PDA

View Full Version : Ashraful thanking murali?

FaRHaN
July 19, 2007, 01:43 AM
all rite this sounds really stupid. Ashraful when they lost da final test by an innings and 193 runs and as murali got his 700 . he instead of congragulating him he sed ,'i wud lyk to thank murali" is he a damn or sth? why would you thank some one who just ruined your test series?

shehani
July 19, 2007, 01:55 AM
Ya!!! even i noticed it, actually he wanted to congratulate murali i guess....

FaRHaN
July 19, 2007, 01:57 AM
lol our cricketers jus dunno english ... and he is the captain!! damn man

shehani
July 19, 2007, 02:01 AM
Knowing English doesn't mean anything yaar..... I think Ashraful will be a good Cap for Bangladesh for sure.....

MysoreHuli
July 20, 2007, 07:19 AM
slip of the tongue i guess.....

Surfer
July 20, 2007, 09:17 AM
I dont think it matters at all. He is not expected to be a great communicator. As long as he plays good cricket with a good temperament, he is fine.

FaRHaN
July 20, 2007, 09:20 AM
i kno ...english dosent matter but just have to improve bcuz he is the flag bearer of bangladesh cricket and u kno wat i m talkin about rite?

Surfer
July 20, 2007, 09:58 AM
i kno ...english dosent matter but just have to improve bcuz he is the flag bearer of bangladesh cricket and u kno wat i m talkin about rite?

I exactly know what you are talking about. The captain of the team should know proper English. Otherwise sometimes serious miscommunications could happen.

We saw how the Pakistan team suffered in that Oval contro due to Inzamam's inability to understand the language. Its the unofficial language of the game and the captains, vice captains, managers and coaches should be proficient in it. The new Pakistani captain Shoaib Malik has already started taking English tuitions.

FaRHaN
July 20, 2007, 10:03 AM
yes ash should take english lessons as well

rah
July 20, 2007, 02:28 PM
ENGLISH LESSONS BETTA
no seriously u r representing 150 million people so y speak english. speak bengali and have a translator. all da asian team should do dis, cos i for one will hold on to ma mother tongue. i adore the pakistani team during the world cup fpr speakin urdu during all interviews. but if ash wants to speak english..atleast speak properly

Sadz
July 20, 2007, 02:37 PM
rah ENGLISH LESSONS BETTA
no seriously u r representing 150 million people so y speak english. speak bengali and have a translator. all da asian team should do dis, cos i for one will hold on to ma mother tongue. i adore the pakistani team during the world cup fpr speakin urdu during all interviews. but if ash wants to speak english..atleast speak properly

Thanku at least sum1 has respective views altough I would rather like him to follow Shoaib and take english lessons. he looks like a quick learner. he used to suck even more b4 if no1 knew. I dont like people bashing him so Farhan I knw u dnt mean to but wat he did was wat he did and opening a useless thread isnt going to change that.

Surfer
July 20, 2007, 07:54 PM
Thanku at least sum1 has respective views altough I would rather like him to follow Shoaib and take english lessons. he looks like a quick learner. he used to suck even more b4 if no1 knew. I dont like people bashing him so Farhan I knw u dnt mean to but wat he did was wat he did and opening a useless thread isnt going to change that.

Thats a strange statement. Opening a thread about even the last match isn't going to change anything either. In fact opening a thread about any Bangladesh cricket problems isn't going to change too many things. So why are we discussing things here?

I think the thread is less about what he did and more about a flag bearer's communication skills. If you look at it in the right perspective, its is an important issue on hand....if not the most important. Media forms a major part of today's cricketing structure and communication skills are important in today's world.

Faisal
July 20, 2007, 11:27 PM
can we stop bashing ashraful? our management sould look into this matter and get a tutor for ashraful. simple

jaymia
July 21, 2007, 10:01 AM
ha ha.., lol.., lack on english language, I told most of the people on a different tread this guy needs to learn some english before he had become the captain to the squad.., But hey who's gona listen me..!! : (
'Is it really true', is that what he said..???
LOL LOL

jaymia
July 21, 2007, 10:10 AM
..& who said 'slip of the tongue'?? slip of the tongue is mate when you say something and you just utter that word out, but then realising your mistake you go back to correcting it.., NOT with Ashraful, he probably took his time revising what he'd say during the speech ceromony.. and said just came with it - making no sense what so ever..!! if anything he made Bangladesh look like they delibrately wanted to lose the game to Murali..!!

