PDA

View Full Version : Rafique Wants to Go Home!

Murad
July 6, 2007, 03:08 PM
Bad News Guys

Our best bowler wants to go home. His little boy is sick for some days and he's very worried about him. Thats the reason he didn't bowl well. Now He wants to go home after the 3rd Test, which means he will not play the ODI series.

Our management is not doing the right things by keeping him in the Test as he wants to go home. They should let him go to his sick child, instead they are telling him to go by different procedures to get the permission from the board. They are telling him to write a letter to the board and bla bla then the selectors will think about it then he will get the permission. Stupid Management. He's been serving the country for more than a decade and now he needs to go thorough all this.

Don't you think he should have given the permission right away??? He doesnt have to go through all this. No Sympathy for the players from the management and the board.

Shamokal (http://www.shamokal.com/details.php?nid=66477)

cricman
July 6, 2007, 03:10 PM
Let him go home, theres a difference between Family and Cricket, you can bring in Enam Jr to replace him.

AsifTheManRahman
July 6, 2007, 03:11 PM
Well if the board's just a phone call away, I don't see why it should be a problem.

Anyways, he should be allowed to leave, and I hope his son gets well soon.

shovon13
July 6, 2007, 03:12 PM
if he asks for it, he should be granted it. honestly - it will be the right move for our team as well. razzak can very ably fit those shoes. i'd rather have enamul though.

Fazal
July 6, 2007, 03:13 PM
Yes he should be allowed to go home. This just a game any way... life and familiy is more important. And this will give another opportunity to a new player. We are going to loose by an Innings anyway. And Rafiq is not playing that well so far.

So whats the problem then?

sandpiper
July 6, 2007, 03:13 PM
very bad news for the team before the one day series. I pray for the quick recovery of his son.

Tigers_eye
July 6, 2007, 03:14 PM
What's up with the management? he should immidiately get released and shipped home. When a child is sick the whole gameplan (of life) changes. I am just shocked by mismanagement. Isn't Akram Khan with the team? What is he doing? Geez!! I am just speechless!!!

Rajowana
July 6, 2007, 03:19 PM
Well this is a bad news but it is his son afterall and family is first.But anyway hope he gets better soon.

AsifTheManRahman
July 6, 2007, 03:23 PM
Well if the board's just a phone call away, I don't see why it should be a problem.

Anyways, he should be allowed to leave, and I hope his son gets well soon.

wait a minute. if his son's been sick since the beginning of the tour, and he's been wanting to go home all along, the management should've released him immediately instead of making him play the first two tests.

Shafin
What's up with the management? he should immidiately get released and shipped home. When a child is sick the whole gameplan (of life) changes. I am just shocked by mismanagement. Isn't Akram Khan with the team? What is he doing? Geez!! I am just speechless!!!
Akram is not a good manager,he was with our U-19 team that got mauled int he Asia cup.

May Allah heal Rafique's child

MohammedC
Let him go family comes first. Hope his son gets well soon

WarWolf
July 6, 2007, 03:24 PM
Forget about the game, just release him at once. He deserves it. Praying for his son. Inshallah he will recover soon.

SS
July 6, 2007, 03:24 PM
selectors matha karap...BCB busy with last minute karchupi....management managing their shopping list...players tired playing three days of test...when we last saw anything positive
Rafique should go home for this reason, as he will not be able to concentrate properly and also need to be side by his son!

ialbd
July 6, 2007, 03:53 PM
yes family comes first, rafiq should go home right away. Razzak can perform better than half-hearted Rafiq. InshAllah the kid will recover soon....

Kabir
July 6, 2007, 04:03 PM
There's nothing more important than family. He should be allowed to go home immediately. It's not that there's no-one who can replace him...we've got enough players to make up may be 50% of his aggression.

Hope his son is well.

FaridpurChicago
July 6, 2007, 04:14 PM
First of all, all my prayer for the boy and I wish Rafiq stand beside his son.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/<o:p></o:p>
Asking for vacation and going through formality should be the procedure. This is not just another game or how capable is his replacement. This is his job and every office has some working procedure. What happens to us if our kid is sick, can we just stop working. We need to ask for vacation, delegate responsibility. Yes, a good management approves the vacation immediately; but a good employee thinks about both. Work is first for my office management, family is first for me and I need to manage both.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If Rafiq asked for vacation immediately and the management took time for bureaucracy then only I'm up to blame the management.<o:p></o:p>

rah
July 6, 2007, 04:22 PM
first may his child get well

anyways if he wants to leave, he has every right to do so. jus let him go and call haque jr up

One World
July 6, 2007, 05:07 PM
i dont understand, how far is Srilanka from BD? I mean you can fly back and forth the same day. These management needs a change.

mali007
July 6, 2007, 05:12 PM
Family first. Stupid management !!

Antora
July 6, 2007, 07:39 PM
arrg stupid management!!! dont they know family is first??????????? gosh!!!
any way if raffique wants to go home.. he has every right to do so. and if management doesnt allow him.. well then ...lukay bangladeshey chole jak!!!! i do hope his son gets better!!!

Murad
July 6, 2007, 08:26 PM
There's nothing more important than family. He should be allowed to go home immediately. It's not that there's no-one who can replace him...we've got enough players to make up may be 50% of his aggression.

Hope his son is well.

Exactly!

Those ppl in the management have no brain at all.... faltu ekta manager.. bole ki na.. letter likho aaage...

Rabz
July 6, 2007, 08:48 PM
Well, there is no point makig him play if his heart is not in the game.
He would be better off to his family, and rightly so.
Hope his son gets better soon.

layperson
July 6, 2007, 08:56 PM
If my son was sick and I was worried about him and If I were in Rafique's position I would have said "screw you" to the management, bought my ticket and taken the next avaiable flight back home.

battye
July 6, 2007, 09:12 PM
I hope his son is alright. The board should have released Rafique from the squad immediately.

scoilaheez
July 6, 2007, 09:14 PM
The board should most definetly allow him to go home. He will not perform in any case if he is held against his wishes. It would also allow another opportunity for a younger player possibly Razzaq or Enamul or even Mehrab to play as a frontline spinner

cricketboy
July 7, 2007, 02:22 AM
Send Rafique home and bring in Enamul(jr).

Foozy
July 7, 2007, 03:10 AM
first of all.. id say that ya... for sure he should go home... as many of us pointed out... if his heart is not in the game... hell never perform well anyways... and weve seen that nywyas...
and as far as the team is concerned... id vote for mehrab or even sakib to replace him... if not enamul jnr or razzak who are just plain bowlers... i think adding a mehrab or a sakib to the team adds to our batting lineup too... and at the moment... that would b simply great!!...
as it stands... rafiq wasnt atall useful in teh last 2 tests... so a mehrab or a sakib instead of him would not make much of a difference from the bowling prospectice either..... (if it is bowling.. id vote for enam... if not him.... then sakib... not razzak... because sakibs bowling has a lot more flight, and it is more of a test type bowling than razzak's... because razzaks bowling is best for stopping runs... because it is flatter and tougher to hit... but getting some1 out in that bowling... it is tougher!!... ofcourse... nto to mention the batting head too...)

