PDA

View Full Version : We must change our attitude now

Sadz
July 4, 2007, 04:18 PM
In test matches we have been lacking some decent batting performances which I think is because we lack the temperament and mentality of test cricket not to mention we need to change the structure of domestic test cricket but however that is not my point. Today none of these matters would have counted if we had the right attitude. What I mean by that is whenever we come to a point where we are doing really well we think ok I've done my part theres no need to do anything extra or flashy. That is missing from our batsmen and Im not pointing the finger at individuals, they know who they are. But I am going to day today Nafees and Omar batted extremely well until they decided to go for silly shots.They think they have done good so whats the need to try extra hard. We can not have that attitude, we seriously cant. I mean imagine what our BD batters could have come up with if they tried their absolute 100%. We know players like Ashraful, Javed Omar etc can score centuries but they have not been giving the right attitude and we lack that. I mean come on, Chaminda Vaas even scored a century, because of his commitment and effort. He isnt even the recognised batsmen either. But he still tries his best no matter what. The bowlers who bowled sri lanka out 5 wickets in 1st innings got their wickets in the end when they really wanted them. And the result was they got them. But Shahadat's wicket is an exception because he got his wicket pretty quickly off Jayawardene and you know why he got it, he gave 100% and he even said after the match. Well done Rajib you got 4 wickets this time. Hope our tigerz show some strong fearless attitude tommorrow or else a big innings defeat will be more than certain.

Sohel
July 4, 2007, 11:02 PM
Agreed.

I think some of our fellow fans also adjust their attitude accordingly. "Fair weather fanhood" is a dead end, especially for a 7-year old test cricket culture such as ours.

ammark
July 4, 2007, 11:22 PM
Start by restructuring selection policy. Aftab, Abir, Mushfique, Mehrab Jr, Sakib - they've all been picked from U-19 and then thrown into test cricket. Remember Abir's century last year? Guess what... it was his debut first class match. We have got to stop throwing these kids into the Test circuit based on potential. They shouldve been in bangladesh A touring around playing first class.... somewhat akin to what BD 'A' is supposed to be doing with the lesser/younger breed of players now.

I dont want to discount the fact that with whatever test experience they're getting, they are learning. Just that, its at this topmost level where their attitude is failing them, as opposed to say, if they had been in a previous first class structure. This is just what I think right now, and I know its going to fall on deaf ears.

Sohel
July 4, 2007, 11:23 PM
Start by restructuring selection policy. Aftab, Abir, Mushfique, Mehrab Jr, Sakib - they've all been picked from U-19 and then thrown into test cricket. Remember Abir's century last year? Guess what... it was his debut first class match. We have got to stop throwing these kids into the Test circuit based on potential. They shouldve been in bangladesh A touring around playing first class.... somewhat akin to what BD 'A' is supposed to be doing with the lesser/younger breed of players now.

I dont want to discount the fact that with whatever test experience they're getting, they are learning. Just that, its at this topmost level where their attitude is failing them, as opposed to say, if they had been in a previous first class structure. This is just what I think right now, and I know its going to fall on deaf ears.

Hear, hear.