PDA

View Full Version : Shahadat Hossain part 2

Sadz
July 4, 2007, 02:02 PM
A bright little Shahadat moment
Rabeed Imam
04-July-2007

COLOMBO: Even the most lopsided of cricket matches can become interesting and adrenaline pumping because of an individual on the receiving side, someone like Shahadat Hossain.

Sri Lanka may have declared on 451/6 with a lead of 389 and Bangladeshi batsmen have somehow managed to lose four wickets for 11 after looking a million dollars but if there was a phase in the match where there was a battle won it had to be when Shahadat came back after lunch on day two to get Sri Lankan captain Mahela Jayawardene out with a short ball.

“It was very pleasing. I desperately wanted to get that wicket,” Shahadat said and you just needed to remember the fiery stares, the animated chatting, the sarcastic claps and the sharp bouncers when Jayawardene was batting to understand what he meant.

“He is always complaining about my grunts when I deliver the ball. He is the only batsman who has done it. Grunting has been a natural thing for me and helps me release all the effort that goes behind a delivery…if you understand what I mean,” says the fast bowler who is beginning to adapt to the life without those loud ‘huh’s.

“I have been told by umpires that I can’t make any sound when delivering but that has meant my speed has suffered a bit. I am getting used to it but it will take a little time. But today I did not make any sound and still Mahela complained to the umpire when he came out to bat. That charged me up,” said Shahadat who clocked speeds up to 140 kmph today, a definite improvement from yesterday when he was in the 120s most of the time.

“Let’s just say we had a little ‘friendly’ exchange in the middle. He told me stuff and I returned the pleasantries. We have a bit of history which goes back to the last couple of series. I don’t think he is too comfortable batting against me and that’s why he wants to put me under pressure,” was Shahadat’s way of looking at issue. “I didn’t complain to the umpire. These things happen all the time.”

Sri Lanka has been a synonym for nightmare for most Bangladeshi players but here again Shahadat is an exception and 19 of his 25 Test wickets have come against the Lankans in 6 Tests.

“I feel for the batsmen. They are going through a bad patch and it is taking longer for them to come out of it. But believe me we will turn things around. You don’t know how hard we are working and there is bound to be result, there always is. We are not thinking of the outcome in this Test. I would think we have done wonderfully well if we can bat out the day tomorrow and that is not impossible but at 69/4 it is up to us the tailenders to take a lot of responsibility if we are to support a batsman at the other end.”

“We are a much better team and we can play a whole lot better. I have total faith in this team, the coaching staff, everybody. We will turn around and I will get faster, that’s a promise,” said the ultimate team man whose innocence and heart is admired by those around him.

“He gives his everything. His was a boss-like effort today and it inspired the whole team. He made things happen during a very difficult time,” captain Mohammad Ashraful said and amid all the problems in this second Test that Shahadat-led inspiration, no matter how brief, has been precious.

To be honest with you I find this article very encouraging and especially because Shahadot is saying it as he is very open minded and honest and he says what he means. Hope they do bat the whole of tommorrow and without getting all out. That would be an achievement in itself. Insh-allah Mohammad Ashraful will get his century as well as that was one of my expectations in the previous threads.

One World
July 4, 2007, 02:08 PM
To be honest with you I find this article very encouraging and especially because Shahadot is saying it as he is very open minded and honest and he says what he means. Hope they do bat the whole of tommorrow and without getting all out. That would be an achievement in itself. Insh-allah Mohammad Ashraful will get his century as well as that was one of my expectations in the previous threads.

Shahadot or Shahadat?

Sadz
July 4, 2007, 02:13 PM
Big deal man
lol

One World
July 4, 2007, 02:19 PM
Big deal man
lol
Not really, as it was a Rabeed Imam article I was thinking players like to be called in their correct name.

Sadz
July 4, 2007, 02:26 PM
Alright mate

truetruetiger
July 4, 2007, 05:49 PM
this article should be in cricinfo

WarWolf
July 4, 2007, 07:52 PM
Good find Sadz.

