PDA

View Full Version : Our Test status - strip it off & wait until we can actually play Test

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 10:02 AM
Okay, so that's enough. I don't need to say why this comes here.

Think hard, and think realistically. We're not in a position to play mediocre level of Test cricket, forget competitive. If I don't fit in grade 6, but in grade 4, I should go to grade 4. And that is the decision we have to make about our Test status.

There's no point in going to play a game which we cannot play. We cannot survive for even 4 days in the 5 day match. That tells you how unfit we are for this.

Our domestic structure doesn't have anything to prepare the players for Test cricket properly. And until that happens, we cannot just throw in some average players in the field and ask them to play. At the same time, our players shouldn't just get happy like a little kid when given a chance to play Test cricket, as if it's a candy that they got after bugging their parents for hours.

So what is your thought about it? Should we be stripped off our Test status?

DJ Sahastra
July 3, 2007, 10:06 AM
As much a painful report it is to read, stripping off the Test-Status is neither the problem nor the solution.

I am also inclined to say that on terms of sheer technique, the team is not as bad as they perform. If New-Zealand is on one end of the extreme (talent Vs Performance ratio), BD seems to be the other extreme.

Maybe the Team needs right message and right direction. 50 Tests and just one-win - Boys, it just won't do.

SS
July 3, 2007, 10:08 AM
We don't have to do anything but big decission is on its way. (no source)

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 10:09 AM
Mods: can I have one more option please? Option should read: "Yes, but our domestic structure should be fixed to keep Test status"

Omio
July 3, 2007, 10:10 AM
Come on man, I think we r still able to play some good cricket.
Things didnt go right way everytime, its a downwards spiral.
Everything will be alright. SL tour is always difficult for all not only us.
okay..

Ehsan
July 3, 2007, 10:11 AM
Mods: can I have one more option please? Option should read: "Yes, but our domestic structure should be fixed to keep Test status"

Done.

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 10:12 AM
Done.

Thanks Ehsan.

Baundule
July 3, 2007, 10:12 AM
It's sad; but I completely agree with you. For the first time I want a relief from watching these painful jokes.

I have always believed in the potential of our players and I believed they could overcome the mental shortcomings they have. They could be professional enough to overcome all the limitations imposed by the stupid authority. Sadly, there is no sign of any improvement. I am not saying it because of the current tests and the series against India; I conclude it also taking the WC performance (from cricketing sense, WC performance was horrible bar 1 or two matches, and the final standing hides the actual performance and the tons of stupidities) in to account.

Untill we can not improve our overall skill, a big NO to these humiliations.

Ehsan
July 3, 2007, 10:15 AM
As far as the thread goes, I gotta say have patience. We need to fix our domestic structure. We should still keep the test status. May be another year break from Test could be provided to fix the domestic structure.

Faisal
July 3, 2007, 10:15 AM
ɥsǝpɐ1buɐq uo ǝɯɐɥs
.ʞɔɐq ʇı uɹɐǝ ɯɐǝʇ ǝɥʇ ʇǝ1 puɐ 'ʎ1ǝʇɐıpǝɯɯı snʇɐʇs ʇsǝʇ ǝɥʇ ɟɟo dıɹʇs

DJ Sahastra
July 3, 2007, 10:17 AM
I would say, BD team should ONLY play home-series for next few years. Atleast they always provide some silver lining (Ashraful's Century, Mashrafe's exploits etc.)

Baundule
July 3, 2007, 10:18 AM
I would say, BD team should ONLY play home-series for next few years. Atleast they always provide some silver lining (Ashraful's Century, Mashrafe's exploits etc.)
That's not a solution. Home or away does not matter for the team. They are playing the same. So, either they improve drastically, or go for the kill.

Enough is enough!

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 10:19 AM
The question is provocative. But don't let emotions control your mind.

The question is simple. But it needs a well coordinated action of your brain, your mind, and your emotions. You're not insulting yourself, but you're being honest about yourself. The last thing anyone of us would want to do is get hired as a CEO and get paid $250,000 a year, knowing that we're not suited for that job. It's called "greed".

Ehsan
July 3, 2007, 10:20 AM

I like this idea of Home test series. For ODIs I think we should still tour other countries to make our players get used to different condition as they develop their game.

Furhter, BD A team and age level teams should also play longer version of the game and should go on tour often.

SS
July 3, 2007, 10:21 AM
Bhaijan, amader shathe ar keu ki test kelbe ....amar khub kosto lagtase je keu ar kelbena amader shathe. Shobai ignore kore last boy ke. amader batsmen aeit je ki korlo ami bujlam na. amader cricket basics nai.

DJ Sahastra
July 3, 2007, 10:22 AM
That's not a solution. Home or away does not matter for the team. So, either they improve drastically, or go for the kill.

Enough is enough!

Baundule,

I suspect one of the major problem with BD team is confidence. I so hope and wish that BD had won that Test against Aussies or the Multan Test - i can guarantee those Tests had the capability of changing the course of BD as a Test Cricket nation.

My suggestion for home-series was simply because every Team is more confident in home-conditions and can tailor it to suit their bolwers and batsman. Once some level of consistency has been established, slowly ease out of home.

Faisal
July 3, 2007, 10:23 AM
.ʇǝʎ ʇsǝʇ ǝʌɹǝsǝp ʇou op ǝʍ ..uo ǝɯoɔ ɥsob '001 ɹǝpun ʇno 11ɐ ʇǝb puɐ ɥɔʇɐɯ ʇsǝʇ ǝɹoɯ buıʎɐ1d pıdnʇs ʇsnظ sı sıɥʇ .sbuıuuı buo1 ǝʞɐɯ puɐ ʇǝʞɔıʍ uı ʎɐʇs puɐ ʇsǝʇ uıʇɐq oʇ ʍoɥ uɹɐǝ1 oʇ sɹɐǝʎ 2 ǝɯ ǝʌıb puɐ .snʇɐʇs ʇsǝʇ ɥsǝpɐ1buɐq ɟɟo ǝʞɐʇ ɔɔı ʇuɐʍ ı

OZGOD
July 3, 2007, 10:25 AM
The problem is that there are enormous gulfs between the different tiers of world cricket:

Tier 1 - Australia

SPACE

Tier 2 - Sri Lanka, England

SPACE

Tier 3 - India, Pakistan, NZ, Sth Africa

SPACE

Tier 4 - WI

SPACE

Tier 5 - BD

SPACE

Tier 6 - Zim

SPACE

Tier 7 - Everyone else

The reasons why OZ are at the top have been discussed at length - professionalism, strong domestic competition, talent, etc. England are getting up there too despite the Ashes debacle. SL are not quite as professional but are on the way and have some very talented players. Then there's a bit of a gulf to the rest.

DJ Sahastra
July 3, 2007, 10:25 AM
Bhaijan, amader shathe ar keu ki test kelbe ....amar khub kosto lagtase je keu ar kelbena amader shathe. Shobai ignore kore last boy ke. amader batsmen aeit je ki korlo ami bujlam na. amader cricket basics nai.

Bhaijaan,

You make my eyes water with your post - i am not good with words to explain what i feel.

Damn if i had the diktat, i'll make every of those Test teams play my beloved team. No one has he rights to ignore my younger brother and no one gets away with that.

BD batsman have all the cricket basics and much more- they just forget it when they play, and especially so against SL. And that makes me sheer mad.

Baundule
July 3, 2007, 10:28 AM
Baundule,

I suspect one of the major problem with BD team is confidence. I so hope and wish that BD had one that Test against Aussies or the Multan Test - i can guarantee those Tests had the capability of changing the course of BD as a Test Cricket nation.

My suggestion for home-series was simply because every Team is more confident in home-conditions and can tailor it to suit their bolwers and batsman. Once some level of consistency has been established, slowly ease out of home.

This is not true for the BD team. Just look at the double century list against us and you'll get the answer. ;)

BD played quite well in Australia, in stead.

SMHasan
July 3, 2007, 10:39 AM
I understand the feelings. It is very hard to digest these performances.

Are we that bad? We did not have any plan when we had not played a test match in twelve months.Our players did not play some 3/4 day matches to compensate the test matches prior to this tour. But it was really necessary to get them used to the longer version matches but sadly BCB did not bother. I just can't believe that this is the team which played a brilliant test match against the mighty Australians just a year ago.

Technically thinking we made the same mistakes. Javed Omor and Habibul got out in the same fashion, they exactly replayed their shots and got out. Nafees continues to struggle, it doesnt matter whether he recieved a bad decision this time. Ashraful showed why we needed practice matches by playing shots too early. Only Rajin showed some resistance.

After the first test I thought we still need JO and HB but now I am clueless. Even if we drop them who is gonna replace?

It's totally a hopeless situation. Even for an extreme optimist.

sislam2
July 3, 2007, 10:41 AM
I think this is a mockery of our WC achivements

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 10:43 AM

Don't confuse Tests with ODIs.

WarWolf
July 3, 2007, 10:56 AM
As much a painful report it is to read, stripping off the Test-Status is neither the problem nor the solution.

I am also inclined to say that on terms of sheer technique, the team is not as bad as they perform. If New-Zealand is on one end of the extreme (talent Vs Performance ratio), BD seems to be the other extreme.

Maybe the Team needs right message and right direction. 50 Tests and just one-win - Boys, it just won't do.
Just my thought. What we need is the application capability which is surely missing.

DJ Sahastra
July 3, 2007, 10:56 AM
I propose the following option in poll:

Yes, But with a GonoDholai for (BCB & BD Players) following every embarrasing performance.

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 10:58 AM
I propose the following option in poll:

Yes, But with a GonoDholai for (BCB & BD Players) following every embarrasing performance.

