PDA

View Full Version : Faruque Under the Gun: DS Articles After Day 2 of 2nd Test

Sohel
July 4, 2007, 09:48 PM
From the Daily Star, link: http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/07/05/d70705040434.htm

"The big question
Bishwajit Roy from Colombo

Who are more fickle-minded, the Bangladeshi players or selectors? The question has been raised after the dismal batting performance of the Tigers in the ongoing series against Sri Lanka.

It might sound a bit harsh but it has definitely come down on the selectors, better to say on chief selector Faruque Ahmed.

The selection panel has suddenly felt that it made a mistake not to consider players like in-form Tushar Imran or Alok Kapali, the most talked about names in the local media people for a tough tour to the island.

It was learnt here that Faruque has been taking into consideration to send Tushar to Sri Lanka to strengthen the helpless batting before the third and final Test to be held at Kandy from July 11, which came as a surprise.

"Nothing is finalised. I talked with Faruque bhai and he told me that he is just thinking about it," said selector Akram Khan, who is accompanying the team, without elaborating as the whole team management is very concerned over the 'code of conduct' after assistant coach Sarwar Imran got unkind treatment after his remarks to the press a few days earlier.

The most important part of this episode is the idea came from home, not from the management on tour. It seemed from the very beginning of the trip that everything has been managed by a remote control from Dhaka. It is natural that only the tour management can understand what is happing here and what they require, but apparently, it looks like the authority could not keep faith on it.

Under these circumstances, it is difficult for the members of the management to motivate the boys to fight against such a formidable opposition.

And just think that the same selectors who had ignored Tushar, who deserved a spot in the Test side after his impressive performance in domestic circuit and with the A team, are now considering the right-hander to perform a rescue act.

The selectors had explained before the tour that they picked up the best possible side when Tushar's omission was questioned and now after only three innings, they are in a confusing state.

However, when contacted, Faruque told The Daily Star last night that he has talked with the management in Sri Lanka about strengthening the middle order batting.

"If the management in Sri Lanka feels that they need an additional player, we will provide it. The decision is theirs'. They will contact us again tomorrow and it could be Tushar or any one among Aftab, Tamim, Riyad and Forhad who will join the one-day team," the chief selector told.

Many think that the problem begun with some of the under-19 cricketers getting one-day success playing for the national team, a fact that perhaps misled the selectors to ignore the A team -- the link between the seniors and the juniors.

Moreover, the selectors seemed to have no standard policy about the Test side and hardly planned anything during a 14-month break from the five-day game.

On condition of anonymity, many players told that it would have been better if Kapali, who was not only the second highest scorer in the domestic first-class cricket but also claimed 24 wickets, was in the squad as the current team look too young to cope with pressure. However, the seniors have also failed to deliver the goods so far.

If the selectors firmly believe that these young guys are the future, then they should stick to their policy but unfortunately they have been always in love with the 'cut and chop' policy with Shakib Al Hasan being the latest example.

It is not fair to realise something in the middle of a series and forget it afterwards."

Makes sense to me.

And also from the Daily Star, link: http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/07/05/d70705040232.htm

"Faruque down but not out
Sports Reporter

As Bangladesh stared at yet another huge defeat in the tour of Sri Lanka at stumps on second day of the second Test yesterday, the Tigers' vulnerable batting took centrestage of all criticisms.

Scores of 89 and 62, in the first innings of both the Tests in Colombo, can hardly be explained but chairman of selection committee Faruque Ahmed thinks Bangladesh will find their way out in time.

"It's shocking apparently," admitted Faruque while talking to The Daily Star yesterday.

"We are not playing well at all but I think it is happening because the batsmen are trying to change approach. One thing has been evident that they are trying to occupy the crease and not throwing their wickets by playing too many shots like the past," the former national captain opined.

"Sometimes in transition periods, the players become confused. Although this may sound like an excuse, but I am certain it is one of the reasons behind the failure.

"We also have to consider that we are playing against a quality team who are almost invincible on home soil.

"It's one of the worst phases but I have seen the players concentrating on getting better. They are training harder. Just a knock of 60 or 70 in the middle would have made these scorecards look better."

When asked whether the batsmen suffered due to lack of technique, Faruque defended the boys saying that these players have come this far by scoring regularly.

