PDA

View Full Version : Habibul Bashar Poll

Tigers_eye
July 5, 2007, 11:30 AM
Habibul Bashar: Currently holding on to the most important position in our batting lineup. He is out of form for some times. Can Bangladesh afford to keep him as liability in the team?

The time has come to question ourselves. Do we, as diehard fans, deserve a service that our former captain is giving us? WC 2007 and beyond, he has not performed in a single game/innings with the bat that made a significant contribution to the team total or purpose. If the answer is "yes", we as fans deserve to witness the same failures time after time, I have nothing further to say.

If 'no' then:

Habibul Bashar has enough experience and opportunities at international level. However, the experience is not helping his cause to get out of trouble. His outs are painful to watch (gift wrapped). I for one want another player at his place (the most important for any team). May be it is time to advance Ash to second down and give whoever Ash's position. Be it Tushar, Shakib or Mehrab Jr. We can even bring back Nafis Iqbal to the top order and get Shahriar Nafees to play in the middle.

The series is dead already. Usually teams experiment different/new players in these type of matches. Voice your opinion.

1) HB is still an automatic choice. Experience out weighs performance. He should play two more years minimum for BD test team.
2) Let him retire against SA at home in February 2008. He would play in NZ tour also. (even though we know he is reluctant to retire from any form of cricket, we give him the opportunity at least that what he deserves)
3) HB plays 3rd test against SL. He deserves that much even on a dead series.
4) HB sits out 3rd test. Back with the team in NZ tour. Needs a break that's all.
5) Sits out 3rd test and NZ series. Plays in the domestic league. Gets a farewell in SA series at home.
6) HB gets dropped from the team for good. No 3rd test even.
7) HB must prove his ability to perform in domestic league before even being considered for the NZ tour. No retirement though.
8) HB retires and open up batting camps for youngsters.
9) Other (please expain)

mali007
July 5, 2007, 11:36 AM
I will go for #5 option.

cricket_dorshok
July 5, 2007, 11:37 AM
T_E, put a poll

Tigers_eye
July 5, 2007, 11:37 AM
I will go for #5 option.
The poll is done. Now you can choose.

Tigers_eye
July 5, 2007, 11:38 AM
T_E, put a poll
Sorry for the delay. The 100 letter count got me.

cricket_dorshok
July 5, 2007, 11:40 AM
T_E
How do you know he will retire (#2, 4, 8)? He will ask his dada and you know what he will do.

Miraz
July 5, 2007, 11:40 AM
I am going for the others. My view is..

He will play in third Test and if he fails, he must prove his ability to perform in domestic league before even being considered for the NZ tour.

Tigers_eye
July 5, 2007, 11:44 AM
T_E
How do you know he will retire (#2, 4, 8)? He will ask his dada and you know what he will do.
Force retirement. :) Ultimatum from the fans, family, friends and selectors. To uphold his legacy and that 30+ average.

Baundule
July 5, 2007, 11:45 AM
He desperately needs a break, before it is too late

Fazal
July 5, 2007, 11:46 AM
He desperately needs a break, before it is too late

I think he needs two breaks... one rear and front....one break is not going to save his fall.

Tigers_eye
July 5, 2007, 11:52 AM
I think he needs two breaks... one rear and front....one break is not going to save his fall.
Anti-lock break? hand break? Or the ones you see in American vans where one has to use their feet? What type of breaks we are talking about?

Off-break? leg-break? I am confused.

Baundule
July 5, 2007, 11:53 AM

ha ha ha, Mamu!:lol:

Tigers_eye
July 5, 2007, 11:58 AM

He will play in third Test and if he fails, he must prove his ability to perform in domestic league before even being considered for the NZ tour.
hmm! looks like #3.

Fazal
July 5, 2007, 12:03 PM

The problem with that is we will be back to the same old square one like before. There is a long break before the next TEST series. Bashar will be again included with the (flawed) logic that its a long time ago that he failed ... he must regained his form back by now ... also past contribution will be brought up.... same ol same ol.... he deserve another chance to prove that he is back.... one TEST... 2nd TEST .... 3rd TEST.... go back to square one for the NEXT series.....

nannu
July 5, 2007, 12:06 PM
amar mone hoy bashar icchccha koira out hoitase, jate team kharap vabe hare. taile she captaincy ferot pabe.

Miraz
July 5, 2007, 12:07 PM
hmm! looks like #3.

Nope! it's not #3.

I am looking at the bigger picture. HB must show his ability in domestic circuit to get selected for NZ. Otherwise, Tushar/Aftab will take his place for good.

WarWolf
July 5, 2007, 12:14 PM
I am sticking with him for atleast 1 more year in test cricket. He still has a lot to offer. Our team needs a good balance of experience and youth.

mali007
July 5, 2007, 12:19 PM
As Tushar is joining the 3rd test, then Bashar should be rested. We don't want Mehrab to be axed to keep OUT OF FORM Bashar. Bashar is really liability for the batting lineup now.

