PDA

View Full Version : We hit a new rockbottom

chinaman
July 3, 2007, 08:58 AM
So we were helplessly boundled out for 62 runs in just 25.2 overs. It is really hard to say much on a day like this. There is not much positives that we could take some comfort of. It is really a very bad day for us.

Once we get over with the initial shock and disbelief and have a chance to look back, we may wonder if anyone saw this coming. Brutal it may sound, but todays fate was not entirely unpredictable. Without a coach as well as definite direction, the team along with the BCB have been in some disarray if not trouble for some time now. With no quick fix in sight, I'm afraid, few more shocks may lie ahead if one or two of the players miraculously muscle the team out of the hole.

We must regroup now and look forward to save the pride. And when it comes to pride, we sure can go a long way. We know what we are capable of but we need the pinch, the wake up call, and fighting for pride is the lone pinch at the moment. On a larger landscape, regrouping must start with BCB. If we don't clean up the house it will smell often regardless of how we like to cover it up.

Ehsan
July 3, 2007, 09:05 AM
Allow me quote myself from another thread:

The blame of our recent test debacle goes to ICC, BCB and then to our players. Coaches have nothing to do here, they can only do so much. It is the management who should take the responsibility. ICC should not have given us such a long break. BCB should have arranged intensive first class matches for the players. Further, BCB needs to work on our domestic structure. Players should have hold onto their wickets as if their life depended on it.

Anyways, at the end of the day there is no point playing the blame game. Just accept the reality, we are not there yet - thanks to ICC and BCB. But we will get there soon!

Well, there is nothing we the fans could do. I guess we just have to be patient and take on these hiccups on our way up. There will be a lot more of these days coming until we fix our domestic. Once the structure is fixed, do not hope for instantaneous results. It will take another 3-4 years to produce quality test players. But we can expect that these current National Test players would reach some quality faster than the rest after the domestic structure is fixed.

All I know is the future is still bright. But I don't know how long will it take for the future to arrive.

SS
July 3, 2007, 09:09 AM

The blame of our recent test debacle goes to ICC, BCB and then to our players. Coaches have nothing to do here, they can only do so much. It is the management who should take the responsibility. BCB should have arranged intensive first class matches for the players. Further, BCB needs to work on our domestic structure. Players should have hold onto their wickets as if their life depended on it.

I am quoting you again too...I think BCB should do it immediately.

Tigers_eye
July 3, 2007, 09:09 AM
Sorry CM, I kinda was afraid of this and had something close to 80's for the first innings if we bat first. Well, that is close to 62.

I am afraid to see the X-mas day come this year.

WarWolf
July 3, 2007, 09:14 AM
You cannot ask a succesful P.hd from someone who just has passed HSC or A level with a brilliant result. This is the scenario of bangladesh cricket now. BCB can be used as a perfect example of bad management in management courses. We have a long way to go. Before blaming the players we need to clear BCB at first.

oracle
July 3, 2007, 09:20 AM
A lot of it is tied to the overall state of disrray but I am more and more convinced that the players mental state and lack of psychological focus is the main reason coupled with a SL team that is probably unbeatable at home.
Sri lanka was in disarray so many times but still as individuals and players managed to pull up their socks.

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 09:47 AM

The blame of our recent test debacle goes to ICC, BCB and then to our players. Coaches have nothing to do here, they can only do so much. It is the management who should take the responsibility. ICC should not have given us such a long break. BCB should have arranged intensive first class matches for the players. Further, BCB needs to work on our domestic structure. Players should have hold onto their wickets as if their life depended on it.

Now alow me to disagree with you, because a year away from Test cricket doesn't give the players a ticket to play the way they want, and however they want it. This is exactly what McInnes said - when something goes wrong, suddenly it's nobody's fault. And now, instead of pointing the fingers at our own problem, we're pointing at ICC.

What did the players do when they didn't have any Tests to play? Couldn't BCB have done something? Does this mean the players forgot how to hold a bat? Or did they lose their loose nut in their bedroom while sleeping their brain off?

This is ridiculously insane. I mean, 62 all out, and that aswell when they paid so much attention to the batting.