Baundule
July 7, 2007, 06:18 AM
First of all, all my prayer for the boy and I wish Rafiq stand beside his son.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/<o:p></o:p>
Asking for vacation and going through formality should be the procedure. This is not just another game or how capable is his replacement. This is his job and every office has some working procedure. What happens to us if our kid is sick, can we just stop working. We need to ask for vacation, delegate responsibility. Yes, a good management approves the vacation immediately; but a good employee thinks about both. Work is first for my office management, family is first for me and I need to manage both.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If Rafiq asked for vacation immediately and the management took time for bureaucracy then only I'm up to blame the management.<o:p></o:p>

I reccomend you to join the team management. :)

Bureaucracy is a rubbish word, because every rule or law has the scope to act on emergencies. So, it's up to the person who is acting; not up to the law! Only dumb and stupid managers will try to save their a$$ses citing this-or-that rule, in case of such emergencies.

Pundit
July 7, 2007, 09:11 AM
Who can blame a loving daddy for wanting to go back home!

But what is the baby boy ill from? Does he not have his ma/grannies to take care of him? Is the illness terminal? I personally have not heard of players wanting to leave besides their parents being in death bed with the impending...

Not also sure why so many of you are all down in prayers for the little boy? Is he our miracle boy? The 10x ashrafuls that we have been dreaming off since time immortal?

He will be fine. Bangadesh has hospitals you know. And Rafique has money in the vault.

Pundit
July 7, 2007, 09:13 AM
If my son was sick and I was worried about him and If I were in Rafique's position I would have said "screw you" to the management, bought my ticket and taken the next avaiable flight back home.

Now I know why people in BD are always screwing the Jesus out of their countrymen.

mafizraju
July 7, 2007, 10:29 AM
i dont understand, how far is Srilanka from BD? I mean you can fly back and forth the same day. These management needs a change.

But I dont think there is a straight way of going to colombo now a days from Dhaka....... I think you need to go kualalampur and then comeback or something. U19 team took a very round about way of reaching Colombo

mafizraju
July 7, 2007, 10:43 AM

But what is the baby boy ill from? Does he not have his ma/grannies to take care of him? Is the illness terminal? I personally have not heard of players wanting to leave besides their parents being in death bed with the impending...

Not also sure why so many of you are all down in prayers for the little boy? Is he our miracle boy? The 10x ashrafuls that we have been dreaming off since time immortal?

He will be fine. Bangadesh has hospitals you know. And Rafique has money in the vault.

Hospitals and Money doesnot solve all the problems. PPl are emotional and hence we stay in the hospitals with our dearest ones. Thats the way life is.....

And whats wrong with prayer for a sick boy...... whether he is the miracle child or the most stupidest one, he is still a mere CHILD. now I dont know what direction we will be heading if we stop at least praying for sicks and desperates.....

ottawaGuy
July 7, 2007, 10:47 AM
"rafique requested to go home after the kandy test"- I hope I'm quoting correctly. Quit blaming management for every little thing.

capslock
July 7, 2007, 10:49 AM

It's quite apparent that you are not a father.

Pundit
July 7, 2007, 11:10 AM
It's quite apparent that you are not a father.

And it's quite apparent that you are an emotional individual - someone more likely to capitulate under stress when the going gets tough.

Pundit
July 7, 2007, 11:13 AM
Hospitals and Money doesnot solve all the problems. PPl are emotional and hence we stay in the hospitals with our dearest ones. Thats the way life is.....

And whats wrong with prayer for a sick boy...... whether he is the miracle child or the most stupidest one, he is still a mere CHILD. now I dont know what direction we will be heading if we stop at least praying for sicks and desperates.....

People are more emotional than need be - that's why your cricket team loses more often than not. And everytime that happens, you are out to look for a scapegoat just to make you feel a little better until your next emotional turmoil.

How many people did you pray for the day b4 you heard of Rafique's son? And have you also actually prayed for him? Don't lie, be honest.

rafiq
July 7, 2007, 11:36 AM
Pundit, that's brilliant stuff! Welcome back!

Pundit
July 7, 2007, 11:40 AM
Pundit, that's brilliant stuff! Welcome back!

Should I not be welcoming you back? That new job at Motorola must have kept you quite busy.

Ahmed_B
July 7, 2007, 11:56 AM
I personally have not heard of players wanting to leave besides their parents being in death bed with the impending...
So you never really heard about Macgrath's long break from the Aus team for his Wife's treatment? C'mon... it wasnt even 2 years ago from now.. and his wife wasnt in deth-bed either. You sure you never heard him say "I value my family more than my career" ?

For us fans.. Cricket might be a passion, and sometimes even an uncontrolled and demanding 'Hobby'. But for the players, it is their proffession and their living in the end. Cricket is for them... and they are not for Cricket. Atleast, at the end of the day, that is how it is. And they even have an added burden of satisfying our 'hobby' while doing their job.

They deserve breathing spaces for their own lives/families/emotions more than many of us do while doing our job.... just because they take the extra burden of the mountains of expectations from the whole nation!

al Furqaan
July 7, 2007, 11:58 AM
we owe it to rafique to let him do what he wants to do, since he isn't breaking any rules.

inshallah the boy has nothing more serious than what pundit suspects, and he will be soon in no time.

bring in enam...never should have been left out in the first place.

mafizraju
July 7, 2007, 12:02 PM
People are more emotional than need be - that's why your cricket team loses more often than not. And everytime that happens, you are out to look for a scapegoat just to make you feel a little better until your next emotional turmoil.

How many people did you pray for the day b4 you heard of Rafique's son? And have you also actually prayed for him? Don't lie, be honest.

I wont lie.....I dont beleive in praying, neither I pray. Neither did I mention that i am pryaing for him. But I undestand ppl's reason to pray or be hypocritical about it.

Being emotional doesnot mean one needs to find an escapegoat for one's failure. We find escapegoat to shift blame so that our commitment/performance doesnot come under further scrutiny. I dont think that has anything to do with being emotional or not.

If I am to shift blame i will do it whether I am emotionaly attached with my failure or not

Pundit
July 7, 2007, 12:17 PM
So you never really heard about Macgrath's long break from the Aus team for his Wife's treatment? C'mon... it wasnt even 2 years ago from now.. and his wife wasnt in deth-bed either. You sure you never heard him say "I value my family more than my career" ?

For us fans.. Cricket might be a passion, and sometimes even an uncontrolled and demanding 'Hobby'. But for the players, it is their proffession and their living in the end. Cricket is for them... and they are not for Cricket. Atleast, at the end of the day, that is how it is. And they even have an added burden of satisfying our 'hobby' while doing their job.

