PDA

View Full Version : Interim government to reshuffle BCB ?

MohammedC
June 29, 2007, 06:45 PM
BCB meeting today
Staff Correspondent
The Bangladesh Cricket Board will sit today in what could be their last executive committee meeting to decide on a few important issues including the budget for the coming fiscal year.
The interim government has already made it clear to the media that it is going to reshuffle the cricket administration of the country very soon which means the present committee will hardly get any time to sit together further to settle some of its important issues.
BCB general secretary Mahbub Anam, however, said he was not aware of any impending changes to his organisation and what had been projected in the media about it was just a speculation.
‘I don’t know whether there will be any changes to the BCB set-up or not. It’s just a speculation. I will go by the rules,’ Anam told New Age on telephone. ‘Officially our only agenda for Saturday’s meeting is the budget for the next fiscal year. I can’t really tell you whether any other issues will be discussed,’ he added.
Rafiqul Islam, a joint-secretary of the BCB, however, said that they are prepared to give up the rein and thus are itching to discuss the other important issues like the appointments of a new national coach and a team manager.
The contracts of the chief selector Faruque Ahmed and the chief executive officer Mahmudur Rahman could also be extended in Saturday’s meeting, said Rafiqul.
‘We hope to give you the shortlist of coaches, whom we will interview shortly after the meeting. Other important appointments and extension of contracts could also be discussed,’ he said.
The meeting will start at 12:30pm at the Mirpur Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium and all important members of the 29-member executive body are expected to attend the meeting.

New Age (http://www.newagebd.com/spt.html)

MohammedC
June 29, 2007, 06:51 PM
Normally I would be against any idea invoving govt in sports but our current situation with team and organiser of cricket only for this time I will support

mali007
June 29, 2007, 07:05 PM
For better future of cricket in Bangladesh , current BCB BODY needs to be reshuffle.
Especially controversial secretary Mahbub Anam should leave BCB . With backing of KOKO ( Arafat Rahman ) he used to run BCB bypassing the executive body. There are speculations that he has done corruption with NIMBUS TV contract. Also we need to reform the current SELECTION COMMITTEE.

Foozy
June 29, 2007, 09:16 PM
For better future of cricket in Bangladesh , current BCB BODY needs to be reshuffle.
Especially controversial secretary Mahbub Anam should leave BCB . With backing of KOKO ( Arafat Rahman ) he used to run BCB bypassing the executive body. There are speculations that he has done corruption with NIMBUS TV contract. Also we need to reform the current SELECTION COMMITTEE.

i agree...

WarWolf
June 29, 2007, 09:24 PM
Looking forward to see the shortlist of the coaches.

nahaz
June 29, 2007, 10:33 PM
Hey ,can they bring back Saber Hossain? Or is he in jail too?I'd like to see proper admin people back, like Syed Ahsraful Haque. They should prob reshuffle the BCB structure too to have business minded people as well as good admin and people with good knowledge of cricket.Or is it already like that? I doubt it.

DotBall
June 29, 2007, 11:57 PM
It's about time. If it happens in quick time I think we will be able to put forth a more efficient and focused administrative team. The big question is who would replace the current inefficiencies?
I hope for a better future for BD cricket.

cricketboy
June 30, 2007, 12:16 AM
Hey ,can they bring back Saber Hossain? Or is he in jail too?I'd like to see proper admin people back, like Syed Ahsraful Haque. They should prob reshuffle the BCB structure too to have business minded people as well as good admin and people with good knowledge of cricket.Or is it already like that? I doubt it.
Yah Saber Hossain was a great president of BCB but problem is he is also a politician.

WarWolf
June 30, 2007, 12:54 AM
Yah Saber Hossain was a great president of BCB but problem is he is also a politician.
It's time to bring full professionals to BCB. No corrupted politician or govt officer please.

Ahmed_B
June 30, 2007, 02:28 AM
mo1974,
why havn't you posted the news-link or the source of news? Please add it to your original post.

ialbd
June 30, 2007, 02:43 AM
yess, lets purge BCB.....go CTG....

radagast
June 30, 2007, 02:50 AM
I'll take this news with a grain of salt - says the inner non-believer....

Sohel
June 30, 2007, 03:38 AM
Tapan Chaudhury has the best interest of our cricket in his heart. Trying to bring Saber Bhai back, if he's available that is, will be a step in the right direction once he's given the task to take steps to dramatically re-format and improve the quality of our domestic First Class and List-A cricket. As for myself, I'm waiting to see what happens with the new bosses once they replace the current bunch of clowns.