Spitfire_x86
July 5, 2007, 12:28 PM
Too many options. I voted for #3.

I think he should get one last chance in the 3rd test. It is very much likely that he will fail again, and then he should be dropped for good (since he's not going to retire). Unless he performs extremely well in domestic cricket and everyone else keeps failing in the national team, he should not be considered for selection again.

Mahir
July 5, 2007, 12:41 PM
I rather see him drop himself and retire to salvage whatever respect there may be left for him for his immense contribution, especially to our Test cricket before he lost his touch starting with the World Cup. He was the lone performer time in time out, and in that light, I dont want to see him dropped by the selectors per say, rather retire and open up a crucial space in the team lineup.

AsifTheManRahman
July 5, 2007, 12:42 PM
His dip in form is worrisome, however, I wouldn't like to see him out of consideration. He has to perform in the domestic leagues before getting picked for the NZ tour.

As for the third test, I'd rest him, but I don't see who we can play in his place; maybe we could go with a batsman less, or bring back Sakib. I would have liked Tushar Imran to be in the squad.

AsifTheManRahman
July 5, 2007, 12:48 PM
scratch that, just noticed that imran has been flown in.

Zunaid
July 5, 2007, 01:05 PM
Granted, this series and last series he has done horribly, but he had been the most dependable performer in Tests for Bangladesh prior to our one year break. Now the question is this - are the recent results a normal slump and that he will be back to his old ways soon? Or is this the beginning of the end - the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak?

Herein comes the eternal question - how much chances do we give someone before we drop someone? That has also where the selectors have been extremely inconsistent. Some payers were given too many opportunities knowing they need to take a break and hopefully come back all the better for it. Some players were dropped on the back of just one performance.

We should stop playing yo-yo with our players and we should also learn to be a better judge of when "past performances do not indicate future promise".

Let's look at this from a numeric perspective.

In this series so far, Habibul Bashat is #7 on the batting averages.
<table><caption>
Bangladesh batting averages
</caption><thead><tr> <th nowrap="nowrap">Player</th><th nowrap="nowrap">Mat</th><th nowrap="nowrap">Inns</th><th nowrap="nowrap">Runs</th><th nowrap="nowrap">HS</th><th nowrap="nowrap">Ave</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Mohammad Ashraful</td><td nowrap="nowrap">2</td><td nowrap="nowrap">4</td><td nowrap="nowrap">173</td><td nowrap="nowrap">129*</td><td nowrap="nowrap">57.66</td></tr><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Mushfiqur Rahim</td><td nowrap="nowrap">1</td><td nowrap="nowrap">2</td><td nowrap="nowrap">89</td><td nowrap="nowrap">80</td><td nowrap="nowrap">44.50</td></tr><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Javed Omar</td><td nowrap="nowrap">2</td><td nowrap="nowrap">4</td><td nowrap="nowrap">106</td><td nowrap="nowrap">62</td><td nowrap="nowrap">26.50</td></tr><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Rajin Saleh</td><td nowrap="nowrap">2</td><td nowrap="nowrap">4</td><td nowrap="nowrap">75</td><td nowrap="nowrap">51</td><td nowrap="nowrap">18.75</td></tr><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Shahriar Nafees</td><td nowrap="nowrap">2</td><td nowrap="nowrap">4</td><td nowrap="nowrap">73</td><td nowrap="nowrap">38</td><td nowrap="nowrap">18.25</td></tr><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Khaled Mashud</td><td nowrap="nowrap">1</td><td nowrap="nowrap">2</td><td nowrap="nowrap">13</td><td nowrap="nowrap">12*</td><td nowrap="nowrap">13.00</td></tr><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Shakib Al Hasan</td><td nowrap="nowrap">1</td><td nowrap="nowrap">2</td><td nowrap="nowrap">24</td><td nowrap="nowrap">16</td><td nowrap="nowrap">12.00</td></tr><tr> <td align="center" nowrap="nowrap">Habibul Bashar
</td><td nowrap="nowrap">2</td><td nowrap="nowrap">4</td><td nowrap="nowrap">36</td><td nowrap="nowrap">17</td><td nowrap="nowrap">9.00</td></tr><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Mehrab Hossain jnr</td><td nowrap="nowrap">1</td><td nowrap="nowrap">2</td><td nowrap="nowrap">14</td><td nowrap="nowrap">8</td><td nowrap="nowrap">7.00</td></tr><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Mohammad Sharif</td><td nowrap="nowrap">1</td><td nowrap="nowrap">2</td><td nowrap="nowrap">6</td><td nowrap="nowrap">4*</td><td nowrap="nowrap">6.00</td></tr><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Mohammad Rafique</td><td nowrap="nowrap">2</td><td nowrap="nowrap">4</td><td nowrap="nowrap">16</td><td nowrap="nowrap">11</td><td nowrap="nowrap">4.00</td></tr><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Abdur Razzak</td><td nowrap="nowrap">1</td><td nowrap="nowrap">2</td><td nowrap="nowrap">4</td><td nowrap="nowrap">4</td><td nowrap="nowrap">4.00</td></tr><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Mashrafe Mortaza</td><td nowrap="nowrap">2</td><td nowrap="nowrap">4</td><td nowrap="nowrap">10</td><td nowrap="nowrap">9</td><td nowrap="nowrap">2.50</td></tr><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Shahadat Hossain</td><td nowrap="nowrap">2</td><td nowrap="nowrap">4</td><td nowrap="nowrap">5</td><td nowrap="nowrap">2</td><td nowrap="nowrap">1.25</td></tr></tbody></table>
Occupying the same zone as Sakib and Mehrab who were thrown into the lions den (pun intended). Sakib has only played 3 Tests so far while this as Mehrab's debut. Mehrab at least did well with the ball. I am not even considering Khaled Mashud in this mix. That's a whole another story. Movie at 10.