You know what I say? ICC should strip off our Test status right away, and not give it back until we're worthy to play Test cricket...there's no room for "picnic mode" Test cricket, as Bubul kind of opined.

mali007
July 3, 2007, 09:51 AM
Clean up the BCB. The present BCB committee came to power by force with the blessing of KOKO from behind. Bring back experienced real dedicated organizers, senior ex cricketers into the executive body. Chief selectors Faruk and Atahar Ali must step down after this debacle !!!Hopefully by this month we will see these changes.

Rommel
July 3, 2007, 09:52 AM
[

You know what I say? ICC should strip off our Test status right away, and not give it back until we're worthy to play Test cricket...there's no room for "picnic mode" Test cricket, as Bubul kind of opined.[/QUOTE]

I agree 1000% percent because this is just embarrasing.

Ehsan
July 3, 2007, 10:00 AM
Now alow me to disagree with you, because a year away from Test cricket doesn't give the players a ticket to play the way they want, and however they want it. This is exactly what McInnes said - when something goes wrong, suddenly it's nobody's fault. And now, instead of pointing the fingers at our own problem, we're pointing at ICC.

What did the players do when they didn't have any Tests to play? Couldn't BCB have done something? Does this mean the players forgot how to hold a bat? Or did they lose their loose nut in their bedroom while sleeping their brain off?

I think you didn't get my point. I did not say its nobody's fault, I actually said that the responsibility of this poor showing should be shared by three parties: ICC, BCB and the players.

As for players, this is what I said:

Players should have hold onto their wickets as if their life depended on it.

I would put players as the last people to blame. It was the responsibility of the combined management (ICC and BCB) to ensure that these players start the game where they had left it a year ago. A long break, not much domestic game, and a futile domestic structure did not help the cause of the players.

Tintin
July 3, 2007, 10:14 AM
Rustiness can be taken as a justification for one or two matches. How do you explain *successively degrading* performances in *four* consecutive Tests with that theory ?

The players have no pride or confidence or positive attitude or anything. It is time to change the coach anyway. I say, bring someone who is crazy like Ray Jennings, the former coach of SAF (http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20041020/sports.htm#3). At least, he will make sure that if a player misfields or plays a stupid shot, he will pay for it.

SMHasan
July 3, 2007, 10:15 AM
I am very disappointed and sad. This is unacceptable but it is reality. Whenever our team do well we do not fear what goes on in the BCB and whenever team does bad then we become a harsh critic. BCB have not done anything at all to make the first class cricket professional and more importantly they failed to get a test match from April 2006 to may 2007. Who will take the responsibility for this? Now the question is these players have not played significant amount of 3/4 day matches during that time span. They only played ODIs and that caused a heavy damage to our test attitude. We are not like other established test teams that we can switch our mode very quickly. We needed to play some 3/4 day practice matches before the SL tour begins. But sadly we did not do this. Why? We do not have any other practice matches in this tour thus we are not able to judge players. This is really scary.

I am sad.

Tintin
July 3, 2007, 10:30 AM
I am in a bad mood, so please pardon me if I say something silly.

We are not like other established test teams that we can switch our mode very quickly.

Six of the players have played more than twenty Test matches. Three others are appearing in their 10th match. When are they going to become established if twenty matches is not enough.

We needed to play some 3/4 day practice matches before the SL tour begins. But sadly we did not do this. Why? We do not have any other practice matches in this tour thus we are not able to judge players. This is really scary.

That is another thing. In December, Bangladesh plays just one three day match and one LOI matche before the Tests and ODIs. It is not as if the team is so busy in December that they can't play more tour matches. In fact, BD has no international matches between the 20-20 WC in September and the NZ series.

If BCB could arrange a couple of matches against the NZ state sides on the green wickets, that would be a help for the Test matches and in the long run. But who bothers about these things.

SMHasan
July 3, 2007, 10:58 AM
Six of the players have played more than twenty Test matches. Three others are appearing in their 10th match. When are they going to become established if twenty matches is not enough.

That is another thing. In December, Bangladesh plays just one three day match and one LOI matche before the Tests and ODIs. It is not as if the team is so busy in December that they can't play more tour matches. In fact, BD has no international matches between the 20-20 WC in September and the NZ series.

If BCB could arrange a couple of matches against the NZ state sides on the green wickets, that would be a help for the Test matches and in the long run. But who bothers about these things.