Then the players will pretend to be sick before every match.

sharifk
July 3, 2007, 11:00 AM
Patience please!!!! Why this question has been raised by our die hard fans even though the same fans have argued so much when same had been proposed by outsiders. As I have said in other threads, people who are questioning our Test status are looking at wrong reasons. You all care about the results, but you need to think about what can bring the desired results, especially the planning aspects of it. Blaming our talents won't help. Stop playing Test won't help either. By playing a few years, our team almost came as close to compete with the Australia. By not playing 13 months, we already see the results. So how can one propose not playing at all? The same talents who can score consistently over 200 in a 50 over games, can't score more than 100 tells me something about their mentality. I think we have been asking to alter their playing styles too much. The confidence is low because of some unprofessional talking by our management. And not to mention, we have picked too many non performers and out of form players. I have said enough about the reasons and team selection issues in these threads:

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=22518

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=22419

I will bring these threads up for people to read.

pocha
July 3, 2007, 11:02 AM
ICC or anybody should not show any mercy on us. Just strip off our test status immediately because we dont desreve it, we are worse than Zim. Let us earn it respectfully without anybody's doya. Please go back home and dont play any more test and give us more pain.These players have lost all my respect and trust and made us a laughing stalk. Damn!

cricfanz
July 3, 2007, 11:05 AM
after this performance, i know my reaction is veyr knee-jerk, but STRIP it!!!

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 11:07 AM
Patience please!!!! Why this question has been raised by our die hard fans even though the same fans have argued so much when same had been proposed by outsiders.

Being die hard fans doesn't warrant being emotionally captivated for something that your team can't do. When we know ourselves that these boys aren't doing anything, why would we push them to do it more? It's not like a circus show you know?

Outsiders asking the question may have thrown a few of the members off. But now it's me, and insider, who's asking that question. That should give you a sigh of relief, and let you think critically, and with less emotions involved.

sharifk
July 3, 2007, 11:12 AM
Being die hard fans doesn't warrant being emotionally captivated for something that your team can't do. When we know ourselves that these boys aren't doing anything, why would we push them to do it more? It's not like a circus show you know?

Outsiders asking the question may have thrown a few of the members off. But now it's me, and insider, who's asking that question. That should give you a sigh of relief, and let you think critically, and with less emotions involved.

Let's think again who is emotional here. There is no question that we have better talents than a few years back. Yet our teams performed much better earlier. Why? Because when we had not so talented player, their defensive style worked because that was their natural style. Now that we have skilled players, the same style won't work because the new generation players' natural style of play is different, and we are asking them to alter. This is why it's not working along with wrong team selection. In the ODI it's been working because our players are playing their natural games. So this reaction is just being too emotional..

sadi
July 3, 2007, 11:16 AM
Pathetic. We are surely not that bad. No team is. I am pretty sure even Canada can score 100 runs against any opposition.

DJ Sahastra
July 3, 2007, 11:21 AM
Then the players will pretend to be sick before every match.

That will atleast rule out mentally weak players.

GonoDholai clause is a must. Mods, pls help! :mad:

WarWolf
Good point. But Kabir I can assure you brother that stripping us from test cricket won't do any good to our cricket. What we need is to reconstruct the system being in the system. Destroy the system first then construct it model won't work here as people will loose their interest in watching cricket, newbies will loose interest coming to cricket and so on.

A good system analyst is able to analyse the system well enough to reconstruct it keeping its normal operations. We need to bring some good professional cricket analyst from Austrlia and Sri Lanka to make a complete reconstruction plan. Then BCB should be brave enough to execute it.

Kabir
Pathetic. We are surely not that bad. No team is. I am pretty sure even Canada can score 100 runs against any opposition.

You're damn right about that. Canadian players have some nerves in them. Zimbabwe even in their worst Test days played better Test than us.

I'm not against Bangladesh team. I'm with them at every step of the way. They're my team. But that doesn't mean I cannot suggest a change that I think is much needed at this moment. I don't want to stay blindfolded, and keep praising my team, whereas my team needs a thousand hours of practice. But during that phase when my team practices, I'll be with my team for every second of it.

syzygy
July 3, 2007, 11:22 AM
well i voted no simply because bd failed to last a single day in 4 consecutive test matches..they need to go back to the drawing board and chalk out a new strategy..changing coach or players is not the solution..they need to plan long term, short term success never last long.

al Furqaan
July 3, 2007, 11:41 AM
to be honest, for the first time, i feel like there is nothing BD can offer test cricket. we HAVE NEVER slumped this low, not even around WC 2003 times.

this is definitely rock bottom. in fact i am amazed that we can perform so poorly. this isn't even poor. its an embarassment.

i really don't know which option to vote for.

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 11:53 AM
I hope Tehsin bhai won't mind if I quote him here as well. That's some serious argument. Everyone should read his comments. Then post your thoughts.

Numero uno - Our Players. No Pride, No shame. Forget country, play for yourselves. We are still the amateur team that plays picnic cricket. Our cricketers are told time and time again that it's not their fault that they fail to even produce a first class result. The associates will play out of their skins if they were given this kind of opportunity. They don't even have FANs or sponsorship behind them.

Numero Dos - I will still keep the players. Maybe bring in some from the middle generation (the likes of Tushar, Rokon - only if they are in form) back. However, BCB top brass need to step down. What have they done for our cricket in the last few years ? NOTHING. The only times they 'worked' was when they spent a few hours trying to convince Dav Whatmore to be our coach and arrange the dealwith cricket Australia to help with our youth development program. A program is worth nothing if this boys don't get ACTUAL MATCHES to play. For the life of me, I can't understand how they can't arrange and manage even a decent first class championship along with a B-grade (not even looking for a C-grade at this time) league with the leftovers and future prospects.

ICC - PLaying Test matches won't make us a Test team. It's pretty obvious by now, isn't it ? before we blame ICC, let's clean up house, let's focus on our domestic championships, give other players a shot at catching up with the STAR players and BEAT them out of the team with consistency. We show performance and the other teams will line up to play us. Blaming ICC is simply a WELFARE mentality. We will get what's rightfully ours by becoming a solid Test nation. Karo bhikkhar jonne boshe thaklena konoi unnoti hobena.

Quoted from: We hit another rockbottom (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=22593)

al Furqaan
July 3, 2007, 11:53 AM
funny all the foreigners voted for test status being removed....somehow the slogan of the chinese boxer rebellion seems apt...

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 11:56 AM
funny all the foreigners voted for test status being removed....somehow the slogan of the chinese boxer rebellion seems apt...

Not really. TinTin didn't vote for Test status being removed.

Either way, whoever voted for Test status being removed, I'm in agreement with them. I may not agree with their reasoning, but I shall agree with the vote.

DJ Sahastra
July 3, 2007, 12:11 PM
Not really. TinTin didn't vote for Test status being removed.

Either way, whoever voted for Test status being removed, I'm in agreement with them. I may not agree with their reasoning, but I shall agree with the vote.

I do not agree with ones who voted for "No" (Or Test Status Removal).

And i am still waiting for my GonoDholai option - cos i can't vote on any of the options associated with Yes.

DJ Sahastra
July 3, 2007, 12:13 PM

AFAIK, Everyone except Tintin & Syzygy are Bangladeshis.

So how did you conclude that "foreigners voted for test status being removed". Just curious?

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 12:15 PM
So how did you conclude that "foreigners voted for test status being removed". Just curious?

Aray doyal baba, al Furqaan baba pagol hoye gese. Oke pagla garo te pathate hobe!

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 12:16 PM
I do not agree with ones who voted for "No" (Or Test Status Removal).

And i am still waiting for my GonoDholai option - cos i can't vote on any of the options associated with Yes.

Gono dholai option will make it sound childish. So doyal baba, apnake ei option gulo te stick korte hobe, I'm afraid :)

LateCut
July 3, 2007, 12:19 PM
Like it or not our test status will be tripped. This is going to happen. The real question is, if we get bowled out in 25 over, are we even fit to play 1-dayer? I am frustrated by this display and am convinced that we were pushed into this situation by sheer emotions. We are what we are. A bunch of minows.

sandpiper
July 3, 2007, 12:27 PM
ekti harano biggopti (WANTED)

aaj shokal hoite BC discussion forum-e Miraz bhai ke paaoa jacchena :)

I guesss, ODHIK SHOKE PATHOR :(

DJ Sahastra
July 3, 2007, 12:41 PM
Gono dholai option will make it sound childish. So doyal baba, apnake ei option gulo te stick korte hobe, I'm afraid :)

Radical times call for radical options and in my opinion, GonoDholai is the most mature option.

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 12:52 PM
ekti harano biggopti (WANTED)

aaj shokal hoite BC discussion forum-e Miraz bhai ke paaoa jacchena :)

I guesss, ODHIK SHOKE PATHOR :(

Miraz bhai's out for a conference. He mentioned about his absence earlier. He'll be back at the end of this week or something. He'll be online at one point of another though, just for a few moments may be (from what I know of his tur turani obhash).

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 12:53 PM
Radical times call for radical options and in my opinion, GonoDholai is the most mature option.

Ok. I'm convinced.

Mods: If you find DJ's suggestion appropriate, please add his option for a gono dholai to the players after each performance.

Doyal Baba's happy?

SS
July 3, 2007, 12:55 PM
We, all fans, want our voice to be heard ...reach to the ears of BCB. "Time for a change in structure, otherwise they will see head fracture"

WarWolf
July 3, 2007, 01:00 PM
We, all fans, want our voice to be heard ...reach to the ears of BCB. "Time for a change in structure, otherwise they will see head fracture"
Is there any formal way for us to reach BCB or CTG govt?

SS
July 3, 2007, 01:05 PM
There is no formal way but the best possible way and what regular public do the best..."agun jalao".

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 01:15 PM
There is no formal way but the best possible way and what regular public do the best..."agun jalao".

I can volunteer and pass $10 for kerosene to our Dhaka based members. Or did the price go up after the war in Iraq?

Russell2k7
July 3, 2007, 01:19 PM
Take it off and earn it bak.I mean 62 all out, what the hell is this. Kick Bashar out of the team its not too late. Lets see what happens in the third test.

Shafin
July 3, 2007, 01:22 PM
Floodmail 'em.

I'm with DJ,Publicer padany khile shob sidha hoiya jaibo.

