PDA

View Full Version : A Lesson Never Learned: Biswajit Roy from Colombo

Sohel
July 4, 2007, 09:57 PM
From the Daily Star, link: http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/07/05/d70705040131.htm

"A lesson never learned
Bishwajit Roy from Colombo

The debate was over at the P Sara press box whether Sri Lanka could have wrapped up the match inside two days. Home skipper Mahela Jayawardene however deserved thanks from the Bangladesh team management for not trying something like that and save the Tigers' blushes.

But the Bangladesh batsmen at the end of the second day's play provided the evidence that it would not be a tough job at all for the home team to do the exceptional thing in Test cricket as they lost four wickets in the final hour for 69 runs: one might say that t was much better than the first innings total of 62.

Jayawardene was however more interested to allow his vice-captain Kumar Sangakkara to complete his fifth double hundred before declaring the innings for 451-6 as the classy left-hander looked too determined in the middle to make up for his first Test disappointment.

After the match, the genial Sangakkara tried to get some words through to the Bangladesh batsmen, who only know how to promise for a better performance in future after every debacle.

"I was quite disappointed after the first Test dismissal. I was determined to make a big one in this match. I was not fluent enough in my batting today (Wednesday) but I worked hard to occupy the crease. Spending enough time was my main intention," said the left-hander, who made exactly 200 runs during his eight-hour stay that featured twenty boundaries and two sixes.

"Bangladesh have the talent but they have to know how to occupy the crease for long periods. There is no shortcut in international cricket. You get something only if you work hard. To score a hundred is quite normal in modern cricket," he said.

Sangakkara also said that what happened in Bangladesh second innings was something they expected.

"We are now in the driving seat. We were looking forward to pick up some wickets and we could manage four which is fantastic. Actually we have a very balanced bowling attack," he added.

Pace bowler Shahadat Hossain came to attend the official briefing although the Bangladeshi journalists demanded for Shahriar Nafees, who was the culprit of spoiling a good start in the second innings.

The our-of-form Nafees and, believe it or not, even Javed Omar, who hardly had any reputation as a stroke-maker, countered the Sri Lanka attack but simply forgot that there was a need to check the shots. Nafees went for a wild drive against Chaminda Vaas which only took a thick edge to end in 'keeper Prasanna Jayawardene's gloves.

Then it was a matter of time that Omar (28), Rajin Saleh (0) and debutant Mehrab Hossain (8) followed him to shatter the hopes in the late afternoon.

"What can I say? If we bat throughout the third day, it would be an achievement for us," was the simple reaction of paceman Shahadat.

But he was fired up when asked about his ongoing battle with Jayawardene, which on the day he won by dismissing him.

"Actually he never feels easy against my bowling and that's why he is always complaining against my grunting. I didn't grunt today (Wednesday) but still he was involved in a fight with me. He said something bad and I replied in the same manner. He hurt my ego but at the end, I was the winner," he said.

Shahadat can only claim that he won a small battle otherwise it was all about the story of a million surrenders from the Bangladesh team."

Nocturnal
July 4, 2007, 10:40 PM
The title of this article "A lesson never learned" is the story of BD cricket unfortunately :(