PDA

View Full Version : Lara, Sachin....Ashraful?

roaring tigerz
July 8, 2007, 03:40 AM
Did you read Ian Chappell's article Joining the Immortals (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/extracover/content/current/story/301227.html)? He mentions Ashraful as one of the potential superstars of the next decade. Following is an excerpt from that piece

"Ashraful is an interesting case; he has loads of talent and the ability to thrill crowds with his daring stroke play. He's only just approaching his twenty third birthday despite debuting in 2001 and he's also been burdened with the captaincy of an over-matched team. Nevertheless, judging by his latest Test century, the captaincy may provide the inspiration to bring much-needed maturity to his batting, making him a standout performer in a beleaguered Bangladesh outfit."

Sohel
July 8, 2007, 03:56 AM
Ian Chappell ajaira kotha koyna. Ash with be there with atleast 25 centuries by the time he retires. But joining the likes of Lara (genius), Tendy (talent and hard work), and Ponting (talent and harder work)? That's a whole other level only Sanga and KP are likely to reach.

May Ash prove me wrong about getting into the 30+ test hundreds club.

Rabz
July 8, 2007, 03:59 AM
Nice article....

well, it remains on Ash to prove his worthiness...
enough has been said about him already.

WarWolf
July 8, 2007, 04:04 AM
Nice read. Nothing to be excited. Everything depends on Ash. Hope he will prove himself worthy.

Surfer
July 8, 2007, 07:33 AM
Chappell is just trying to find potential superstars of the future. Ashraful definitely is in the race.

Warlock
July 8, 2007, 08:04 AM
Ash is getting Chappell's comments because he has just scored a century. To be a great player, let alone someone like Sachin or Lara, he will need to do it more often. Then he will get good words from Chappell and everyone all the time.

Sovik
July 8, 2007, 08:08 AM
ashraful is the most talented batsman of our team. but if he could choose his shots carefully he will be a great for sure.

zahid
July 8, 2007, 08:25 AM
Not the words " NEXT DECADE "

Aritro
July 8, 2007, 09:22 AM
I'll be satisfied if he becomes the next Michael Atherton to be honest.

Baundule
July 8, 2007, 09:26 AM
Please some one tell Ashraful about this comment so that we can get another 10 single digit score from the going to join the greats.

Pure Rubbish. It's performance that matters; not getting praise from whoever-it-is. Vinod Kambli even with his terrific start of career is completely lost! Ash has done nothing so far to be named in the same list as the greats. He is not yet comparable even to the fringe players of other test playing nations, bar Zimbabwe may be.

Shafin
July 8, 2007, 09:35 AM
If he wants to make it,he will have to abandon this Eid habit.

Kabir
July 8, 2007, 09:48 AM
If he wants to make it,he will have to abandon this Eid habit.

Absolutely.

However, he's right about noticing the will to do well as a captain. In a TC interview with Ashraful, he mentioned that himself...that if he has to keep his position as a captain without much objections, he has to do well himself first, and then he can think of others to do well.

It's not too late for Ashraful yet. I think he's going to be the only one to be previleged to learn at the job...not his skills, but his temperament. He's got about 12 to 15 more years of cricket in him. He'll be at least 100+ opportunities to prove his worth by then.

sadi
July 8, 2007, 09:54 AM
He has played only two tests as a captain. It is too early to come to any conclusion about him handling the pressure well or vice versa. However, I agree he has the potential and sky is the limit for him.

Kabir
July 8, 2007, 09:58 AM
He has played only two tests as a captain. It is too early to come to any conclusion about him handling the pressure well or vice versa.

It's not the ability to handle the pressure, but the ability to motivate himself to think that he should play in a way that other players can learn from him. And not to mention, the "rare" ability to think that his position as a captain isn't a given constant...he must earn it every single series.

JamesBond
July 8, 2007, 10:00 AM
Why is he reffering our team to a "over-matched team", i hate "chapel" brothers

Aritro
July 8, 2007, 10:02 AM
I've seen enough evidence during those two tests to suggest that he's still very much susceptible to moments of rank stupidity. If one of those two consecutive reverse sweeps he attempted against Murali had have got him out, this forum would have seen approxiamately 87932423 angry threads berating him.

Similarly, if that silly paddle sweep he tried when he was on 80 in the second test had got him out, we'd be lamenting on how little he's developed as oppposed to how much.

And that's before I even mention the way he went out hooking in the first innings of the first test when they'd put a man on the fence for that exact reason.

In spite of all that, he actually showed a bit more patience than he normally used to.

Kabir
July 8, 2007, 10:06 AM
No one is saying that he showed COMPLETE determination. Hell no. Complete determination is an art...and he has to master it. It's not that he can go to an art store and by it by kgs.