Murad
July 3, 2007, 01:28 PM
Yes, but we need to improve. Just keep playing and get better

i voted for the 3rd option mistakenly.. :(

We are doing bad at the moment because of the selectors.. They selected a team which is the worse test team of all time.. First of all they shouldnt pick Sakib, Bashar, Pilot, Mushfique, Mehrab Jr, Sharir and Nafees. We are playing with bunch of out of forms players.. Nafees and Bashar are completely out of forms.. I never seen a test team like this where they have 2/3 top order out of forms players... Test matches is not the place to get your forms back.. You have to play in domestic level or with the A team.. But Faruk and Co. thought its the right place to get their forms back..

Test is all about experiences.. If a person does better in under-19 or in the ODI team that doesn't mean that hes gonna do better in Tests as well.. Hes so young and let him play in domestic leagues or with the A team.. Let him gain experienece before selecting him for the Tests.. I think selectors are also confused about Test and ODI.. They think its the same.. or whatsoever..

There are bunch of players who are doing hard jobs to make runs in domestic cricket, some are like Al Shahriar Rokon, Tushar Imran, Alok Kapali and many more.. They are making a lot of runs and having few centuries as well.. Why dont they select them for the tests?? They have more experience.. Yes you can say that our domestic league is like picnic but hey they played for hours and that gave them the right temperament to stay in the wicket for long hrs.... They should have selected some of the guys from there and then we would have a balanced team..

Our selectors are relying on the Under-19 and Academy players but they are neglecting the top performers of the domestic cricket.. some of them are so consistent... they are now more matured and aged.. When they played for the national team they were young and made lot of mistakes.. but now they deserve another chance. Unfortunately our this selection committee is not recognizing them.. WE NEED MORE MATURED PLAYERS IN THE TEST TEAM... not 18/19 years old kids.. Those players could come in later when they are matured/experienced enough to play test again..

I just hate those M-F selectors.. Ba$trds.. sorry for bad words.. :(

One World
July 3, 2007, 01:31 PM
#18 shows the true picture and #11 is the solution.

"All we here is dust in the wind"

Xavier
July 3, 2007, 01:37 PM
I allowed myself to vote though not being bangladeshi and I chose 2nd option.

I couldn't see the match and I don't know why things went so wrong in the 1st innings, but I think it must be said to bangladeshi batsmen partial excuse that Murali and Malinga are really devastating bowlers at the time, and many BD cricketers are quite young and need a lot of experience. And the whole team looks like being in a serious lack of confidence right now.

I don't think many other teams would make much better against this srilankan bowling attack, and I'm sure that if Bangladesh were playing home series to New Zealand, West Indies or maybe even South Africa or England, results would be much better.
Bangladeshi young talents need to play more to raise the level of their game, and maybe playing unofficial 4-day matches against A teams could help... anyway stop playing to this Sri Lanka team (3 of the last 5 Test series were against them!) because it looks like cricketing masochism!

Keep the faith, better times will come!

Sohel
July 3, 2007, 02:26 PM
Predictably enough, I voted for the 5th option-

Yes, but our domestic structure should be fixed to keep Test status.

I wasn't raised to allow exasperation or fair weather dictate my choices.

al Furqaan
July 3, 2007, 03:14 PM
i've been saying this for a while, but we might very well be a top 4-5 team in the ODI rankings by 2010, and yet still suffer innings defeats in tests on a regular basis. we haver serious problems that need to be addressed.

Electrequiem
July 3, 2007, 03:23 PM
Strip it off. Our players take it for granted now. Let them work hard for it.

SS
July 3, 2007, 03:26 PM
interesting... othercases ppl like the concept of stripping off to see...but this case stripping off won't allow us to see test cricket...
abaro matha awlao gelo.

sadi
July 3, 2007, 03:29 PM
There is no point blaming the selectors or the managements. We are just simply not good enough.

Electrequiem
July 3, 2007, 03:30 PM
interesting... othercases ppl like the concept of stripping off to see...but this case stripping off won't allow us to see test cricket...
abaro matha awlao gelo.
hehe ... matha awlai jawar motoi bepar.

Shafin
July 3, 2007, 03:33 PM
There is no point blaming the selectors or the managements. We are just simply not good enough.
Then who is the "we"?

We fans?

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 03:43 PM
Then who is the "we"?

We fans?

If it's us, the fans, how do you answer this WE part?

Kabir
July 3, 2007, 03:46 PM
abaro matha awlao gelo.

Bhaijan...apnar ghumanor time hoise...ghumay poren...taile right type of stripping dekhte paren hoyto ;)

Ibrahim
July 3, 2007, 03:48 PM
I am surprise to see the bad performance of BD team in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region w:st=<st1:place w:st="on">Sri Lanka</st1:place></st1:country-region>, because the quality of the team is not that level. There is something wrong. I am sure the team will be back to normal form any time. However, to improve the overall quality of the team the infrastructure domestic cricket should be improved. In addition, we need a coach like Dave Whitmore.

Murad
July 3, 2007, 03:52 PM

Selectors are the ones to be blamed. They didn't pick the right test team.. They are confused that Test is not ODI. They just want to give chances to young ones.. from u-19. They dont care about the experienced ones from the local teams..

Both Faruq n Athar Ali must resign...

Slysaint
July 3, 2007, 04:18 PM
mockery of our world cup achievements? seriously strip away the patriotic emotions and u will see even this world cup was not the performance one would have expected from a test playing country, yeah we had three wins... woopie yay.. so what .. look at every other match, check how badly we were defeated .. one team we were suppose to beat, we lost to them .. cmon now .. what achievements are we talking about?

incase you dont remember :-

srilanka :- 318/4 (50 overs), Bangladesh :- 112 all out (37 of 46 overs); Sri Lanka won by 198 runs (DL)

Bangladesh :- 104/6 (22 overs), Australia :- 106/0 (13.5 of 22 overs); Australia won by 10 wickets

Bangladesh :- 174 all out (48.3 overs), New Zealand: 178/1 (29.2 overs); New Zealand won by 9 wickets

Bangladesh :- 143 all out (37.2 overs), England :- 147/6 (44.5 overs); England won by 4 wickets

Ireland :- 243/7 (50 overs); Bangladesh :- 169 all out (41.2 overs); Ireland won by 74 runs

West Indies :- 230/5 (50 overs), Bangladesh :- 131 all out (43.5 overs); West Indies won by 99 runs

Slysaint
July 3, 2007, 04:20 PM
I am surprise to see the bad performance of BD team in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region w:st=<st1:place w:st="on">Sri Lanka</st1:place></st1:country-region>, because the quality of the team is not that level. There is something wrong. I am sure the team will be back to normal form any time. However, to improve the overall quality of the team the infrastructure domestic cricket should be improved. In addition, we need a coach like Dave Whitmore.

this is our normal level, the tests against pakistan and australia were abnormal.

Sillypoint
July 3, 2007, 04:20 PM
It is SL who should be banned from playing cricket. They should only be allowed to play test if they drop Malinga and Murali (are they human?).

zahid
July 3, 2007, 04:28 PM
I am surprised that Kabir bhai opened such a thread. I guess, even this ( current state of our games ) is too much for some of us incl. me.

Ganguly da
July 3, 2007, 04:36 PM

actually I voted for the last option, keep status but drastically improve domestic set up. Stop making generalized statement.

Shafin
July 3, 2007, 04:54 PM
this is our normal level, the tests against pakistan and australia were abnormal.
abnormality is bliss,as is ignorance.

For instance,lets assume we are kicked out,then where will the money come from?will countries host us and come to us just to play some ODIs?It'll be a step back,and I'm sure many fans like you will also vanish after that.

syzygy
July 3, 2007, 05:04 PM
well i voted for option 4 which seems apt to me (i think thread opener asked for honest opinion) considering the current state of test cricket bd is playing. definitely they are accountable to their fans (homegrown and foreign) and to the nation as a whole and certainly cant take their status for granted. scoring less than 100 in two consecutive matches is very disheartening, whatever be the quality of opposition may be. i read in cricinfo that Bangladesh's innings of 152 balls (25.2 overs), is the fourth-shortest completed first innings of a Test. The shortest is 113 balls during the Ashes Test at Lord's in 1896. i hope we dont need to look back at history pages that are 100 years old. Its sad. anyway one of the remarks seems to be aimed at foreigners. i hope no one suffers from xenophobia here.

p.s. option 5 is part of the solution but they need to go back to the drawing board and completely regroup themselves.

nzfan
July 3, 2007, 05:11 PM
Do you know why Australia is so good?
its because they dont have the "if you dont win its ok, atleast you tried attitude" in junior sports etc
and also there was a joke back in the day

"what does Ian ferguson and Australia have in common? They both have 4 gold medals"
ian ferguson being a new zealan rower, Australia started up their academy and poured millions into it

also your first class competition is a joke, you pull players out of nohere who have played more tests and odis than they have played domestic cricket, it really needs to be sorted out

And i think Test status should be removed until the domestic competition is revamped enough that the players are not just chucked into test cricket, like a limbless baby thrown into the deepend of a diving pool

sadi
July 3, 2007, 05:41 PM
Selectors are the ones to be blamed. They didn't pick the right test team.. They are confused that Test is not ODI. They just want to give chances to young ones.. from u-19. They dont care about the experienced ones from the local teams..

Both Faruq n Athar Ali must resign...

Ofcourse you can blame the selectors all you want but the truth is, our players are simply not good enough. If I am not mistaken, it doesn't matter what team you have in mind, the current team will have atleast 6-7 players in them. What have those players done? Nothing. Bowlers like Mashrafee, Rafiq and Shahadat bowled one and half session for one wickets when nine wickets fell in the first session. Batsman like Ashraful, Rajin, Golla have made batting look like rocket science when newcomers like Warnapura scored more runs than our whole team scored and he is not even out yet.