"Nothing wrong with the basics but during lean patches, a player tends to show temporary lack of technique. When one is not getting runs at a particular time, his head tends to move, the feet go across; these are finer details where they miss," the chief selector explained.

"I would say I am unsatisfied with the Test performance during my tenure as a selector but not ready to give up hope yet."

He was also not ready to accept the thought that Bangladesh have too young a Test team.

"In this Test, we have one debutant and just another player with little experience. (Shahriar) Nafees is young but he was our best performer in the last season. Otherwise, the core of our batting is made up of seasoned players. When you have five experienced batsmen, you can easily draft in one youngster. The same goes for the bowling too."

What is he talking about? Where is the accountability?

BD Tigers
July 4, 2007, 10:01 PM
He shud be down and kicked out. Irreponsible selection. So many members here wanted all youth & youth and no experience. This is what happens when no experience playing in the team. Yea I know Bashar is not doing anything either but he is out of form. Selecting Mehrab and Sakib were biggest mistakes. Now he is thinking of sending Tusher. WHAT A JOKE?????

WarWolf
July 4, 2007, 10:09 PM
Old dogs never learn.

Sumon77
July 4, 2007, 10:17 PM
I cant blame selectors if the players cant score a 200+ runs, no matter whether they are top of their form or not. The test side is not that young with JO, Rajin, Bashar, Ash and Rafiq. So its not about experience that much, rather lack of experinece playing longer version recently.

Sohel
July 4, 2007, 10:30 PM
Selectors should be blamed if they select players who are unlikely to score those 200+ runs.

Haradhon
July 4, 2007, 10:35 PM
I do not think inserting Tushar will cure the ills. The most striking fact about our battters is that we have yet to produce a batsman who can stay in the crease. Rajin showed a bit of it, but in the second innings he goofed.

Sohel
July 4, 2007, 10:37 PM
I do not think inserting Tushar will cure the ills. The most striking fact about our battters is that we have yet to produce a batsman who can stay in the crease. Rajin showed a bit of it, but in the second innings he goofed.

Very true.

Nocturnal
July 4, 2007, 10:49 PM
I really feel for this Tushar guy- our A team captain. Was in the team-didn't play a single game then OUT of the team and now wanna send him again for the last test, are you kidding Mr.Faruque:mad:

BD Tigers
July 4, 2007, 11:12 PM
I cant blame selectors if the players cant score a 200+ runs, no matter whether they are top of their form or not. The test side is not that young with JO, Rajin, Bashar, Ash and Rafiq. So its not about experience that much, rather lack of experinece playing longer version recently.

Rajin and Ash are not old. They are in their middle 20s. Batsmen get matured when they are around 30s unless u r Tendu or Lara.

Sohel
July 4, 2007, 11:13 PM
Rajin and Ash are not old. They are in their middle 20s. Batsmen get matured when they are around 30s unless u r Tendu or Lara.

Early 20s.

betaar
July 5, 2007, 12:35 AM

yes, we can't blame our selectors for the poor show by our batters, but you gotta put the best or shall I say a team with the most potential. If selectors keep adding very mediocre players like Sharif instead of Rassel and drop Sakib just after 1 match then you gotta say their's something wrong with their policy or with their head. :mad:

green_cat
July 5, 2007, 03:15 AM
faruq has always problems with his policy. can you remember before Test against India faruq told to reporters that Tushar is good for test then he didnt given any chance to Tushar to play last Test.
After that he decides that Tushar is good for ODI and he didnt included Tushar in Test against Srilanka. he included Tushar in ODI.
What is the conclusion can you guys draw from his decision. Is he Mad or Confused?:confused:

Dhakablues
July 5, 2007, 03:29 AM
faruq has always problems with his policy. can you remember before Test against India faruq told to reporters that Tushar is good for test then he didnt given any chance to Tushar to play last Test.
After that he decides that Tushar is good for ODI and he didnt included Tushar in Test against Srilanka. he included Tushar in ODI.
What is the conclusion can you guys draw from his decision. Is he Mad or Confused?:confused:

He is neither,, he thinks being a selector means always selecting from U19 Mcinnnes breed. He doesnt know how to select a team for Test cricket,, as he himselft never played one,,