Playing 20 test matches doesnt mean that you can switch your mode quickly enough. Playing 20 test matches in 7 years doesn't make you established in the international cricket. How many first class matches they have played? None of the players has played more than 45 matches in their entire career and 2/3 of them played more than 40 matches. It is important that you play some significant FC matches before playing test match.

If you look at any other test teams then you will see that players are being released to play domestic cricket in between tests so that they can get their form back for example in England players can play county matches when there is no test match going on. It is good for them.

Our players are not getting this chance because of our schedule. In next winter we will be touring NZ when our domestic leage will be going on. We should be playing a home series in this winter instead of flying to NZ. Thus these players won't get a chance to take part in the national league. Again NZ won't come to visit us as it's christmas period. This is the fact.

We should have more home series during our cricket season and we should play away series when it's our off season.

OZGOD
July 3, 2007, 10:58 AM
I think you didn't get my point. I did not say its nobody's fault, I actually said that the responsibility of this poor showing should be shared by three parties: ICC, BCB and the players.

As for players, this is what I said:

I would put players as the last people to blame. It was the responsibility of the combined management (ICC and BCB) to ensure that these players start the game where they had left it a year ago. A long break, not much domestic game, and a futile domestic structure did not help the cause of the players.

I disagree with this. I'm a strong believer in accepting accountability where it rests. There's only so much the ICC can do - they are responsible for managing the schedule for all teams and for managing the game at a global level.

The individual national cricket boards are responsible for providing the infrastructure to support the team.

The selectors are responsible for selecting the right mix of players from a pool.

The coach is responsible for providing support and guidance to the captain and the team.

But ultimately, the players are responsible for how they play. You can do an fishbone diagram or root cause analysis to figure out the causal factors behind ongoing poor performance, and that's important because you can then identify systemic flaws in your cricketing structure, from talent identification through to talent improvement through to administration, selection and so on. It's important to identify these other factors driving poor performance, so that they can be addressed. But at the end of the day neither the ICC nor the BCB were out there getting bowled out for 62, and the players should take responsibility for that.

The players, and Ashraful as captain, have to take it on the chin, accept that their performance is far below the standard required (in fact I feel it has deteriorated at the Test level) and work to rectify it. I would hope that they as players are not blaming the BCB or the ICC for their poor performance because then they will never improve.

No excuses - take it on the chin.

My 2c.

WarWolf
July 3, 2007, 11:02 AM
In fact, BD has no international matches between the 20-20 WC in September and the NZ series.

BCB should arrange an internal first class tournament which would involve all the national, A team and development squad players. 3 teams will head each other twice in the tournament. Provided that a good fast test wicket is there, this tournament surely would give the players some chances to be in real competitive games and have some good practice.

ottawaGuy
July 3, 2007, 11:07 AM
replying to the title of the thread: We've now set-up the ideal scenario for a new coach to come in and take initiatives (this series equates to the WC loss against Canada back in 2003). There's nowhere but up from here forward.
The first innings collapse is a huge shock regardless but the current BD team is giving Bashar, SN and JOB a chance to prove themselves; they're virtually giving out debuts to mehrab jr., mushfiq and in a sence to ashraful as the captain(the fact that ashraful has to captain a weakened test side before a onedayer should significantly reduce his charisma). Saleh and Sharif has been absent from the scene for a while now. And all the batsmen underlined above pretty much accounts for the so called 'strengthened batting lineup'. All of those decisions are indeed necessary and is completely supported by myself. However, don't you think the selectors are doing too much experimentations on one match? Having said that I would also like to point out that they have no other alternatives and they, together with BCB has set themselves up for a situation like this. Bangladesh are trying to emulate the Australian model of having seperate test and one day sides which is diluting the stream of players on both forms of the team causing a lack of competitiveness and denying players like Saleh and Mushfiq from playing in the other form of the team where they can be of assistance.

Tehsin
July 3, 2007, 11:25 AM
Blaming is the easy part so here's my contrib to this thread :

Numero uno - Our Players. No Pride, No shame. Forget country, play for yourselves. We are still the amateur team that plays picnic cricket. Our cricketers are told time and time again that it's not their fault that they fail to even produce a first class result. The associates will play out of their skins if they were given this kind of opportunity. They don't even have FANs or sponsorship behind them.