Noe let's look at past performances (Tests only). And I am focusing on the most recent 10 Tests.

Let's look at recent Test performances of three players to help us come to a decision: the old kapitan, the new kapitan, and another player who promised much but has yet to achieve his potential (Shahriar Nafees).

In brief:

Mohammad Ashraful
Overall avg: 25.82
Last 10 avg: 31.77

Habibul Bashar
Overall avg: 32.24
Last 10 avg: 26.55

Shahriar Nafees
Overall avg: 25.7
Last 10 avg: 25.7 (he has only played 10 Test so far).

Not much to help us come to any conclusion is there? Will a detailed look at the series' in question help? Let's try:

<table><thead><tr> <th nowrap="nowrap">Series</th><th nowrap="nowrap">MA Average</th><th nowrap="nowrap">HB Average</th><th nowrap="nowrap">SN Average</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Bangladesh in Sri Lanka, 2005/06</td><td nowrap="nowrap">21.25</td><td nowrap="nowrap">31.75</td><td nowrap="nowrap">18.00</td></tr><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Sri Lanka in Bangladesh, 2005/06</td><td nowrap="nowrap">43.50</td><td nowrap="nowrap">45.75</td><td nowrap="nowrap">20.00</td></tr><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Australia in Bangladesh, 2005/06</td><td nowrap="nowrap">17.00</td><td nowrap="nowrap">35.25</td><td nowrap="nowrap">62.50</td></tr><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">India in Bangladesh, 2007</td><td nowrap="nowrap">24.00</td><td nowrap="nowrap">11.50</td><td nowrap="nowrap">9.75</td></tr><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Bangladesh in Sri Lanka, 2007</td><td nowrap="nowrap">57.66</td><td nowrap="nowrap">9.0</td><td nowrap="nowrap">18.25</td></tr></tbody></table>

I am not sure I am going anywhere with this. MA does not seem to be as inconsistent as we thought. He had a bad series with the Aussies. SN has had ups and downs. HB had been fine until Test resumption after the year long break.

I am not sure I am making a strong case for dropping anyone. If HB goes, then so must SN if we are to use the last two series' as basis for our definition. BUT - only after the series ends and not before the third Test. It sets a bad precedence and we are back to the YO-YO selection policy.

We have a fairly long gap before the Kiwi tour. We should focus on getting the new coach up and running as soon as possible, re-jigger the selection committee, come up with consistent selection policy and ensure we have some solid FC games to judge the players before the trip.

Niceman70
July 5, 2007, 01:07 PM
I am sticking with him for atleast 1 more year in test cricket. He still has a lot to offer. Our team needs a good balance of experience and youth.

then we should also keep khaled mashud?

One World
July 5, 2007, 01:18 PM
Option 7 seemed reasonable enough

sandpiper
July 5, 2007, 01:19 PM
agreed :) :waiting:
Herein comes the eternal question - how much chances do we give someone before we drop someone? That has also where the selectors have been extremely inconsistent. Some payers were given too many opportunities knowing they need to take a break and hopefully come back all the better for it. Some players were dropped on the back of just one performance.

We should stop playing yo-yo with our players and we should also learn to be a better judge of when "past performances do not indicate future promise".

We have a fairly long gap before the Kiwi tour. We should focus on getting the new coach up and running as soon as possible, re-jigger the selection committee, come up with consistent selection policy and ensure we have some solid FC games to judge the players before the trip.

mali007
July 5, 2007, 01:23 PM
I agree with you.

WarWolf
July 5, 2007, 01:24 PM
No. Because for being a good keeper experience and age are not that much important. KM was never as good in batting as Bashar. No comparison is applicable here.

We, the fans have a tendency of seeking new bloods whenever someone suffers from bad form. In the end, it doesn't work.

Bashar is only 34 years old which is not old for being a good batsman. Jayasuryia, Ponting, Sachin etc are good example of good batsmen at this age.