Tokyobreeze
July 5, 2007, 04:06 AM
I personally think DS report depicted it truely. If performing in the league is the requirement to be selected for the National team (which for every reason should be), there is no way Alok or Tushar misses the tour. Specially the case of Tushar, with great form for A team, I don't understand the logic of keeping him out.

green_cat
July 5, 2007, 06:36 AM
I personally think DS report depicted it truely. If performing in the league is the requirement to be selected for the National team (which for every reason should be), there is no way Alok or Tushar misses the tour. Specially the case of Tushar, with great form for A team, I don't understand the logic of keeping him out.

so the only logic could be poor guy Tushar/Alok failed to offer :timeout: him some extra money? Are they really such poor guys or greedy Faruk asked too much :ticking: . i dont see any strong point ;) what DhakaBlues has said.

nobody
July 5, 2007, 08:28 AM
Those who are calling for selectors head and why tushar and alok is not in the team ask yourself wht the losers (TI and Alok) did when given chance.
Alok has the longest honeymoon in history. Rubu was voyer in his honeymoon :-p
TI is a perfect A team player. Always played well in side matches. Performence of NCL comes for nothing in international unless you are an Ash. We have better example of Shanto and Dickens. I still believe the the team we send in Lanka is the best availble. Unfortunately they are not up to standard.

Sohel
July 5, 2007, 08:36 AM

Faruikka and Ata have no policy, bro ... hence the nepotism and other ills.

Tigers_eye
July 5, 2007, 08:46 AM
We can't blame the selectors for the dismal performance by our players. The players can't even match their averages. It is certainly the players fault (90%). Having Tushar and Alok wouldn't see us cross 200 in those two first innings for sure.

Now if Faruk sends Tushar for the final match then I would fault him and all the selectors for that move. They are destroying his career. I hope Tushar declines.

Miraz
July 5, 2007, 08:52 AM
It's easy to blame selectors when players are not performing. If 11 players can't produce a good Test innings, one or two changes (which can be questionable) will not make any difference.

Apparently team for the 2nd Test had one of the best batting line up, but produced lowest ever total. Players have to take the responsibility. Tushar should have been selected but to be fair I don't find a place for him in the Test team until Habibul Bashar retires or get dropped.

It would have been the same team playing in the first two Tests.

Shaan
July 5, 2007, 08:55 AM
Tushar and Alok deserve place in the side... there is no question about it.. kick out Bashar and rest S. Nafis for a while(This guy still didn't learn to play controlling and less stroke game.. sad :(

BanCricFan
July 5, 2007, 09:15 AM
Faruikka and Ata have no policy, bro ... hence the nepotism and other ills.

i find these comments very harsh and uncalled for. When BD did so well in that test against the Aussies or won couple of good victories in the world cup- we didn't make any such accusations. Faruq and co made a very brave decesion to leave out Mashud for the CWC, although, many were not convinced. The job of selection is never a easy job...you win some, you lose some. On the whole, I have been pretty pleased by the job done by Faruq and co in their tenure. Only major blemish, perhaps, their ignoring of Alok Kapali despite him being in the form of his life. Never have been a big fan of Tushar (choker) but they could have handled him a bit better.

Fazal
July 5, 2007, 09:20 AM
"You live by the sord ... you die by the sord"

Faruk gambled and sometimes bypassed due tranparency or process and used his judgement ... if worked in his way before and deservedly he got all the kudos. But it's not working his way and deservedly so he is getting all the blame. And that is life...and Faruk (or his fans) should know about that... and should't complain about that now.

Miraz
July 5, 2007, 09:24 AM
According to BDNews, Tushar is going to join the Tigers before the third Test.

I feel sorry for him. He will play in the third Test and again a one off failure will see another long break.

He is not well known for grabbing opportunities. I hope this time he will show something different.

WarWolf
July 5, 2007, 09:29 AM

I feel sorry for him. He will play in the third Test and again a one off failure will see another long break.

He is not well known for grabbing opportunities. I hope this time he will show something different.
Most probably he will replace Mehrab Jr. Bad luck for the young boy. I don't have much to criticise about the selection except the decision for his debut against Srilankans. Even best teams in the world doesn't make debut of young boys against good teams. This is the reason we have seen a lot of debuts against Bangladesh.