Numero Dos - I will still keep the players. Maybe bring in some from the middle generation (the likes of Tushar, Rokon - only if they are in form) back. However, BCB top brass need to step down. What have they done for our cricket in the last few years ? NOTHING. The only times they 'worked' was when they spent a few hours trying to convince Dav Whatmore to be our coach and arrange the dealwith cricket Australia to help with our youth development program. A program is worth nothing if this boys don't get ACTUAL MATCHES to play. For the life of me, I can't understand how they can't arrange and manage even a decent first class championship along with a B-grade (not even looking for a C-grade at this time) league with the leftovers and future prospects.

ICC - PLaying Test matches won't make us a Test team. It's pretty obvious by now, isn't it ? before we blame ICC, let's clean up house, let's focus on our domestic championships, give other players a shot at catching up with the STAR players and BEAT them out of the team with consistency. We show performance and the other teams will line up to play us. Blaming ICC is simply a WELFARE mentality. We will get what's rightfully ours by becoming a solid Test nation. Karo bhikkhar jonne boshe thaklena konoi unnoti hobena.

WarWolf
July 3, 2007, 11:34 AM
Good compilation from Tehsin bhai. Same as my thoughts.

sharifk
July 3, 2007, 11:46 AM
ICC - PLaying Test matches won't make us a Test team.

I disagree. By playing with old generation players for just a few years we came as close to compete with Australia. Not playing 13 months surely didn't help. We definitely have better talents than what had a few years back. Yet we still performed better in Test a few years ago. Our new talented players can score over 200 consistently in ODIs. Yet they can't even score 100 in Test. This tells me about their mentality in Tests. I believe we are asking them to change their natrual style by setting up wrong targets before the games, and it's not working. It worked a few years ago because players of those days had very defensive mentality and we used their natural styles. Today's players are much more skilled, and their natural styles of play are different than yesterday's. Yet the management still asks them to use the strategies of yesterday. In ODIs our players succeed becuase they are allowed to play their natural games.

Please also remember that Srilanka is a great team, and even SA lost by an inning and over 200 runs last time they visited, but I still believe we could have done better with better planning. As I am constantly saying that when 1, 2 or 3 fail it's the failing players' fault, but when everyone fails it's the system's fault, so don't blame the players. I think along with wrong team selection and changing natural games we are causing most of the problems. Today we surely have better players than those of yesterday's, but we aren't using them properly with our wrong targets and planning.

al Furqaan
July 3, 2007, 11:47 AM
Blaming is the easy part so here's my contrib to this thread :

Numero uno - Our Players. No Pride, No shame. Forget country, play for yourselves. We are still the amateur team that plays picnic cricket. Our cricketers are told time and time again that it's not their fault that they fail to even produce a first class result. The associates will play out of their skins if they were given this kind of opportunity. They don't even have FANs or sponsorship behind them.

Numero Dos - I will still keep the players. Maybe bring in some from the middle generation (the likes of Tushar, Rokon - only if they are in form) back. However, BCB top brass need to step down. What have they done for our cricket in the last few years ? NOTHING. The only times they 'worked' was when they spent a few hours trying to convince Dav Whatmore to be our coach and arrange the dealwith cricket Australia to help with our youth development program. A program is worth nothing if this boys don't get ACTUAL MATCHES to play. For the life of me, I can't understand how they can't arrange and manage even a decent first class championship along with a B-grade (not even looking for a C-grade at this time) league with the leftovers and future prospects.

ICC - PLaying Test matches won't make us a Test team. It's pretty obvious by now, isn't it ? before we blame ICC, let's clean up house, let's focus on our domestic championships, give other players a shot at catching up with the STAR players and BEAT them out of the team with consistency. We show performance and the other teams will line up to play us. Blaming ICC is simply a WELFARE mentality. We will get what's rightfully ours by becoming a solid Test nation. Karo bhikkhar jonne boshe thaklena konoi unnoti hobena.

well said...spot on.

Tintin
July 3, 2007, 11:48 AM
Playing 20 test matches doesnt mean that you can switch your mode quickly enough. Playing 20 test matches in 7 years doesn't make you established in the international cricket. How many first class matches they have played? None of the players has played more than 45 matches in their entire career and 2/3 of them played more than 40 matches. It is important that you play some significant FC matches before playing test match.

