PDA

View Full Version : Mahela was Right: Ash and Musy Tell Biswajit from DS

Sohel
July 8, 2007, 03:44 AM
From the Daily Star, link: http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/07/08/d70708040430.htm

'Mahela was right'
Bishwajit Roy from Colombo

This time Bangladesh got two extra off-days after the second Test but definitely it was not happy leisure for the Tigers after the way Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene put them in their place.

The Lankan skipper reminded everyone that one or two individual efforts meant nothing if a team lost the game inside three days. After playing seven years at this level, it was hard to be excited with a hundred because now the team's overall performance is equally important.

That was the reason nobody tried to focus much on Ashraful's unbeaten hundred and Mushfiqur Rahim's valiant 80. Rather, everyone was trying to find the solution of both first innings debacles.

"It is true. What can we say about his comments when we lost the game inside three days? It's really a bad feeling to practice in the nets and take rest when we are supposed to be in the ground," admitted Bangladesh captain Ashraful, who had a quiet 23rd birthday. There was no party as he spent most of the day in his hotel room.

"I agree with him (Jayawardene) that we should be more competitive in Test cricket. I can recall how excited I was when I made 158 against India at Chittagong although the team lost inside three days. But now I have hardly any excitement although the century has given me confidence to do better in the third Test," said the pocket-sized dynamo.

Ashraful however was not ready to accept criticism from his counterpart about his batting position in the second innings.

"True the best batsman should prefer to bat at the top of the order and number six is not an ideal place for me. You know, I also love to bat at four or five but we promoted Mehrab considering his ability as an opener. My desire was to start the third day afresh although finally I had to come out on the second day. He (Mahela) has every right to criticise me but what we did it due to the team's interest," he said.

Middle-order batsman Tushar Imran joined the team yesterday and is expected to play the third Test at Kandy starting from July 11 but the new Bangladesh captain was not ready to see his inclusion as a rescue act.

"Efforts from one or two batsmen would not be enough. The entire top-order should click if we want to survive in the first innings. I must say our tail-enders' batting was also pathetic. So there is no scope for us to focus on one or two people," he explained.

Young Rahim also echoed his captain's remarks about the comment made by Jayawardene.

"I don't find anything wrong in Mahela's comments. I think we are responsible in giving him a chance for making this kind of comments. What we did in the end as a team is more important than one or two individual successes," said young wicketkeeper Rahim, who made his maiden Test half-century in a crisis moment.

"How can we expect that someone praises us after we lost the game inside three days? If we really want to give Mahela (Jayawardene) an answer, then we should improve our performance. If not, then not only Mahela, but also everyone will criticise us. What I feel is that we should bat well in the first innings if we want to play competitive cricket in the third Test," Rahim observed.

The 18-year-old stumper from Bogra, who is all set to make his place in the side permanent for both versions of the game, expressed his satisfaction over his batting in the second innings but said that it would have been much better if he had got the hundred.

"I'm happy because I got my first Test half-century but a fifty is not good enough in Test cricket. I am looking forward to something big which will help my team a lot in the end," said the little man."

Cool kids.

Sadz
July 8, 2007, 04:25 AM
Thanks a lot for the post Sohel Bhai, good find.

Nocturnal
July 8, 2007, 05:02 AM
Good read. Thanks for sharing Sohel bhai.

Sumon77
July 8, 2007, 05:53 AM
nice reading... good commnets from Mushy.

Shafin
July 8, 2007, 10:21 AM
The new U-19 bunch is surely a lot more articulate when it comes to speaking to the press.Mushfiq,Shakib,both of them showed it.

Kabir
July 8, 2007, 10:30 AM
The 18-year-old stumper from Bogra, who is all set to make his place in the side permanent for both versions of the game, expressed his satisfaction over his batting in the second innings but said that it would have been much better if he had got the hundred.

Mashallah :clap:

One World
July 8, 2007, 12:11 PM
Youth rules.

Tigers_eye
July 10, 2007, 02:21 PM
Youth rules.
How come Faruque don't know this? What about Atahar? And Akram Khan who is with the team? I can't even imagine the ODI performers Sakib, Razzak, Rasel got only 1 test in a 3 test series. Rasel did shine last time in the SL yet wasn't picked in the first two tests. Non-performer continues to milk and hurt our team just by being in the locker room. Can't blame the non-performer any more. The entire blame is on the selectors who select him. Poor Mehrab plays in the middle order yet was selected in the team as an opener, pathetic planning. Then put in as a middle order lol. Now dropped. I am sure they can't make up their minds what to do with him.

Electrequiem
July 10, 2007, 02:43 PM
How come Faruque don't know this? What about Atahar? And Akram Khan who is with the team? I can't even imagine the ODI performers Sakib, Razzak, Rasel got only 1 test in a 3 test series. Rasel did shine last time in the SL yet wasn't picked in the first two tests. Non-performer continues to milk and hurt our team just by being in the locker room. Can't blame the non-performer any more. The entire blame is on the selectors who select him. Poor Mehrab plays in the middle order yet was selected in the team as an opener, pathetic planning. Then put in as a middle order lol. Now dropped. I am sure they can't make up their minds what to do with him.