Rubu
July 5, 2007, 01:47 PM
(other) explanation: give him 1/2 more tests. If he performs, keep him, if he does not perform, let him come back by outperforming others in domestic league.

rafiq
July 5, 2007, 01:58 PM
the sheer number of options here, and the overlapping nature of some of the selections, renders this poll somewhat ineffective. This is a serious subject (as serious as cricket can get, come on), it deserves a serious poll.

left-hander
July 5, 2007, 02:06 PM
Nope! it's not #3.

I am looking at the bigger picture. HB must show his ability in domestic circuit to get selected for NZ. Otherwise, Tushar/Aftab will take his place for good.

I think he should be left out of the team altogether and given a chance to retire at home. Domestic Circuit is too easy for a batsman like HB - he will score runs there and fail again at the top level.

We should just try a new player -- maybe Shakib can come in instead of him and Ashraful can bat at number 3.

Nocturnal
July 5, 2007, 02:14 PM
HB sits out 3rd test. Back with the team in NZ tour IFF he performs in domestic cricket. He Needs a break for sure.

rafiq
July 5, 2007, 02:17 PM
I am surprised by the number of arguments that seem to be based on where and how Bashar should retire. Some scenarios have him sitting on a shelf until 08, and then brought back ceremoniously so he can retire at home....ridiculous! You don't pick teams based on retirement scenarios, at least I hope the selectors don't get pithy emotions mixed up in the selection process.

It's way too early to dump all the senior players from the Test squad, as bad as their current form is. Guys like Saquib, Mehrab Jr need way more FC games under their belt before we thrown out Bashar, Pilot, JO, Rafique. I think they can be dropped for a game, given a break (worked for Ashraful), but there's no magic waiting in the wings. Mushfiq has been in and around the national team for 2 years beginning with his debut at Lords. It's not a surprise that he can come in and perform. Rather than the knee jerk reactions, we should have a longer term plan to pour money and resources into improving FC domestic cricket and giving national players more playing opportunities than they currently have.

Ahsan
July 5, 2007, 02:20 PM
Please do not do this poll for Bashar. If the poll result goes against him, he will then say it is BC's poll that made him play under pressure.

zahid
July 5, 2007, 02:48 PM
WarWolf is really dumb for choosing Option 1 ! LOL

For Habla : Mora morai thakey .. jibito hoy na.

scorpion32
July 5, 2007, 03:07 PM

Agree

Tigers_eye
July 5, 2007, 03:08 PM
Zunaid bhai,
A simple graph can shed a better light. HB 35 - 11 - 9. This is a downward curve. NZ series would yield 7 average or less. Whereas, SN is 62 - 9 - 18. a dip and upward. :) May be a 36 average?? ;)

How can one justify HB inclusion with the numbers like 0, 37, 4, 5, 2, 17, 5, 12. 62.5% single digit scores. Only crossed his average once. He is having the worst form of his life no doubt. Then why we are letting him play test cricket to regain his form? Unless we are thinking like spitfire (which I think is a briilant idea since our selectors are blind and deaf) there is no reason for him to be in BD squad with this form.

Finally in a dead series, one tries out all the new combinations and such. Hense I could not wait till the end of the series. If this was a two test series just think where his stats would be standing. back to back series and barely crossed double digit average.
One can not just drop Mehrab Jr. after giving him the only chance. Sakib deserves more chances. In comes Tushar. I like to assult Faroque for creating this mess.

Tigers_eye
July 5, 2007, 03:28 PM
I am surprised by the number of arguments that seem to be based on where and how Bashar should retire. Some scenarios have him sitting on a shelf until 08, and then brought back ceremoniously so he can retire at home....ridiculous! You don't pick teams based on retirement scenarios, at least I hope the selectors don't get pithy emotions mixed up in the selection process.

It's way too early to dump all the senior players from the Test squad, as bad as their current form is. Guys like Saquib, Mehrab Jr need way more FC games under their belt before we thrown out Bashar, Pilot, JO, Rafique. I think they can be dropped for a game, given a break (worked for Ashraful), but there's no magic waiting in the wings. Mushfiq has been in and around the national team for 2 years beginning with his debut at Lords. It's not a surprise that he can come in and perform. Rather than the knee jerk reactions, we should have a longer term plan to pour money and resources into improving FC domestic cricket and giving national players more playing opportunities than they currently have.
Rafiq bhai,
1) I tried to make all the scenarios that can happen. Hense so many scenarios. And rightly so the votes are varying. Otherwise, I would have short changed people's voice.
2) The ceremonious retirement came in to play because he was our best. Under his leadership we have achieved the best results. No one can deny that. May be it seems rediculous to you, but you must think of our think-tank on how they operate. Not long ago they included HB in the Indian ODI series for the same purpose. I am sure you were aware of that.
3) I had no intention to discuss about Pilot, JO or Rafique's future in this thread. There are other threads those are having a heated debate on them.
4) Sakib, Mehrab need more FC there is no doubt. I am with you here. That don't change the fact that Bashar needs to be either dropped, or sit out for some time. His form is just not for international cricket.
5) This is no knee-jerk reaction by me. I prefer performance over experience. There is no way a national team can have a second down batsman with averaging 10.3 per innings.
6) Test cricket is not for out of form batsman. They simply get dropped. That is my message. I just wanted to know what others thought.