If you look at any other test teams then you will see that players are being released to play domestic cricket in between tests so that they can get their form back for example in England players can play county matches when there is no test match going on. It is good for them.

Our players are not getting this chance because of our schedule. In next winter we will be touring NZ when our domestic leage will be going on. We should be playing a home series in this winter instead of flying to NZ. Thus these players won't get a chance to take part in the national league. Again NZ won't come to visit us as it's christmas period. This is the fact.

We should have more home series during our cricket season and we should play away series when it's our off season.

England is an exception that they can play at home for the entire first class season. But in other countries, the national players will be lucky if they get two or three domestic matches. It is not different from that in Bangladesh.

The handicap that Bangladesh face is that the pool of qualified players available is very small. There are perhaps twenty players who are good enough to play for the national side, and they are shuffled in and out of the Test and ODI side. A necessary side-effect of this scarcity of players is that the moment a talented player is spotted, he is fast-tracked into the national side, no matter if he is a fc, U-19 or U-15 player. India or Australia can afford to let a promising player continue in domestic cricket for some years and give him one or two international matches now and then, till he becomes good enough (see how Chawla is being handled). This is the reason why Vandort has played 100 odd fc matches outside Tests while Shahadat has eight or ten.

Bangladesh cannot do it this way and will not be able to do it this way at least for the next five or ten years till the pool of good players becomes large enough. That is something that we and the players have to live with.

SS
July 3, 2007, 11:57 AM
We hit a rockbottom
ato oshohai bondho hoye jacche dom
kemon kore kore aei run, ato kom
dorkar eder uttom oddhom
players akdhom beshorom
khele picnic cricket ar kotha bole horekrokom
BCB charo ghodi jodi policy rako erokom
league competitive korar dabi, bhalo coach appointment, bhule gese shob bemalum
hoilo ki progress, jai khali downgrade, amra shob fan rai morum
nai kono arrangement na kono first class cricket, kemne bojhum
amader desher obostha, nai kono bebostha, aei thakle amra aro harum
matha nai thik, tai ajkal aei lekum.

WarWolf
July 3, 2007, 11:57 AM
I agree with Tintin. His post should help us calming down.

max410
July 3, 2007, 11:59 AM

Anyways, at the end of the day there is no point playing the blame game. Just accept the reality, we are not there yet - thanks to ICC and BCB. But we will get there soon!

Well, there is nothing we the fans could do. I guess we just have to be patient and take on these hiccups on our way up. There will be a lot more of these days coming until we fix our domestic. Once the structure is fixed, do not hope for instantaneous results. It will take another 3-4 years to produce quality test players. But we can expect that these current National Test players would reach some quality faster than the rest after the domestic structure is fixed.

All I know is the future is still bright. But I don't know how long will it take for the future to arrive.

WHats the use of Blaming BCB cricket board They provide enough money and resources to our playe rthey are the ones who havent been learning from istakes they made the same mistakes as last match . They havent learned anything yet from coaches and academic training.
we have better facilities then some other nations like kenya and ireland, but we still dont perform well in test cricket. Bangladesh has been playing cricket for a long time now, They should do some homework like how to play murali and malingas delivery they are just going out there and throwing their wickets to them like gifts.
They should be punished .
I will be very very Happy if ICC suspends BD from Playing Test , Then our players will learn a very good lesson we got the test status easily.

al Furqaan
July 3, 2007, 11:59 AM
I disagree. By playing with old generation players for just a few years we came as close to compete with Australia. Not playing 13 months surely didn't help. We definitely have better talents than what had a few years back. Yet we still performed better in Test a few years ago. Our new talented players can score over 200 consistently in ODIs. Yet they can't even score 100 in Test. This tells me about their mentality in Tests.

this is true...our team has no plethora of batting talent, they just screw it up in the longer version with total lack of any understanding.

perhaps we should play the likes of zimbabwe, kenya, ireland, and holland in 4 day matches for a year or 2, inside our test schedule. it worked for ODIs.

we have huge gaps in our test schedule.

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 12:03 PM
perhaps we should play the likes of zimbabwe, kenya, ireland, and holland in 4 day matches for a year or 2, inside our test schedule. it worked for ODIs.

While I was in the washroom a few minutes ago (that's where I do all my thinking), I had this idea, and it sounds brilliant to me.