They deserve breathing spaces for their own lives/families/emotions more than many of us do while doing our job.... just because they take the extra burden of the mountains of expectations from the whole nation!

Ok, I am counting...Macgrath.....

...and she was suffering from what was conceived at least at that time...terminal. A wife with an almost terminal sickness deserves the attention that Macgrath (husband) gave. And a boy with a flu, with mother/family to take care of is entirely a different matter. So does anybody know what the child is suffering of?

"They deserve breathing spaces.."

...you futher add. I would like to see you give them that breathing space when they have a rut of scores like 0,0,1,0....

"And they even have an added burden of satisfying our 'hobby' while doing their job. "

You are really really generalizing the topic to accommodate every logic you can think up of to support you thoughts...er the emotional ones.

capslock
July 7, 2007, 12:22 PM
And it's quite apparent that you are an emotional individual - someone more likely to capitulate under stress when the going gets tough.

It's not about capitulating to stress, it's about having perspective about what is more important: A transient and ultimately meaningless thing like a cricket series, or your loved ones.

I would pursue this debate further, but I prefer debating with individuals who motivations extend beyond being controversial for the sake of it.

Pundit
July 7, 2007, 12:25 PM
I wont lie.....I dont beleive in praying, neither I pray.

Being emotional doesnot mean one needs to find an escapegoat for one's failure. We find escapegoat to shift blame so that our commitment/performance doesnot come under further scrutiny. I dont think that has anything to do with being emotional or not.

So scapegoat is not the best word. But you are inadvertently using this approach of always criticizing some one to shield you frustrations from additional emotional misery.

You are concerned of our players' children, but not all children in general. So what you are doing is targetting areas of opportunities to whip up additional debate.

And it appears that now you are sympathising not for Rafique's son, but for other BC members who believe in the concept of prayers.

And one personal jibe from me - ok, never mind. As I said, you are emotionally distressed anyway.

Pundit
July 7, 2007, 12:26 PM
I would pursue this debate further, but I prefer debating with individuals who motivations extend beyond being controversial for the sake of it.

That's as lame as one can get when "capitulating to stress."

:-|

capslock
July 7, 2007, 12:40 PM
This is brilliant, Pundit, you resort to name calling, which is the debate equivalent to running to mommy and you're calling others 'lame'?

Honestly though, there are individuals on this forum worth debating, and you're not one of them.

mafizraju
July 7, 2007, 12:47 PM
So scapegoat is not the best word. But you are inadvertently using this approach of always criticizing some one to shield you frustrations from additional emotional misery.

You are concerned of our players' children, but not all children in general. So what you are doing is targetting areas of opportunities to whip up additional debate.

And it appears that now you are sympathising not for Rafique's son, but for other BC members who believe in the concept of prayers.

And one personal jibe from me - ok, never mind. As I said, you are emotionally distressed anyway.

You are trying to pick a debate! Bored, are you?

Pundit
July 7, 2007, 12:49 PM
And now we decide to stoop further - name calling allegations. "Lame" is also a reflection of your emotional state. It is an adjective, that has been put into a single word to capture the essence of the state of our mind that it has become when debating this issue.

"I would pursue this debate further, but I prefer debating with individuals who motivations extend beyond being controversial for the sake of it."

First come logical argument...followed by your quote...then come irrational numbness around every fact. Why would you want to go beyond debating with individuals.....for the sake of it? You will be beyond the spin zone then...into the world of irrational numbness.

I think that was what I was saying many of us are already their. Congratz to you...you are somewhere before that.

Pundit
July 7, 2007, 12:50 PM
You are trying to pick a debate! Bored, are you?

Picking a debate is good. Picking an argument is not. What is your choice here at this forum.

mafizraju
July 7, 2007, 12:52 PM
And now we decide to stoop further - name calling allegations. "Lame" is also a reflection of your emotional state. It is an adjective, that has been put into a single word to capture the essence of the state of our mind that it has become when debating this issue.

"I would pursue this debate further, but I prefer debating with individuals who motivations extend beyond being controversial for the sake of it."

First come logical argument...followed by your quote...then come irrational numbness around every fact. Why would you want to go beyond debating with individuals.....for the sake of it? You will be beyond the spin zone then...into the world of irrational numbness.

I think that was what I was saying many of us are already their. Congratz to you...you are somewhere before that.

Somebody is pretty bored.......!!

Murad
July 7, 2007, 12:58 PM
pundit plz stop that.. man.. you have no sympathy for anyone.. so please stop it.. dont start another debate..

thanks

capslock
July 7, 2007, 12:58 PM
Somebody is pretty bored.......!!

:lol:

mafizraju
July 7, 2007, 12:59 PM
Picking a debate is good. Picking an argument is not. What is your choice here at this forum.

Mine would be a meaningful debate where we dont look for an "emotional scapegoat".

Pundit
July 7, 2007, 01:00 PM
pundit plz stop that.. man.. you have no sympathy for anyone.. so please stop it.. dont start another debate..

thanks

Please stop what?

I have stuck with our players more than the all of you combined. What sympathy are you referring too.

Pundit
July 7, 2007, 01:02 PM
Mine would be a meaningful debate where we dont look for an "emotional scapegoat".

That is truly noble.

Now all you have to do is begin that debate from your side.

Aritro
July 7, 2007, 01:08 PM
That is truly noble.

Hahaha

I've had bouts of dyssentry that were less irritating than your presence in this thread.

Oh no, I've resorted to insults! What ever will I do now?

mafizraju
July 7, 2007, 01:09 PM
That is truly noble.

Only if you stop looking for an emotional scapegoat for your emotional failure

Murad
July 7, 2007, 01:11 PM
Please stop what?

I have stuck with our players more than the all of you combined. What sympathy are you referring too.

stop whatever you are doing... if u dont have any sympathy for players its ok.. u just leave it.. if u dont have anything good to say then its ok too.. just dont start a fight.. plz

mafizraju
July 7, 2007, 01:12 PM
Please stop what?

Now sympathy is a measurable quantity!!! Whats the unit you have for it?

rafiq
July 7, 2007, 01:18 PM
Honestly I've missed this good natured back and forths involving Pundit! I think the forum needs this as much as the deep analysis of mashrafee's bowling action. This exchange has put a smile on my face this morning and for that I thank all of you, especially Pundit. Sometimes you just need comic relief to set up the weekend!

Ahmed_B
July 7, 2007, 01:19 PM
Pundit,
As far as I see.. Rafiq's sons illness is severe enough to make him lose his concentration and a drop in performance. Now... it doesnt matter how sick the son is in 'medical' terms.. I see no reason to hold someone back in team if he fails to perform upto the mark because of it.

To me.. its a plain logical decision. To you it might look emotional. Just a difference in opinion... nothing to fight over.