I like Shahadat's attitude. That's the way to be.

Nafis_BD
July 4, 2007, 08:40 PM
So Shahadat had a talk with Mahela and Mahela got out after that?? Sorry I must have fell asleep when that happened.

Foozy
July 4, 2007, 08:40 PM
Good find Sadz.

I like Shahadat's attitude. That's the way to be.

in both the test matches.. it was he alone who gave some fight to the opposition!!... he was the one who had his way around things... whether it meant taking early wickets... or takin a certain person down!!

jabbar
July 4, 2007, 08:45 PM
Shahadat is an impressive cricketer, and an impressive young man.

BD Tigers
July 4, 2007, 09:53 PM
I liked the battle. Shahadat bowled really well and also Mash. They bowled their hurt out. I wish we had another pacer (even Tapash wud have been better).

Anyway, after Golla hit 3 fours against fernando, Fernando said lot of things to him and Javed replied and then Sangakara and Jaya got into it and Golla almost said the "F" word and then complained to the umpire. That was pretty funny.

Sohel
July 4, 2007, 10:13 PM
Both Koushik and Rajib bowled well, very well under the circumstances. Rajib's dismissal of Mahela was the only tinge of genuine sweetness from an otherwise distasteful day. GJ's double strike was as unexpected as it began to raise not entirely false hopes.

In sharp contrast to Koushik and Rajib's bowling, Sharif found himself totally out-classed despite his efforts. With the rare exception of a few deliveries above 120kmph, his gentle medium pacers found themselves at around 115 to 118kmph most of the time. No swing, no bounce, no aggression, no wickets and 86 runs from 24 overs. Not his fault though, he should have never been selected in the first place. The typical "Charity" in BCB fails to pay off yet gain ... tsk, tsk.

AsifTheManRahman
July 4, 2007, 10:39 PM
<table bgcolor="#eeeeee" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="446"> <tbody><tr valign="top"><td align="right" width="30">82.1</td> <td width="100%">Shahadat Hossain to DPMD Jayawardene, OUT, Shahadat gets his man. And how? With a bouncer of course. Dug in short, outside off stump, chest high, and Mahela went for a pull; ended up ballooning a simple catch at square leg. Sharapova is chuffed and screams, "Yes Yes Yes!" as he continues to stare at the departed batsman. As you know, the two have a bit of history. </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td width="30">
</td> <td> DPMD Jayawardene c Shahriar Nafees b Shahadat Hossain 49 (118m 106b 5x4 1x6) SR: 46.22</td></tr></tbody> </table>

I feel sorry for our bowlers. When the batsmen bundle up for 62 only, no matter how well you bowl, the opponent will always have a mental edge derived from the knowledge that if they take it easy, they will lead by a couple of hundred at the end of the inning. It is very difficult to bag wickets under such circumstances, and I praise them for not losing heart and bowling out of their skins even after such a poor show by the batsmen.

al Furqaan
July 4, 2007, 11:02 PM
Both Koushik and Rajib bowled well, very well under the circumstances. Rajib's dismissal of Mahela was the only tinge of genuine sweetness from an otherwise distasteful day. GJ's double strike was as unexpected as it began to raise not entirely false hopes.

In sharp contrast to Koushik and Rajib's bowling, Sharif found himself totally out-classed despite his efforts. With the rare exception of a few deliveries above 120kmph, his gentle medium pacers found themselves at around 115 to 118kmph most of the time. No swing, no bounce, no aggression, no wickets and 86 runs from 24 overs. Not his fault though, he should have never been selected in the first place. The typical "Charity" in BCB fails to pay off yet gain ... tsk, tsk.

supposedly, koushik was also bowling gentle medium 120ish...and rajib was bowling 120s in day 1, but reached 140 for mahela, his love...

can u confirm?