The idea is, first learn how to play for 4/5 days. Then, learn how to play for 4/5 days against quality oppositions, and only then learn how to play 4/5 days against TOP oppositions.

sandpiper
July 3, 2007, 12:07 PM
I feel this is very important to play 4 day matches on a regular basis with those countries. it would be a vital step to improve the temperament and stamina of our players.

mahbubH
July 3, 2007, 12:10 PM
Speechless!!

Probably we will see another 200+ score in the second innings and will wait with hope for the third test!!

As a nation we are not used to remember things ... cricketers are no different ... probably they will forget the numbers 89, 62 after having a good 15 minutes of a test cricket!!

BCB is the main culprit to my opinion. All of them are involved in cricket because of their business. They have no idea of grass root cricket and they are busy only with spending time in comfy Gulshan office and ............... You will never see them in a domestic matches but in any international match they will be on the field (stage?) and looking for tv camera!!

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 12:11 PM
I feel this is very important to play 4 day matches on a regular basis with those countries. it would be a vital step to improve the temperament and stamina of our players.

It's not just temperament and stamina. It's also about the ability to play. The ability to play a few shots.

What if we were playing with SL like it's an ODI? Would we have played better? Would we have gotten bowled out like a tiny earthworm as well?

sandpiper
July 3, 2007, 12:12 PM
:clap: :clap:
We hit a rockbottom
ato oshohai bondho hoye jacche dom
kemon kore kore aei run, ato kom
dorkar eder uttom oddhom
players akdhom beshorom
khele picnic cricket ar kotha bole horekrokom
BCB charo ghodi jodi policy rako erokom
league competitive korar dabi, bhalo coach appointment, bhule gese shob bemalum
hoilo ki progress, jai khali downgrade, amra shob fan rai morum
nai kono arrangement na kono first class cricket, kemne bojhum
amader desher obostha, nai kono bebostha, aei thakle amra aro harum
matha nai thik, tai ajkal aei lekum.

bharat
July 3, 2007, 12:13 PM
Possible remedies ...

1.Do not fast track the u-19's into Test arena .Let them grow and mature with the A teams and first class matches.You might be doing more harm than good to players like Mehrab by pushing them to the wolves.

2.You have a gold mine of 5 day matches across the border..send one or more into the Ranji trophy.It will gaurantee atleast 15+ first class matches.
(some here might say it is of no use to play in India...but apart from Auss and England ..India has a very good first class structure and more importantly India can fit BD into the Ranji structure while Auss and Eng might not)

3.Look at the reserves and not the U-19's ..for startes Alok Kapali and Tushar Imran.

4Get a Batting coatch ..

5.Get a Batting coatch ..

6.Get a Batting coatch ..

Ahmed_B
July 3, 2007, 12:15 PM
I have written in before and writing it here again:
The first 5/6 years of BD Test Era was simply a customization phase. Now the next phase has started... with a new (?) coach + new captain + new formation of the team. In the first 5 year phase BCB has been excused by ICC and the BD fans for not being able to get the Test match tempo well. BUT NOT ANY MORE!

It's time BCB starts to accept all the blames in the following duties:
1) Not being able to Build up a useful first-class structure in 6+ years
2) Not being able to work with the middle-generation players like Alok, Tushar, Bidyut etc and come up with with effective transitional middle-generation players and hence jumping straight from the Pilot generation to the Mushfiq generation.
3) Faling completely to come up with a trnsitional format do draft the U-19 players into the national test side by maturing them properly through A-teams and other competitive matches.
4) Having absolutely no vision on how to take the Test performance higher in each year.

So... what is the outcome of the first 2 Test series vs IND & SL in the 2nd phase of BD Test cricket?

Simple answer: The knowledge that BCB is in absolutely no position to organize and develope BD Test performance and supporting infrastructures. Unfortunately enough... BCB has been able to hide this harsh truth for the last 6+ years and suddenly the curtain is pulled off through the restarting of BD's Test matches in 2007!

Sadz
July 3, 2007, 12:28 PM
Has any1 noticed how big time losers we r in first innings? I mean in Bangladesh-India test we had about 118 all out, then sri lanka 1st test it was 89/10 and now just today 62/10. Imagine what the score would look like without rajin Saleh. In second innings we feel no pressure and do very well in batting like previously. But having said that Mortaza said that we got out on very good balls and it wasnt our day. Hes right, normally we have positives to look for this time it was only the 1 wicket! But i hope Murali and Malinga get a rest, then it would be a real match. Anyway hope they put up a better performance cos im getting tired now.