Beamer
July 7, 2007, 01:37 PM
Assuming that the news is correct..

His son is sick and thats why he hasn't been bowling well ! Sounds like he is trying to get mileage out of his son's illness as an excuse for his average bowling and awful batting. Fact of the matter is that he has been on a downslide for a long time, totally under the radar, while public are pre-occupied with HaBa & Pilot and their demise. He is still OK in one dayers, where he can fire away his flat deliveries to contain the batsmen and picking up frustration wkts here and there because of it. No problem there, though Razzak right now has replaced him as the best one day bowler in the team. Its his test bowling that has declined beyond recognition and to make matters worse, his batting is so shoddy that even Sharif comes to bat before him ! About his fielding and running between wkts : lets say its school boyish.

I agree with Pundit to a certain extent. General people are blinded by emotion when it comes to Rafiq, and he has always gotten a free pass even when his behaviour/attitude at times has been very detrimental to the spirit of team enviornment. Don't forget he was sent home from Zimbabwe early for openly fighting with Bashar ( some say he was close to hitting the skip on his first assignment ) and he had numerous bust-ups with coaching/fitness stuff. Imagine any other player doing that and getting away with it? Not a chance. Even his humble begining is often cited as him being a role model and loved across the board. What insane reasoning, as if to say, " gorib er dosh nai ". I did admire his fighting spirit on the field, his wkt taking arm balls ( it has been absent for a while ) and his fearless batting, but as with a lot of senior folks, he is also on his way out in terms of ability alone. But, he has at times been a horrible teammate, stubborn individual and classless person.

If his son is really sick, he should leave regardless of what BCB says and people might have a case with BCB about that. Blaming sons illness for his performance is just plain BS. He must have been sick for over a year then..

mafizraju
July 7, 2007, 01:42 PM

His son is sick and thats why he hasn't been bowling well ! Sounds like he is trying to get mileage out of his son's illness as an excuse for his average bowling and awful batting. Fact of the matter is that he has been on a downslide for a long time, totally under the radar, while public are pre-occupied with HaBa & Pilot and their demise. He is still OK in one dayers, where he can fire away his flat deliveries to contain the batsmen and picking up frustration wkts here and there because of it. No problem there, though Razzak right now has replaced him as the best one day bowler in the team. Its his test bowling that has declined beyond recognition and to make matters worse, his batting is so shoddy that even Sharif comes to bat before him ! About his fielding and running between wkts : lets say its school boyish.

I agree with Pundit to a certain extent. General people are blinded by emotion when it comes to Rafiq, and he has always gotten a free pass even when his behaviour/attitude at times has been very detrimental to the spirit of team enviornment. Don't forget he was sent home from Zimbabwe early for openly fighting with Bashar ( some say he was close to hitting the skip on his first assignment ) and he had numerous bust-ups with coaching/fitness stuff. Imagine any other player doing that and getting away with it? Not a chance. Even his humble begining is often cited as him being a role model and loved across the board. What insane reasoning, as if to say, " gorib er dosh nai ". I did admire his fighting spirit on the field, his wkt taking arm balls ( it has been absent for a while ) and his fearless batting, but as with a lot of senior folks, he is also on his way out in terms of ability alone. But, he has at times been a horrible teammate, stubborn individual and classless person.

If his son is really sick, he should leave regardless of what BCB says and people might have a case with BCB about that. Blaming sons illness for his performance is just plain BS. He must have been sick for over a year then..

I dont think he balmed his sons illness for his performance?????????? Do you have any quote to prove your logic

capslock
July 7, 2007, 01:43 PM

Sounds like Rafique killed your pet...

In any case, I don't think that Rafique is blaming his son's illness as an excuse, obviously, we don't know the whole story, for that matter, we don't even know if the management is to blame for him staying back in SL. I think the case is more like Rafique can't decide whether to ditch the tour and go back or to stay and see out the job, and it's this dilemma that is causing him distress.

And I don't think the people in this forum are 'blinded by emotion', the main debate was whether family comes sports or not, with most people agreeing that it does.

Beamer
July 7, 2007, 01:52 PM
Story maybe right or wrong. But according to the article, he cites it as the reason for his bad performance. To me, thats a lame excuse. Man up and say that he is not performing well and not for a while. He gets a free pass. And the incidents that I cite, are true, not rumors. He was always ill tempered and classless. Whats the big deal? It is what it is..

I don't have a pet.

mafizrazu : Wasn't using logic. Observations based on fact. Do you know the difference?

mafizraju
July 7, 2007, 02:19 PM
Story maybe right or wrong. But according to the article, he cites it as the reason for his bad performance. To me, thats a lame excuse. Man up and say that he is not performing well and not for a while. He gets a free pass. And the incidents that I cite, are true, not rumors. He was always ill tempered and classless. Whats the big deal? It is what it is..

I don't have a pet.

mafizrazu : Wasn't using logic. Observations based on fact. Do you know the difference?

i dont think my knowledge of the Bangla language is as bad as my knowledge about the english language. And in the report nowhere it mentions that rafique is using his son's illness as his excuse of underperformance. And hence "Observation based on fact" should not indicate he is trying to show an excuse of his underperformance. Since you were concluding it to be an excuse I thought you might have found a logical sense to do so.

You may want to re-read the story. He was showing reason for him to come home not his performance

Ahmed_B
July 7, 2007, 02:39 PM
He was always ill tempered and classless
A genuine hit below the belt! :hairpull:

Baundule
July 7, 2007, 05:41 PM
So, I reccomend Pundit too in the BD management team. That's the best place for him to show some work. I am sure, if he is such a devoted man to his work, such an emotionless individual that when he hears of his father's death, he will just say, "oh! but I can not go home. I have to make a team selection for the next tour."

We desperately need you, Pundit.

Beamer
July 7, 2007, 06:37 PM
Facts I was referring to : His test performance has been dipping. Batting is almost non-existent. Fielding, even worse.

Does he have a history of bad behaviours? Yes.
Did he openly chastise a young bowler for seeking tips from another SLA? Yes.
Does he get a pass from public about it? Yes.. he always did.

Do I deny that he was a great cricketer ? NO.
Did he act professionally all the time ? NO.

Those are facts. Good with the bad. I opened my statement saying if the story is correct and then proceded. Lot of you are coming to a negative conclusion about BCB from the same story. Just as most people will give Rafiq the benefit of doubt, most will deny the same benefit to BCB. Now, I am not backing BCB, nor am I saying that Rafiq is what general people tend to believe that he is - a cult hero and a perfect role model. He was great a cricketer but NOT the perfect teammate. Based on his history, its difficult to give him the benefit of doubt..

Thats all. Everybody is free to worship whoever they want. If I want to pour cold water on it, well, I am perfectly within my rights to do so, just as you are exercising your right..

