PDA

View Full Version : Collapse in Numbers

roaring tigerz
July 6, 2007, 01:44 AM
The only constant in our batting during the last two test matches has been the monotonous regularity of batting collapses. A quick look at the numbers illustrates the extent of the domino effect suffered by our batsmen.
1st Test

1st Innings: 10 wickets for 61 runs
2nd Innings: last 7 wickets for 27 runs

2nd Test

1st Innings: 10 wickets for 62 runs
2nd innings: first 5 wickets for 30 runs and again last 5 wickets for 30 runs

Its true that statistics often dont tell the entire story. But in this case, I feel that the pathetic figures quite efficiently sum up our batting woes. If we really want to take away something from this debacle, we must evaluate the real reasons why this is happening time and time again. Is the problem psychological or is it simply due to lack of skill?

sandpiper
July 6, 2007, 02:02 AM
Problem is psychological, its all a mind game.

Baundule
July 6, 2007, 03:01 AM
good dig, rt.

mali007
July 6, 2007, 07:17 AM
Problem is batting order. If a poor performer like Bashar bat in a vital position ( #4) and
Nafees in the opening position , than this type of debacle obvious!!

SS
July 6, 2007, 07:25 AM
Agree our batting line up could be the reason, but what major difference it will make even you put Bashar in #6 or Nafees in #6. It will be almost same, I believe besides psychological reason, our batsmen lack the technique, cricketing knowledge, temperment of playing or even judging good or bad balls. Also they are not even prepared for longer version, most of them don't even play first class matches that much. They just do half hour to one hour net practice. If they only do net practice, and don't even practice taking singles or doubles, how they will learn to take them in real match. They rely upon stroke play, on the other hand our tailenders recently not contributing at all as most of them are bowlers and do little net practice for their batting. 03-04 era we had few bowlers who were mediocore batters, but now its different because both Rafique, Mash and others are not scoring frequently. I read in cricinfo that previous innings Mash became one of the member of most ducks in test where Walsh is leading the ranking.

al Furqaan
July 6, 2007, 09:28 AM
well SL has one of the best and most versitile bowling attacks out there...there really isn't much our tail can against them. our tail scored more runs than top order against india, but this is not the case against SL. so i accept that more often than not, last 4-5 wickets will fall for no more than 30 runs. which means the pressure is on the top order to produce runs.

Rifat
July 8, 2007, 11:56 PM
i can still sense it... Bangladesh will inshallah play competitive cricket in 3rd test

Kabir
July 9, 2007, 12:50 AM
I don't want to be negative, but I see any difference in the last Test. There's only a miracle that can save the third Test, even before it started.

WarWolf
July 9, 2007, 01:08 AM
I don't want to be negative, but I see any difference in the last Test. There's only a miracle that can save the third Test, even before it started.
Waiting for a pre-planned miracle here.:-p

Sohel
July 9, 2007, 05:05 AM
i can still sense it... Bangladesh will inshallah play competitive cricket in 3rd test

Right on.