WarWolf
July 3, 2007, 12:34 PM
Simple answer: The knowledge that BCB is in absolutely no position to organize and develope BD Test performance and supporting infrastructures. Unfortunately enough... BCB has been able to hide this harsh truth for the last 6+ years and suddenly the curtain is pulled off through the restarting of BD's Test matches in 2007!
Curiously waiting for the proposed new comittee and its actions.

LateCut
July 3, 2007, 12:36 PM
Now who will want to become coach of this team when its test status is increasingly in doubt?

Sadz
July 3, 2007, 12:42 PM
Possibly R.Mcinnes, he would be desperate to turn things completely around! He could even get a higher pay

sharifk
July 3, 2007, 01:38 PM
this is true...our team has no plethora of batting talent, they just screw it up in the longer version with total lack of any understanding.

It's not necessarily the only option that we can improve only by playing weaker sides. No one can guarantee that it will improve that way. In fact most of the Test sides were not strong enough when they started playing Test cricket. However, each of them has progressed only playing at the Test level. The best way to improve our players capabilities/qualities are by exercising appropriate quality improvement initiatives. For this, we need appropriate planning that includes identifying the baseline performance metrics for our players. Improvement can only be made from the baseline. To establish the baseline each players should be allowed to play with their own skills and style because only those can provide true baseline or current capabilities of the players. I won't go into the details of this boring topic, but all I can say is that the players in the team needs to be selected based on the best skills, and they should be allowed to play with each player's own style and capabilities. Skilled players can learn from their own mistakes, but we shouldn't just keep on telling them that they aren't good enough nor should we tell them to alter their styles. We must think of patience, aggressive, etc. also as skills so that they can be taught by methods and tools and not by just stating to change them.

Sovik
July 3, 2007, 02:05 PM
feels like a bottomless pit.

Sohel
July 3, 2007, 02:18 PM
Seven years and still (obviously) not enough first class cricket, both interms of quantity and quality. Test cricket ability does not happen by osmosis. Young Malinda Warnapura played 107 first class matches before his debut. Old JOB played only 42 to date. Simple enough?

mali007
July 3, 2007, 02:24 PM
BCB should arrange few 4days first class matches against the West Bengal team. That will help us tremendously. Moreover the exchange tour will be less expensive.

syzygy
July 3, 2007, 05:40 PM

remember this thread?

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?p=483611&post#483611

look who is speaking now Mr. F?

Miraz
July 3, 2007, 05:51 PM
Bangladesh scorede 62 runs in the first innings, true. It's a part of the Test life. It's never easy. many team have done much worse in the past with much better experience and no one questioned their Test status. We are very happy to fire the shots immediately we see something is going wrong.

Remember Pakistan's match against Australia at Sharjah (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2002-03/AUS_IN_PAK/SCORECARDS/AUS_PAK_T2_11-15OCT2002.html) where Pakistan got bundled out for 59 in the first innings and 53 in the second innings.

We are passing through a transition state, coach left, a new captain; it will take some time to restore the order. I am very sure Bangladesh will regain their Test form which they showed against Australia or West Indies pretty soon. Things are just going i opposite way right at the moment and only patience is required, nothing else.

We have problem in the domestic structure and we have to sort that out. I think BCB is already working on it and we can reap the fruit within couple of years.

layperson
July 3, 2007, 06:24 PM
I have just read the thread topic and checked cricinfo before posting this. I did not go through the posts in this thread but I am guessing that they are ale filled with disappointment and anger.

First of I myself was dumbfounded when I saw the scorecard in cricinfo !!!! However, I think one aspect to note here is that Sri Lanka has always been our achilles' heel. We have always had terrible tours of sri lanka and most of our embarassments have been handed to us by the Lions. We have not performed as bad even against Australia. So taking this into consideration I would have to say that this was more or less expected to happen at some point of the tour. No point in blaming the team or Ashraful the captain. The best to go about this is to try anf forget this ever happened and go on practise harder. If we keep thinking about this disaster it will only harm us so best to just forget it and get back to the nets. Hopefully we have sunk to the lowest ebb and the only way to go now in this tour from now on is up.

al Furqaan
July 3, 2007, 07:28 PM
remember this thread?