If six seven players you have in the team didn't make any contribution, what gurantees you that the two three changes you are thinking about would make the world of difference? The truth is selectors don't play out there, the player has to be accountable for their performances. But when domestic cricket standard is so low and there is hardly any replacement available, it doesn't help the situation. Now don't think I am saying selectors has made all the right decisions. Maybe they haven't. Personally, I would like to have Tushar playing instead of Mehrab. But these doesn't effect the big picture. We can change the lineup all we want but it wouldn't change anything. It didn't change anything.

Miraz
July 3, 2007, 05:42 PM
It's a very good example of a knee jerk thread. I don't think any other team who scored less than 62 in Tests have ever faced the question of stripping Test status.

Here's a list

26 New Zealand v England Auckland (http://uk.cricinfo.com/newzealand/content/ground/58792.html) 1954/55 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1950S/1954-55/ENG_IN_NZ/ENG_NZ_T2_25-28MAR1955.html)
30 South Africa v England Port Elizabeth (http://uk.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/ground/59159.html) 1895/96 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1890S/1895-96/ENG_IN_RSA/ENG_RSA_T1_13-14FEB1896.html)
30 South Africa v England Birmingham (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/56788.html) 1924 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1920S/1924/RSA_IN_ENG/RSA_ENG_T1_14-17JUN1924.html)
35 South Africa v England Cape Town (http://uk.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/ground/59068.html) 1898/99 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1890S/1898-99/ENG_IN_RSA/ENG_RSA_T2_01-04APR1899.html)
36 Australia v England Birmingham (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/56788.html) 1902 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1900S/1902/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_ENG_T1_29-31MAY1902.html)
36 South Africa v Australia Melbourne (http://uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/ground/56441.html) 1931/32 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1930S/1931-32/RSA_IN_AUS/RSA_AUS_T5_12-15FEB1932.html)
42 Australia v England Sydney (http://uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/ground/56544.html) 1887/88 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1880S/1887-88/ENG_IN_AUS/ENG_AUS_T_10-15FEB1888.html)
42 New Zealand v Australia Wellington (http://uk.cricinfo.com/newzealand/content/ground/58895.html) 1945/46 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1940S/1945-46/AUS_IN_NZ/AUS_NZ_T_29-30MAR1946.html)
42 *India v England Lord's (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57129.html) 1974 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1970S/1974/IND_IN_ENG/IND_ENG_T2_20-24JUN1974.html)
43 South Africa v England Cape Town (http://uk.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/ground/59068.html) 1888/89 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1880S/1888-89/ENG_IN_RSA/ENG_RSA_T2_25-26MAR1889.html)
44 Australia v England The Oval (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57127.html) 1896 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1890S/1896/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_ENG_T3_10-12AUG1896.html)
45 England v Australia Sydney (http://uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/ground/56544.html) 1886/87 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1880S/1886-87/ENG_IN_AUS/ENG_AUS_T1_28-31JAN1887.html)
45 South Africa v Australia Melbourne (http://uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/ground/56441.html) 1931/32 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1930S/1931-32/RSA_IN_AUS/RSA_AUS_T5_12-15FEB1932.html)
46 England v West Indies Port of Spain (http://uk.cricinfo.com/westindies/content/ground/59475.html) 1993/94 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1993-94/ENG_IN_WI/ENG_WI_T3_25-30MAR1994.html)
47 South Africa v England Cape Town (http://uk.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/ground/59068.html) 1888/89 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1880S/1888-89/ENG_IN_RSA/ENG_RSA_T2_25-26MAR1889.html)
47 New Zealand v England Lord's (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57129.html) 1958 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1950S/1958/NZ_IN_ENG/NZ_ENG_T2_19-21JUN1958.html)
47 West Indies v England Kingston (http://uk.cricinfo.com/westindies/content/ground/59458.html) 2003/04 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/ENG_IN_WI/SCORECARDS/ENG_WI_T1_11-15MAR2004.html)
51 West Indies v Australia Port of Spain (http://uk.cricinfo.com/westindies/content/ground/59475.html) 1998/99 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1998-99/AUS_IN_WI/SCORECARDS/AUS_WI_T1_05-09MAR1999.html)
52 England v Australia The Oval (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57127.html) 1948 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1940S/1948/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_ENG_T5_14-18AUG1948.html)
53 England v Australia Lord's (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57129.html) 1888 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1880S/1888/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_ENG_T1_16-17JUL1888.html)
53 Australia v England Lord's (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57129.html) 1896 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1890S/1896/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_ENG_T1_22-24JUN1896.html)
53 West Indies v Pakistan Faisalabad (http://uk.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/ground/58927.html) 1986/87 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1986-87/WI_IN_PAK/WI_PAK_T1_24-29OCT1986.html)
53 *Pakistan v Australia Sharjah (http://uk.cricinfo.com/other/content/ground/59392.html) 2002/03 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2002-03/AUS_IN_PAK/SCORECARDS/AUS_PAK_T2_11-15OCT2002.html)
54 New Zealand v Australia Wellington (http://uk.cricinfo.com/newzealand/content/ground/58895.html) 1945/46 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1940S/1945-46/AUS_IN_NZ/AUS_NZ_T_29-30MAR1946.html)
54 West Indies v England Lord's (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57129.html) 2000 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2000/WI_IN_ENG/SCORECARDS/WI_ENG_T2_29JUN-03JUL2000.html)
54 Zimbabwe v South Africa Cape Town (http://uk.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/ground/59068.html) 2004/05 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/ZIM_IN_RSA/SCORECARDS/ZIM_RSA_T1_04-08MAR2005.html)
58 South Africa v England Lord's (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57129.html) 1912 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1910S/1912/TRI-TEST/RSA_ENG_T1_10-12JUN1912.html)
58 *Australia v England Brisbane (http://uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/ground/56336.html) 1936/37 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1930S/1936-37/ENG_IN_AUS/ENG_AUS_T1_04-09DEC1936.html)
58 India v Australia Brisbane (http://uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/ground/56336.html) 1947/48 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1940S/1947-48/IND_IN_AUS/IND_AUS_T1_28NOV-04DEC1947.html)
58 India v England Manchester (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57160.html) 1952 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1950S/1952/IND_IN_ENG/IND_ENG_T3_17-19JUL1952.html)
59 Pakistan v Australia Sharjah (http://uk.cricinfo.com/other/content/ground/59392.html) 2002/03 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2002-03/AUS_IN_PAK/SCORECARDS/AUS_PAK_T2_11-15OCT2002.html)
59 Zimbabwe v New Zealand Harare (http://uk.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/ground/59545.html) 2005/06 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/NZ_IN_ZIM/SCORECARDS/NZ_ZIM_T1_07-11AUG2005.html)
60 Australia v England Lord's (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57129.html) 1888 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1880S/1888/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_ENG_T1_16-17JUL1888.html)
61 England v Australia Melbourne (http://uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/ground/56441.html) 1901/02 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1900S/1901-02/ENG_IN_AUS/ENG_AUS_T2_01-04JAN1902.html)
61 England v Australia Melbourne (http://uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/ground/56441.html) 1903/04 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1900S/1903-04/ENG_IN_AUS/ENG_AUS_T5_05-08MAR1904.html)
61 West Indies v England Leeds (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57092.html) 2000 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2000/WI_IN_ENG/SCORECARDS/WI_ENG_T4_17-21AUG2000.html)

Stripping of Test status will only create a huge vacuum in Bangladesh cricket. One score of 89 and another score of 62 doesn't make a team unsuitable for Test matches. Bangladesh is passing through hard time after returning to Test cricket and they will be just fine after few Tests.

Sri Lanka at home is always a difficult team and even Australia struggled against them, South Africa lost by innings and over 300 runs. We should look at the bigger picture and should jump into bandwagon after couple of bad performances.

MohammedC
July 3, 2007, 05:53 PM
We must improve our domestic cricket, We should play our domestic league around capital Dhaka .So players,team,ground every thing can be monitored by BCB (if run by cricket loving people).
We should not be stripped of our status. This will only take us back

istiak
July 3, 2007, 06:04 PM
Come on man, I think we r still able to play some good cricket.
Things didnt go right way everytime, its a downwards spiral.
Everything will be alright. SL tour is always difficult for all not only us.
okay..

When is the last time you saw something good in test?

amra_korbo_joy
July 3, 2007, 06:16 PM
I know where is the problem. We are playing too many ODI/One day cricket. We even courage enough to boycott test before the world cup. My prescription is 'do not play one day cricket for 2 years'. Our test will automatically improve. The domestic cricket should only consists of 4 day game.

Mahir
July 3, 2007, 06:19 PM
Let's think again who is emotional here. There is no question that we have better talents than a few years back. Yet our teams performed much better earlier. Why? Because when we had not so talented player, their defensive style worked because that was their natural style. Now that we have skilled players, the same style won't work because the new generation players' natural style of play is different, and we are asking them to alter. This is why it's not working along with wrong team selection. In the ODI it's been working because our players are playing their natural games. So this reaction is just being too emotional..

A very good post, and it speaks my mind from word to word. :up: I won't even bother paraphrasing it and convey essentially the same message in different words.

Also, I thought the thread title is rather controversial, and it barely reflects the options in the poll (one-sided title). We cant possibly ask our Test status to be stripped off, and base it on some realistic thinking. Where's the passion for the game.. for our team's game ? Instead of asking to strip the status off, why not carry on with the endless discussions on how to improve the condition that we're in when it comes to playing the longer version of the game.

Hatebreed
July 3, 2007, 06:22 PM
Some of those records are from a really long time ago, when cricket was played a lot less, so it would have made no sense to strip off their test status. We need to keep certain things in perspective. Nowadays there are more teams and competition, as well as higher expectations. What have required 20-30 years for a team to become good at test cricket back then are now expected to happen in a few years. To the contrary, they have also been playing for a long time even after getting better. As fans and critics from present time we are concerned and aggravated about Bangladesh. When New Zealand struggled in their early days, their fans and other international sides would have felt the same frustration.

As for the poll, I vote for the last option. I think stripping off our test status is not the solution, it certainly won't stop the insults from coming, and who knows if or when we'll ever be able to get it back without knowing if we can even play test cricket at the highest level.

