PDA

View Full Version : Review of the test match and improvements

Sadz
July 5, 2007, 04:23 PM
Okay so we lost by an innings in both Test matches so far but its not the end of the world.
In the first test we lost to an innings and 234 runs, in the second it was similar because sri lanka declared earlier but we also got out very very early. Overall our second innings was hard-fought in both tests actually but what were my expectations for second test and how did they go? Well I cant remember the full list but I'll point down a few good things instead;
1.Ash got his deserved century as I wanted
2. Mushfique proved his critics wrong by his batting display
3. We improved in second innings much further
4.Highest runs partnership in Bangladesh test history
5.We tried out new players for the future
6. We done well without a new manager(full term)
7.Sri lanka usually thrash teams by innings at home anyway
8. Sr Lanka got best bowling attack possibly in the world so it will be very difficult
9. Rajib has got 4 wickets in an innings
EXPECTATIONS FOR NEXT TEST;(realistic)
1.4 players at least to get half centuries in 2 innings
2.1 player to get century
3.Longer time at the crease for everyone
4.No batting collapse(max.3)
5.More wickets
6.lower order to bat well
7.score over 200 in first innings at least(isnt that difficult)
8.Strong attitude of players
9.Good team spirit
I havent named any individual expectations because I do not like giving them too much pressure but anyways hope the selectors get it right this time, they need to anyway!

sandpiper
July 5, 2007, 04:26 PM

:floor:

Sadz
July 5, 2007, 04:39 PM
lol

sandpiper
July 5, 2007, 05:05 PM
nice observations, bro :)
we scored 343 (89+254)runs in the first test and 361 (62+299)runs in the next.
we are improving, arnt we ?

just wait and see.

Baundule
July 5, 2007, 05:23 PM
Very good post. You should send it to the BD management as soon as possible. This will certainly enhance their morale.

anyway, banorer toilakto basher golpo mone porlo. 2 meter neme tarpor 1 meter uthle take improvement bola jay obossoi.

DJ Sahastra
July 5, 2007, 05:39 PM
My only realistic hope & expectations are:

1. No more innings defeat. I mean NO MORE.
2. Match should go into day-5.

I don't care who scores half-century, full century, double century etc. The above two goals are the MINIMUM and team should eb warned of GonoDholai and Lathi Maara, if they fail in above two.

I rest my case.

Kabir
July 5, 2007, 05:46 PM
4.Highest runs partnership in Bangladesh test history

I'm not being a jack-a$$ and pointint out the failures, but even partnerships that are half the runs as this are considered as good partnerships. And the basic problem is, in our case, they come by very rarely. Once a wicket falls, we have to get ready for the next wicket to fall. Our batsmen lack the attitude...the determination to play a well formed and determined innings. Thankfully, we're seeing a matured version of Ashraful, coz he is serious about keeping his job. That's why, in both the Tests, when there was nothing else left to do, he tried his best to hold the inninsg together. Otherwise, the players gave it away in most cases. In case of Mushfiq, he just proved his mental toughness and that his maturity level in staying determined beats even the likes of Rajin and Bashar.

Rajib's doing well...and if there's one guy who I have no complaints about in this series, it's Rajib. He even showed his batting abilities to some extent.

EXPECTATIONS FOR NEXT TEST;(realistic)
1.4 players at least to get half centuries in 2 innings
2.1 player to get century
3.Longer time at the crease for everyone
5.More wickets
6.lower order to bat well
7.score over 200 in first innings at least(isnt that difficult)
8.Strong attitude of players
9.Good team spirit
I havent named any individual expectations because I do not like giving them too much pressure but anyways hope the selectors get it right this time, they need to anyway!

All these are possible, but under certain circumstances. I see that there's a positive change in the attitude of a couple of players. Namely, Ashraful and Shahadat. Under pressure, they're playing tremendously. Add to this Mushfiq.

Batting collapse can only be stopped when our batsmen give up the temptation to play rusty shots on every delivery...until they can control their bat and more importantly their brain, collapse is inevitable.

Asking for a score of 200 in the innings in itself is a loser mentality (no offence to you)...and as a Test playing team, expectation should be much higher than that. Plus, as I've complained in most cases, the runs ought to be mentioned with the number of overs, just to give it a qualitative meaning.