MohammedC
June 30, 2007, 06:04 AM
mo1974,
why havn't you posted the news-link or the source of news? Please add it to your original post.

Done, Sorry completely forgot

Nafis_BD
June 30, 2007, 09:53 AM
I hope this reshuffling helps us a lot and the new BCB improves our cricket and the domestic structure and etc!!!

WarWolf
June 30, 2007, 10:30 AM
First we need to find out what are the necessary roles in BCB. Without defining certain needs, reshuffling would result nothing. A cricket board should have different wings of its operations like administration, training, facilities, marketing, media corresponding, domestic league management, overseas relationship management etc. So far BCB has been working on ad-hock basis. This time I want to see efficient people according the roles.

Like any other good organization, performance monitoring is a must in BCB. Otherwise all these initiatives would result a big zero.

Ahmed_B
June 30, 2007, 11:21 AM
Latest news from TV reports: BCB held a meeting today and declared that their next council meeting (of the current committee) will be held on early October, 2007. So those reports saying the CTG will suspend current team in July seems to be speculations only.

betaar
June 30, 2007, 12:15 PM
Most people are so welcoming to change in the BCB admin. initiated by the caretaker govt. but the question is, does the caretaker govt. have any idea about cricket and who the real cricket loving people are to run BCB? I mean it's one thing to focus on zero tollarence on corruption and put forward an admin that's honest (monetarily) and another to actually find people who have the capabilities to move BD cricket forward. I am not sure whether or not the caretaker govt. is capable enough to find a good balance between the two, if not, it will result in a cricket board such as PCB.

MohammedC
July 2, 2007, 03:12 PM
New BCB this month: Tapan
Sports Reporter

Sports Adviser Tapan Chowdhury yesterday reiterated that the government will disband the current executive committee of the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) this month.

When reporters attending the concluding ceremony of the Metropolis Table Tennis League at the Woodenfloor Gymnasium asked for his words on speculations of dissolution of the most affluent sport body of the country, the Sports Adviser confirmed the news.

"We are going to form an ad-hoc committee with very few people. Only real organisers and former national cricketers will be there," Tapan told reporters.
He also added that the government will take all steps to make sports free of corruption on the basis of the investigations run by the National Sports Council.

The daily Star (http://thedailystar.net/2007/07/03/d70703040431.htm)

ammark
July 2, 2007, 03:53 PM
A bit disappointed. The NSC is no less corrupt. And an ad-hoc committee really does not seem it will have a permanent effect. Since he has the power, he should autonomise both the BCB entirely from the government, ie devolve the sports ministry from the overall workings and appointments of BCB. The BCB earns enough revenue independent of the government, there is no reason why the overweight bureaucracy should stuff some of its lard in the BCB.

Sohel
July 2, 2007, 10:57 PM
A bit disappointed. The NSC is no less corrupt. And an ad-hoc committee really does not seem it will have a permanent effect. Since he has the power, he should autonomise both the BCB entirely from the government, ie devolve the sports ministry from the overall workings and appointments of BCB. The BCB earns enough revenue independent of the government, there is no reason why the overweight bureaucracy should stuff some of its lard in the BCB.

The NSC is substantially different this time around, just as the current government is. BCB has been operating as a de facto autonomous body for the last 15 years, hence the corruption and lack of accountability. Besides completely legitimizing lack of public accountability, total autonomy will also mean paying hefty taxes, rent for stadiums and other facilities, and a better opportunity to fabricate excuses for not spending money where it needs to be spent.

Nafis_BD
July 2, 2007, 11:04 PM
Just saw the NTV news and they said that they are going to reshuffle all the other sports boards as well(Football, Hokey and etc) just to get rid of corruption and politics from all the sports in Bangladesh and I think it's good they are taking this big step to get rid of these stuff which doesn't and shouldn't relate to the "gentlemens" sport!!

MohammedC
July 9, 2007, 04:22 PM
New BCB by next week?
Mohammad Isam

The impending change in Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB), as promised by Sports Adviser Tapan Chowdhury, will come into effect once the 'would-be' new board boss arrives in the capital next week.