Rabz
July 7, 2007, 08:39 PM
Kothar pani kothai gorae...
we have a habit of skewing things around...dont we??

i have no idea where this thread is actually heading to??
if i was a mod, i would have closed this one ....(*hint* *hint*).....

layperson
July 7, 2007, 08:57 PM
Facts I was referring to : His test performance has been dipping. Batting is almost non-existent. Fielding, even worse.

Those are facts. Good with the bad. I opened my statement saying if the story is correct and then proceded. Lot of you are coming to a negative conclusion about BCB from the same story. Just as most people will give Rafiq the benefit of doubt, most will deny the same benefit to BCB. Now, I am not backing BCB, nor am I saying that Rafiq is what general people tend to believe that he is - a cult hero and a perfect role model. He was great a cricketer but NOT the perfect teammate. Based on his history, its difficult to give him the benefit of doubt..

Thats all. Everybody is free to worship whoever they want. If I want to pour cold water on it, well, I am perfectly within my rights to do so, just as you are exercising your right..

The man has got valid points. Good post. However If the story is true(his son is ill), I would have liked rafique to be sent back.

capslock
July 7, 2007, 09:29 PM
Kothar pani kothai gorae...
we have a habit of skewing things around...dont we??

i have no idea where this thread is actually heading to??
if i was a mod, i would have closed this one ....(*hint* *hint*).....

Haha, I don't think it's that bad yet, it's still pretty civil.

Protic
July 7, 2007, 09:34 PM
We do need our spin trio to choke SL ..but we can call up Mehrab JR in place of Rafique for ODIs..and it will increase batting strength too.. Enam is of no use in ODIs.

rafiq
July 8, 2007, 01:13 AM
Aside from obviously wishing Rafique's son's speedy recovery, and hoping that team management and the player figure out if he should stay or go based on the urgency of the illness, what this thread may be heading into is Rafique's future as a BD player. I agree with Beamer that is a needed topic of discussion and Rafique's declining performance has been less talked about relative to Bashar, Pilot and everybody's favorite punching bag, JO.

Sticking purely to his game, his ability to take wickets with pure spin had eroded quite some time back. I am puzzled by that...what does age have to do with his transformation into a near-slow-medium pacer-who-occasionally-turns-the-ball? Maybe he is more effective as part of the SLA contingent in one dayers, but I thought many of the better players eventually quit one day to focus on test cricket during their final playing days - eg even on the BD team, Bashar could be an example if he can hang on to his test spot. With Rafique it's the other way around.

His batting took a rapid nosedive sometime last year. I can empathize with vision and reaction time being an issue if it is. I don't think his fielding is all that awful - for his age he still moves pretty well - maybe the dropped return catch in the 2nd test is too fresh in our memory.

Rafique did get picked to the Asia XI in the Africa/Asia series recently - and actually did well.

I worry that the senior players are all breaking down at the same time....an exodus leaves a bunch of players with a lot of talent but not much experience, which can only mean one thing. Much more of the same.

Sohel
July 8, 2007, 03:37 AM
No debate. He should be permitted to do what he needs to.

Foozy
July 8, 2007, 03:44 AM
The man has got valid points. Good post. However If the story is true(his son is ill), I would have liked rafique to be sent back.

i think i hav the same opinion.. the guy did hav some solid points.. and they were facts...

Rabz
July 8, 2007, 03:53 AM
deleted......

Baundule
July 8, 2007, 09:16 AM

Let's take your every accusion against Rafiq as true; let's take he is the worst man not only in the Bangladeshi team but also in the whole world. He is worse than the devil. He does not perform. He is a liability. He is a moron. He does not know even 'c' of cricket, or whartever you want to say about him.

But the point is, that is another story mate. It has nothing to do with his willingness to be with his son, when he is seriously ill. There is no benefit of doubt or what so ever. If he is not a performer, then dont select him. But this is a family crisis. You, the perfect people or what-so-ever, just focus on the discussion.

Who the hell you are to tag him as a liar?

Baundule
July 8, 2007, 09:19 AM
I worry that the senior players are all breaking down at the same time....an exodus leaves a bunch of players with a lot of talent but not much experience, which can only mean one thing. Much more of the same.

It's because of the stupid management. They are doing everything without any vision. They are destroying BD cricket.

BonBon
July 8, 2007, 10:33 AM
This thread is getting bitter for nothing ..guys..spend your time wisely

I am just back from a 1 mo BD trip and was surprised to see the apathy in BD cricket there. People seemed to be disinterested..and were rather disturbed to see me watching the BD-SL test matches, where we lost so dearly..

Hello to everyone..thanks for keeping the forum warm :)
h

Let's take your every accusion against Rafiq as true; let's take he is the worst man not only in the Bangladeshi team but also in the whole world. He is worse than the devil. He does not perform. He is a liability. He is a moron. He does not know even 'c' of cricket, or whartever you want to say about him.

But the point is, that is another story mate. It has nothing to do with his willingness to be with his son, when he is seriously ill. There is no benefit of doubt or what so ever. If he is not a performer, then dont select him. But this is a family crisis. You, the perfect people or what-so-ever, just focus on the discussion.

Beamer
July 8, 2007, 01:43 PM

Your first para is too emotionally choked and doesn't deserve a response. However, dyslexia or inability to comprehend simple meaning of texts might just trigger such an emotional unreasonable response. Wish you well ..

Murad
July 8, 2007, 01:54 PM
"So far it has been my worst-ever performance in Test cricket. I bowled 35 overs in the last Test without any success," said Rafique who came here seven wickets short of becoming the first Bangladeshi to take 100 Test wickets.

"Murali can turn the ball on glass, so the condition doesn't matter to him. But bowlers of our calibre should get some assistance from the wicket which was also not the case in the first two Tests and I think it will be the same here," said Rafique, who expressed his desire to not be considered for the one-day series due to a family commitment.

"I think if our batsmen are able to manage at least 300 runs, then it could have been a different story for the bowlers. Actually the Sri Lankan batsmen played us freely after our poor scores in both the first innings. Another reason is that we played too many one-day games in the last year. We have to work hard to get our basics right in Test cricket," he said while explaining the reasons behind the failure in the series.

"You know Sri Lanka knew everything about our strengths because we played too many Test matches against them," he added.

Rafique also explained his frustration as a batsman coming in later.

"I had to face the new ball in the last two matches but the reality is that I have hardly practiced against the new ball which I think was the main reason behind my batting failure. But what I can assure you is that I have always tried my best," he said

Nafis_BD
July 8, 2007, 03:32 PM
Well if Rafique wants to go home then I think the BCB should let him go after all family comes first and I hope nothing serious happens to his son and he recovers soon!!!

scorpion32
July 8, 2007, 03:53 PM

His son is sick and thats why he hasn't been bowling well ! Sounds like he is trying to get mileage out of his son's illness as an excuse for his average bowling and awful batting.