In the past two Tests, he showed that he's determined to be completely determined.

Aritro
July 8, 2007, 10:12 AM
Why is he reffering our team to a "over-matched team", i hate "chapel" brothers

Because that's what we are...

Aritro
July 8, 2007, 10:12 AM
In the past two Tests, he showed that he's determined to be completely determined.

It's a start I suppose

mali007
July 8, 2007, 10:17 AM
If Sachin, Lara ,Ponting were in a weak team like BD, do you think they would had been so successful as they are right now !! For consistent performances you need a solid batting line up ------especially to score century you need a partnership. For Ash.'s recent century he got ample support from Mushy , if not Ash. would ended not out with out century !!! Moreover , when you go to bat when team is down badly like 25 for 4 for most of the time , mentally you don't have enough strength to bat and thats happening to Ashraful most of the times !! I think we should give Ash. more credits than Sachin, Lara and Ponting for performing in unfriendly situations.

Ahmed_B
July 8, 2007, 10:18 AM
:)
Whatever Ash may do in the future.... at present he has surely been able to put the cricits/writers/fans in a BIG BIG dilemma! One moment he plays like a stupid and everyone mocks him and writes him off.. and the next moment he tears apart the best bowling of the world and even Boycotts mom starts to praise him!

One thing is very sure is that like his own form... peoples opinion about him has remained confused and inconsistant between the best and the worst!

Now thats called Charisma! ;)

WarWolf
July 8, 2007, 11:01 AM
He has played only two tests as a captain. It is too early to come to any conclusion about him handling the pressure well or vice versa. However, I agree he has the potential and sky is the limit for him.
He says that he likes to take challange. Quoting from his interview with TC
I challenge myself against Sri Lanka. They talk a lot in the field and actually that makes me more determined to show something. I also enjoy the challenge posed by Murali. I say to myself that I won’t let him beat my bat.
This means he plays well when he is under pressure. I see a bright future of him as a captaining performer as he has to be under pressure every moment as a captain.

Nafis_BD
July 8, 2007, 11:26 AM
Nice read. Nothing to be excited. Everything depends on Ash. Hope he will prove himself worthy.

What I was going to say!!!

One World
July 8, 2007, 11:40 AM
"With its insatiable appetite, the game has a habit of suddenly spawning rising stars" and surprisingly he did not discuss SA, Aus or Srilanka. The thread title is very misleading and #21 clearly expresses the gist of this article. For #20 I would like to mention that Tatendu Taibu and going a little down Steve Tikolo did not require much help from the team or partners to perform and establish their class and abilities in international arena. #10 has another example where it becomes clearer that perform and exercise truism to your profession and that only can bring you the fruit of being a part of legendary performances.

esteban_loaiza
July 8, 2007, 11:47 AM
Who really cares as long as our team is losing the way it is losing?

Braveheart
July 8, 2007, 11:57 AM
LOL! I said the same thing almost a year ago on this forum. I said Ashraful has the capability to be like Lara. He has the natural talent that is needed. People in this forum just tore me apart for even mentioning his name in the same line as Lara's. Ash was sort of out of form at that time. But, it was obvious for me as you can just tell what a genious he is as a batsmen. Same can be said about Aftab. Only if they just become a bit more consistent the cricket world would look at them as Godsends. Now Ian Chappelle validates my argument. YAY!

al Furqaan
July 8, 2007, 12:02 PM
Ian Chappell ajaira kotha koyna. Ash with be there with atleast 25 centuries by the time he retires. But joining the likes of Lara (genius), Tendy (talent and hard work), and Ponting (talent and harder work)? That's a whole other level only Sanga and KP are likely to reach.

don't really see the difference between 25 tons and 30 - a bit of luck perhaps.

but i think, ash has all the talent and shots to be anyone he wants to be. the only question is does he have the willpower to become what he can?

believe me when i say this: ashraful has the talent to not just be another tendulkar, lara, inzy or ponting; he can transcend them.

but at the exact same time (for right now), i'll be glad if he can just be a shiv chanderpaul.

rah
July 8, 2007, 12:10 PM
if he does want it den he is going to have to step up in his batting. we all know wot he is capable of but comments like these arent good at the moment for him first just let himm boost up his consistency

cricman
July 8, 2007, 12:45 PM
Who really cares as long as our team is losing the way it is losing?

The more 100's he gets, our chances of drawing tests and winning tests will increase. Outta his 4 100's we had a chance to draw the 158* test had we gotten those 11 runs to avoid follow on or Aleem Dar poor decisions. And the 136 Test we had real chance to win I mean we Tied with them in our second innings with 9 wickets in hand.