Kabir
July 21, 2007, 11:00 AM
If I was Ashraful, i would've said the same thing...but for people who find it difficult to understand, I wouldn't have said that with an accent or whatsoever. And then, people would think I'm cool, coz then the meaning would've been different. Instead of it being a "slip of tongue", it would've been "this guy is so great, coz he's thanking Murali for giving the cricket world another thing to cheer for...a 700 wicket-taking career".

Our perceptions about someone's English and judging his knowledge with his English is simply ridiculous. I've seen people with PHDs, making more than $200k with ZERO English speaking abilities. But hey, nobody cares about them...coz they're fielthy rich. When it comes to an average brown guy, he's made fun of. When it comes to an Italian/French/German, it's a sign of poschness. When it's an African person's accent, it sounds "cool". And when it's Chinese/Japanese/Koren, it's overlooked easily.

abdulrahee
July 21, 2007, 11:45 AM
I exactly know what you are talking about. The captain of the team should know proper English. Otherwise sometimes serious miscommunications could happen.

We saw how the Pakistan team suffered in that Oval contro due to Inzamam's inability to understand the language. Its the unofficial language of the game and the captains, vice captains, managers and coaches should be proficient in it. The new Pakistani captain Shoaib Malik has already started taking English tuitions.

there is no point of not knowing english in oval contro
hair did not tell inzi about his fault so how inzi understand it if he did not tell him.....??

abdulrahee
July 21, 2007, 11:48 AM
ENGLISH LESSONS BETTA

very well said
in other soports many contries do the same thing

Puck
July 21, 2007, 07:18 PM
ENGLISH LESSONS BETTA

your sentiment is noble and perhaps in an ideal world, translators should be employed to comprehend the likes of ashraful, dravid and malik. however, in an age where the media seem to have so much influence over our lives it is important that the captain should learn to speak the language that is being spoken in england, australia, new zealand, south africa and west indies.

i know why you feel the way you do and i don't resent your statement. i personally feel that international umpirers should be taught basic hindi, urdu and bengali if they come from outside of this region. it isn't just good enough having international umpirers in this day and age, they should be educated on prevalent culture of all the test playing teams. either that or we should have umpires from both national sides when they play a match.

rah
July 22, 2007, 09:54 AM
your sentiment is noble and perhaps in an ideal world, translators should be employed to comprehend the likes of ashraful, dravid and malik. however, in an age where the media seem to have so much influence over our lives it is important that the captain should learn to speak the language that is being spoken in england, australia, new zealand, south africa and west indies.

i know why you feel the way you do and i don't resent your statement. i personally feel that international umpirers should be taught basic hindi, urdu and bengali if they come from outside of this region. it isn't just good enough having international umpirers in this day and age, they should be educated on prevalent culture of all the test playing teams. either that or we should have umpires from both national sides when they play a match.

we should have umpires from each country playing, hence for the curretn series enamul haqueand da otha guy ill umpire along side a sri lankan umpire

Ahmed_B
July 22, 2007, 10:11 AM
[বাংলা]এই থ্রেডে অনেক 'এম.বি.এ-জুনিয়র' এসে ভিড় করেছে দেখা যাচ্ছে!![/বাংলা] ;)

Puck
July 23, 2007, 11:18 AM
we should have umpires from each country playing, hence for the curretn series enamul haqueand da otha guy ill umpire along side a sri lankan umpire

i agree, lets go back to the good old days. this way the likes of daryl hare would never get to umpire outside of australia.

zainab
September 6, 2007, 03:33 PM
Ashraful's english has improved from 2005. Being the captain of a team which is touring many english speaking countries, he should learn the language better.
Bashar, Tamim and Javed speak english very well. all the other players should learn too. I wonder how they communicate and understand their english speaking coaches.

Puck
September 7, 2007, 07:38 AM
Ashraful's english has improved from 2005. Being the captain of a team which is touring many english speaking countries, he should learn the language better.
Bashar, Tamim and Javed speak english very well. all the other players should learn too. I wonder how they communicate and understand their english speaking coaches.

having done my stint of teaching english as a second language it must be stressed that there is a marked difference in the comprehension of speech to speaking. the dilligent students understand the english speaker rather better although he or she might not to vocalise an appropriate response in english. so, i dare say that understanding their english coach is a problem.

zainab
September 7, 2007, 09:11 AM
When the BCB handed Ashraful the captaincy, they should have impressed upon him the need to speak proper English and not in broken sentences. After all, as Captain, he is representing Bangladesh cricket all over the world, and now English is a common language. he is also playing matches against teams whose native tongue is English.
The African players speak perfect english even though it s not their first language.
I have noticed that his English has improved, but still not good enough. All eyes are upon him, and he cannot say the wrong words, e'g, like thanking Murali instead of congratulating him.
He is always going to be called to speak a few words when he plays a match. He knows this. Native tongue in Sril Lanka is Snghalese, but those cricketers speak English like it is their first language.
Ashraful has to learn grammar and try to speak in a complete sentence to say what he means, he is not doing this, I am not trying to be too critical, but these are my observations.