I hate our performance as much as the next guy, but if we don't keep playing and gain experience, we will never learn. The standards of our domestic structure and competitions also need to be raised. It is imperative that all our future players get as much as FC experience as possible, including 4-day cricket, before finding a place in the national side. Cricket development is a lengthy process, we have to endure a lot of criticism and frustration, but it needs to be done if we want to ensure a positive outcome in the next 5-10 years. It might not happen, but we’ll never know if we don’t try.

adel
July 3, 2007, 06:23 PM
The fact is we need practise in order to improve and that is what is lacking. We must play with 'minnow' nations such as Zimbabwe, Ireland and Scotland in 4-day matches and then gradually gain confidence. And with that confidence, I believe that Bangladesh will be able to compete with the 'big boys'. However, time is a major issue. It is impossible to tell how long it will take Bangladesh to improve and that is a massive problem.

One day, whether it be in 10 years or 50 years, Bangladesh will not only be the no.1 ODI team but also the no.1 test team. It is inevitable. We must belive in our boys. We must believe in Bangladesh.

syzygy
July 3, 2007, 06:49 PM
The fact is we need practise in order to improve and that is what is lacking. We must play with 'minnow' nations such as Zimbabwe, Ireland and Scotland in 4-day matches and then gradually gain confidence. And with that confidence, I believe that Bangladesh will be able to compete with the 'big boys'. However, time is a major issue. It is impossible to tell how long it will take Bangladesh to improve and that is a massive problem.

how dare u say that bd is gonna play matches with minnows like zim/ire/sco/kenya to gain confidence?

remember this:
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=22207

adel
July 3, 2007, 06:57 PM
how dare u say that bd is gonna play matches with minnows like zim/ire/sco/kenya to gain confidence?

remember this:

Point noted. This is my point of view and I am sure the majority of members will disagree with it. However I am just sharing what I believe and if that is a problem, I apoligize.

nahaz
July 3, 2007, 07:18 PM
Stripping off status won't do anything.However, thank goodness we don't have that many tests in near future.Also,I think trying to play out the day has caused all these problems.Bd players take it as an instruction to be negative.Maybe dhoom-Dharakka batting is the way to go for most of them.And trust me, not a lot of us fans could have done better, since we don't have patience either.Just stop following the matches wasting your precious time and money.Maybe some former Aussie U-19 players from 3 years ago can come and show our players how to play first class cricket.<br>
One other thing I notice-our opponents always seem to bowl a lot of really good deliveries.Maybe it's because of the players' lack of confidence-threads like these don't help much.And just don't jump off bridges.Lucky there's not one near me.

al Furqaan
July 3, 2007, 07:22 PM

remember this:

the way the boys threw their wickets away, they would have been bundled out for 62 against canada...what would that prove?

bangladesh should play with whom else? question is who else is left. asides from the JOs and bashars, all the batsmen threw their wicket away for the most part. they have the skill set to do well, call to mind a certain 2nd innings in a 1st test last week.

they just do not have the application. playing zimbabwe, ireland, and boycotts mother will only mask the weaknesses.

they must be hammered out as painful (for you rather humorous) as it might be.

there is no short cut to greatness, otherwise india and everyone else would started playing tests against ireland to negate whatever weaknesses are keeping them from overthrowing the OZ atop the test rankings.

sandpiper
July 3, 2007, 07:41 PM
South Africa and England should be swapped in Tier 2 and 3
The problem is that there are enormous gulfs between the different tiers of world cricket:

Tier 1 - Australia

SPACE

Tier 2 - Sri Lanka, England

SPACE

Tier 3 - India, Pakistan, NZ, Sth Africa

SPACE

Tier 4 - WI

SPACE

Tier 5 - BD

SPACE

Tier 6 - Zim

SPACE

Tier 7 - Everyone else

The reasons why OZ are at the top have been discussed at length - professionalism, strong domestic competition, talent, etc. England are getting up there too despite the Ashes debacle. SL are not quite as professional but are on the way and have some very talented players. Then there's a bit of a gulf to the rest.

Electrequiem
July 3, 2007, 08:41 PM
You know, this pathetic 62 run innings makes me wonder ... if this was an ODI, would we be out within 25 overs with a meager 62?

jabbar
July 3, 2007, 09:52 PM
I think that BD should keep their Test status. They do not deserve to be punished like Zimbabwe. ICC had a legitimate reason to strip Zimbabwe of their status because of their political situation, but BD has not done anything "wrong. Given that they have also performed well in ODIs, stripping them of Test status would be a cruel and counter-productive blow.

On the flip side, BD should not be playing Test matches with teams like Sri Lanka. They are almost completely out of their depth against teams of such high quality. This series has highlighted the need for an informal tier system where BD should only be scheduled to play teams that they can be competitive with such as WI and Zimbabwe (if they ever regain their Test status). It is a real shame that there aren't enough teams like BD that have Test status. If teams such as Ireland were given Test status, I think that both BD and Ireland could "grow together".

In the interim, I feel that Bangaldesh, as a national team, should play against strong domestic teams more often. Rather than languishing in their own, as yet, sub-standard domestic leagues, players in the BD national squad would gain a lot more from playing against domestic teams in Australia, England, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and other countries. These first-class games should be played by the national team, not just the A team, and they should be played against top domestic teams that will make for a more competitive match.

Zaheed Mahmood
July 3, 2007, 10:01 PM
Stripping off the test status temporarily (in a bid to make BD players learn) will simply ruin the cricket in Bangladesh, playing only with minnows will be taking a step backward from learning how to play the big boys, there is no alternative to playing the big boys in a bid to learn how to face their bowlings (specially) and dominate over their battings. BD had the tough luck against Lanka since with Malinga shaping out really superb in recent time, Lanka now possess the most formidable bowling team along with Murali and the gang which can only be compared to Aussie (might also feel threatened too)!! After playing lanka in their den, BD would do far better against WI/NZ/Paki for sure!

Nafis_BD
July 3, 2007, 10:31 PM
I chose this "Yes, but our domestic structure should be fixed to keep Test status" .

Our domestic structure is probably the weakest of them all and I beleive that if we can fix that we can have future players who will win these test matches for us, so that's why I chose that(and a couple of other reasons but that will make this post tooo long). What kind of die hard BD fans are we?? Only 2 test that has not gone our way and we are talking about striping off our test status?? Miraz bhaiya's post just showed that other teams had also had rockbottoms(some more than others) just like us but their determination and support from their fans have got them back to the place they are supposed to be and even thought some are not that good or bad now they still got back from the bad patch.

I understand that after the result of the last couple of test matches many of us are frustrated at the team but this is the time when the team really needs us and we should fully support them and help them improve so that they could also be one of those teams in the list who came back and came back stronger than ever.

carry on with the endless discussions on how to improve the condition that we're in when it comes to playing the longer version of the game.

Exactly. We should be discussing more on how to improve in test matches instead of just giving up all our hopes and just ask the ICC to strip off our test status. We have many problems "when it comes to playing the longer version of the game" but we have to solve it. We need to improve our domestic structure, the players need to be more patient and wtc. Come on guys don't lose hope even if it takes 100 more test games we should stay with the team and they will improve and come back like real tigers.

I am frustrated like many/all of you as well but we need to improve, play mkore tests and etc so that the next time the tigers meet the lions we show them how the tigers really fight and how they could take down the lions, the kangaroos or whoever it is any time!!

battye
July 4, 2007, 12:04 AM
No, don't strip BD of Test status.

The team is in the process of being rebuilt, there are a lot of younger players coming through, and guys like Mashud, Bashar, Omar etc probably won't be playing in a couple of years time.

We all know what BD is capable of, after all, they nearly beat Australia.

battye
July 4, 2007, 12:17 AM
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/story/300227.html

Speed himself admitted that was not ideal. "The assumption has always been once a Full Member, always a Full Member. But I think there would come a time, if they can't resume Test cricket, when that would be reviewed."If that is the case, then for the foreseeable future, Bangladesh will remain a full member, and will continue to play Test matches.... unless they pull a Zimbabwe and suspend themselves due to their terrible performances!

Huda
July 4, 2007, 12:51 AM
It's a very good example of a knee jerk thread. I don't think any other team who scored less than 62 in Tests have ever faced the question of stripping Test status.