Thank you.

akabir77
July 5, 2007, 04:24 PM
I will vote for this option but its not there

Drop HB for 3 rd test and let him play domestic League if can prove his worth their when ever yes bring him back. else good bye this was his last test match...

mali007
July 5, 2007, 06:44 PM
No. Because for being a good keeper experience and age are not that much important. KM was never as good in batting as Bashar. No comparison is applicable here.

We, the fans have a tendency of seeking new bloods whenever someone suffers from bad form. In the end, it doesn't work.

Bashar is only 34 years old which is not old for being a good batsman. Jayasuryia, Ponting, Sachin etc are good example of good batsmen at this age.
If we can give rest to Ashraful our best batsman than why not Bashar.

BD Tigers
July 5, 2007, 07:05 PM
Bashar will play the 3rd test cause there is nobody out there who can replace him. period. Sakib/Mehrab are just fish out of water. He is one score away from getting his form/confidence back. Since there is a long gap after this test to the next, he can regain his form back in the domestic cricket and come back for NZ series.

Thank God that they are now flying Tusher in. Well he's not going to be savior but at least he has some exp by playing a lot of 1st class and A teams.

Rabz
July 5, 2007, 07:19 PM
According to Prothom Alo, Bashar will play in the third test.
Even though Tushar is being flown to SL, he is only there to boost the batting order and most likely to replace Sharif.

Bashar or no Bashar, what id like to see the most is a re-shuffle of the batting order. HB needs to come down the order at 5 or 6 and Ash needs to bat at 3.

MohammedC
July 5, 2007, 07:32 PM
I have voted for #7 but I think he should retire from test cricket. He must now realise it is the end for him. he should continue playing in the domestic leaue for 2 or 3 years.

rafiq
July 5, 2007, 10:15 PM
Tigers_eye, we are in agreement that test cricket is not for out of form batsmen....it's also not the place for players to get FC experience. Too often the selectors are drafting players with no experience whatsoever. So I just don't see any of the possible replacements - from the youngsters to the Kapalis and Tushars - coming in and solving the problem. But hopefully someone can provide immediate relief for the woefuly out of place Bashar. One option - if they don't drop him for the 3rd test - is to at least change his batting order. Ashraful should be batting at least at 4 if not 3 - Bashar needs to finally get out of the way and drop down the order.

Nafis_BD
July 5, 2007, 10:15 PM
I chose "HB must prove his ability to perform in domestic league before the NZ tour." I think that it's really time for HB to retire but since he doesn't wan't to retire and since he wan't to come back like Ganguly then let him get dropped and play in the domestic level and even after that if he doesn't gain his form back then he should be aware that this is really the time for him to retire!!

Spitfire_x86
July 6, 2007, 12:21 AM
One option - if they don't drop him for the 3rd test - is to at least change his batting order. Ashraful should be batting at least at 4 if not 3 - Bashar needs to finally get out of the way and drop down the order.
Dropping down the order isn't a solution. The way he is playing nowadays, he won't be able to buy a run even if he bats at #8. Actually here's no place for him in the team unless he can bat at #3. We're making Rajin bat at #3 (even though he's not really suited for #3 position) because either Bashar is not confident enough to bat at #3 or the team management doesn't have enough confidence in him to play him at #3.

Kabir
July 6, 2007, 12:26 AM
We're making Rajin bat at #3 (even though he's not really suited for #3 position) because either Bashar is not confident enough to bat at #3 or the team management doesn't have enough confidence in him to play him at #3.

It's the latter one of course. Although, I do see Rajin as a good choice for #3.

Tigers_eye
July 6, 2007, 08:41 AM
Again bashar staying in the line up can be made as:

Everyone wishing a u-turn from his current form. How do you see it? What has changed since the first two test? His attitude of playing strokes? He comes in and tries to hit a four. Next ball out. How can one justify a batsman being included who is averaging 10. Only pure bowlers can have that. Not for a batsman at #3 or at #6.

For getting FC experience in the test that is a no-no. However, our beloved selectors had gone that way with no vision. If you give someone a chance you have to stick with him for few consecutive matches. Sakib's inclusion in the test arena was a bad decision to begin with. But once he was in no logic can justify his exclusion after just 1st test of the series. And his innings wasn't that bad to get dropped. Shojon priti to SN at the WC time and again cost us big time. Shojon Priti to bashar has been our down fall right after the WC. With Ash on helm we don't lose the 1st ODI against India. Scenario of the whole series changes. These selectors don't have any transparent selection policy. Now bringing in Tushar for Sharif is another bad move. The team would lose a bowler. Why not just drop the out of form dead wood? How hard it is to do that?

