PDA

View Full Version : Don't Listen to Mahela keep Ash @ 5/6

cricman
July 6, 2007, 01:16 PM
Mahela was implying that the partnership meant nothing since Ash and Mushi were batting so low and the result was a forgone conclusion. Thats pure []! A 191 partnership is a 191 partnership dead match or not and a Test Century is still a Test Century. I'd love to see Ash bat higher but if he isn't comfortable batting 3 or 4 he should stay at 5 or 6.

All of his Test Centuries have come in at the 5 and 6 positions and his numbers aren't so good at 3 and 4, where as he's average inconsistent Ash at 5 and really really good Ash at 6.

Ash at 6
Mat I NO Runs HS1 HS2 HS3 Ave 100 50 0

unfiltered 37 72 4 1756 158* 136 129* 25.82 4 7 11
filtered 7 7 1 396 129* 114 98 66.00 2 1 0

Don't mess with a good thing and keep him at 6, Jayawarde figures if Ash bats @ 3 and they can get him than they wouldn't have too field and chase all them boundary balls and keep looking at dot balls. If you have the perfect #6 batsmen than don;t mess with that and teach them tail enders how to put a bat down yes I'm talking to you Mr. Sharif and Mortaza and stupid runouts.

Ash can't be the Top Order, SN and Bashar have the skill to do better, Javed is Javed and if Rajin can be Mr. 40 I can live with that. Mushifq should come at 5. Tushar can come at 7 and then our tail. The coach and Ash need to work with the Tail so we don't have these embarssing endings.

Rubu
July 6, 2007, 01:22 PM
If I'm not forgetting things, Ash said that he is more comfortable at #4. that was in terms of ODI i think he should be there for test as well. Usually, when he comes at #6 the match is already over. He should be able to fight more. But at the end, wherever he feels comfortable.

Sillypoint
July 6, 2007, 01:33 PM
Spot on!
Mahela has the audacity to dictate our game plan because we are down! Hope Ash and our team management are smart enough not to fall for that.

Ahmed_B
July 6, 2007, 01:33 PM
Well... Ash actually likes the 5th position. He said that on few occassions himself.

Fazal
July 6, 2007, 01:36 PM
Well... Ash actually likes the 5th position. He said that on few occassions himself.

Yes ... thats what I remeber him saying in several inetrviews.

Its the fans and their extra inovative brain cells that wants him all those #1, #2, #3, #4 slots in different threads.

Rajowana
July 6, 2007, 01:37 PM
I think position 5 / 6 is enough.

SS
July 6, 2007, 01:39 PM
It's good that he gave advice, but we should be mature enough to realize which is good for our team. Mahela doesn't know about our team's batsmen, if he did, he never would have captained such a team.

WarWolf
July 6, 2007, 02:15 PM
If there was an option for no 5 then i would have doted it.

Pundit
July 6, 2007, 02:23 PM
While Mahela's feedback was logical, I don't agree that its a good idea. For us, it should be like, let our best batsman bat when things are more comfortable than not. No other batsman exploits weaknesses (not the right word really here) better than Ash.

And him batting at 3 reducing the odds of a collapse is not very likely either.

We can try to elevate Mushfiq, but just as a trial, to 4, and let Bashar get 6.

So its opener, opener, Rajin, Mush, Ash, Bashar or other....

I like Ash at 6, but also believe any promotion should be limited to at best 5. Let JOB and Rajin grind it out.

cricket_pagol
July 6, 2007, 02:28 PM
Ash batting at 6 does not make sense... Our most talented batsmen should come at 4 or 5. Personally I would like to see him bat at #4.

IanW
July 6, 2007, 02:31 PM
He's the best batsman, so he bats at three.

Ian Whitchurch

AsifTheManRahman
July 6, 2007, 02:32 PM
The best batsman should bat up the order. I want to see him at 4. I also think we'll be wasting Mushfiq unless we play him at least at 5.

shovon13
July 6, 2007, 02:33 PM
ashraful should eventually be batting up the order, preferably at no.3 for both the oneday and test version of cricket. for the series at hand though, we should keep him around 5/6 and not mess with the combination.

Sovik
July 6, 2007, 02:43 PM
4-5, 6 will be a waste.

One World
July 6, 2007, 05:28 PM
This is a very interesting poll. For current stage of Bangladesh batting either Mushfik or Ashraful needs to be on the 5th position.

kaisermatin
July 6, 2007, 05:44 PM
Nafees 1
Belim 2
Rajin 3
Ash 4
Mushfiq 5
Bash 6

sadi
July 6, 2007, 05:44 PM
He should bat at number 4. Whatever Mahela said do make sense. If the team is down 40/4, we have already gave the game to the opponent's hand. Our team's best batsman shouldn't hide behind other batsmen but should come out and take control of things himself. I would want Ash to come at number 4 and Tushar can come at number 3. Rajin follows Ash and then Bashar, Mushfiq and Mehrab.

scoilaheez
July 6, 2007, 09:11 PM
Ash comes in at 4 as he has to take the responsibility. He cannot hide anymore, Hablu is not performing and so we need a solid no 4, with Rajin to be at 3.