The rest of your post doesn't deserve a response. You just take a news from a newspaper and start going on a tangent.
Do you have something personal against Rafiq? He is one of the best bowler our country has ever produced. Guys like you only knows how to hate. See a doctor soon..

MohammedC
July 8, 2007, 05:59 PM
Nothing is going right for Rafique

1- He is not getting any wicket
2- His son is not well
3- Attacked by monkey..............What!!!!
veteran left-arm spinner Mohammad Rafique got an unkind welcome in Kandy as a large number of monkeys were hanging around his windows once he entered his room. "They just attacked me once I entered my room. Hotel authority immediately dispersed them by shooting blanks," said Rafique, who was slightly disturbed by the incident.

DS (http://thedailystar.net/2007/07/09/d70709040236.htm)

Kabir
July 8, 2007, 06:25 PM

2- His son is not well

:floor:

Funniest comment of the week!

rubel_18
July 8, 2007, 06:30 PM

2- His son is not well

The first two points are serious and then the monkey point made me crack up so bad :lol:
:floor: :floor:

Antora
July 8, 2007, 07:55 PM

i hate to say this but you have nothing called a heart. how would u feel if ur son was sick and you were away from home?

Antora
July 8, 2007, 07:56 PM

2- His son is not well

awww poor raffique uncle..definately kufa lagse unar pichone!!!

Pundit
July 8, 2007, 08:41 PM
i hate to say this but you have nothing called a heart. how would u feel if ur son was sick and you were away from home?

And I hate to admit this - but you are the only teenage here who has mastered the art of speaking in moderation. The other teenies are...well teenies, and some grown ups or mods...are well, teenies too.

:smug:

Pundit
July 8, 2007, 08:50 PM
Pundit,
As far as I see.. Rafiq's sons illness is severe enough to make him lose his concentration and a drop in performance. Now... it doesnt matter how sick the son is in 'medical' terms.. I see no reason to hold someone back in team if he fails to perform upto the mark because of it.

To me.. its a plain logical decision. To you it might look emotional. Just a difference in opinion... nothing to fight over.

What is your definition of fight? Honestly, this new breed of BC mods just don't cut it.

Nafis_BD
July 8, 2007, 09:18 PM

2- His son is not well

:lol:

Bechare Rafique luck ta kharap. NTV news te o boleche Rafique ke bandor attack koreche!!

Beamer
July 8, 2007, 10:16 PM
The rest of your post doesn't deserve a response. You just take a news from a newspaper and start going on a tangent.
Do you have something personal against Rafiq? He is one of the best bowler our country has ever produced. Guys like you only knows how to hate. See a doctor soon..

Exactly. You don't have a response for the rest of the post, simply because I state some obvious cricketing facts. Are you in second grade? What part of my posts don't give him his dues and service to our cricket? He has been below par for a while and many posters here recognize that.

Don't make it personal. You will regret later. You can challenge my views if you disagree and I will gladly try to respond with reason. But, refrain from personal attacks.

Antora
July 8, 2007, 10:22 PM
And I hate to admit this - but you are the only teenage here who has mastered the art of speaking in moderation. The other teenies are...well teenies, and some grown ups or mods...are well, teenies too.

lol

any way i would also like to say... 'to lead a perfect life , u need a family that loves u, and a family for u to love. without a family ,life would be much harder. a family is more important than money.. even more important than reaching 100 wickets in cricket." so i say to BCB that is not letting raffique go home, to put themselves in raffiques shoes. a child is sick and he obviously wants his family (loved ones) with him.

Kabir
July 8, 2007, 10:36 PM
Man. We have two immature members. One, that picks on people 1/10th of his age, and the other, even though gets picked on, tries to be so nice, polite, and rational in her response.

Both need to take some "maturity 101" courses.

Ahmed_B
July 9, 2007, 03:36 AM
What is your definition of fight? Honestly, this new breed of BC mods just don't cut it.
Hmm... you just got me bit confused about your level of alartness on an as-mod-post and an as-member-post. Lemme just clarify incase you missed it alltogather due to all the fuss in the thread: I have not talked to you in this thread as-mod yet.

And oh.. trying to slide in a highly personalized comment about BC-Mods completely out of context and in a totally unrelated discussion... yes... that I consider as "trying to pull a fight".

However... me in no mood for any arguments/discussions/fights.. or whatever. :)

Sohel
July 9, 2007, 04:14 AM
Looks like my fellow traveller Beamer hit a nerve or two here. I can't say I disagree with what he said, but would have altered how I had to say it a bit. Then again, hindsight is always 20/20. It's the intense passion that's so cool about this thread despite some of the more obvious unpleasantries. I suppose that's just a "part of the game" too.

His son really is a bit sick BTW, and if he wants to give himself a break at this point and try to regain his center, I say so be it. He too may have expressed what he had to say differently, if he didn't have the benefit of my doubt which he does and always will, we'd see the man's cricketing class underneath it all. HaBa and Abir could learn a few things from Raf, who was attacked by a pack of semi-wild monkeys inside his hotel room. Ekebare lonkakando. Life is indeed stranger than fiction.

Anyway, here's a dig from The Daily Star, link: http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/07/09/d70709040236.htm

Tigers reach Kandy
'Attacked' Rafique wants to skip ODIs
Bishwajit Roy from Kandy

The Bangladesh cricket team breathed in fresh air when they reached Kandy yesterday to play the third and final Test starting from July 11.

There were dull days for the Tigers in Colombo following their humiliating defeats in the first two Tests which they lost almost without any fight and the visit to the hill capital of Sri Lanka gave them some much-needed relief to recover from the disappointments.

The Tigers are accommodated in the picturesque Mahaweli Reach Hotel in a quiet and homely atmosphere.

Soon after their arrival, the visitors took part in a swimming session and after that some of the players, including Habibul Bashar, were in a hurry to get out to the city, which lies at an altitude of 1629 feet above sea level in the centre of the island and surrounded by mountains.

Like Bashar, it was a first visit for many in this world heritage city as Bangladesh are going to play their first Test match in the home city of spin wizard Muttiah Muralidaran and Kumar Sangakkara.

Bangladesh captain Mohammad Ashraful was one of few in the team like Rajin Saleh who had earlier visited the city as they were part of the Under-19 World Cup side in 2000.

"I didn't play any match here as I was the 12th man in the semifinal against Namibia. Actually I was too young then but now I am the captain of the team," said Ashraful with a smile on his face, as he enhanced his reputation against Sri Lanka by hitting his fourth Test hundred in the second Test at the P Sara Stadium.

However, veteran left-arm spinner Mohammad Rafique got an unkind welcome in Kandy as a large number of monkeys were hanging around his windows once he entered his room. "They just attacked me once I entered my room. Hotel authority immediately dispersed them by shooting blanks," said Rafique, who was slightly disturbed by the incident.

Besides the monkey attack, Rafique had the disappointment with his performance in the series in mind.