Here's a list

26 New Zealand v England Auckland (http://uk.cricinfo.com/newzealand/content/ground/58792.html) 1954/55 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1950S/1954-55/ENG_IN_NZ/ENG_NZ_T2_25-28MAR1955.html)
30 South Africa v England Port Elizabeth (http://uk.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/ground/59159.html) 1895/96 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1890S/1895-96/ENG_IN_RSA/ENG_RSA_T1_13-14FEB1896.html)
30 South Africa v England Birmingham (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/56788.html) 1924 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1920S/1924/RSA_IN_ENG/RSA_ENG_T1_14-17JUN1924.html)
35 South Africa v England Cape Town (http://uk.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/ground/59068.html) 1898/99 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1890S/1898-99/ENG_IN_RSA/ENG_RSA_T2_01-04APR1899.html)
36 Australia v England Birmingham (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/56788.html) 1902 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1900S/1902/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_ENG_T1_29-31MAY1902.html)
36 South Africa v Australia Melbourne (http://uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/ground/56441.html) 1931/32 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1930S/1931-32/RSA_IN_AUS/RSA_AUS_T5_12-15FEB1932.html)
42 Australia v England Sydney (http://uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/ground/56544.html) 1887/88 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1880S/1887-88/ENG_IN_AUS/ENG_AUS_T_10-15FEB1888.html)
42 New Zealand v Australia Wellington (http://uk.cricinfo.com/newzealand/content/ground/58895.html) 1945/46 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1940S/1945-46/AUS_IN_NZ/AUS_NZ_T_29-30MAR1946.html)
42 *India v England Lord's (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57129.html) 1974 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1970S/1974/IND_IN_ENG/IND_ENG_T2_20-24JUN1974.html)
43 South Africa v England Cape Town (http://uk.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/ground/59068.html) 1888/89 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1880S/1888-89/ENG_IN_RSA/ENG_RSA_T2_25-26MAR1889.html)
44 Australia v England The Oval (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57127.html) 1896 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1890S/1896/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_ENG_T3_10-12AUG1896.html)
45 England v Australia Sydney (http://uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/ground/56544.html) 1886/87 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1880S/1886-87/ENG_IN_AUS/ENG_AUS_T1_28-31JAN1887.html)
45 South Africa v Australia Melbourne (http://uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/ground/56441.html) 1931/32 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1930S/1931-32/RSA_IN_AUS/RSA_AUS_T5_12-15FEB1932.html)
46 England v West Indies Port of Spain (http://uk.cricinfo.com/westindies/content/ground/59475.html) 1993/94 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1993-94/ENG_IN_WI/ENG_WI_T3_25-30MAR1994.html)
47 South Africa v England Cape Town (http://uk.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/ground/59068.html) 1888/89 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1880S/1888-89/ENG_IN_RSA/ENG_RSA_T2_25-26MAR1889.html)
47 New Zealand v England Lord's (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57129.html) 1958 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1950S/1958/NZ_IN_ENG/NZ_ENG_T2_19-21JUN1958.html)
47 West Indies v England Kingston (http://uk.cricinfo.com/westindies/content/ground/59458.html) 2003/04 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/ENG_IN_WI/SCORECARDS/ENG_WI_T1_11-15MAR2004.html)
51 West Indies v Australia Port of Spain (http://uk.cricinfo.com/westindies/content/ground/59475.html) 1998/99 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1998-99/AUS_IN_WI/SCORECARDS/AUS_WI_T1_05-09MAR1999.html)
52 England v Australia The Oval (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57127.html) 1948 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1940S/1948/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_ENG_T5_14-18AUG1948.html)
53 England v Australia Lord's (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57129.html) 1888 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1880S/1888/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_ENG_T1_16-17JUL1888.html)
53 Australia v England Lord's (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57129.html) 1896 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1890S/1896/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_ENG_T1_22-24JUN1896.html)
53 West Indies v Pakistan Faisalabad (http://uk.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/ground/58927.html) 1986/87 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1986-87/WI_IN_PAK/WI_PAK_T1_24-29OCT1986.html)
53 *Pakistan v Australia Sharjah (http://uk.cricinfo.com/other/content/ground/59392.html) 2002/03 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2002-03/AUS_IN_PAK/SCORECARDS/AUS_PAK_T2_11-15OCT2002.html)
54 New Zealand v Australia Wellington (http://uk.cricinfo.com/newzealand/content/ground/58895.html) 1945/46 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1940S/1945-46/AUS_IN_NZ/AUS_NZ_T_29-30MAR1946.html)
54 West Indies v England Lord's (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57129.html) 2000 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2000/WI_IN_ENG/SCORECARDS/WI_ENG_T2_29JUN-03JUL2000.html)
54 Zimbabwe v South Africa Cape Town (http://uk.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/ground/59068.html) 2004/05 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/ZIM_IN_RSA/SCORECARDS/ZIM_RSA_T1_04-08MAR2005.html)
58 South Africa v England Lord's (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57129.html) 1912 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1910S/1912/TRI-TEST/RSA_ENG_T1_10-12JUN1912.html)
58 *Australia v England Brisbane (http://uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/ground/56336.html) 1936/37 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1930S/1936-37/ENG_IN_AUS/ENG_AUS_T1_04-09DEC1936.html)
58 India v Australia Brisbane (http://uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/ground/56336.html) 1947/48 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1940S/1947-48/IND_IN_AUS/IND_AUS_T1_28NOV-04DEC1947.html)
58 India v England Manchester (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57160.html) 1952 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1950S/1952/IND_IN_ENG/IND_ENG_T3_17-19JUL1952.html)
59 Pakistan v Australia Sharjah (http://uk.cricinfo.com/other/content/ground/59392.html) 2002/03 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2002-03/AUS_IN_PAK/SCORECARDS/AUS_PAK_T2_11-15OCT2002.html)
59 Zimbabwe v New Zealand Harare (http://uk.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/ground/59545.html) 2005/06 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/NZ_IN_ZIM/SCORECARDS/NZ_ZIM_T1_07-11AUG2005.html)
60 Australia v England Lord's (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57129.html) 1888 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1880S/1888/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_ENG_T1_16-17JUL1888.html)
61 England v Australia Melbourne (http://uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/ground/56441.html) 1901/02 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1900S/1901-02/ENG_IN_AUS/ENG_AUS_T2_01-04JAN1902.html)
61 England v Australia Melbourne (http://uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/ground/56441.html) 1903/04 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1900S/1903-04/ENG_IN_AUS/ENG_AUS_T5_05-08MAR1904.html)
61 West Indies v England Leeds (http://uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/ground/57092.html) 2000 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2000/WI_IN_ENG/SCORECARDS/WI_ENG_T4_17-21AUG2000.html)

Stripping of Test status will only create a huge vacuum in Bangladesh cricket. One score of 89 and another score of 62 doesn't make a team unsuitable for Test matches. Bangladesh is passing through hard time after returning to Test cricket and they will be just fine after few Tests.

Sri Lanka at home is always a difficult team and even Australia struggled against them, South Africa lost by innings and over 300 runs. We should look at the bigger picture and should jump into bandwagon after couple of bad performances.

I agree with you on some parts, like leaving a huge vacuum in BD cricket but this isn't a knew jerk reaction, we 've lost more than 95% of our test games in 7 years, nearly 20 of them by an innings, thats just no on. You can't compare stats from 1920's to now as Hatebreed says as playing conditions and times were different obviosuly.

Sri lanka of course is tough, isnt New Zealnd gonna be tough, isnt South Africa, England etc gonna be tough? Our poor performances aren't something new there has been a pattern and consistency is poor performances in test cricket, how many times have we actually played full 5 days against a CURRENT test playing nation? I think 2 twice if i seem to remember (aus and pak), that is a disgrace in it self.

But in having said that i voted last option, but i dont think that will force the BCB to do something, if we lost our test status then maybe BCB would have to invest in the NCL, they would literally be forced, until our domestic structure is improved.

PoorFan
July 4, 2007, 02:54 AM

Here's a list

Above list gives us false / wrong satisfaction / reasoning I guess. Not only those are old stats, but none of those team hit the bottom ( almost ) repeatedly or as frequently as we are doing these days, just look at recent India and this SL series. And to add further more, take a look at our performance in recent WC ( see the quote of Slysaint bellow ), be it a different format, but we lost same 10 wickets for mere score there too! And yes, doing it repeatedly and frequently recent days!

Above list and couple of win in ODI here and there, cant really cover up our horrible cricket these days. Having said that, there is no other way but stay focused, rectify the problems one after another, and yes continue to play TEST cricket. But must have to improve fast, really fast otherwise cricket world will lose patience anytime soon.

mockery of our world cup achievements? seriously strip away the patriotic emotions and u will see even this world cup was not the performance one would have expected from a test playing country, yeah we had three wins... woopie yay.. so what .. look at every other match, check how badly we were defeated .. one team we were suppose to beat, we lost to them .. cmon now .. what achievements are we talking about?

incase you dont remember :-

srilanka :- 318/4 (50 overs), Bangladesh :- 112 all out (37 of 46 overs); Sri Lanka won by 198 runs (DL)

Bangladesh :- 104/6 (22 overs), Australia :- 106/0 (13.5 of 22 overs); Australia won by 10 wickets

Bangladesh :- 174 all out (48.3 overs), New Zealand: 178/1 (29.2 overs); New Zealand won by 9 wickets

Bangladesh :- 143 all out (37.2 overs), England :- 147/6 (44.5 overs); England won by 4 wickets

Ireland :- 243/7 (50 overs); Bangladesh :- 169 all out (41.2 overs); Ireland won by 74 runs

West Indies :- 230/5 (50 overs), Bangladesh :- 131 all out (43.5 overs); West Indies won by 99 runs

battye
July 4, 2007, 04:01 AM
Originally Posted by Miraz

Here's a list

....[/URL]

59 Zimbabwe v New Zealand [URL="http://uk.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/ground/59545.html"]Harare (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2000/WI_IN_ENG/SCORECARDS/WI_ENG_T4_17-21AUG2000.html) 2005/06 (http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/NZ_IN_ZIM/SCORECARDS/NZ_ZIM_T1_07-11AUG2005.html)

IIRC, that was their second last Test series... probably contributed to their Test status getting stripped.... err, I mean "self suspended" :lol:

israr
July 4, 2007, 07:52 AM
I voted for the second option.
The main reason is adaptation, they want to learn, but aren't being able to execute it properly. For one year, we forgot tests and were so hyped up about the WC that we didn't even have any four day matches against domestic sides. We were only learning about ODIs, focusing on ODIs, nothing else. To change suddenly and come out of a habit is very difficult. They just can't adjust their mentality form ODIs to test, and to add to the misery, we are facing the 2nd best side in the world, and with the best ever bowling attack in world cricket. When I see them play in tests, its becomes very clear to me that their mental mind says something, but their physical response is different to the mind, and this is viceversa in different situations, but in ODIS these factors doesn't affect them. To sum it up, this is a blessing in disguise. We're facing very difficult challenges at the moment but this will be very helpful in future. Seriously speaking, immediately after the SL series, bring the weaker sides from the 'top 8' to play tests against us, and the opposition we shall face might seem more easier than the complete antonym our players would have expected.

Slysaint
July 4, 2007, 09:15 AM
anyone who is a fan of cricket shouldnt favor bangladesh playing any more test before bangladesh can fix its problems. heck anyone who is a true patriot shouldnt favor such either.

we dont have batsmen who can bat, forget the so called talent, talent is waste when its not applied, our batsmen who are so the called talented (average at best) doesnt know how to bat at test level, heck even one day level.

we dont have bowlers who are wicket takers, when was the last time bangladesh bowlers bowled out the opponents? we have bowlers who are at best containers, which is suited for one day version at best only during the middle overs. we dont have bowlers who can bowl to the field set for him.

if cricket is batting bowling and fielding, we dont have 2 out of three ..hence bangladesh shouldnt play test cricket .. and for fielding, we arent that good either.

