PDA

View Full Version : For those who believes that cricket will never spread.

israr
July 2, 2007, 04:21 PM
Just go to this site, and check out.
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07/06/17/10132969.html
Hopefully, I shall be able to convince everyone about the game's growing popularity, well, atleast in this region. Seriously speaking, its a myth that besides the 10 test playing nations, no other country has a large following for this sport.

sandpiper
July 2, 2007, 04:46 PM
I agree with you that the popularity is increasing, each time the number of participants in the ICC trophy is increasing.
but mind it, QUANTITY IS NOT QUALITY
real qualitative improvement as a strong team (to contend with big boys) takes long time, and in this regards I dont even find a strong infrastructure (with regular domectic league) in any of those associate countries (even in Kenya). Sometimes I feel that cricket is losing its image in some of the former powerhouse like West Indies, England, Zimbabwe ..... I cant tell, but am still suspicious about the widespread (and effective) dissemination of cricket.

MohammedC
July 2, 2007, 05:02 PM
When top cricketing nation starts questioning about BD's test status. Will the other associate memer have any chance.

One World
July 2, 2007, 05:50 PM
Its culture, luckily BD had a well established cricketing culture because of heavy patrionage from first British and then Pakistan government. None other British colonies that are current associates had that privilege.