Fazal
July 5, 2007, 09:34 AM

But this time most likely if he fails, he will drag Faruk along with him. Kind of funny of taking a revenge I guess.

akabir77
July 5, 2007, 09:49 AM
No matter how good they r (the selectors) when they dropped tusher after so consistent showing it says they have no clue about TEST. There was no way that they dropped him specially after Tusher making runs in SL like a month or two before. You debue a player when there r no experienced player available for the position or you think you have a tendu/lara in your hand. I can't believe players like sakib or Jr went a head not only Tusher but also Kapali for that position. And now who ever gets selected if gets selected will be another bad idea cause no way a new player can come save the day for one test so if its tusher then he will get another label for under performing as if he is so good that one chance in the middle of the tour is enough and then later fans will say of tusher got enough chances he shouldn't be selected...

If some one is send from home will make up a disaster for that player's carrier...

On the other hand for giving chance too early we might lose sakib from the ODI 2 as i am sure his confidence went down after getting dropped...

SS
July 5, 2007, 10:13 AM
Shob joga kichuri akon...kono kisu thik nai..no planning no announcement of league/cricket structure changes yet...after such a failure atleast announce something about massive league structure changes( lack of professionalism, even in IND after their performance, they atleast proposed a massive change of their efficient and effective structure).
Selectors might include Tushar, but what they have done to Tushar t o make him prepare to play in test. Not sure why Alok was not included in A teams atleast. Also Sharif's performance was so ordinary not sure what selectors will do for third test.
I wonder how they even work like this?

BanCricFan
July 5, 2007, 10:35 AM

Aha! Now, I know who voted for Bush!;)

btw, is this the american way of spelling "sord"? In English English we have a "w" there after "s".

Fazal
July 5, 2007, 10:37 AM
Aha! Now, I know who voted for Bush!;)

btw, is this the american way of spelling "sord"? In English English we have a "w" there after "s".

Bhai.... Mak koira Den... I am not good in spelling either Bangla or Engilsh or banglish. Can I still paticipate in this forum? :D

BanCricFan
July 5, 2007, 10:41 AM
ยจ^^^
oh, perhaps, its old English?

BanCricFan
July 5, 2007, 10:47 AM
Bhai.... Mak koira Den... I am not good in spelling either Bangla or Engilsh or banglish. Can I still paticipate in this forum? :D

Nay, thou mighst not if thou canst spell!:D

So, seriously, did you vote GB?

mali007
July 5, 2007, 10:53 AM
For this type of debacle , in other countries normally coach and selectors took the blame.
And subsequently they resign. But our shameless selectors especially Faruque will not follow this reality. He will be kicked out very soon!!

One World
July 5, 2007, 10:56 AM
It's easy to blame selectors when players are not performing. If 11 players can't produce a good Test innings, one or two changes (which can be questionable) will not make any difference.

Apparently team for the 2nd Test had one of the best batting line up, but produced lowest ever total. Players have to take the responsibility. Tushar should have been selected but to be fair I don't find a place for him in the Test team until Habibul Bashar retires or get dropped.

It would have been the same team playing in the first two Tests.

Very vital point but if any replacement needs to be made that should be M Sharif and M Rafique who are really showing their age.

Fazal
July 5, 2007, 11:24 AM
So, seriously, did you vote GB?

Are you kidding? I am a registered Independent. But yet to vote for a Republican.

Sorry for off topic kotha barta,

BanCricFan
July 5, 2007, 12:39 PM
Are you kidding? I am a registered Independent. But yet to vote for a Republican.

Sorry for off topic kotha barta,

yes, i was.:-p

Sohel
July 8, 2007, 05:05 AM

Faruk gambled and sometimes bypassed due tranparency or process and used his judgement ... if worked in his way before and deservedly he got all the kudos. But it's not working his way and deservedly so he is getting all the blame. And that is life...and Faruk (or his fans) should know about that... and should't complain about that now.

The simple truth.

Sohel
July 8, 2007, 05:54 AM
i find these comments very harsh and uncalled for. When BD did so well in that test against the Aussies or won couple of good victories in the world cup- we didn't make any such accusations. Faruq and co made a very brave decesion to leave out Mashud for the CWC, although, many were not convinced. The job of selection is never a easy job...you win some, you lose some. On the whole, I have been pretty pleased by the job done by Faruq and co in their tenure. Only major blemish, perhaps, their ignoring of Alok Kapali despite him being in the form of his life. Never have been a big fan of Tushar (choker) but they could have handled him a bit better.