Slysaint
July 4, 2007, 09:20 AM
abnormality is bliss,as is ignorance.

For instance,lets assume we are kicked out,then where will the money come from?will countries host us and come to us just to play some ODIs?It'll be a step back,and I'm sure many fans like you will also vanish after that.

you are right, ignorance is indeed bliss, what have we done with the $$ we made in the last 7 years? money needs to be managed properly. economics 101 "staying within means". bangladesh in 7 years hasnt been able to even set up proper 1st class cricket structure, teams they are all entities of BCB, Bangladesh cricket with its centralized decision making has the aura or Dhaka Gods knows best attitude, local divions arent properly supported ..

Ehsan
July 4, 2007, 09:36 AM
Nobody voted for - "No, strip off the Test status immediately, and let the team earn it back".

No, I am not blind. Click here: http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=257. :D

Spitfire_x86
July 4, 2007, 09:43 AM
Anyone who voted for #3 and #4 options wants to see the death of cricket in BD.

#5 is BS. No amount of domestic cricket can TEACH someone to deal with Murali's doosra. I don't think bunnies of Warne were short of domestic experience (Cullinan, Atherton et al.). I'm not saying that there's no room for improvement in our domestic cricket system, but if domestic cricket was everything then England would always be #1 or #2 cricket team in the world.

We spent a long time away from Test cricket. This is the main problem. And poor team selections didn't help either. Last year we played 4 tests and did well in 3 of them.

This 62 all out is not the end of the world for BD cricket. Things like this can happen.

bd_fan_from_india
July 4, 2007, 10:03 AM
i think bangladesh should keep their test status, but they should play tests less frequently with even 1-2 years gaps occuring between test matches. some teams like sa, nz have had WORSER starts than bangladesh upto their 1st 10 or so years, but they played too less tests. bangladesh have played 45+ tests in their 1st 7 years which is a overdose of tests for a new test-playing nation. ideally, bangladesh shouldnt have played more than 10-12 tests in the 1st 7 years. once bangladesh started drawing tests on own strength, then they should have got more tests.

cricket_dorshok
July 4, 2007, 10:06 AM

#5 is BS. No amount of domestic cricket can TEACH someone to deal with Murali's doosra. I don't think bunnies of Warne were short of domestic experience (Cullinan, Atherton et al.). I'm not saying that there's no room for improvement in our domestic cricket system, but if domestic cricket was everything then England would always be #1 or #2 cricket team in the world.

We spent a long time away from Test cricket. This is the main problem. And poor team selections didn't help either. Last year we played 4 tests and did well in 3 of them.

This 62 all out is not the end of the world for BD cricket. Things like this can happen.
well said

WarWolf
July 4, 2007, 12:16 PM
Nijer koster cheye Kabir er kosto dekhe amar beshi kharap lagtese. Amader player ra kobe bujhbe eita!!!

Slysaint
July 4, 2007, 01:26 PM

well in that case care to tell us, why rest of the better cricketing world has great domestic structure, just in case you didnt know, where they select their teams from. only two teams with weak domestic structure, that being bangladesh and zim.

what is ur definition of success? since you believe we did well 3 out for 4 tests?

syzygy
July 4, 2007, 03:36 PM

I dont think #4 option said "Do you want to see the death of bd cricket?" ..i think it said do u want bd to earn its respect in test cricket the rightful way?..may be the thread opener can clarify what he meant by option 4. if he meant the first one, i definitely did nt vote for it, as i would like bd to earn its place by improving their current state, and improving means a whole lot of improvement - one way may be to improve their domestic striucture but thats not all!..sometimes when things are taken for granted and one is not accountable results dont show up!

Tiger Bhai
July 4, 2007, 04:10 PM
5 days of a test match and still can be draw, that's too long, life is too short for that, i'd say ban the test match!!

Sovik
July 4, 2007, 04:12 PM
5 days of a test match and still can be draw, that's too long, life is too short for that, i'd say ban the test match!!

i liked your attitude.

ihit
July 4, 2007, 05:48 PM
To win a test match you need a bowlers who can take 20 wickets, and most of the fans will agree that bangladesh doesnt have bowlers who can take 20 wickets. Mash and rafique are decent bowlers but they cant all out oppositions twice in a match.
So that explains why bangladesh won only 1 test in 50 test matches they have played so far and that also against Zim.

Most of the fans are reacting after poor batting performance of team, but even if team have score arnd 200 runs in these recent innings, they still would have loss these matches. That also explain inability to win multan test and test match against Aus.

So guys answer me that do you think team have bowlers that can take 20 wickets to win a test match ? If no than please dont expect winning a test match against decent team in near future.

Kabir
July 4, 2007, 06:29 PM
Breaking news!

Spitty is now cool with a few bad performances by the Tigers (or cubs rather?) and for the first time, started to think that 62 all out can happen.

Terrific achievement Sir. :applause:

sandpiper
July 4, 2007, 06:32 PM
who is spitty? :umm:

DotBall
July 4, 2007, 07:38 PM
Given the options, I chose the last one to keep our status but improve the domestic structure. I think it would be ideal for us if we can be excluded from playing test for 2 years against other test nations and use that time to play against the A teams of those countries. At the same time increase the number of 4 day games at home and if possible send players out to play longer version of the game in other countries.

It hurts to say it but we do need to build the experience through practice matches and not by playing international tests. If we keep going the way we are right now our test status will come under severe threat.

Tiger Bhai
July 4, 2007, 07:44 PM
To win a test match you need a bowlers who can take 20 wickets, and most of the fans will agree that bangladesh doesnt have bowlers who can take 20 wickets.

our bowlers are ok! they can take 20 wickets, you need fielders for catching it & well know ledged skipr to set it.. couches for...etc.etc.
u see the way our bowlers bowl!! ..yes... just like a Robot!! i was thinking of blaming them but' maybe they are told to bowl like that.
to get a batsman out now days, u not only need accurate bowling but for each B.man the group must agree for his weak point and hit it hard during the show time, this has to be very well planned and stick to it.

Nafis_BD
July 4, 2007, 08:37 PM
who is spitty? :umm:

Spitty= Spitfirex86 bhaiya

Spitfire_x86
July 4, 2007, 10:19 PM
well in that case care to tell us, why rest of the better cricketing world has great domestic structure, just in case you didnt know, where they select their teams from. only two teams with weak domestic structure, that being bangladesh and zim.

what is ur definition of success? since you believe we did well 3 out for 4 tests?
How good is the Pakistani domestic cricket structure? Still they had a good team throughout their cricket history.

Last year, we lost the tests against Srilanka by 8 and 10 wickets. But none of the matches were one sided from day 1 to end, and it showed that our progress curve is going up. Everyone knows what could've happened in the next test. We sucked in the very next match, but still we didn't score 2 below 100 totals (197 and 304). Plus there were a good number of personal achievements for our players in those 4 tests. To me, those 4 tests count as credible performance of a test team which is still very much a newbie in the test arena.

yaseer
July 4, 2007, 10:31 PM
the last and 2nd option for me.........competitive domestic structure and competitive/long "A" team tours for foreign country is must for me.

Sohel
July 4, 2007, 10:36 PM
December 16th, 1971. Why are we still talking about the Paki cricket infrastructure or lack there of? Let's stay focused on our own realities and keep semantic abstarctions, and other glaring examples of conviction of one's own vanity out of meaningful posts. Apples are apples and oranges are oranges. They're both fruits.

Kabir
July 4, 2007, 11:17 PM
December 16th, 1971. Why are we still talking about the Paki cricket infrastructure or lack there of? Let's stay focused on our own realities and keep semantic abstarctions, and other glaring examples of conviction of one's own vanity out of meaningful posts. Apples are apples and oranges are oranges. They're both fruits.

Good one Sohel bhai.

Kabir
July 5, 2007, 12:32 AM

[meaningless history...]

First of all, this isn't a good example of a kneejerk thread. Rather, your counter argument gives a good example of flawed reasoning, which is overly biased because of emotions involved. Let me tell you how:

1. Scores of 89 and 62 all out aren't the issues. They speak only half the story. But these happened one after the other, each one followed by promises of a comeback result. We failed miserably in each case.

2. If you use Bangladesh's absense for Test cricket as the argument for these two results, that just shows another flawed argument. Bangladesh played 2 Test matches in b/w, with India, and they played much better than this. Yes, you'll say that it's because they played at home. That may be one of the issues. But if you say that because they're playing Test in foreign land that is causing such massive failures, that will sound ridiculously funny. And how many Tests do we need to come back to our Test-like-team mode?

3. The other teams that scored less than 62 never faced the question of stripping their Test status because they managed to perform better in the other matches following the poor performance to prove that, that performance was just a bad day at work. BD team never managed to do that to any adequate manner.

4. In contrary to the historical facts you provided, which I found quite meaningless, Bangladesh have failed the 5th day of Test in the following matches since 2005 tour of England (doesn't include the 2nd Test at SL that's underway): 1837 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2007/BDESH_IN_SL/SCORECARDS/BDESH_SL_T1_25-29JUN2007), 1833 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2007/IND_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/IND_BDESH_T2_25-29MAY2007.html), 1786 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/SL_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/SL_BDESH_T2_08-12MAR2006.html), 1784 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/SL_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/SL_BDESH_T1_28FEB-04MAR2006.html), 1766 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/BDESH_IN_SL/SCORECARDS/BDESH_SL_T2_20-24SEP2005.html), 1764 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/BDESH_IN_SL/SCORECARDS/BDESH_SL_T1_12-16SEP2005.html), 1753 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/BDESH_IN_ENG/SCORECARDS/BDESH_ENG_T2_03-07JUN2005.html), 1751 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/BDESH_IN_ENG/SCORECARDS/BDESH_ENG_T1_26-30MAY2005.html)

That's a total of 8 times in 11 Tests. Want to know more? Here are the scores that have been less than 200 in these matches.
89 vs SL
118 vs. IND
148 vs. AUS
181 vs. SL
197 vs. SL
86 vs. SL
104 vs. ENG
159 vs. ENG
108 vs. ENG

That's a total of 9 times out of 22 innings played.