Sohel
July 4, 2007, 11:06 PM
supposedly, koushik was also bowling gentle medium 120ish...and rajib was bowling 120s in day 1, but reached 140 for mahela, his love...

can u confirm?

I've been watching live on Ten Sports in Dhaka. Koushik ranged from 120 to 128 early in the day, and moved on to 125 to 135 later on. Rajib ranged from 128 to 135 throughout, occasionally hitting the 140 to 143 range.

The "Maleha moment" maybe the start of something beautiful indeed.

BD Tigers
July 4, 2007, 11:09 PM

can u confirm?

yes he did. he was bowling very fast. After lunch Mash was bowling faster than he was in morning. around 84 mph.

abherath
July 4, 2007, 11:18 PM
Sorry, but how has all this helped Bangladeshi cricket ? The focus should be on cricket, not on feeling great about things like this.

betaar
July 4, 2007, 11:19 PM
I wonder how much of Shahdat's comment was actually his words. But none the less, the bowler Shahadat is the only insipiration in the whole series from Bangladesh so far. Result is not necessarily everything....some times it's the effort that counts.....and he gave his all.....a true cornered tiger.

BD Tigers
July 4, 2007, 11:20 PM
Sorry, but how has all this helped Bangladeshi cricket ? The focus should be on cricket, not on feeling great about things like this.

focus shifts from the cricket when a certain captain doesn't play in the spirit of the game. i had lot of respect for him but not anymore.

Sohel
July 4, 2007, 11:21 PM

You're right bro, but posturing and bravado matters when the war, and most of the battles are lost. No offense intended, especially to Mahela, who remains 50% of my favorite batting tandem with Sanga.

Imtiazk
July 4, 2007, 11:28 PM
So Shahadat had a talk with Mahela and Mahela got out after that?? Sorry I must have fell asleep when that happened.

So let's talk every one out for less than 62 ! I think they have their priorities totally mixed up. They should learn from the Australian's graft and technique and worry about sledging and psychological stuff when they know simple things like how to bat and bowl.

rah
July 5, 2007, 03:58 AM
I liked the battle. Shahadat bowled really well and also Mash. They bowled their hurt out. I wish we had another pacer (even Tapash wud have been better).

Anyway, after Golla hit 3 fours against fernando, Fernando said lot of things to him and Javed replied and then Sangakara and Jaya got into it and Golla almost said the "F" word and then complained to the umpire. That was pretty funny.

lool

wiseshah
July 5, 2007, 04:21 AM
there is no doubt , he is the best test bowler in BD, even better than mashrafi, wish he is good in ODI too. anyway, rasel is good in ODI

al Furqaan
July 5, 2007, 04:51 AM

might be a slight catalyst for ash's century...very poor to waste that kind of effort from a quick.

:D

SS
July 5, 2007, 11:19 AM
Shahadat did good job with the bowling..I am happy that he is improving day by day. Keep it up man.

bangabindu
July 6, 2007, 05:52 AM
focus shifts from the cricket when a certain captain doesn't play in the spirit of the game. i had lot of respect for him but not anymore.

Shahadat has been doing it too much. What is the use of doing that without achieving results ?

It is disturbing all right when one grunts like a[]

Also, if you grunt, at least bowl fast ! This guy grunts and [] but can't really bowl fast unless the ball slips from his hand.

SS
July 6, 2007, 07:30 AM
Shahadat has been doing it too much. What is the use of doing that without achieving results ?

It is disturbing all right when one grunts like a [] !

Also, if you grunt, at least bowl fast ! This guy grunts and [] but can't really bowl fast unless the ball slips from his hand.
Please refrain from using a comment that might unnecessary cause havoc in the forum. We all know he makes noise, even we all have our unique of doing day to day activities. It takes time for us to rectify, so he will try to rectify but if he can't nobody has the right to take it away. If Murali can bowl because of the way God created his hand, if Malinga can bowl like that why can't he bowl the way he wants?