Truth is neither harsh nor uncalled for when it comes to a corrupt national agency such as the BCB and its officials, currently under a plethora of investigations and inquiries. For the record, I have always been a staunch supporter of young, talented players in the team because they have talent and youth on their side, and our domestic FC cricket is obviously not good enough to harness their talent at this level at either form of the game to deliver consistent, back-to-back good performances. As a 40-year old professional, I have never been a fair weather fan in all of my 32-year relationship with cricket. Please don't assume too much.

As a proud Bangladeshi taxpayer living in Dhaka, I can say that they are our employees and need to be held fully accountable for their decisions as we pay a good part of their salary and other perks. In all their years as selectors, they have yet to come anywhere near presentling us with a transparent and reasonable criteria for selection at any level. There are NO checklists that assess talent in a talent-based system because of obviously inadequate domestic FC cricket - in terms of hand-eye coordination, technique, temperament and the ability as well as the tenacity to learn. There are NO transparent standards to measure improvement on a match-by-match basis. There are NO plans to groom and develop selected players. Therefore, everything IS quite arbitrary and done under the shadows. Then again, what do you expect from former players who never had the talent to hold the bat against anyone other that the mighty Uganda and Scotlands of the world. Sure, their apologists would have us pass the buck on to BCB "management" for whatever baffling reason, perhaps only to demonstrate their ignorance as to how things work here in Dhaka, and the initiatives required to make the nascent system better from those working under it.

If they take credit for selecting Mushy, they must also take the blame for their awful selections (48 players in 47 test matches BTW, a record at this level), continuing to give Alok the shaft and playing a moronic game of psychological tennis with Tushar. His bhatija, our former vice-captain with zero experience on the other hand, can do no wrong. Not nepotism? Give me a break ! I haven't forgotten the Rokons, Hannan Sarkars, Sanwars, Mushfique Babus, and Alamgir Kabirs from the not too distant past, and Sharif from the most recent one.

What has HaBa done lately to deserve a place in either sides? Why was Pilot brought back into the team? Why is Golla, who DOESN'T stay on the wicket, jumps around with his limited footwork facing quick deliveries, and still can't rotate the strike after all these years, in the team? How does a few selfish, nonsensical runs on the board continue to be taken out of their proper context to guarantee a place in the BCB payroll, and reinforce an exasperatingly puerile "conventional wisdom" devoid of everything except garbage? How may failures do you need to realize that old dogs with technical limitations and flaws cannot be taught new tricks? What gives the seletors, who have never been held accountable, the RIGHT to treat our national team as their personal fiefdom? Why must we continue to be patient with them when they cannot be patient with some of our genuinely talented young cricketers - not of the jodi laigga jay variety with technical limitations and flaws - who have no other realistic choice but to learn on the job, provided the REAL, not theoritical state of our cricket infrastructure sabotaged by the corruption, nepotism and arbitrariness some find so righteously defensible? Time to smell the morning beverage of your choice.

Amra hisheb chai, karon sheta amder odhikar.

Aritro
July 8, 2007, 06:20 AM
I have to say I've been generally pleased with the selectors over the years. Their glaring recent mess-ups have been their failure to introduce Mushfiq earlier, and also their continuing neglect of Alok Kapali. He should be in the A team at the least.

Other than that, they've generally done most of the things I've wanted them to do in the last couple of seasons.

And in their defence, it was only 4 test matches ago that Bashar was still our best batsman and having a very good time of it against the Sri Lankans and Australians. There isn't a country anywhere in the world where the selectors would drop a player of his stature after 4 lean matches. I suspect they'll give him the flick before long any way.

Aritro
July 8, 2007, 06:32 AM
His bhatija, our former vice-captain with zero experience on the other hand, can do no wrong. Not nepotism? Give me a break ! I haven't forgotten the Rokons, Hannan Sarkars, Sanwars, Mushfique Babus, and Alamgir Kabirs from the not too distant past, and Sharif from the most recent one.

Who would you have preferred to have seen them select in their place?

The 48 players in 47 matches thing was pretty horrendous, admittedly.