Sorry to disclose the reality:

NZ tour starts on middle of Dec 2007. Two week camp before that takes the Dec out of the equation. Our NCL league starts on November. Who knows when after restructuring. Even if we think it would start on beginning of November then the players can play four weeks. How many games would they have to showcase their form? Max 4. I am sure HB would sit out couple of games just to get a free ride to NZ. Those of you who are hoping that he would have to prove in domestic league, would fooled once again either by the current selectors or the new ones (whoever they may be).

shamster
July 6, 2007, 08:46 AM
Plays down the order may be number 6, and he needs to prove him self. The truth is we dont have quality to replace him and it would be foolish to get rid of him. But his out of form so we need to give the batters a chance at the top and let him play at the bottom and work his way up again which I am sure he will.

sadat_04
July 6, 2007, 08:51 AM
we r going to go into a test against SL with just 2 real bowlers..Mash/Rajib...In Kandy Rafique will not be successfull....if we r going with 3 bowlers...should be mash/rajib/rasel...
Bashar should be dropped period...enough with this bs..how many chances does he get ?
tushar imaran should replace bashar and Rasel should replace sharif ( anyone watched his bowling/batting...did not look good at all)...I know people will not like the idea but rafiq should be rested given the Kandy pitch...and we should include both mehrab & shakib...

Tokyobreeze
July 6, 2007, 09:27 AM
Seeing the way HaBa bats these days, I don't think he would be coming back in form like old days. If HaBa thinks he wanna go with honour, he should consider retiring by himself asap before it's too late, if not already.

On a serious note, HaBa shouldn't be an exception. He should play League and should only get chance based on his and others' performance there.

green_cat
July 6, 2007, 10:43 AM
we dont have a replacement of him in tests. if we can stick with SN why cant we stick with HB? in Tests age isnt a factor. experience is a factor. Enam Jr of Sakib must prove themselves in FC matches. only then they can replace HB. He should play for next 2 years. He will absolutely get back his form back. He needs time, lets give him.

farhan996
July 6, 2007, 11:29 AM
If Basher stays in the team because what he has done for BD cricket , then why can't we keep K. Mashud in BD Team? Don't you think this is a double standard in our team ?

"LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD"

al Furqaan
July 6, 2007, 12:00 PM
OK time for me to opine:

though i voted for bashar to regain form and get his chance in NZ tour, i highly doubt that will be/should be the answer. lets look at the simple facts, bashar has been out of form for over 15 matches: 9 WC matches, 5 against India and now 2 against SL. that is 15 consecutive failures, 19 actual innings; even ashraful or alok didn't fail that many times in one go. could it be that bashar is done?

i think so. he is older than we think and he is losing his ability to hit the ball. many people speak of experience and how we need it with such a young side.

what experience does bashar have? he has been in the team since 1995, the pre test era. bashar has more experience than any of our core players at LOSING matches. this is not his fault, but our younger players have a lot more experience at winning matches than does bashar. age level, A team, and national team. bashar was never a responsible batsman, could always get out playing lame pull shots. so his advice is worth 10 times less than an 18 year old rookie named mushfiqur rahim. his captaincy proved his pre-Test ideology of "we're just happy to be on the same field". he can't help ashraful (or whoever is captain) one bit in that regard. ashraful already knows more about captaincy than bashar. its a mindset issue. bashar began his career at a time when bangladesh were still competing in ACC tourneys. how can such a player lend experience to a test team? experience is not about age or number of matches played, although those are factors to be considered. experience of the kind we need, is more about a positive mindset, possessing the necessary skillset to succeed. on these criteria, bashar does not fare to well.

its time for bashar, pilot, and to a lesser degree JO to join chacha in retirement. they can still continue to work for for the team in some capacity.

as per JO and rafique:

JO is actually not playing bad, no worse than his early days. so unlike bashar and pilot there is no need to drop JO, or for him to retire, unless a obviously superior replacement is found out. currently there is none.

rafique, i am afraid, is also done. i'm 80% sure of that. 100% sure about bashar and pilot, but that 20% of doubt about rafique means that rafique should continue to play tests at least through the NZ tour. we have to remember the wickets are flat, SL is good against spin, and we are playing tests after such a long time, so lets give rafique the benefit of the doubt.

Omio
July 6, 2007, 12:03 PM
If Basher stays in the team because what he has done for BD cricket , then why can't we keep K. Mashud in BD Team? Don't you think this is a double standard in our team ?

"LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD"
U just join and start critisizing. :)
anyway wellcome to bc,

cricket_dorshok
July 6, 2007, 12:08 PM
you could better write your frustration in the Habibul Bashar poll thread.
Welcome to BC.