"So far it has been my worst-ever performance in Test cricket. I bowled 35 overs in the last Test without any success," said Rafique who came here seven wickets short of becoming the first Bangladeshi to take 100 Test wickets.

The wily left-arm spinner took only one wicket in the first Test giving away 138 runs and hardly has any chance to redeem himself as the Kandy wicket is always preferable for the seam bowlers.

"Murali can turn the ball on glass, so the condition doesn't matter to him. But bowlers of our calibre should get some assistance from the wicket which was also not the case in the first two Tests and I think it will be the same here," said Rafique, who expressed his desire to not be considered for the one-day series due to a family commitment.

"I think if our batsmen are able to manage at least 300 runs, then it could have been a different story for the bowlers. Actually the Sri Lankan batsmen played us freely after our poor scores in both the first innings. Another reason is that we played too many one-day games in the last year. We have to work hard to get our basics right in Test cricket," he said while explaining the reasons behind the failure in the series.

"You know Sri Lanka knew everything about our strengths because we played too many Test matches against them," he added.

Rafique also explained his frustration as a batsman coming in later.

"I had to face the new ball in the last two matches but the reality is that I have hardly practiced against the new ball which I think was the main reason behind my batting failure. But what I can assure you is that I have always tried my best," he said."

Baundule
July 9, 2007, 04:15 AM
Your first para is too emotionally choked and doesn't deserve a response. However, dyslexia or inability to comprehend simple meaning of texts might just trigger such an emotional unreasonable response. Wish you well ..

It was not emotionally chocked for sure. :) It was just to show the possible worst scenario of Rafique. As you were trying to bring forward Rafique's problems, completely out of context. Even with that worst scenario, he must be allowed to leave when there is a family crisis.

I wish that makes it comprehensible for you. And hope, now you will be able to see the reasonable side of the matter. Thanks.

Baundule
July 9, 2007, 04:26 AM

Pundit and Beamer are the only emotionless Grandpas in BC. :-D
We all are teen-agers. I am seriously thinking of a 'Buira Robot' cricket tournament. Suggestions are welcome.

PoorFan
July 9, 2007, 04:55 AM
Hmmm ... I totally lost my interest to read whole thread. Come on guys ...

Not necessarily has any meaning in sequence but ...

1. Rafique's son is sick is a fact.
2. Rafique is not doing good recently and in this series is also a fact.
3. Rafique has bad attitude, temper is also a well known fact.
4. BD management in SL as well as in Dhaka knows everything first hand is also a fact.

If someone says Rafique himself has problem and other says its BCB, both should have valid perspective if not truth, so why pulling off each others leg here? Why not let them ( Rafique & BCB ) settle down this problem if you care so much? If we have believe on our generousness then why it cant be said with BCB and Rafique? There must be some reason why both party has problem with each other. BD team is in a reform / transition period, and if we want best out of it, we should let the job to be done by those who is in charge. I think it should be as simple as that.

scorpion32
July 9, 2007, 10:46 AM
Don't make it personal. You will regret later. You can challenge my views if you disagree and I will gladly try to respond with reason. But, refrain from personal attacks.

Is that a threat? I am so scared.:floor:

Beamer
July 9, 2007, 10:58 AM
Sohel NR

A serious case of raw nerve indeed. I knew I was treading on thin ice when I wrote it knowing fully well that some people will completely blank out everything I mentioned about Rafiq the cricketer. In my book, he is easily one of the best three cricketers that has ever donned the Bangla colors. However, his game has slipped beyond recognition in recent times , that is if you are willing to 'see' it, and I am afraid, he too is on his way out just as HaBa, Pilot and co. At the same time, he has been less than charitable on occassions as a teammate, even when he was in his cricketing prime. Maybe, my dig at him is ill timed, if his son is sick, which I don't doubt. But, if he is sick enough, he should screw the BCB and leave ( BCB is not exactly your model organization and we can talk on that for hours ).

I would be a fool to disagree on his cricketing class, as you mentioned, but, I do have serious reservations about his human class. And, that bit is not speculative, but well documented over the course of the years. He would have been better off to just say that he hasn't been performing well period and not correlate his son's illness as the reason. Rafiq's game hasn't been alright for a long time. Time to recognize that even if the discussion may appear to be out of context.

Rifat
July 9, 2007, 10:59 AM
this thread is a public sympathy for our beloved star Rafique and his well being in addition to petition the delay of BCB to make trouble for Rafique so he can't go home... players should not be FORCED TO PLAY this is just a game for entertainment, entertainment should not be a first priority as it looks these days...

If Rafique seriously wants to go home, nobody should force him to stay, this clause should go for any player because every individual in our cricket team should play from their personal will, if they do that, then they can perform, come on BCB, reflect and think...

Beamer
July 9, 2007, 11:05 AM
Pundit and Beamer are the only emotionless Grandpas in BC. :-D
We all are teen-agers. I am seriously thinking of a 'Buira Robot' cricket tournament. Suggestions are welcome.

That sounds good. Participants must take an IQ test before the tournament though. For your benefit, we will lower the entry score to single digits , so you can play.

Beamer
July 9, 2007, 11:14 AM
Is that a threat? I am so scared.:floor:

Once again you are afraid of an intellectual discourse. I am not surprised. Don't be scared or feel threatened.

Tigers_eye
July 9, 2007, 12:15 PM
Alright then!! Read and be knowledgable on how to manage players better.

http://kutv.com/sports/local_story_183205727.html
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1427896

This story is new and related to our issue here. See how the management handled the situation. These are a direct quotes from the team owner (equvalent to our BCB).

Team owner Larry Miller said, "Perhaps those of us that pay attention to what's going on here can learn something about character and integrity and honesty. So for that, Derek, I thank you. When it comes to decisions related to them,” he said of his family, “I do what’s best.”
Wiping away tears, Miller said Fisher “leaves a legacy” of leadership and toughness for Utah’s young players.
“He’s focused on the most important thing,” the owner said of Fisher’s request to leave the Jazz.

The 11 month girl has cancer on her left eye. The worst case scenario is to take out the eye she will be blind through the left eye. Not life threatening. Utah Jazz released Derek Fisher, knowing he may chose to sign with their rivals LA Lakers which would keep him close to his daughter (LA medical team is better than the Utah one on this type of cancer).

++++++++++++++++++

Organization don't run by itself. People with heart runs it. At times, situation arises where management must make decisions that may be counter productive at the time but does it anyways as a goodwill.

The initial news at shomokal pointed out that Rafique's son was sick and was admitted in Hospital. Nothing else matters here if the father wants to go home. No matter what type of person Rafique is, the team management should have sent him home or start arranging his departure. His head is not in the game is suggested by the reporter not Rafique. He wanted to leave after the Kandy test.

My issue with this is why would team management and selection committee would say the following and not act to arrange his departure?