What has HaBa done lately to deserve a place in either sides? Why was Pilot brought back into the team? Why is Golla, who DOESN'T stay on the wicket, jumps around with his limited footwork facing quick deliveries, and still can't rotate the strike after all these years, in the team? How does a few selfish, nonsensical runs on the board continue to be taken out of their proper context to guarantee a place in the BCB payroll, and reinforce an exasperatingly puerile "conventional wisdom" devoid of everything except garbage? How may failures do you need to realize that old dogs with technical limitations and flaws cannot be taught new tricks? What gives the seletors, who have never been held accountable, the RIGHT to treat our national team as their personal fiefdom? Why must we continue to be patient with them when they cannot be patient with some of our genuinely talented young cricketers - not of the jodi laigga jay variety with technical limitations and flaws - who have no other realistic choice but to learn on the job, provided the REAL, not theoritical state of our cricket infrastructure sabotaged by the corruption, nepotism and arbitrariness some find so righteously defensible? Time to smell the morning beverage of your choice.

Amra hisheb chai, karon sheta amder odhikar.

They could hardly drop Bashar from the one-day team when he was captaining us to victory after victory while maintaining an average in the high 20s (in the period between the Sri Lanka series and the World Cup his average was close to 30). They didn't waste too much time in stripping the captaincy off him when it started going downhill either.

I think Golla is complete rubbish, but he's made two half centuries in the last 3 matches so he's doing a lot better than most of our other 'batsmen'. He defintely shouldn't be anywhere near the one day team though.

Sohel
July 8, 2007, 07:29 AM
Who would you have preferred to have seen them select in their place?

They could hardly drop Bashar from the one-day team when he was captaining us to victory after victory while maintaining an average in the high 20s (in the period between the Sri Lanka series and the World Cup his average was close to 30). They didn't waste too much time in stripping the captaincy off him when it started going downhill either.

I think Golla is complete rubbish, but he's made two half centuries in the last 3 matches so he's doing a lot better than most of our other 'batsmen'. He defintely shouldn't be anywhere near the one day team though.

Talent wise? Instead of Rokon, back then I'd have stuck to Mehrab Hossain Opi after his successful rehab. Shahriar Biddut always had better temperament and technique than Shahriar Rokon and Hannan Sarkar put together. I'd have kept Bulbul, Durjoy and Shanto over Sanwar, Mushfique Babu and Alamgir Kabir without a flinch and for obvious reasons. Needless to say, Richy Mac crowd would've replaced them without too much difficulty. Ashraful, Mashrafee, Alok and Nafees Iqbal would've been the more "experienced" players I'd build the team's future around before Mushy joined them.

I completely agree with you on the Golla issue, but I do give credit for playing out of skin of late. He needs to stay on the wicket, like Rajin does before throwing it away after his 50, to deserve a place in the test team. They both need to rotate the strike in order to become permanent players, as opposed to the incessantly temporary roles they find themselves in as band-aid measures.

I never had a serious issue with HaBa's captaincy and therefore ODI performance until after the World Cup when the likes of Ash and Mash, bolstered by the Richy Mac crowd - a crowd that I among literally millions of other Bangladeshi fans and reporters enthusiastically supported since the U-19 World Cup for inclusion into the senior side months before the tournament - revealed new possibilities and a better future for our cricket despite structural and certain "cultural" limitations. Selectors did not strip him off the Captaincy, phenomenal public pressure supported by the CTG's Advisor for Youth and Sports as is his right. The Old guard, led by the current CEO, was against it. Faruikka and Ata belong to the old guard and the current CEO wants to extend Faruikka's contract believe it or not.

I am more concerened about the "now". When I see HaBa, still compulsively hooking, pulling and poking away after all these years, I cannot think that he has anything more to give. The compulsions and technical flaws that prevented him from converting many more than just 3 of those 22 fifties into hundreds have gotten worse with age. I think many in the NCL, including young guys like Nirala, Omio, Nadif Chaudhury will out-perform him domestic cricket and keeping from coming back into the fold under a professional and transparent as opposed to the current arbitrary and shadowy selection process.

Solution? I think our new coach should be the chief selector and given the directive to develop the transparent system of talent assessment, development and selection we have been denied due to BCB's corruption and utter lack of professionalism barely concealed underneath the flash. We cannot let them hide behind the success of talented young cricketers, a success they haven't done much to set them up for. The ACC (Anti-Corruption Commission) and NSC (National Sports Council) report on BCB, when and if ever published, will reveal all to everyone. Then again they may not in order to protect the future our cricket from those who may use it to undermine it.