Of Course just look at SN's 100 vs Australia it helped us make a good score and it put pressure on Australia when they had to bat.

mali007
July 8, 2007, 03:56 PM
"With its insatiable appetite, the game has a habit of suddenly spawning rising stars" and surprisingly he did not discuss SA, Aus or Srilanka. The thread title is very misleading and #21 clearly expresses the gist of this article. For #20 I would like to mention that Tatendu Taibu and going a little down Steve Tikolo did not require much help from the team or partners to perform and establish their class and abilities in international arena. #10 has another example where it becomes clearer that perform and exercise truism to your profession and that only can bring you the fruit of being a part of legendary performances.
Tikolo and Taibu's records are not noticeable against test playing countries. In his early career Taibu played with formidable Zimb. team.

Electrequiem
July 8, 2007, 04:30 PM
Ash is one of the best batsmen in the world. Once he omits some technical flaws in his style, he will be unstoppable.

One World
July 8, 2007, 05:43 PM
Tikolo and Taibu's records are not noticeable against test playing countries. In his early career Taibu played with formidable Zimb. team.

Taibu against Bangladesh

unfiltered 24 1273 153 29.60 1 9 1 1/27 27.00 0 48 4
filtered 4 447 153 89.40 1 4 - - - - 14 2

Taibu had good time against India, Pakistan, West Indies and if you may Bangladesh. As I look into his career stats its not so impressive but enough solid for a lower ranked test nation to keep up the good work.

Ashraful against depleted Zim

19 4 caught 1 W 1st Test v Zim in BD 2004/05 at Chittagong (MAA) [1733 (http://statserver.cricket.org/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/ZIM_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/ZIM_BDESH_T1_06-10JAN2005.html)]
22 4 caught wk 3
5 4 lbw 2 D 2nd Test v Zim in BD 2004/05 at Dhaka [1735 (http://statserver.cricket.org/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/ZIM_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/ZIM_BDESH_T2_14-18JAN2005.html)]
3 4 caught 4

Tikolo was mentioned because,

<TABLE class=engineTable><TBODY><TR class=data1><TD class=left noWrap>ODIs</TD><TD>96</TD><TD>93</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>2623</TD><TD>111</TD><TD>30.50</TD><TD>3537</TD><TD>74.15</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>51</TD><TD>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
(healthy average right)

I would rather follow Vass's comment about not too pamper the performances of our player. Time has not reached yet. While all Srilanka's top order, middle and lower order are making hundreds and double hundreds one century from a BD player should not get so much applause.

cricman
July 8, 2007, 05:54 PM
Ash would have 3 double centuries if we had some competent batsmen, Ash will be in the top tier of his generation when career ends, he's gonna be our Flower, De Silva and Atherton (England was once really bad). Right now hate to say it w/o Aftab & Tamim in the Test Arena were a two man Band

ASA
July 8, 2007, 06:47 PM
We all know he HAS the talent ... question is, if he HAS the concentration and determination to use it!

cricket_king
July 8, 2007, 10:39 PM
I'll be satisfied if he becomes the next Michael Atherton to be honest.

So.....you want him to become one of the most boring players of the century?

sadi
July 8, 2007, 11:29 PM

Sure why not if he can hold one side like Atherton did and score like he did. Style diye ki pani khabo? I rather have some boring but effective cricketers who actually know how to play test matches and have solid defense.

Rifat
July 8, 2007, 11:59 PM
Sure why not if he can hold one side like Atherton did and score like he did. Style diye ki pani khabo? I rather have some boring but effective cricketers who actually know how to play test matches and have solid defense.

i hope all bangladeshi players take these words to their dear hearts

kalpurush
July 9, 2007, 12:22 AM
:)
Whatever Ash may do in the future.... at present he has surely been able to put the cricits/writers/fans in a BIG BIG dilemma! One moment he plays like a stupid and everyone mocks him and writes him off.. and the next moment he tears apart the best bowling of the world and even Boycotts mom starts to praise him!

One thing is very sure is that like his own form... peoples opinion about him has remained confused and inconsistant between the best and the worst!

Now thats called Charisma! ;)

Ahmed bhai....khati sotti kotha bolechen....:saint:

cricket_king
July 9, 2007, 03:33 AM

Dude, it's ashraful. We can't have him change into some boring gumbie player. Leave that for others like rajin and belim.

Aritro
July 9, 2007, 03:58 AM

No, I obviously want him to acquire an Athertonesque ability hold a fragile batting order together and deliver crucial runs at important stages.