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?p=483611&post#483611

look who is speaking now Mr. F?

i said perhaps...as in maybe, possibly, etc out of anger and frustration.

i also mentioned in another forum that being 33-5 against SL batting first is an ideal position to be in...frustration when ur not allowed to use profanity in a forum.

so what, you knew BD would be bundled out for 62? did u get that from your horoscope?

but congratulations on achieving the most meaningful thing you will ever do in ur life (finding a contradictory post of mine)!

chinaman
July 3, 2007, 09:09 PM
Our focus have been so far on the team itself. We were really eager to prove ourselves on the field. Within this eagerness, BCB somehow escaped our critical notion, the kind we usually reserve for the non-performing top orders, partly because it was run by a bunch of non-cricketers heavily backed by political corners and partly because we were trigger happy with a few wins here and there. Now that the political backing is gone, BCB's emptyness is severely exposed. For example,

The High Performance unit is quite credible by name but we have no idea whether it is performing low or even zero. Besides, is there a high performing coach available to run the show? We should know that our local coaches can do only so much.

Pacer hunt is exciting without a doubt but after the hunting how does the BCB take care of the talented pacers? Sending one or two of them to Australia for two months does little to make them test worthy. Besides, what about spinner hunt, or, batsmen hunt?

Batting has been a problem for us for ages. What did BCB do apart from relying on one coach who had to train everything from fielding to running to bowling to even holding the bat? When things go wrong match after match someone from BCB should have cried for more help.

I'm not even going to mention about the league.

BCB should be run by experienced professionals, not by the salesmen and definitely not by the beneficiaries of the corrupt politicians. Since we have professionals with little or no experience of test arena, we can hire foreign experts for the time being while we groom our own.

rafiq
July 4, 2007, 08:07 AM
Now who will want to become coach of this team when its test status is increasingly in doubt?

I don't think the test status is increasingly in doubt for anyone other than esteemed analysts at Banglacricket.com. ;) And I think Richard McInnes wants to be Coach, and has a game plan if you read Oracle's interview with him.

There's a lot of good ideas in this thread but this will take longer to solve. Getting competitive in tests is obviously a harder task than getting better at ODIs.

Money changes everything and it can improve our cricketing fortunes. We need more of it in facilities, sponsorships, tours, building up the first class insfrastructure, signing talent from abroad for the domestic leagues, etc. There seems to be no lack of ill gotten gains in Bangladesh, and everyone loves cricket, so i don't know why the rich and corrupt don't simply pour some of their (our?) money into the game. Solving cricket is certainly more glamorous than solving poverty, education or healthcare, so one would think this would be right up the alley of bangladesh's super elite.

habfreak
July 4, 2007, 08:38 AM
I agree with the not playing enough fisrt clas matches theory. We should play more 3/4 day matches against weaker teams..it worked in ODis..why not in tests? I'm not a pesimist by any stretch of imagination, but I'M NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THE SERIES AGAINST NZ AND SA...not the tests atleast.
I'm not giving up on the team, but we can't just leave them alonr doing what they are doing, it's a question of national pride.

syzygy
July 4, 2007, 03:25 PM
i said perhaps...as in maybe, possibly, etc out of anger and frustration.

i also mentioned in another forum that being 33-5 against SL batting first is an ideal position to be in...frustration when ur not allowed to use profanity in a forum.

so what, you knew BD would be bundled out for 62? did u get that from your horoscope?

but congratulations on achieving the most meaningful thing you will ever do in ur life (finding a contradictory post of mine)!

u dont need a horoscope to predict and i dont see much differnce between a score of 62 all out and 162 all out in test..either way u will loose and the match will be over in 3 days. yes when someone looks frustrated because of contradictiory views, the other person looks very meaningful.

al Furqaan
July 4, 2007, 06:12 PM
u dont need a horoscope to predict and i dont see much differnce between a score of 62 all out and 162 all out in test..either way u will loose and the match will be over in 3 days. yes when someone looks frustrated because of contradictiory views, the other person looks very meaningful.

the only sensible thing you've said is that 62 and 162 are more or less the same...

now, how does that justify your inherent biggotry???