Aritro
July 8, 2007, 07:37 AM
I am more concerened about the "now". When I see HaBa, still compulsively hooking, pulling and poking away after all these years, I cannot think that he has anything more to give. The compulsions and technical flaws that prevented him from converting many more than just 3 of those 22 fifties into hundreds have gotten worse with age. I think many in the NCL, including young guys like Nirala, Omio, Nadif Chaudhury will out-perform him domestic cricket and keeping from coming back into the fold under a professional and transparent as opposed to the current arbitrary and shadowy selection process.

I've no doubt that he's past it and will be out of the picture very soon, but I was just pointing out that it would be pretty harsh to drop him right now given that he's only had 4 poor matches.

Similarly, they can hardly drop Golla now given that he's one of our best performed batsmen.

Not sure the selectors can be faulted for keeping either of them in the side a little while.

The way they dropped Sakib for Mehrab, and the way they're about to now drop Mehrab to make way for Tushar, is horrendous selection though. Sakib's got a genuine test match temperment and will adapt soon enough.

Sohel
July 8, 2007, 08:14 AM
I've no doubt that he's past it and will be out of the picture very soon, but I was just pointing out that it would be pretty harsh to drop him right now given that he's only had 4 poor matches.

Similarly, they can hardly drop Golla now given that he's one of our best performed batsmen.

Not sure the selectors can be faulted for keeping either of them in the side a little while.

The way they dropped Sakib for Mehrab, and the way they're about to now drop Mehrab to make way for Tushar, is horrendous selection though. Sakib's got a genuine test match temperment and will adapt soon enough.

Typical stuff from our selectors.

nobody
July 8, 2007, 08:29 AM
I just wondering when Tamim and Mushy was selected this board was gone weird. Why Mushy and Tamim in the team when we have Pilot and Mehrab. But once we tested success the board took a wild swing and almost evryone in a mood I told u so or clever become mute. Nothing change. This is the same selection committe. Can some one tell me how many test and odi cap this selection commitee (Minus Akram Plus Prince) given. They have their failure (Like TI, Dickens, Mehrab; incidently all were performer in national league or FC) but mostly successful (Sakib, Tamim, Mushy, Rasel). I am not talking about test because it took india 50 years to reach adulthood in test (Sardesai article in cricinfo) we are only 10.
The way some of us blaming the selectors is disgraceful (specail mention post 17). Some were talking about Rokon, Biddut, Opi. Talentwise Opi may be even better than Ash. But unfortunately neither Biddut nor Opi have the temper to do the hard works. Like TI, Rokon (one of my fav) have stage fright.
Those who are calling for Selectors head I guess did not live in the age of great Waliur Rahaman. Then you would understand how far Faruq and Co achieve.
Thank You all.

Sohel
July 8, 2007, 08:34 AM
Now we're getting into areas akin to the futile Ershad-Khaleda-Hasina-Khaleda comparisons. We need to expect better and not accept the status quo.

Miraz
July 8, 2007, 08:39 AM
I just wondering when Tamim and Mushy was selected this board was gone weird. Why Mushy and Tamim in the team when we have Pilot and Mehrab. But once we tested success the board took a wild swing and almost evryone in a mood I told u so or clever become mute. Nothing change. This is the same selection committe. Can some one tell me how many test and odi cap this selection commitee (Minus Akram Plus Prince) given. They have their failure (Like TI, Dickens, Mehrab; incidently all were performer in national league or FC) but mostly successful (Sakib, Tamim, Mushy, Rasel). I am not talking about test because it took india 50 years to reach adulthood in test (Sardesai article in cricinfo) we are only 10.
The way some of us blaming the selectors is disgraceful (specail mention post 17). Some were talking about Rokon, Biddut, Opi. Talentwise Opi may be even better than Ash. But unfortunately neither Biddut nor Opi have the temper to do the hard works. Like TI, Rokon (one of my fav) have stage fright.
Those who are calling for Selectors head I guess did not live in the age of great Waliur Rahaman. Then you would understand how far Faruq and Co achieve.
Thank You all.

Good observation. Have to agree with you in most parts.