Need more? In all these 11 Tests, we've survived for the following number of overs in each innings:

87.1, 32.3, 57.3, 37.2, 68.2, 80.2, 61.2, 50, 123.3, 56.1, 76.5, 58.5, 91.5, 60.4, 45.4, 27.4, 44, 72.5, 39.5, 39.5, and 38.2

That's an average of about 57 overs [these exclude the innings against India where BD tied the match]

You tell me, 57 overs on average, for the past 2 years. Is that a sudden bad form? Or is that continous problems in our Test cricket standard?

Kabir
July 5, 2007, 12:47 AM
Clearly almost everyone agrees that we need a great deal of improvement to do. The bigger question, then, is...how come there are 5 people who think we're doing just fine in Test cricket? That certainly can't be right...can it?

Baundule
July 5, 2007, 01:02 AM
Clearly almost everyone agrees that we need a great deal of improvement to do. The bigger question, then, is...how come there are 5 people who think we're doing just fine in Test cricket? That certainly can't be right...can it?
Ora oti shoke pathor. ;)

DJ Sahastra
July 5, 2007, 01:12 AM

I am sure it ain't spitfire posting. It might well be his wife/gf sitting on his computer :).

Btw, i just feel that those who voted 3 & 4 are angry, rather very very angry fans - and definitely not guys wanting or wishing for the death of BD cricket. Heck, most of them are die-hard BD fans. In their hearts, they all want BD team to wake up and start showing some fight.

Fans should be allowed to express their anger/disappointment once ina while, even if it means ekta lathi maara dorkar.

shujan
July 5, 2007, 01:13 AM
One thing need to strip off here is the back stabing fans their fan status. People are so damn idiot that watching one or two tests they start to doubt our team. I have one thing to say to those loosers you are not Bangladesh cricket fan! Get off our teams back.

WarWolf
July 5, 2007, 06:43 AM
Today's performane showed we are learning. Long break from test cricket and weak structure of domestic cricket hurt most for the poor performance. But we will recover soon.

reverse_swing
July 5, 2007, 07:00 AM

Spot on!

Miraz
July 5, 2007, 08:01 AM
First of all, this isn't a good example of a kneejerk thread. Rather, your counter argument gives a good example of flawed reasoning, which is overly biased because of emotions involved. Let me tell you how:

1. Scores of 89 and 62 all out aren't the issues. They speak only half the story. But these happened one after the other, each one followed by promises of a comeback result. We failed miserably in each case.

2. If you use Bangladesh's absense for Test cricket as the argument for these two results, that just shows another flawed argument. Bangladesh played 2 Test matches in b/w, with India, and they played much better than this. Yes, you'll say that it's because they played at home. That may be one of the issues. But if you say that because they're playing Test in foreign land that is causing such massive failures, that will sound ridiculously funny. And how many Tests do we need to come back to our Test-like-team mode?

3. The other teams that scored less than 62 never faced the question of stripping their Test status because they managed to perform better in the other matches following the poor performance to prove that, that performance was just a bad day at work. BD team never managed to do that to any adequate manner.

4. In contrary to the historical facts you provided, which I found quite meaningless, Bangladesh have failed the 5th day of Test in the following matches since 2005 tour of England (doesn't include the 2nd Test at SL that's underway): 1837 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2007/BDESH_IN_SL/SCORECARDS/BDESH_SL_T1_25-29JUN2007), 1833 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2007/IND_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/IND_BDESH_T2_25-29MAY2007.html), 1786 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/SL_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/SL_BDESH_T2_08-12MAR2006.html), 1784 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/SL_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/SL_BDESH_T1_28FEB-04MAR2006.html), 1766 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/BDESH_IN_SL/SCORECARDS/BDESH_SL_T2_20-24SEP2005.html), 1764 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/BDESH_IN_SL/SCORECARDS/BDESH_SL_T1_12-16SEP2005.html), 1753 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/BDESH_IN_ENG/SCORECARDS/BDESH_ENG_T2_03-07JUN2005.html), 1751 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/BDESH_IN_ENG/SCORECARDS/BDESH_ENG_T1_26-30MAY2005.html)

That's a total of 8 times in 11 Tests. Want to know more? Here are the scores that have been less than 200 in these matches.
89 vs SL
118 vs. IND
148 vs. AUS
181 vs. SL
197 vs. SL
86 vs. SL
104 vs. ENG
159 vs. ENG
108 vs. ENG

That's a total of 9 times out of 22 innings played.

Need more? In all these 11 Tests, we've survived for the following number of overs in each innings:

87.1, 32.3, 57.3, 37.2, 68.2, 80.2, 61.2, 50, 123.3, 56.1, 76.5, 58.5, 91.5, 60.4, 45.4, 27.4, 44, 72.5, 39.5, 39.5, and 38.2

That's an average of about 57 overs [these exclude the innings against India where BD tied the match]

You tell me, 57 overs on average, for the past 2 years. Is that a sudden bad form? Or is that continous problems in our Test cricket standard?

Too much assumptions make everything flawed.

Have got a good potential for a monologue.

cricket_dorshok
July 5, 2007, 08:27 AM
Kabir to dekhi dadar theke ek kathi sores, dada bolesilo two tier r kabir bhai ekebare...........

WarWolf
July 5, 2007, 08:52 AM
Too much assumptions make everything flawed.

Have got a good potential for a monologue.
Welcome brother after the short break. We missed your presence during the second test.:-p

Miraz
July 5, 2007, 08:55 AM
Welcome brother after the short break. We missed your presence during the second test.:-p

Thanks Warwolf. I am on official leave from BC. :)

I am attending a week long research conference in Leiden/Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Will be back on July 8.

WarWolf
July 5, 2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks Warwolf. I am on official leave from BC. :)

I am attending a week long research conference in Leiden/Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Will be back on July 8.
We will miss you till then like some other good members (Kalpurush,TheWatcher and some others). May be even more, cause we will miss your writtings.:)

biddut
July 5, 2007, 10:01 AM
It is disturbing to see some of us drawing conclusion faster than western movie characters starts shooting. Yes, we suck in test. But stripping us off will not make us better; it will force us to start from the ground up. We will need to restructure our 4 day cricket. We will need to play more test with weaker teams in home soil ( WI for example). Also once Zimbabuwe starts playing test again, we will need to play lot of test with them so we get used to it. Remember Kabir shaheb, if you have a headache, chopping is off is not a viable solution.

Baundule
July 5, 2007, 10:24 AM
The second test is also the same old story.
After the humiliation, play sensibly for some time and then again turn in to stupids. Ashraful and Mushfiques play today again shows that we are not ready yet to play tests. We have the ability; but we are wasting it almost always. This shows where the problem lies. We are just stupids in thinking and in planning.

So, give them a break for a couple of years stipping off the test status and then they can seriously think about the demand of test cricket. Reducing number of tests does not work as we witness now after almost a years break.

Sometimes you need some shock treatment!

SS
July 5, 2007, 10:57 AM
stripping of test status is not the solution. Developing our team to play as a test nation by restructuring our cricket infrastructure is the solution. We will not play that many tests anyways. I am not sure if you guys know that we have no test matches in coming five to six months. So, only two tests in a year, is not that bad. Rather we should change our domestic leagues, make it more competitive or play more first class cricket home and abroad.

WarWolf
July 5, 2007, 11:11 AM
stripping of test status is not the solution. Developing our team to play as a test nation by restructuring our cricket infrastructure is the solution. We will not play that many tests anyways. I am not sure if you guys know that we have no test matches in coming five to six months. So, only two tests in a year, is not that bad. Rather we should change our domestic leagues, make it more competitive or play more first class cricket home and abroad.
Alternative solution can be making 3/4 teams with all the national, A team and development teams and play a tournament. Each team will make of few national, A side and development squad teams players. These teams will compete in a first class tournament in which each team face each other twice. I think this tournament will keep them busy with cricket and give them good match practice.

Baundule
July 5, 2007, 11:33 AM
Not having matches and not having test status are two completely different thing. Most of the BD players have no feeling about what test match is and what it does need. They get the chance to play test too easily. Make them relize, soft remedies are not working, let's go for the hard way.

Kabir
July 5, 2007, 11:39 AM
Well said Baundule.

WarWolf
July 5, 2007, 12:27 PM
Not having matches and not having test status are two completely different thing. Most of the BD players have no feeling about what test match is and what it does need. They get the chance to play test too easily. Make them relize, soft remedies are not working, let's go for the hard way.
Realization doesn't come from watching cricket on TV. You need to play to learn about it.

israr
July 5, 2007, 12:27 PM
They get the chance to play test too easily. Make them relize, soft remedies are not working, let's go for the hard way.

That is where the BCB must take some immediate action! Cricketers in successful cricket nations always had to go through a very difficult phase in domestic cricket, and when they got an opportunity, they would realize the true value.

Kabir
July 5, 2007, 12:50 PM
Read some of OZGOD's posts. It should tell you about how intensive the process is.

In teams like Australia and Sri Lanka, there's no room for continous failure. You fail more than a few times, the management will replace you withthose hungry-for-a-chance players that're waiting in the sidelines. Our most basic problem is this lack of players who we can even think of. For example, outside our choice of obvious 3 pacers, there's nothing we have. Until recently, we only had 3 spinners that could bowl...but that I'm hoping to change with Ashraful being the captain now.

The idea here is, to maintain a quality team, you have to have quality players that're waiting in the sidelines...so that the players in the team don't just take their place for granted, but they respect their place in the team and play up to their potential. The way our players keep making the same mistake over and over again, I would be surprised if they're given a chance in even county cricket...never mind national team of any Test playing country.