It is now more than just a rumour that Chowdhury will restructure the cricket board and it will take a real shape once the new figurehead, whose identity is yet to be confirmed, is made official by the government.
"It is no magic figure, but the number of members would be between 9 to 13. I have asked him to keep it to around 10, as it is with ICC or ACC but it is up to him," said former BCB general secretary Syed Ashraful Huq, who was sought for advice regarding these changes by Chowdhury.

Read More (http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/07/10/d70710040341.htm)

Tigers_eye
July 9, 2007, 04:44 PM
Can't wait. I have had enough of these fools. Permanent decentralization is the best thing that can happen to the domestic cricket. We would need more curators, specialized coaches, organizers at the local level. This is our time to get a leg up and catch up the elite countries. Can we start our domestic cricket in October instead of November this year?

betaar
July 9, 2007, 04:46 PM
I am not sure how BCB will find an ex-cricketer with professional skill set of a CEO as suggested by Huq. I think BCB should appoint a foreign, most likely from Australia or England, CEO to run smooth operation but should also have an ex-cricketer representing BCB to the world.

Fazal
July 9, 2007, 04:55 PM
Some of rumored names for committee (from Jugantor):

Tanveer Majhar Tanna
Mahboob Anam (Present GC)
Raisuddin Ahmed
Khondoker Jamiluddin

Nafis_BD
July 9, 2007, 10:15 PM
I hope the reshuffling is done before the interviews for the next Bangladesh coach!!!

One World
July 9, 2007, 11:08 PM
Can't wait. I have had enough of these fools. Permanent decentralization is the best thing that can happen to the domestic cricket. We would need more curators, specialized coaches, organizers at the local level. This is our time to get a leg up and catch up the elite countries. Can we start our domestic cricket in October instead of November this year?

It is hard to modify bereaucratic stalwart in BD. The door is opening slowly and hopefully we will have a strong team of back door officials within the process.

Sohel
July 10, 2007, 02:33 AM
From The Daily Star, link: http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/07/10/d70710040341.htm

"New BCB by next week?
Mohammad Islam

The impending change in Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB), as promised by Sports Adviser Tapan Chowdhury, will come into effect once the 'would-be' new board boss arrives in the capital next week.

It is now more than just a rumour that Chowdhury will restructure the cricket board and it will take a real shape once the new figurehead, whose identity is yet to be confirmed, is made official by the government.

"It is no magic figure, but the number of members would be between 9 to 13. I have asked him to keep it to around 10, as it is with ICC or ACC but it is up to him," said former BCB general secretary Syed Ashraful Huq, who was sought for advice regarding these changes by Chowdhury.

Huq however expressed his ignorance about who would be the new BCB chief.

The internationally acclaimed cricket organiser, who is now the CEO of the Asian Cricket Council (ACC), came to Dhaka a few days back and had a useful meeting with the country's sports boss.

"We only talked about cricket. I told him about my ideas and how I see the board evolving into a more professional and a lot more accountable body. There should be people who will not be holding honorary posts rather there should be people who will be paid for their job. That is what we basically talked about," said Huq, who spoke at his residence.

He touched on most of the issues that he discussed with Chowdhury, who prefers around 12 to 13 members on the new committee.

"I did not discuss any names with him but whoever they are, must have cricketing background, both internationally as well as in the domestic front.

"I gave him my views on how it should be structured, to be more specific. It should be structured

like it is in a big cricket organisation so that we can compete with them in that regard too," said the man who is regarded as the most known Bangladeshi face in world cricket since the 1980s.

But the names that are swirling in the closely-knit cricket circle of Dhaka suggest a few names that are definite causes for concern.

According to Huq, the board should have a business plan, run by full professionals with an executive board, but he emphasised that cricket should be decentralised, that is, the board should have people not only based in Dhaka but also from Chittagong, Khulna, Rajshahi, Barisal and Sylhet.

Huq slammed the current regime as one that has failed in maintaining a domestic cricket circle.

"In the next few years, BCB will receive an astronomical amount of money from the ICC so it would not be wise for someone with an honorary post to handle that much because that person would not have any accountability. A general secretary cannot exist when there is a CEO. But here, the CEO should be someone with some cricketing knowledge because he represents Bangladesh in the important ICC meetings. But for that matter, if you keep both, then I don't think it makes any sense," opined a lively Huq."

The structural change is another major step in the right direction, after General Moeen took control of the NSC recently to take the first one.