Maybe the selectors need to drop themselves?

betaar
July 10, 2007, 04:55 PM
Maybe the selectors need to drop themselves?

yeah, I think we need to pick selectors who are U-19 also.:-p

Foozy
July 10, 2007, 08:26 PM
Sohel... bro that was the first news after sooooo many days that actually felt good to read...
thanx alot!!!
hope mushy and ash can prove themselves once again in the 3rd test... and hope the rest of the team also starts getting their flow bak.... especially nafees since he got selected again....
this time... i really am not for bashar... this is just goin overboard... i really thought they would rest him... but this was purely idiotic!!!... if he proves me wrong... ill b happy for him.. but either ways... the selectors are just further proving themselves to be bullys... who are messing around with all hte players and totally destroying their natural flow of the game....
anyways.. good luck bd!!!! hopefully every1 will shine and we can all b happy once again!!!
-special prayers for mushy and ash!!!!... and a keen interest on tushar... and rajin... hope he clicks again.. coz hes been a constant performer!!!

Antora
July 10, 2007, 11:01 PM
yeah, I think we need to pick selectors who are U-19 also.:-p

omg pick me!!!!:D

One World
July 10, 2007, 11:09 PM
omg pick me!!!!:D

Try it. The women's team are supposed to face UAE today.

Sohel
July 10, 2007, 11:13 PM
Try it. The women's team are supposed to face UAE today.

Go Baghinir Dol ... link: http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/07/11/d70711040537.htm

Sohel
July 10, 2007, 11:19 PM
From The Daily Star, link: http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/07/11/d70711040133.htm

"Ash happy at No. 5
Bishwajit Roy from Kandy

If anybody takes Sri Lankan skipper Mahela Jayewardene's recent observations about the batting order of Bangladesh into account and expects it to be reflected in the third and final Test, he is making a mistake.

At least he can be rest assured that Mahela's Bangladesh counterpart Mohammad Ashraful is not going to entertain the concept of 'the best batsmen should bat up the order' when Bangladesh launch their one last challenge to end the first-innings batting blues at Kandy's Asgiriya Stadium today.

After winning the second Test in Colombo inside three days, Mahela questioned why Bangladesh's two top batsmen -- Habibul Bashar and Ashraful -- came to bat at number five and six respectively when the match was all but over following the quick demise of the top-order.

"Habibul and Ashraful are the most experience guys in the top order but surprisingly they came to bat at number five and six when the job had almost been done. No doubt it helped us a lot because the least experienced guys were clueless against our bowlers," the Lankan skipper told the reporters at the Asgiriya Stadium yesterday.

"Team's best batsman should take the responsibility and must show the courage to go up the order to stop early collapses as well shaping the foundation to be more competitive," he said.

"I do agree that in every team the best batsman should bat at number three or four but I feel comfortable batting at number five. I batted at number six in the last match under special circumstances. And the fact is that I feel comfortable against Murali that's why I think it's better for me to bat at number five. But I'm not afraid of taking the challenge of batting up the order," said Ashraful.

Ashraful is arguably the best batsman in the Bangladesh ranks and it raised a few eyebrows when he batted at number six in the second innings of the second Test.

Although he made a hundred, it was a little too late to avoid yet another innings defeat. The 23-year-old even had expressed his disappointment for running out of partners after young wicketkeeper Mushfiqur Rahim was dismissed shortly after the tea break on the third day and Bangladesh lost their last five wickets in a whisker.

People blamed former Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore for batting Ashraful down the order, but now he can easily take up the challenge with a bigger responsibility on his shoulders. However it seemed Ashraful resorted to a defensive approach against a team he struck three of his four Test hundreds.

"Rajin is good against the new ball that's why he batted at number three. Besides, we thought that there should be someone who can recover the early damage," said Ashraful while defending his decision.

Ashraful however dismissed his counterpart's claim that most of the Bangladeshi players looked relaxed in the middle and they were not feisty enough to occupy the crease.

"I don't think we got relaxed and it's also not true that we lacked seriousness. If he (Mahela) meant we tried to enjoy the game then I am happy with that. I know it's a tough ride and nothing could be achieved overnight. Sri Lanka also couldn't achieve anything overnight," he said.

About the inclusion of Tushar Imran, the new Bangladesh captain expressed his guarded optimism.

"He is a good player but we should be careful about expectations because he has joined the team in the middle of the tour. Mehrab's omission is a bit unfortunate but he will definitely be back. We were forced to bring Tushar after Shakib (Al Hasan) failed to fulfil our expectation although he is very good player," he explained."

The reliable grapevine has it that Ash wanted Alok (Alok Kapali) instead of Tushy (Tushar Imran) as was hinted in one of the recent reports from Sri Lanka. Also, he's clearly not thrilled about Orion (Mehrab Hossain Jr.) being dropped like that.

Warlock
July 10, 2007, 11:22 PM
Sohel, this is one MUST READ post! Thanks mate. Good to see a meaningful thread among too many pointless threads these days.
Ash and Mush's attitude says it all. Though I am very frustrated by the teams performance, seeing the players echoing the same sentiments- I believe they are going in the right direction.
It may take another five years to win a test against the big teams. But if we keep on doing better (even if it means just a tiny bit of progress each time) I will be happy. Winning counts, but steady performance comes first!

Antora
July 10, 2007, 11:27 PM
thnx for the article sohel bhaiya!! u rock!!!

rah
July 11, 2007, 01:21 PM
Youth rules.

BANG BANG