PDA

View Full Version : Jayasuriya set for all time record

Buddhika_s
July 21, 2007, 09:31 PM
Veteran Sri Lankan all-rounder Sanath Jayasuriya is just four wickets away from creating what will be an all time record of becoming the only player to hammer over 10,000 runs and take 300 wickets in limited overs cricket. Jayasuriya has so far taken 296 wickets while scoring 12,084 runs.

If set it is unlikely to be broken by any player in the current generation.

Jayasuriya has two one-dayers against Bangladesh and five more against England on home soil this year to achieve the feat.

http://www.dailymirror.lk/2007/07/21/sports/6.asp

Well done Sanath. Awsome player. My favorite :) The guy has never let SL down.... damn can't believe he's been playing international cricket for 18 years!!! Still going just like old days eh? Last year was his best, stats wise. Hope he can continue on until 2011 world cup. I think he will. He will go down as one of the best all rounders. :)

Nafis_BD
July 21, 2007, 10:04 PM
Well good luck to him on doing that but I hope he doesn't achieve that against us!!:)

Sovik
July 22, 2007, 08:32 AM
it will be great if he gets 4 wickets but the record won't last very long. cause jack kallis has scored over 9000 runs and taken 233 wickets and he still has 3-4 years cricket left in him

Surfer
July 22, 2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks Sanath Jayasuriya for entertaining us with excellent and aggressive cricket for such a long time. I still remember the time Srilanka used to be in the minnows. I was a little boy then...very passionate about the game and just learning the basics of the game. I was very upset after India lost to Srilanka in the quarter final of 1996 world cup. Srilanka became the world champions and I couldn't digest that. In my mind, Srinka were minnows and they were supposed to stay minnows. I thought that was the greatest fluke in world cricket. And I thought that Jayasuriya was one of the luckiest pinch hitters ever. Every time he came to bat, I hoped he would edge one and get out....coz I believed that he only deserved to be out. It took me sometime for the fact to sink in that Srilanka had passed that threshold and had entered the world of the big boys with a bang.

Oneday my dad sat with me to watch a game and showed me how great a player Jayasuriya was. He took shot by shot and explained the psychology behind them and took me on a journey and explained the difference between blind hitting and being aggressive. As I grew up and watched more games, I became a fan of the same man I disliked one day. And I became a fan of the Srilankan team as well. Over the years of love affair with the game, Murali and Jayasuriya have been part of my list of favorite players.

Great to see Jayasuriya achieve new heights even when he is ageing. A great player indeed.:notworthy:

Kabir
July 22, 2007, 11:41 AM
Jayasuriya - the word should be added to the dictionary.

One of my most favorite players, and one of the players I have tremendous respect for. Another SL player that I respect this much (may be more) is Ranatunga.

Congratulations Jaya, make it a history. And thank you, for showing the world what a cricket talent should mean.

al Furqaan
July 22, 2007, 12:11 PM
300 wickets and 12000 runs??? not many spelialist bowlers take that many wickets.

simply an amazing feat...more amazing than SRT 15K, or Murali's 700+, IMO.

take a bow, take a bow!!!

Buddhika_s
July 23, 2007, 02:58 AM
and he gets it! :)

Sovik
July 23, 2007, 04:14 AM
he is a great player. always loved his batting.

Puck
July 23, 2007, 11:27 AM
Well done Sanath. Awsome player. My favorite :) The guy has never let SL down.... damn can't believe he's been playing international cricket for 18 years!!! Still going just like old days eh? Last year was his best, stats wise. Hope he can continue on until 2011 world cup. I think he will. He will go down as one of the best all rounders. :)

a brialliant striker of the ball but lets hope that he does not continue to the 2011 world cup. if he did, that would spell disaster for srilankan cricket. i'd rather see younger players.

Buddhika_s
July 23, 2007, 06:16 PM
a brialliant striker of the ball but lets hope that he does not continue to the 2011 world cup. if he did, that would spell disaster for srilankan cricket. i'd rather see younger players.

nah... he will play until 2011 world cup. we have young talented guys coming up. until 2011 world cup it will most probably be

1st string

Upul Tharanga,
Sanath Jayasuriya,
Mahela Jayawardena ,
Kumar Sangakkara,
T Dilshan,
Marvan Atapattu,
Chamara Silva (well he's still young in terms of cricket)

2nd String
Chamara Kapugedera (ODI opener)
Micheal Vandort (for tests)
Malinda Warnapura,
Mahela Udawatta,
Kaushal Silva (wk) ,
Ian danniel,
Angelo Mathews,
Prassana Jayawardena (test wk),
Jehan Mubarak

3rd string
U19 players

pace bowlers, 1st string

Chaminda Vaas,
DIlhara Fernando
Lasith Malinga
Farveez Maharoof

2nd string
Ishara Amarasinghe (right arm fast, slingy action)
Sujeewa de Silva
Nuwan Kulasekara
Akalanka Ganegama
Chanaka Welagedera
Ruchira Perera

3rd string
U19 players

Spin bowlers

1st string
Murali
Bandara
(jayasuriya, Dilshan also added)

2nd string
Rangana Herath
Kaushalya lokuarachi
Dilruwan perera (all rounder)

3rd string
u19 players

the point is Sanath doesn't have to retire until 2011 worldcup. because after that SL have some players who can come out and bat.

cricket_pagol
July 23, 2007, 06:20 PM
I have really become a big fan of Srilankan cricket... I am very proud that they are a South Asian team. They are ahead of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh by some distance

MohammedC
July 23, 2007, 07:19 PM
Congrats Sanath, excellent achievement

Puck
August 2, 2007, 08:09 PM
they are all excellent players

Rabz
August 2, 2007, 10:40 PM
Its never to late to congrat the great Jayasuriya on such an amazing achievement.

Very well done!

abdulrahee
August 3, 2007, 02:00 AM
lets talk about the people who has the potential to come close to this recore
1.shoaib malik
2.afridi
3.watson
4...??

pathan
August 3, 2007, 02:36 AM
lets talk about the people who has the potential to come close to this recore
1.shoaib malik
2.afridi
3.watson
4...??

it is such an amazing record that it is very difficult to pass it
i think afridi will make 10000 runs and 400 wicket b/c he has 10 to 8 more years left but i am not sure he will get more than 10000 runs

malik has the ability to make 10000 runs as he has nearly 4000 runs and almost 11 to 12 years left and he is a very good batsman compare to afridi but again i m not su;re he will take more than 275 wickets b/c he hardly give himself bowl

watson will surely not come close to it as he is older than malik and only scored 1000 runs

how can you forget kallis name one of my favorit player he already have 9000+ runs and 225+ wickets with 4 to five years left

gayle is also among the top allrounders he already have 6000+ runs and 140 wickets with 8 to 9 years left

Puck
August 3, 2007, 06:47 PM
rather an impressive record indeed