That's clearly a far more realistic forecast than one that sees him placed in the same bracket as Lara and Sachin, as suggested in the thread title.

Why make a smartarse comment for absolutely no reason?

Sohel
July 9, 2007, 04:04 AM
al Furquaan- I pray to God you're right.

cricket_king
July 9, 2007, 04:08 AM
No, I obviously want him to acquire an Athertonesque ability hold a fragile batting order together and deliver crucial runs at important stages.

That's clearly a far more realistic forecast than one that sees him placed in the same bracket as Lara and Sachin, as suggested in the thread title.

Why make a smartarse comment for absolutely no reason?

Chillax mate. I asked you a direct question. I didn't make any smartarse comments.

Aritro
July 9, 2007, 04:09 AM
Dude, it's ashraful. We can't have him change into some boring gumbie player. Leave that for others like rajin and belim.

We can expect him to realise that the batting usually rests on his performances, and therefore for him to stop doing idiotic things like playing a hook shot when there's two blokes on the fence.

And Atherton at his peak was a world class batsman who played some superb innings for England. 'Describing him as a 'boring gumbie player' is at best, a slightly unflattering assessment of his abilities, and at worst, complete nonsense.

Aritro
July 9, 2007, 04:10 AM
Chillax mate. I asked you a direct question. I didn't make any smartarse comments.

No worries.

PoorFan
July 9, 2007, 04:19 AM
More I hear these type of comments on Ash, more I feel like :hairpull:

Only Ash can help himself, us and those in the cricket world who see Ash in the line ( a bit ) of Lara and Tendu.

cricket_king
July 9, 2007, 04:28 AM
We can expect him to realise that the batting usually rests on his performances, and therefore for him to stop doing idiotic things like playing a hook shot when there's two blokes on the fence.

And Atherton at his peak was a world class batsman who played some superb innings for England. 'Describing him as a 'boring gumbie player' is at best, a slightly unflattering assessment of his abilities, and at worst, complete nonsense.

I've got a feeling someone doesn't like me :o
And the way you feel about me is the same way i feel about atherton.

One more thing buddy: Bangladesh is not England. We focus on all forms of cricket. The only difference is that we are horrendous at one form. Bangladesh plays with flair - and i'd hate for that to change.

Sohel
July 9, 2007, 05:02 AM
Reality check (I'm really not trying to be trollish or smug here): Ash just turned 23 guys, still 4 years away from beginning to reach his theoritical peak.

For the record: I for one like both Arito and cricket_king.

nzfan
July 9, 2007, 05:12 AM
cricketing peak sohel? thats when most start playing international level best is around 30-31

Sohel
July 9, 2007, 05:18 AM
cricketing peak sohel? thats when most start playing international level best is around 30-31

Agreed. I said beginning to ...

Beamer
July 9, 2007, 03:15 PM

One ton a year ( at least ) from now on, till he is say mid-thirties, will get him close to 20 centuries, as it stands now. But, no one knows about this guy. He may reach close to 25-30 centuries, or might end up with 10! I have an inkling that sometime in the future he will have one golden year, like Yousuf ( last year ) or Ponting and Kallis before that, where he will rack up five-six tons in one year. If he can do that, he will reach that 25-30 goal and will more than make up for the early twenty years.

He has a 98 in Zim and a very patient 87 ( or 86 ) in WI. Even with those near misses, he should have racked up at least 10 tons by now. Hope for the best. Yes, I agree, Chappel doesn't BS identifying talents. He thinks of him that highly that he forgot to mention his compatriot Michael Clarke ( everybodys favorite ), A B De Villiers, A Cook and a few other young talents across the world.

betaar
July 9, 2007, 04:36 PM
He thinks of him that highly that he forgot to mention his compatriot Michael Clarke ( everybodys favorite ), A B De Villiers, A Cook and a few other young talents across the world.

I think it's more to fill the quota (since nobody from Bangladesh is even remotely close to be included), almost like an affirmative action. :sick:

shovon13
July 9, 2007, 06:54 PM
I think it's more to fill the quota (since nobody from Bangladesh is even remotely close to be included), almost like an affirmative action. :sick:

well, he failed to pick anyone from zimbabwe, west indies, or new zealand.

betaar
July 9, 2007, 09:00 PM

knew that was coming....:-|

Murad
July 9, 2007, 09:17 PM

i don't see anyone in NZ, WI or Zimb with so much talents like Lara n Tendu.. Ashraful is more talended.batsmen.. he has too too many shots in his books.... What he's lacking is consistency.. when he will get it.. he will be unstoppable player...