In the long run, each Test match innings should have a century, and one/more half centuries. Otherwise, it's still not so professional.

Sillypoint
July 5, 2007, 06:05 PM
Improvement? We were more efficient in getting the innings defeat from 3+ days in first Test to less than 3 days (by 17 overs) in the second.

Sadz
July 6, 2007, 12:42 PM
Rajib's doing well...and if there's one guy who I have no complaints about in this series, it's Rajib. He even showed his batting abilities to some extent.

Please please please do not make me laugh. He was possibly our worst batsmen because he scored single figure. Batting abilities to some extent eh? Well you could be saying that for India series but not for sri lanka series? your having a laugh.

Fazal
July 6, 2007, 02:14 PM
nice observations, bro :)
we scored 343 (89+254)runs in the first test and 361 (62+299)runs in the next.
we are improving, arnt we ?

just wait and see.

ya lets wait and see if we meet or beat the projection

--------------------1st TEST-------2nd TEST-----3rd TEST
(1st Innings)---------89--------------62-------------35 (projected)
(2nd Innings)-------254------------299------------344 (projected)
(total)--------------343-------------361------------379 (projected)
(days played)---------3 days--------3 days--------3 days (projected)
(Innings defeat)----YES-------------YES------------YES(projected)

Tigers_eye
July 6, 2007, 02:29 PM
...Well I cant remember the full list but I'll point down a few good things instead;

And which innings that would be? Are you old enough to understand the difference between innings and series?

Ahmed_B
July 6, 2007, 02:30 PM
(total)--------------343-------------361------------379 (projected)(
At this rate... BD is just about 21 Tests away from their next win.. considering that about 750 (400+350)runs are necessary to win a Test! Not bad!! ;)

sandpiper
July 6, 2007, 02:33 PM
you made a dreadful extrapolation :wow: :wow: >:)
but dont worry, Chaminda Vaas is not taking part at Kandy :smug:

AsifTheManRahman
July 6, 2007, 03:33 PM
At this rate... BD is just about 21 Tests away from their next win.. considering that about 750 (400+350)runs are necessary to win a Test! Not bad!! ;)

actually, calculations get reset at the beginning of every series ;)

Ahmed_B
July 6, 2007, 04:01 PM
reminds me of the math-problem: [বাংলা]"একটি বাঁদর তৈলাক্ত বাঁশ বেয়ে তিন ঘন্টায় সাত ফুট..."[/বাংলা]:waiting:

Kabir
July 6, 2007, 04:20 PM

Yea, that's when we get to hear all those "oh we were away from Test all these days" kind of arguments.

nasimul
July 6, 2007, 05:42 PM
3. We improved in second innings much further

There are only two big partnerships in last 2 tests (in 2nd inngings) and that made the difference. We atleast need 2 big partnership/innings not just 1/match.

One World
July 6, 2007, 05:45 PM
The morale of the players are the morale similar to the millions, ekti chomok dekhie jite nebo shobar redoy doesnt matter if I really care about my profession or not.

Nafi
July 6, 2007, 06:15 PM

We played 4 days on the 1st test

Fazal
July 6, 2007, 07:21 PM
We played 4 days on the 1st test

Oh no... in 3rd TEST it will end in 2nd day then.

Buddhika_s
July 6, 2007, 07:45 PM
haha everything looks good except for #7, and #8 are more like excuses.

wonder how the pitch will be in kandy...... (btw my hometown... yay....) lol

Tintin
July 6, 2007, 09:45 PM

Sri Lanka made 577/6 in the first Test and 451/6 in the second. So they should make only 325/6 decl and 199/6 decl in this Test. If SL bats first, Bangladesh will lose by only 145 runs. If Tushar Imran hits a century, we may actually win.

Haradhon
July 6, 2007, 11:19 PM
Here is the outcome of 2nd test: Ash justifies his captaincy, Rajib is maturing as a bowler, Mushfiq and Rajin have test temperament.
Here is something for SN lovers to ponder: I have not seen much footwork from him. Although he sees the ball better, I think openers should have sound techniques. Javed Omer al least moves his body and foot.
Some BD batters need to play more front foot in the beginning of their innings