Rabz
July 6, 2007, 09:19 PM
The best batman of the team always bats at No.3

They hold the innings together and everyone else plays around them.
Not only he has the ability to score runs, but also at a good rate.
This way the pressure is off for the batsman on the other end and they can build a partnership.

More often than not, when Ash comes to bat at No.6, he is under intense pressure. The team is like 50/5 or 80/6.
At that point, no matter how great u are, u r bound by ur limitations and the extreme situation. He have to bat with the tail enders which obstracts him from playing his natural game.

He should, and he must come up the order.
Atleast at No 3 or 4.
Enough said.

Padosan
July 6, 2007, 09:25 PM
Logic is simple, he is in a good form after the century. He needs more time in the middle, if he comes out at 6, most probably than not he will run out of partners. We cannot expect mushfiq to perform every innings.

If he comes in at no3/4 the probability of a big partnership clicking is more. so 3 or 4 rather than getting stranded in one end coming at no.6

cheers !
Padosan

Beamer
July 6, 2007, 10:42 PM
He should bat at number 4. Whatever Mahela said do make sense. If the team is down 40/4, we have already gave the game to the opponent's hand. Our team's best batsman shouldn't hide behind other batsmen but should come out and take control of things himself. I would want Ash to come at number 4 and Tushar can come at number 3. Rajin follows Ash and then Bashar, Mushfiq and Mehrab.

Thanks for saving me some time to write. You get it. This is what the line up should like for the 3rd test.

BD Tigers
July 6, 2007, 11:44 PM
Mahela is not against us. what he said make sense. the best batsman and then in form batsman shud come as early as possible. Saying that in form Bashar shud come in 1st down but since he's not, Rajin is fine, then Ash, then Bashar/Tusher.

ialbd
July 7, 2007, 12:06 AM
he should still bat at number 6, ppl batting at the top order should learn to do their part.....

Ahmed_B
July 7, 2007, 01:36 AM
So many people here are against/in favor of Ash playing at no.6(even the poll mentions him as a no.6).... but Ash isn't playing at no.6 at all! He's played at no.5 even in the previous Test (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/slvbdesh/engine/match/293479.html).

#1/2 positions are for openers
#Its ok to put Rajin in 3 or 4. He's a gritty guy and we need him there after the first 2 wickets fall.
# Ash himself has been complaining when he has been put below the no.5 position and has always hinted that no.5 his best for him. Most of his best performances came when he was @5. So we cant argue with him being in his best at that position.
# I have to say... if we cant find 2 good players for no3 & no4.. then we better not expect anything satisfactory from the team. IMO... someone from Mushfiq/Aftab/Tushar/Mehrab has to come in and be at 3+4 with Rajin(if Bashar fails to perform).

Leave Ash @5.

mali007
July 7, 2007, 02:06 AM
Look at other countries ----- #4 position is for the best batsman. Ash. should be in that position. Bashar should be dropped for the 3rd test and if he get chance by neputism he should bat at # 7.

nobody
July 7, 2007, 03:07 AM
Basher always played in number 3. Why he was shifted to no 4. He should move back to 3 followed by Rajin, Ash, Mushy. I do not care where that looser TI bats. He would still score 10 in test 100 in side matches

rafiq
July 7, 2007, 11:44 AM
The only reason Ash batted so low down the order (coming in usually when the game is over be it ODI or Tests, it's ridiculous) was Bashar's captaincy. Now that Bashar is no longer captain, and theoretically Ashraful gets to decide the batting order, he is being a little too modest. Hopefully the century will set his mind at ease and we will see the change in the 3rd test as well as the ODI series. I think Rajin bats ahead of him, then Ashraful followed by whoeever else makes the team on a given day.

rafiq
July 7, 2007, 11:47 AM
Basher always played in number 3. Why he was shifted to no 4. He should move back to 3 followed by Rajin, Ash, Mushy. I do not care where that looser TI bats. He would still score 10 in test 100 in side matches

logical...except bashar has no confidence in his game right now. If he plays the next test, and there is serious doubt that he will, do you add more pressure on him by promoting him to 3, or do you take some pressure off him by dropping him below ashraful? it's not a slight, it's an opportunity to save his game....

Sillypoint
July 7, 2007, 12:32 PM
The fact is that Ash is better with the ball a little bit older. That's why he needs to play little bit down the order...5 if that's what he wishes.