WarWolf
July 10, 2007, 01:38 AM
i don't see anyone in NZ, WI or Zimb with so much talents like Lara n Tendu.. Ashraful is more talended.batsmen.. he has too too many shots in his books.... What he's lacking is consistency.. when he will get it.. he will be unstoppable player...
Along with shots and very good techque, he has elegance in his style which reminds about greats.

Aritro
July 10, 2007, 01:53 AM
I've got a feeling someone doesn't like me :o
And the way you feel about me is the same way i feel about atherton.

One more thing buddy: Bangladesh is not England. We focus on all forms of cricket. The only difference is that we are horrendous at one form. Bangladesh plays with flair - and i'd hate for that to change.

You caught me on a bad day, sorry if I came across unduly rude.

No one wants Ashraful to stop playing with flair, but the point was, he needs to stop doing the utterly moronic things he's done his entire career and kept doing even during this series. Playing reverse sweeps against Murali on consecutive balls, and popping up easy catches to square leg with the exact hook shot the player was placed there for are unforgivable mistakes.

As for the Atherton/Ashraful comparision, I'm not foolish enough to expect Ashraful to turn himself into a dour no-frills sort of cricket, but I do expect him to develop an Atherton-esque ability to hold an innings together and deliver big innings at crucial times.

Atherton, no matter what you think of his style, was an excellent batsman during his pomp and someone Ash would do well to use as an example.

Aritro
July 10, 2007, 01:55 AM
Reality check (I'm really not trying to be trollish or smug here): Ash just turned 23 guys, still 4 years away from beginning to reach his theoritical peak.

For the record: I for one like both Arito and cricket_king.

I know how old he is, but other players have been pretty handy performers at a similar age. Having said that, different people develop at different stages, so there's still time.

Either way, he's never going to be a Tendulkar or a Lara but I'll be very satisfied if he reaches Atherton's level. cricket_king seemed to construe this as a sign that I want Ashraful to take the flare out of his game, which I never remotely suggested.

cricket_king
July 10, 2007, 02:00 AM
You caught me on a bad day, sorry if I came across unduly rude.

No one wants Ashraful to stop playing with flair, but the point was, he needs to stop doing the utterly moronic things he's done his entire career and kept doing even during this series. Playing reverse sweeps against Murali on consecutive balls, and popping up easy catches to square leg with the exact hook shot the player was placed there for are unforgivable mistakes.

As for the Atherton/Ashraful comparision, I'm not foolish enough to expect Ashraful to turn himself into a dour no-frills sort of cricket, but I do expect him to develop an Atherton-esque ability to hold an innings together and deliver big innings at crucial times.

Atherton, no matter what you think of his style, was an excellent batsman during his pomp and someone Ash would do well to use as an example.

No worries buddy.
Guess i didn't quite understand what you meant. And you're right - ashraful still plays irresponsible cricket even after his rise to captaincy. Ashraful with and atherton-esque ability to hold on to his wicket for dear life? We can all dream can't we? ;)

Aritro
July 10, 2007, 02:01 AM
One ton a year ( at least ) from now on, till he is say mid-thirties, will get him close to 20 centuries, as it stands now. But, no one knows about this guy. He may reach close to 25-30 centuries, or might end up with 10! I have an inkling that sometime in the future he will have one golden year, like Yousuf ( last year ) or Ponting and Kallis before that, where he will rack up five-six tons in one year. If he can do that, he will reach that 25-30 goal and will more than make up for the early twenty years.

He has a 98 in Zim and a very patient 87 ( or 86 ) in WI. Even with those near misses, he should have racked up at least 10 tons by now. Hope for the best. Yes, I agree, Chappel doesn't BS identifying talents. He thinks of him that highly that he forgot to mention his compatriot Michael Clarke ( everybodys favorite ), A B De Villiers, A Cook and a few other young talents across the world.

I can't believe he forgot Alistair Cook to be honest. Genuinely outstanding young cricketer and it wouldn't surprise me if he reaches 10,000 runs (barring unforseen hurdles).

Protic
July 10, 2007, 06:54 AM
Yeh.. =) Ian praised Ashraful during the world cup too..
I just hope Ash really gets the spice with the captaincy.

Gowza
July 15, 2007, 03:39 AM
Ashraful definately has a good amount of talent, but becoming a great is a tough ask for anyone in the bangladesh team atm. until there is consistent solid play from the whole team certainly from a batting perspective it will be tough for a player to be given enough time to consistently get a century. even if a player is in good form they still need someone down the other end of the pitch to be able to get the runs. but if anyone in the bangladesh team can do it, ashraful can.

Sovik
July 15, 2007, 06:06 AM
lack of temperament will take him no where. its painfull to watch waste of a talent. sooner he realises his role in the team it will be better for him.