Sadz
July 6, 2007, 12:56 PM
Well for some time now I have been worried about Bashar's poor form but after waiting for such a long time there has to be an outcome.But this time its only been worse. For starters would any team afford to drop their former captain? Well I think that is part of the decision to possibly drop him I would say. For example; David Beckham was England captain for a long time(like habla) but unfortunately he got stripped off the captaincy(this time habla stepped down). Consequently he got dropped off the team. The same thing could happen to
Habibul Bashar. but as you all know if theres a will theres a way. What I mean is he could earn back his place like David Beckham and that way is the best way. I would be very very upset to see him dropped but if he was captain I would have given him a chance, if he was a good bowler I would have given him a chance, if he was batting like he used to I would have given him a chance, but no he is doing none of them unfortunately. For the interest of the national team I would drop him and very good display from him in practice sessions, Domestic cricket etc could only earn him back a place. I think that is the only and best way to sort this out. But I dont want to drop him right now as it is harsh on him. The least we can do though is give him another chance in the third test as we have lost the series anyway. That way we can see if he is up to the task or not.

WarWolf
July 6, 2007, 01:00 PM
There are a few no. of threads regarding Bashar. Why another thread?

Ahmed_B
July 6, 2007, 01:01 PM
And you could not post this in the already ongoing thread about Bashar? (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=22665)

Sadz
July 6, 2007, 01:01 PM
This one is more serious for me because the others are not saying it in much depth.

reverse_swing
July 6, 2007, 01:02 PM
All Bashar threads are merged here.

Sovik
July 6, 2007, 02:38 PM
he is not doing well and he should prove his worth. and we should not give anyone a chance to play a farewell match. if he deserves to be in the team he should be in the team

sadat_04
July 6, 2007, 03:01 PM
I don't get it, some don't want to drop him because its harsh on Bashar? our country's pride is at stake and we have to worry about a single individual? its beyond me....BC is not just another sporting team like Barcelona, chicago bulls..its a national team..its a matter of pride when we lose like that and we want to keep trying out of form players...some are even saying..give him a retirement game even if he fails in the 3rd test...what is up with theis mercy Fu@# business....I won't be surprised if he scores 30/40/50 in the last test...15 innings in a row and 1 30/40 will probably keep him in the test side...how pathetic...
I was reading his comments today in dailystar...he says that he is confused about which shots to play and whethere to follow his natural instincts...he is not getting out playing hooks anymore...watch the games...you will see...
we just can't afford to waste 15 innings on such a player...he is 37 if not more...you can test out someone young for that many innings and he can probably serve for a long time..bashar will be done within 1/2 years in any case...why waste our time...he has done enough for us...graceful exit is just something we bangali people lack i guess...

MohammedC
July 6, 2007, 03:47 PM
The Daily Star (http://thedailystar.net/2007/07/07/d70707040136.htm)

"Yes, I tried to change my natural game which meant that I avoided my favourite pull and hook shots in the initial stages. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked. I have gone through such a long bad patch in my career. I am confused whether to play my natural game or not because I have been successful with my natural batting," said Bashar, who has three hundreds and 22 half-centuries under his belt.

If I he is confused he knows about he should leave the team for the sake of Bangladesh.

Sillypoint
July 6, 2007, 04:07 PM
The Daily Star (http://thedailystar.net/2007/07/07/d70707040136.htm)

If I he is confused he knows about he should leave the team for the sake of Bangladesh.

He also went on to say that: "I have to bat more like Mushfiqur and Ashraful"....when this happens, i.e. you try to follow younger kids, you better quit and give the younger generation a chance.

al Furqaan
July 6, 2007, 07:52 PM
He also went on to say that: "I have to bat more like Mushfiqur and Ashraful"....when this happens, i.e. you try to follow younger kids, you better quit and give the younger generation a chance.

if he didnt bat like them when he was 12, 22, or 32, why does he believe he can suddenly turn that on now?

perhaps i should just push the "dunk like lebron james" button and start my $100 million a year pro basketball career. honestly, this bloke sometimes says some ridiculously idiotic things.

kaisermatin
July 6, 2007, 08:03 PM
what about nafees? bashar was pillar during the growth years. give him some time.

Sohel
July 8, 2007, 06:43 AM

Agree 100%.

That said, with the compulsion to hook and pull still intact, the compulsion that had denied him close to fifteen more 100s, I think he'll fail in the third test. The comparatively more revamped NCL will give him stiffer competition against younger and more talented players before being considered by more systematic and less arbitrary selectors through a transparent process. I don't think he'll make it.

BanglaSele
July 8, 2007, 07:49 AM
I think Bangladesh would be a great team with the old burra Hab (Habibul Bashar)

WarWolf
July 11, 2007, 03:51 AM
Bashar is really running out of luck. The ball which got him out was the best delivery of the day so far. All the credit goes to the wet conditions. Jayawardane is really a lucky captain.