Puck
September 9, 2007, 07:44 AM
if his english is not good enough he ought only to speak in bangla.

zainab
September 11, 2007, 09:17 AM
if his english is not good enough he ought only to speak in bangla.

He will be like a laughing stock if he has to have an interpreter, after all this is 2007 and he is a young fella, I have had the opportunity to listen to many other young players here e.g. Mashrafe, and in my opinion, they all speak better English than him. Tamim and Mushy are fluent and a few other players, but they can converse and understand. I think Ashraful can understand better than speaking it, but as captain, he is in the limelight and after each match, he is called upon to speak a few words. In my opinion, Mashrafe should have been made captain, he is a much fluent english speaker and in my eyes, better than ash as a player.

Puck
September 11, 2007, 01:02 PM
should fluency in english be a prerequisite for being the captain of bangladesh team?

bharat
September 11, 2007, 02:22 PM
I have not heard Ash ...but Dont you think this is a non-issue ..

Azhar (my all time fav. after Sachin ..) was poor at communication to begin with ..but by the end of his carrier he turned out to be decent ..but does this matter

Moshin
September 13, 2007, 12:14 PM
Probably he was thinking it will be good sportmanship or somethin, he started being a captain, and probably he's trying to develop his English skills, but at that point of time and situation it was WRONG! :hairpull:

NightF!re
September 13, 2007, 12:30 PM
Murali should thank us....Most of his wickets are against Bangladesh

Sohel
September 13, 2007, 01:43 PM
To my "coconut" (that's brown on the outside, white on the inside) brothers and sisters taking a bit too much comfort with those Anglo-American-Aussiephile tendencies,

give him time for English, cricket and other things. In the mean time: -

1. Enroll yourself into a 12 step "Whitie Lovers Anonymous" program.

2. Decolonize your "wannabe whatever Whitie wants" mind by asking yourself "why" is his approval so damned important to you and your fragile and confused little self.

3. Learn to understand and accept your real self and culture.

4. Learn Bangla well and take pride in being truly bi-lingual .

5. Take pride accomplishments of those made of the same stuff as yourself, those who look like you.

6. Work on those pathetic, genuinely khyat and sheepish little complexes and learn to be a bit more compassionate to your fellow man.

7. Enjoy the ride abroad as long as your suddenly compassionate, Great White Father lets you because of his born-again multiculturalism ... or breed it out of your own gene pool, whichever comes first or lasts longer.

(Uncle Sam, Ricky Ponting and Alistair Cook don't look like you or speak Bangla like your parents ... but then again, be as behaya and nirlaujjo as you wanna be)

Copied and pasted from another thread as a RCSA (reality check service announcement).

Tigers_eye
September 13, 2007, 03:35 PM
khepsey!! Sohel bhai khepsey!!

Puck
September 13, 2007, 06:20 PM
i always thought that ashraful should learn tamil. it would do him more good. the tigers would then be truly related to tigers ;)

Sohel
September 14, 2007, 01:15 AM
Allow me to clarify. The "Whiteness" I speak of is a state of mind, where "Eurocentric" norms are considered universal and ultimately "superior" to non-Eurocentric norms. White-skinned folk who manage to find their existential essence and overcome such a narrow and frankly moronic view of life - like my ex-wife and many others I've been fortunate to meet during most of my life spent in White-majority lands since age 12 - are not "White" in that sense. They are people because that's how they define their own humanity, and do not primarily see themselves through the identity of a race that is seen as superior to all others.

The term "Eurocentric" or "Euro-colonial" would have been more appropriate and no offense intended to the Caucasian race. My post was an angry response to certain fellow Bangladeshis who loath themselves by being "embarrassed" about things they wouldn't be if they didn't.

Puck
September 14, 2007, 11:15 AM
i know what you are referring to, however, i don't think this is just a case of eurocentricism or what akbar s ahmad terms, a case of neo-occidentalism. i think the criticisms of ashraful's poor command of english is more class based and a general trend amongst the educated and middle classes in south asian society to look down upon the class you personally term as 'khayat' :) there is a general disdain for social mobility and an almost dismissive tendency towards those who are in the process of improving themselves. competency in english seems to be prerequisite for calling oneself educated and middle class.