PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Dave Houghton-shortlisted for the job of Bangladesh Cricket Coach

oracle
July 8, 2007, 01:29 PM
I have spoken to Mr Dave Houghton who is shortlisted as coach for Bangladesh. Dave has agreed to share his thoughts about cricket and his feelings about possible cricket career with Bangladesh.

He was the coach for Derbyshire, a team that has 2 well known names Simon Katich and Boyd Rankin.

Please feel free to post your questions so as to get to know him better. Keep it simple. I would suggest a quick read of his bio and links.

Thanks guys.

Information links:

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/player/55497.html

Dave Houghton is one of Zimbabwe's best two batsmen in their short Test history, alongside Andy Flower. Houghton hit 121 in Zimbabwe's inaugural Test, against India at Harare in 1992-93, and cracked 266 - his country's highest Test score so far - against Sri Lanka at Bulawayo in 1994-95. Zimbabwe's first Test captain, Houghton has an exceptional cricket brain that helped him become national coach after a spell in charge at Worcestershire. As a batsman he had the ability to play either long, defensive innings or shorter, attacking ones, and he was a brilliant player of spin, but equally adept against pace. He started life as a wicketkeeper, but became a top-class slip fielder too, possibly helped by his time as Zimbabwe's hockey goalkeeper.

Derbyshire Cricket:
http://www.derbyshireccc.com/servlets/template?FILE=index&navid=100

cricman
July 8, 2007, 01:36 PM
How would he compare Bangladesh Cricket 6 years into being a Full Member to Zimbabwe Cricket in it's infant stages in both forms of the games.

WarWolf
July 8, 2007, 01:38 PM
How would he deal with the inconstency problem of our batsmen?

Ahmed_B
July 8, 2007, 02:04 PM
Oracle bhai... your forum-nick should rather have been 'Miracle' for getting hold of one big shot after another!!! :)

Here goes my curiosity about Houghton: "From your observation about BD team... what are the core reasons for which the job of Coaching this Bangladesh team might look promising for an international coach?" ... in other words: How much prospect do you see in the team and what can be the difficulties with coaching this team?

Kabir
July 8, 2007, 02:24 PM
I would like to see how well informed about Bangladesh cricket he is. So I would suggest specific question about our domestic structure or something. That will test two things. 1) An idea of how much homework he has done about Bangladesh cricket. 2) If he gets that right, his insights about the current structure, and how he would like to see it 5 years from now.

No questions on these, but I know some of these questions will be asked in any case.

oracle
July 8, 2007, 02:32 PM
His knowledge of Bangladesh will not be first hand or comparable to Mciness. This may or may not be a disadvantage.

Let's think about it. Remember that he also has had aquaintance with Eddie Barlow and shared alot of ideas. Barlow happened to be the best thing to happen to Bangladesh Cricket since cricket bats started arriving even in Bengal? (say 1800's)

I would like to present questions that stimulate his thoughts about tactics and nurturing. For example, about his players in Derbyshire especially Rankin and how his experiences there or in Zimbabwe will help our fast bowlers?

Kabir
July 8, 2007, 02:45 PM
His knowledge of Bangladesh will not be first hand or comparable to Mciness. This may or may not be a disadvantage.

Absolutely. In terms of that, there's no one next to McInnes...and to some extent McInnes can beat Dav for his Bangla speaking abilities.

I just meant to ask about his knowledge of our cricket infrastructure. Does he have good knowledge on it? If he doesn't, then he may not be a good candidate. He has to have good knowledge about our infrastructure from before, to apply any of his techniques.

BD Tigers
July 8, 2007, 02:50 PM
Him being a batsman, how is he going to fix our batsmen's temparament?

AsifTheManRahman
July 8, 2007, 03:38 PM
If my memory isn't deceiving me, he was, for a while, player cum coach for the Zimbabwe national team. I remember watching him bat, too, back in the mid-nineties or so. I guess I would ask him to share some of that experience with us, and what it was like to play under the captaincy of someone else on the field while he was the boss off it. To what extent did he play a leadership role on the ground?

Tigers_eye
July 8, 2007, 10:09 PM
This is a very important for me to know.

Q. A Veteran player with lots of experience consistantly fails. How long can he hold on to a spot in a team where experience is next to nil?

Q. We have a domestic cricket (picnic cricket) where standard is very low. Therefore, our road to test spot comes from the under 19 teams to academy teams to A team to national team. If you get the head coaching job of BD, would you give chances to these young boys in TEST? If not, how long would you keep them away?

Q. Feedback is very important for any business or organization. Would you accept feedback on your future job too? Or would look at it as a critic?