Translating as best as I could:
From Dhaka rafique has been told to write a letter to the board explaining the reasons. Team management or the selection committee can't help him on this and this has been conveyed to Rafiq. If he really wants to leave then he must submit it within today or tomorrow.

Why do we have a team management if they can't do anything in situation like this? Following procedures are fine, but things that is close to heart should get extra priority. This should not be a factor on how Rafique behaved with others.

Welcome back Pundit. It is not "vacation" but "sick-time" that I would had to ask if situation like that arised. Vacation seems to downgrade the issue.

Tigers_eye
July 9, 2007, 12:20 PM
When Tresco wanted to leave the team didn't England let him go just like that? And this even didn't involve with a child or a family member. The state of a player's mind is very important towards the teams performance. Instead of asking to do the paper work this should have been taken care by our so called team management. What are they managing by the way?

Miraz
July 9, 2007, 12:23 PM

.................................................. .......................................... (http://kutv.com/sports/local_story_183205727.html)
.................................................. ..............
Why do we have a team management if they can't do anything in situation like this? Following procedures are fine, but things that is close to heart should get extra priority. This should not be a factor on how Rafique behaved with others.

Spot on T_E bhai. Could not agree more. We are making too much out of nothing. A father can never concentrate when he learns the sickness of the child and could not rush to his bedside.

Murad
July 9, 2007, 12:33 PM
Well said.. T_E... Some members in his forum are way too much.. They think as like players should not have a heart. Those ppl should learn something from your post #106..

akabir77
July 9, 2007, 12:37 PM
wow some people can seat in front of their computer and think they know better ;) i just have to say wow...

sharifk
July 9, 2007, 01:28 PM

http://kutv.com/sports/local_story_183205727.html
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1427896

This story is new and related to our issue here. See how the management handled the situation. These are a direct quotes from the team owner (equvalent to our BCB).

Team owner Larry Miller said, "Perhaps those of us that pay attention to what's going on here can learn something about character and integrity and honesty. So for that, Derek, I thank you. When it comes to decisions related to them,” he said of his family, “I do what’s best.”
Wiping away tears, Miller said Fisher “leaves a legacy” of leadership and toughness for Utah’s young players.
“He’s focused on the most important thing,” the owner said of Fisher’s request to leave the Jazz.

The 11 month girl has cancer on her left eye. The worst case scenario is to take out the eye she will be blind through the left eye. Not life threatening. Utah Jazz released Derek Fisher, knowing he may chose to sign with their rivals LA Lakers which would keep him close to his daughter (LA medical team is better than the Utah one on this type of cancer).

++++++++++++++++++

Organization don't run by itself. People with heart runs it. At times, situation arises where management must make decisions that may be counter productive at the time but does it anyways as a goodwill.

The initial news at shomokal pointed out that Rafique's son was sick and was admitted in Hospital. Nothing else matters here if the father wants to go home. No matter what type of person Rafique is, the team management should have sent him home or start arranging his departure. His head is not in the game is suggested by the reporter not Rafique. He wanted to leave after the Kandy test.

My issue with this is why would team management and selection committee would say the following and not act to arrange his departure?

Translating as best as I could:
From Dhaka rafique has been told to write a letter to the board explaining the reasons. Team management or the selection committee can't help him on this and this has been conveyed to Rafiq. If he really wants to leave then he must submit it within today or tomorrow.

Welcome back Pundit. It is not "vacation" but "sick-time" that I would had to ask if situation like that arised. Vacation seems to downgrade the issue.

Excellent examples! Some people in this forum and not to mention BCB (if BCB isn't allowing Rafique to leave)really need to read them.

brishti
July 9, 2007, 02:08 PM
awww i hope he's son gets better soon

Beamer
July 9, 2007, 02:22 PM
Interesting to see that some of the astute members are trying to make it a case of BCB vs Rafiq. BCB is not your ideal organization and one can find fault with them at every nook and crany. However, its seems a bit weird that they won't release him if and indeed his son is sick. From the same story, people are quick to blame BCB, even if they don't know the whole truth. At the same time, people are quick to believe Rafiq's part of the story and his explanation for not performing and extend him the benefit of doubt, even if they don't know the whole truth ! Find that a bit strange. This is hero worshipping at its worst. I will leave the cricketing aspect aside as I have mentioned over and over again in this thread what he meant to our cricket. However, if you are not ready to acknowledge that he is past his prime, I guess, no matter of reasoning or stats would persuade that individual who refuses to take off his/her blinder.

T_E : Those are some good examples. If I remember correctly, Bashar was allowed to leave early from a tour ( or was it someone else ? not sure ) when his mother was sick. Anyway..

akabir : All posters are not equal. Some know more than others. Thats a fact. You are actually one of them. I read your posts and you do make sense...

Sometimes its difficult to go against the grain and say something that might not be popular, but needs to be said nevertheless, even if at the expense of being ridiculed for no other reason but for saying the truth. So, a certain amount of courage are needed. If I was here to simply blend in with the plethora of , " East- West, Rafiq is best " type of supporters, I would be doing a disservice to myself and BC in general. Among the drumbeats for the head of JO, Ha Ba and pilot, we have totally ignored the downslide of another stalwart, though he still can play for another year or two, even at this diminished standard. Every negative thing that I said about Rafiq - the individual- still stands.

Beamer
July 9, 2007, 02:26 PM
Time to focus on the Third test.

Adios - this thread...

akabir77
July 9, 2007, 02:54 PM
Beamer Bhai I think you have a point don't get me wrong but you stated that in a wrong thread in a wrong time. Like some said here yes he might not be the best but when his relative is sick there is no point making him play. even most strict of companies will give you sick leave or some thing if you don't have anymore leaves and they won't make you fill up tons of paper work for that even if they think the guy is faking it. now if he does that again then may be the company will take action. now so far to my knowledge Rafiq never used his son's sickness as an excuse. So we and BCB should give him the benefit of doubt. that's all.

Fazal
July 9, 2007, 03:16 PM
... ya my collegue's only kid ( in this case its a cute little dog ) was sick and she took three days off in the middle of the project crunch time with a last moment message in my boss's voice mail....and my boss even didn't dared to question her ....

Dhruvo
July 9, 2007, 03:44 PM
This is not a good management bcb should let him go ,anyway hope his son gets well before the ODI series.

reyme
July 9, 2007, 04:04 PM
I agree with you guys what kind of management is this

The kind of management who does not how to manage. How can they (I dont think anyone one of those BCB official has a MBA from a good school)? Let them manage a club team, they will mess that up too. I have a feeling their children can do better, since at they wont be biased to induvidials.
Rafique is tired, homesick, child is sick and needs a well deserve break from cricket. His presence in the team wont do any good.

Baundule
July 10, 2007, 01:39 AM
That sounds good. Participants must take an IQ test before the tournament though. For your benefit, we will lower the entry score to single digits , so you can play.

:)Public!:-D
These days, emotionless Robots seem to have Double digit IQ.:lol: