PDA

View Full Version : Over 19 yrs old players in U19 team

Murad
August 5, 2007, 11:54 AM
Is it right to have players over 19 and almost 20 yrs old in under 19 team?? Some of the england under-19 players are over 19 yrs and in 2/3 months they willl be 20 yrs mark...... its not making any sense to me.. how is this possible??

Full name Ben James Wright (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/player/23515.html)
Born December 5, 1987, Preston, Lancashire
Current age 19 years 243 days

Full name Adam Lyth (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/player/251721.html)
Born September 25, 1987, Whitby, Yorkshire
Current age 19 years 314 days

Most of the teams have players over 19 in under19 teams.. I think its not fair to any other sides play against players over 19. Look at our team.. mostly 14/15 yrs old and if we play against eng at the moment what will happen to us??

P.S.: i didn't know where to post this things so i opened this thread here..

Kabir
August 5, 2007, 12:04 PM
First the question is, what does U-19 mean? I don't know what it means, but the literal meaning will be players that are maximum of 18 years and 364 days. If England is allowed to have players that are 19 years and 243 days, I think U-19 in this case means 19 OR less. That means, even if you're 19 years and 364 days, you're still considered as 19.

Dhruvo
August 5, 2007, 12:06 PM
Is it right to have players over 19 and almost 20 yrs old in under 19 team?? Some of the england under-19 players are over 19 yrs and in 2/3 months they willl be 20 yrs mark...... its not making any sense to me.. how is this possible??

Full name Ben James Wright (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/player/23515.html)
Born December 5, 1987, Preston, Lancashire
Current age 19 years 243 days

Full name Adam Lyth (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/player/251721.html)
Born September 25, 1987, Whitby, Yorkshire
Current age 19 years 314 days

Most of the teams have players over 19 in under19 teams.. I think its not fair to any other sides play against players over 19. Look at our team.. mostly 14/15 yrs old and if we play against eng at the moment what will happen to us??

P.S.: i didn't know where to post this things so i opened this thread here..
Maybe they played for eng.u-19 years ago and their stats did'nt get up dated so is with shahriar nafees if you check his profile they say one of his major teams is bd u-19 so is your question answered now ?

Murad
August 5, 2007, 12:09 PM
Maybe they played for eng.u-19 years ago and their stats did'nt get up dated so is with shahriar nafees if you check his profile they say one of his major teams is bd u-19 so is your question answered now ?

no brother..

they are playing now.. both these players made centuries against Pak under 19 today

Pak u19 vs eng u19 (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/england/engine/current/match/268309.html)

Murad
August 5, 2007, 12:11 PM
Kabir bhai, I also think that under 19 means players who havent reached 19 yet.. but 19+ doesnt mean un-19..

i think theres no code of conduct for under 19 teams.. else england wouldnt play them.

Zunaid
August 5, 2007, 12:18 PM
For the U-19 WC, the ICC rules state:

To compete in the ICC U19 CWC Players from Full Member countries must be<o:p></o:p>
under the age of 19 on the 1st of September before the event takes place and<o:p></o:p>
Players from Associate or Affiliate Member countries must be under the age of 20<o:p></o:p>
on the 1st of September before the event takes place. (For the avoidance of doubt<o:p></o:p>
this means that at midnight (in the country of birth) at the changeover from the<o:p></o:p>
31st August to the 1st of September immediately before the event, players from<o:p></o:p>
Full Member countries must be under the age of 19 and players from Associate<o:p></o:p>
and Affiliate Member countries must be under the age of 20. If Members are<o:p></o:p>
in any further doubt as to the eligibility of a player they should contact ICC<o:p></o:p>
offices as fielding an ineligible player is a serious offence.)<o:p></o:p>
For non WC series/tours, the age limit is usually chosen through mutual agreement or adopting the ICC WC policy.

Now consider next year's U-19 WC in Malaysia. Anyone who is 19 years or older on September 1 is no longer eligible to play for the tourney. Someone who turns nineteen on September 2 is quite eligible.

From the ICC: Age Determination Policy for ICC Under 19 Cricket World Cup (http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/rules/qualification-rules-U19-age-determination-policy.pdf)

One World
August 5, 2007, 05:09 PM
Nice info here.

Kabir
August 6, 2007, 12:18 AM
So based on Zunaid bhai's extract, here's a possible scenario.

Match played: August 5th, 2007
Player's age on September 1, 2006: 18 years and 255 days

So the player's qualified based on his age on September 1, 2006. Now, if the match happened on September 2, 2007, these players would've been disqualified. What a dirty rule ICC has.

Zunaid
August 6, 2007, 12:40 AM
So based on Zunaid bhai's extract, here's a possible scenario.

Match played: August 5th, 2007
Player's age on September 1, 2006: 18 years and 255 days

So the player's qualified based on his age on September 1, 2006. Now, if the match happened on September 2, 2007, these players would've been disqualified. What a dirty rule ICC has.

What's dirty? It is applying a consistent set of rules. No room for creative interpretations.

Kabir
August 6, 2007, 08:59 AM
What's dirty? It is applying a consistent set of rules. No room for creative interpretations.

No questions about consistency. It's about the cut-off date. If it's an U-19 tournament, as a cricket follower, my assumption will be that the players will be U-19 at the beginning of the tournament. But that may just be me.

Nafis_BD
August 6, 2007, 09:05 AM
No questions about consistency. It's about the cut-off date. If it's an U-19 tournament, as a cricket follower, my assumption will be that the players will be U-19 at the beginning of the tournament. But that may just be me.

That's exactly what I think!!

Surfer
August 6, 2007, 10:00 AM
Those rules are for under 19 WC and this is an under19 test match. I think the England team has some things to explain.

Kabir
August 6, 2007, 10:04 AM
I have a feeling, unless ICC is an outright stupid organization, they will go with the same policy for U-19 tournaments, regardless of the type of match played.

And if it true that England's playing with players that don't meet the criteria, it should be the match officials first who should have things to explain.

Surfer
August 6, 2007, 11:09 AM
I just had a discussion with some English cricket fans on another forum and they admitted that even their under 21 football team has players who are actually below 22. They believe that if someone hasnt celebrated the 20th birthday, he is under 19. This, they say, is the European way. I think they are in contradiction with other continents and ICC must look into the unfair advantage they are gaining with this European way.

Kabir
August 6, 2007, 11:15 AM
It's unfair to Japanese people as well. They consider people to be at the age of 1 as soon as they're born!

Bengaliprince176
August 9, 2007, 06:02 AM
maybe its just an excuse to give a relatively young player more experience before putting them into first class cricket. 19 and 20 are still young ages

rah
August 10, 2007, 09:53 AM
no in england, it is if u r not 20 yet den ur till 19 and eligible for dese teams. so it is 19 and younger

Tigers_eye
August 10, 2007, 10:37 AM
What part of "U" ICC, Europeans, English fans don't understand? In the name of consistency bullsh*tting your way to take advantage is cheating. Cheating can never have a good outcome in the long run. (Dana-Gothia cup).

Instead of Under 19 we need to call it Under 20 tournament and remove the cheating and make it an even playing field.

Bengaliprince176
August 10, 2007, 11:43 AM
It's unfair to Japanese people as well. They consider people to be at the age of 1 as soon as they're born!

lol, wow its true we learn sumthing new everyday!! thanks for the fact Kabir!!

Lord AK
August 11, 2007, 06:28 AM
Nice info here.
Yeah. You did your homework here.

One World
August 17, 2007, 06:49 PM
Yeah. You did your homework here.

I did not understand what you mean! :-|

abdulrahee
August 18, 2007, 08:09 AM
but i can tell you brothers
PAKISTAN U-19 still manages to draw test series and win 2nd one day and i hope they clean sweep one day series
in england drawing test series is really a great stuff from boys
here are the average ages(approximate)
eng=18.5
pak=17.1

cricket_dorshok
August 18, 2007, 09:42 AM
What part of "U" ICC, Europeans, English fans don't understand? In the name of consistency bullsh*tting your way to take advantage is cheating. Cheating can never have a good outcome in the long run. (Dana-Gothia cup).

Instead of Under 19 we need to call it Under 20 tournament and remove the cheating and make it an even playing field.
Then they will field 20 years 364 days old players!

Murad
August 18, 2007, 02:08 PM
Then they will field 20 years 364 days old players!

lolz.. very true..