Murad
July 7, 2007, 12:44 PM
cricman bhai.. i think you should add another option in the poll. cuz most of us want to see him at 5th position....

Murad
July 7, 2007, 01:30 PM
Ashraful reaction to Mahela's Criticisms

Ashraful however was not ready to accept criticism from his counterpart about his batting position in the second innings.

"True the best batsman should prefer to bat at the top of the order and number six is not an ideal place for me. You know, I also love to bat at four or five but we promoted Mehrab considering his ability as an opener. My desire was to start the third day afresh although finally I had to come out on the second day. He (Mahela) has every right to criticise me but what we did it due to the team's interest," he said.

Young Rahim also echoed his captain's remarks about the comment made by Jayawardene.

"I don't find anything wrong in Mahela's comments. I think we are responsible in giving him a chance for making this kind of comments. What we did in the end as a team is more important than one or two individual successes," said young wicketkeeper Rahim, who made his maiden Test half-century in a crisis moment.

"How can we expect that someone praises us after we lost the game inside three days? If we really want to give Mahela (Jayawardene) an answer, then we should improve our performance. If not, then not only Mahela, but also everyone will criticise us. What I feel is that we should bat well in the first innings if we want to play competitive cricket in the third Test," Rahim observed.

DS (http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/07/08/d70708040429.htm)

cricman
July 7, 2007, 01:38 PM
Mahela better be careful what he asks for cause I bet Ash is gonna pop a score alot higher than 129* next time around

WarWolf
July 7, 2007, 01:56 PM
I am gonna put my money on the team for the 3rd test.

MohammedC
July 7, 2007, 02:37 PM
I am gonna put my money on the team for the 3rd test.

Then you will make lot of money if they do win the match 40 to 1 is a big odd

Miraz
July 8, 2007, 05:13 AM
I hope Ashraful will gain enough confidence to come at #4, it would be an ideal position for the team.

If he is not confident enough, I don't mind seeing him at #6 and scoring runs, but unfortunately it will be in losing cause for most of the occasions.

nzfan
July 8, 2007, 05:20 AM
Ash needs to be at 4, he is one of your best batsmen, if he does well then it will rub off on the like of Bashar who will be batting down the order and they will have less pressure on them

Sohel
July 8, 2007, 06:14 AM
If the opening pair and number 3 can manage to do their jobs, instead of creating pressure and sabotaging the lower order as they have been, Ash would like to come in at number 4. As Captain and the best batsman we have produced to date, both in terms of partnerships and individual achievement, he should decide where to bat. I refuse to vote for either option.

Shafin
July 8, 2007, 08:42 AM
I hope Ashraful will gain enough confidence to come at #4, it would be an ideal position for the team.

If he is not confident enough, I don't mind seeing him at #6 and scoring runs, but unfortunately it will be in losing cause for most of the occasions.
Unless we can find someone stable high in the order.Maybe we can send Mushy in No. 4/5 and Maybe TI will perform.SN would have been my man for the job,but as of now,he needs a rest.

abherath
July 11, 2007, 08:03 AM
Most of you who have commented on this are looking at the person (Mahela) and not the observation itself. You may have accepted this had it come from a Bangladeshi.

Ashraful is a very capable batsman. If he comes in at 3 he will not only bat longer, but also others would be able to play around him and reduce the possibility of batting collapses. This would definitely put the opposing team under pressure.

There are so many batsmen who have contributed far less than their potential, as they have been batting low down. This too is a factor to be considered. (Sometimes it cannot be helped. Look at Pollok and Vaas. They got centuries after so many matches but they should continue to bat low down as there are much better batters above them; but that is not true for the mighty atom, Ash. He has to bat at 3 or at least 4.)

Lord AK
July 13, 2007, 09:52 AM
Nafees 1
Belim 2
Rajin 3
Ash 4
Mushfiq 5
Bash 6

Hey I've practically got the same signature as you but mine says Aristotle lol:D

rayizmi
July 15, 2007, 02:35 PM
Ashraful was lucky bcoz he found a competent partner in mushy who got 80. but once mushfiq went, how much did the tail resist? and if mush had got out ash would probably got 15*.

Dhruvo
July 15, 2007, 03:29 PM
I think ash should stay at 5/6 it's the ideal position for him.

SMHasan
July 15, 2007, 10:49 PM
Generals always go ahead and lead the war. Aravinda, Lara (in the begining of his career), Sachin, Ponting, Fleming were the best batsman of their team and all of them batted top of the order on most of the occassions.

To the captain: There is no point of hiding yourself from the opposition attack, just go and lead the team. Thus bat top of the order either at 3 or 4.

To other people who follows Bangladesh cricket: Release your mind. Don't be scared of loosing Ash early in the innings. Let him go and fight.