Dhruvo
July 11, 2007, 03:54 AM
he isnt so good these days and basher akhon burra hoye geche so he should retire.he is a good player but he just isnt in the form these days.

bangla44
August 3, 2007, 06:14 PM
does anyone think that habibul bashar's international career is over? i think he should be in the test team but not in the one day team

ammark
August 3, 2007, 06:38 PM
as myself: thanks for your opinion on this very well-discussed topic. Perhaps you will find your answers in those previous discussions. This forum does provide sufficient tools to help you in your quest to find such answers. :)

Puck
August 3, 2007, 06:53 PM
is bashar likely to improve at his age?

bangla44
August 3, 2007, 07:01 PM
well ganguly was dropped and i here he is palying well in england at the momoent and is ganguly 32 and bashar is 33 or 34 isnt he?

Puck
August 3, 2007, 07:05 PM
ganguli is in a different league compared to bashar..

adel
August 4, 2007, 07:21 AM
The day the 'BASH-MAN' retires it will be a sad day for Bangladesh cricket. He was without a doubt one of the pioneers in terms of bringing Bangldesh to an international stage. He orchestrated many great victories with his captaincy and saved us from humiliation with his solid batting. And with that, I say thank you Habibul Bashar.

Sovik
August 4, 2007, 07:32 AM
The day the 'BASH-MAN' retires it will be a sad day for Bangladesh cricket. He was without a doubt one of the pioneers in terms of bringing Bangldesh to an international stage. He orchestrated many great victories with his captaincy and saved us from humiliation with his solid batting. And with that, I say thank you Habibul Bashar.

everybody likes bashar and he was one of the best batsman of bangladesh but at some point he will have to call it a day and he should do that with dignity

crikss
August 4, 2007, 09:54 AM
i will go for last option...cause i have no idea about Bashar with his recent form

Sohel
August 4, 2007, 10:07 AM
ganguli is in a different league compared to bashar..

I'd say different planet, class and everything in between ...

Dhruvo
August 4, 2007, 10:33 AM
I'd say different planet, class and everything in between ...
basher is much better than ganguly in terms of manners.

One World
August 4, 2007, 12:23 PM
I have a gut feeling that we are seriously going to need someone to represent BD in the commentrary booth to follow on Athar and HB might have a good prospect if he works on his English, wont let him perish or get spanked like Manjrekar, Fernando etc. does.

jahidus200
August 4, 2007, 12:38 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

Sohel
August 4, 2007, 08:33 PM
basher is much better than ganguly in terms of manners.

Is he now? I'm glad you think so...

Dhruvo
August 30, 2007, 10:44 AM
Bashar urges BCB to arrange more cricket

Cricinfo staff

August 15, 2007

Habibul Bashar is going through an extended break © AFP

Former captain Habibul Bashar has urged the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) to arrange cricket for players not involved in next month's Twenty20 World Championship. With Bangladesh's tour of New Zealand not until December, and with no domestic competition currently on, there is growing concern that the absence from action may affect fitness levels.

"For the first time in my career I have been enjoying such a long break from cricket. But in the end it would not be good for us," Bashar told The Daily Star. "Most of the players who are now out of the national camp are eagerly waiting to return. I think it would be nice for us if the board arranged a programme next month."

Only nine of the contracted 21 players are participating in training sessions for the Twenty20 World Championship. Several players have been active in commando training at the warfare wing of the Bangladesh Army's School of Infantry and Tactics in Sylhet, which includes running, rappelling, sliding and swimming. Next on the agenda is team practice in Dhaka.

Gazi Ashraf Hossain, the new chairman of the BCB's cricket operations committee, said he was aware of the fitness issue but was faced with a shortage of coaching staff. "I do agree that this contracted players desperately need some programme to keep in touch with cricket. Fitness is a big issue," he said. "Personally I am very keen to arrange a batting programme for them as you know it's a real headache in the longer-version competition.

"I will definitely try to arrange something for them in the next month but the problem is that we do not have enough coaching staff in our hand right at the moment. There is no national team coach and that's why we have to depend on our development manager and we also lack coaches in other sectors."

Hossain said he would discuss the matter with interim coach Shaun Williams.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/story/307015.html

Puck
August 30, 2007, 07:06 PM
he should play on for another six years and get to 5000 test runs.

rumØrS
August 30, 2007, 08:53 PM
# 7 teach young stars
cuz his dayz r over ..so help out the young stars ...that will b big help

jahidus200
August 31, 2007, 02:38 AM
i think he should play two more years test for bangladesh team. because i think he can still play good innings aginst newzealand or any big teams. he play test matches in different kind of mode but other bangladesh player doesnt have that.

Sohel
August 31, 2007, 03:28 AM
Achcha, ei thread-ta ebarer moto chherhe dile kon mohabharot aushuddho hobe? HaBa-ke apatauto ektu shanti dile hoyna?