Nafis_BD
July 8, 2007, 10:12 PM
Oracle bhaiya, you are amazing, how on earth do you get a hold of these guys?? Damn I forgot my question!! No problem it will come back to me!!!

max410
July 8, 2007, 10:58 PM
David has shown Interest in Bangladesh cricket, Bu ti prefer Australian Coach , Our Players can learn better technique and learn how to be consistent from Australian Coaches, Richard Maccines is a Better choice from My point of view.

cricket_pagol
July 8, 2007, 11:07 PM
oracle bhai, I look forward to that interview

kalpurush
July 9, 2007, 12:34 AM
This is a very important for me to know.

Q. A Veteran player with lots of experience consistantly fails. How long can he hold on to a spot in a team where experience is next to nil?

....khaisey....amader khomotachutto senapoti eiber nirghat dhopas....;)

rafiq
July 9, 2007, 12:42 AM
Is Houghton seriously considering moving to Bangladesh....and moving his family as well? It seems that the BCB is making a long process out of something straightforward....McInnes seems to be the front runner in everyone's mind although I don't really know which of these guys will be the better coach for BD....McInnes has the advantage in many ways. We should just hire him and get on with it.

No questions for Houghton but well done Oracle in tracking him down...

Shafin
July 9, 2007, 02:54 AM
1.If he is appointed,would he suggest fielding and bowling coaches to BCB?

2.How would he evaluate himself as a coach and as a person?

Miraz
July 9, 2007, 03:57 AM
Oracle bhai... your forum-nick should rather have been 'Miracle' for getting hold of one big shot after another!!! :)

Fully agreed. :D

Looking forward for another great interview.

Cricket46
July 9, 2007, 07:43 AM
I would like to know in simple terms, what he thinks are the main problems in Bangladesh as regards playing test matches and how would he resolve them? We have discussed these things many times, but as he might be the future coach, what would be his plans of addressing those issues? How long does he think would it take for us to be competitive?

zahid
July 9, 2007, 04:22 PM
Getting a Zimbo coach is the last thing that any of us want!

One World
July 9, 2007, 10:54 PM
Please rephrase if you think something similar can be a relevent question to ask:

To what extent his (bitter) experience with Derbyshire can help him analyse the technicalities of coaching a test playing national side and how he is planning to modify his approach with this job to become successful?

Thank you for this opportunity.

betaar
July 9, 2007, 11:07 PM
Though like most of the BC members I am all for McInnes, but since there's a thread to ask questions, here's mine:

1. How would he rate his own success as a coach?
2. Does he think that his personal experience (being part of a developing Zimbabew team) would have any positive effect on Bangladesh team?

Warlock
July 10, 2007, 02:20 AM
I disagree. Dave Houghton can teach us how to be mentally tough. That is what we need MOSTLY! Besides, he is a certified good coach, look at his records in the English county league. Lastly, getting a coach from Zim won't suck because our test team already sucks enough, we don't have the leisure to laugh at Zimbabwe. If anything we are closer to Zimbabwe than any other test teams.
My question to Dave Houghton would be- "What will be your plan to make our brittle batting side strong?" And "How do you think we can cope with the immenese pressure applied by the bigger teams in a test match and play competitively?"

cricket_king
July 10, 2007, 05:29 AM

What the hell is that supposed to mean? :waiting:

Mr Hook
July 10, 2007, 06:51 AM
I we are looking to improve our players mentally then we should be looking at getting sport psychologist not ex-player.

LateCut
July 10, 2007, 08:36 AM
1) He has not been successful at Derbyshire and, quite possibly, forced out. Why does he think he could be successful at BD?
2) He does not have subcontinental background. Deos it impare him as a BD coach?
3) BD batsmen are notoriously inept against fast/swinging bowlers. Where does the solution lie? More sporty pitches? More intenational engagements? Special development programs? Batting coach? Better competion (e.g. invite foreign teams to play in NCL)?

Dhruvo
July 10, 2007, 11:52 AM
1) He has not been successful at Derbyshire and, quite possibly, forced out. Why does he think he could be successful at BD?
2) He does not have subcontinental background. Deos this impar him as a BD coach?
3) BD batsmen are notoriously inept against fast/swinging bowlwers. Where does the solution lie? More sporty pitch? More intenational engagement? Special development program? Batting coach? Better competion (e.g. invite foreign teams in NCL)?

I agree

Bancan
July 10, 2007, 12:44 PM

I think you should stop talking on behalf of all of us.

My question is the same as Latecut's first question.

He has not been successful at Derbyshire and, quite possibly, forced out. Why does he think he could be successful at BD?