Nocturnal
July 10, 2007, 02:52 AM
good to see the much needed changes within BCB officials.

Nocturnal
July 10, 2007, 02:58 AM
by the way, we have another thread going on: Interim government to reshuffle BCB ?
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=22517
merge??

cricket_king
July 10, 2007, 03:53 AM
According to Tapan Chowdhury, Bangladesh's Sports Advisor, the national cricket board will be restructured once a new chairman is named. Recent reports indicated that the Bangladesh Cricket Board's (BCB's) next president, whose identity is yet to be confirmed, will be announced upon his arrival in the capital next week.

In regards to these reports, former BCB general secretary Syed Ashraful Haq told The Daily Star,"It is no magic figure, but the number of members would be between nine to 13. I have asked him to keep it to around ten, as it is with the International Cricket Council or Asian Cricket Council but it is up to him."

He did not comment on who the new BCB boss would be.

Haq, also the ACC chief executive, recently came to Dhaka for a meeting with Chowdhury. "We only talked about cricket. I told him about my ideas and how I see the board evolving into a more professional and a lot more accountable body," he said. "There should be people who will not be holding honorary posts rather there should be people who will be paid for their job. That is what we basically talked about."

According to Haq, Chowdhury preferred 12 to 13 members on the new committee. "I did not discuss any names with him but whoever they are, must have cricketing background, both internationally as well as in the domestic front," he said. "I gave him my views on how it should be structured, to be more specific. It should be structured like it is in a big cricket organisation so that we can compete with them in that regard too."

Haq believed the BCB should operate around a business plan, with an executive board, but felt that it also needed to have representatives from not just Dhaka, but exterior cities and towns, such as Chittagong, Khulna, Rajshahi, Barisal and Sylhet.

He was also critical of the current board's handling of domestic cricket.

"In the next few years, the BCB will receive an astronomical amount of money from the ICC so it would not be wise for someone with an honorary post to handle that much because that person would not have any accountability," he said. "A general secretary cannot exist when there is a CEO. But here, the CEO should be someone with some cricketing knowledge because he represents Bangladesh in the important ICC meetings. But for that matter, if you keep both, then I don't think it makes any sense."

© Cricinfo

I personally am very happy with this news. Bangladesh cricket is in desperate need of some changes.

MohammedC
July 19, 2007, 06:50 PM
Dastagir quits cricket board
Sports Reporter

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) vice-president Gazi Golam Dastagir yesterday tendered his resignation to the board president.
DS (http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/07/20/d70720040834.htm)
New Age (http://www.newagebd.com/spt.html)
Dastagir quits BCB
Staff Correspondent
Bangladesh Cricket Board vice-president Gazi Golam Dastagir has resigned on Thursday terming the body a den of corruption, irregularities and nepotism.
‘It was becoming impossible for me to work as an organiser in the BCB, which has been eaten up by corruption, irregularities and nepotism,’ said the official in his resignation letter to the BCB president M Abdul Aziz.
The letter was later distributed among the pressmen. ‘I think there should be a judicial inquiry into the irregularities and corruption within the BCB,’ he added.
His resignation came at a time when it has been widely speculated that the government would soon dismiss the executive committee of the BCB. This is the second resignation of a BCB official this month. BCB member Kabir Ahmed resigned earlier last week citing personal reasons.

Is this Kabir from BC....just kidding

Tigers_eye
July 19, 2007, 10:26 PM
Isn't he a retired general? General Dastagir?

battye
July 20, 2007, 03:52 AM
I must say, I'm not really as up to speed on the current situation in Bangladesh politically as I'm sure most others on here are. However, I think large scale political involvement in sport (and by that, I mean anything beyond standardized drug testing etc) is not a good idea.

MohammedC
July 24, 2007, 06:00 PM
Mahbub resigns
Sports Reporter

Months of speculations over, Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) general secretary Mahbub Anam yesterday tendered his resignation to board president M Abdul Aziz.

Daily Star (http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/07/25/d70725040233.htm)

Mon
July 24, 2007, 10:17 PM
I suggested this long time ago. Our team management is truly disgusting. We need immediate change.

Sohel
July 25, 2007, 09:39 AM
I suggested this long time ago. Our team management is truly disgusting. We need immediate change.

They heard you.

Mon
July 25, 2007, 09:51 AM
they heard everyone actually. Many people had it inside them. Just a matter of speaking out