cannot do this in international cricket, we need to do this domestically.

Warlock
July 1, 2007, 12:27 AM
[quote=jam;494158]My idea below is only a short term solution.. something like a boot camp. I completely agree with all others that our longer version of domestic cricket needs all sorts of attention.

Here it is.......

<st1:place w:st="]<o:p"></st1:place>
Damn! You deserve a prize for this wonderful idea! This is even better than the "Billy's Boot Camp":-D to help you lose fat.
[/COLOR]

Sohel
July 1, 2007, 02:35 AM
Good food for thought jam. Sadly, the corrupt and overfed bunch of ujbuks at the BCB aren't hungry as expected. Luckily their days are numbered ...

All 6 NCL teams need to have at least 4 more sides below the first team: 1) a reserve or "A" team, 2) an U-19 team, 3) an U-17 team, and 4) an U-15 team selected by a trained team of permanently employed talent scouts working nationwide. Coaches, state of the art training facilities, attractive player compensation packages including performance-based bonuses, and a well-thought out marketing strategy that includes merchandising and TV broadcasts can make the NCL into the elite league it deserves and needs to become. Furthermore, re-formatting the NCL so that each one the 6 teams, and their 4 junior sides play a best of 5 First Class (4-day matches) series, and a best of 7 List-A series (limited overs matches) against the other 5 will start to create real opportunities for the best our cricketers to harness their talent and deliver under the spotlight of international cricket. If not, we better learn to somewhat objectively assess talent, and patiently watch our young Tigers continue to learn on the job due to the current inadequacies far too obvious within the NCL, all too often sustained by the counter-productive lure of illegal gambling and black money-based club cricket in Dhaka. IMHO, the Mohamedan-Abahoni nostalgia and "tradition", a tradition that has a lot to do with the stagnated growth of our cricket at this level, needs to take a backseat, even thrown out of the car if required, so that Bangladesh cricket can move forward.

There's huge difference between "wishing for something to happen" and "making it happen". The time has come to do the latter.

battye
July 1, 2007, 03:18 AM
IMO, instead of playing amongst themselves in teams of equal strength, try and get some quality "A" side tours. Try and get Australia A, India A etc to play the main Bangladesh team.

Alternatively, there are rumours going around of a triangular series in Kenya between India A, Kenya and Zimbabwe A... now, if this is a first-class series, than Bangladesh should try and get involved, make it a quadrangular series and get some quality matches against Kenya, India A and to a lesser extent Zimbabwe A.

There is no need to make the players play 24/7, but if they could take part in a single 3 week series during the 5 month break, it probably wouldn't affect family/personal commitments too much

Baundule
July 2, 2007, 04:22 AM
Theoretically a very good idea. Practically, the players may not be too much motivated. The BCB is also quite inept to take innovative remedys to our problems.

The only thing the players need is to take it seriously. They have to play as a team. They have to learn how to evaluate the situations and see the effects of their approaches. I am not confident that our players are intelligent and sincere enough to all these. Basing the team selection on these matches can make things more interesting, though.

Probably, for the first time, I'm against TE's criticism. :) Full marks for your proposal.

rah
July 2, 2007, 12:28 PM
good ideas

al Furqaan
July 2, 2007, 02:33 PM
My idea below is only a short term solution.. something like a boot camp. I completely agree with all others that our longer version of domestic cricket needs all sorts of attention.

Here it is.......

Between the Srilanka tour and the New Zealand tour - we have about five months time with no schedule for test cricket. How about selecting a pool of 25 to 30 best players, divide them into two equal strength teams. Then, let them play at least two 5 day matches per month, until November 2007. After each 5 day match, evaluate each player, work on their mistakes, practice and then play the next 5 day match. End of November, pick best 13\14 players for the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Zealand</st1:place></st1:country-region> tour.
<st1:place w:st="]<o:p"></st1:place>
The best thing that will happen after this is, that our current players will at least grow a temperament to play the test cricket. In the mean time, we can do all sorts of planning and implementation of our longer version of domestic cricket.<o:p></o:p>

there have been many such ideas, but BCB hasn't really been serious about the longer version. perhaps it was the success against australia, and then focus on ODIs/WC that caused BCB's negligence, but they need to do something ASAP.

any increase in quality longer version games is going to be good for our team.

[/COLOR]