PDA

View Full Version : Match thread: England Vs India, 3rd Test match at Oval

Miraz
August 9, 2007, 08:12 AM
Both teams unchanged

England 1 Andrew Strauss, 2 Alastair Cook, 3 Michael Vaughan (capt), 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Paul Collingwood, 6 Ian Bell, 7 Matt Prior (wk), 8 Chris Tremlett, 9 Ryan Sidebottom, 10 Monty Panesar, 11 James Anderson.
India 1 Wasim Jaffer, 2 Dinesh Karthik, 3 Rahul Dravid (capt), 4 Sachin Tendulkar, 5 Sourav Ganguly, 6 VVS Laxman, 7 MS Dhoni (wk), 8 Anil Kumble, 9 Zaheer Khan, 10 RP Singh, 11 Sreesanth.

India won the toss and elected to bat first.

India off to a flying start and in a very good position.

India 151/1 after 35.5 overs.

Padosan
August 9, 2007, 08:27 AM
India off to a flyer, the pitch seems to be very flat and nothing for the bowlers there. India has to score and score big in the first innings and see if there is some purchase for kumble when bowling. Too early to call but i guess it might be a tame draw looking at this wicket unless england pull out some quick wickets now.

cheers !
Padosan

Miraz
August 9, 2007, 09:24 AM
Double strike after drinks brings England back into the match.

India 203/3, Sachin and Sourav batting.

MohammedC
August 9, 2007, 09:43 AM
Karthik out for 91. Very unlucky,it was not an edge

crikss
August 9, 2007, 09:48 AM
link

www.cricket-today.tk

BangladeshFan
August 9, 2007, 09:58 AM
211/3, i think india lost 1-2 more wickets than they would have liked. It is a very good batting wicket and Dravid should have stayed and played a long innings. Now Tendu is struggling and it is specialy important for ganguli to stay there and play a long innings and counter panesar.

England will score quickly, they have to win this test, so it is all the more important for india than they can buy as much time in the middle as they can.

akabir77
August 9, 2007, 10:05 AM
any live link in media player sopcast doesn't work from my work...

MohammedC
August 9, 2007, 11:15 AM
Dada hits a magnificent 6

Bengaliprince176
August 9, 2007, 11:19 AM
that was a class shot!!! thats my fav shot by a mile, the little shuffle down, u know its gonna be a six

Padosan
August 9, 2007, 11:56 AM
damn 2 bad decisions, karthik and Dada .. poor dada that was a hugeeeeeeee inside edge, he was well set for a good score.

Tigers_eye
August 9, 2007, 12:50 PM
Hmm! With a class bowler like Panesear in the side how come England can't press the cause? Bullying against weak players makes some cricketers famous I guess.

rubel_18
August 9, 2007, 01:14 PM
its ended day 1 with India 316/4 (90.0 ov)
Not bad I'm sure they can get another 100 on the scoreboard if they dont lose anymore wickets.

bharat
August 9, 2007, 01:59 PM
Hmm! With a class bowler like Panesear in the side how come England can't press the cause? Bullying against weak players makes some cricketers famous I guess.

And the point is ....

Common man India is good in Tests ..they are closing on their rightful position of No2 in Tests ..the only team that can give Aussies a run for their money ....

Tigers_eye
August 9, 2007, 02:38 PM
And the point is ....
Not so long ago there was a front page article in Cricinfo on how good i mean great Panesear is. he is better than Giles no doubt. But he is not the superstar spinner that almost everyone wants him to be.

Common man India is good in Tests ..they are closing on their rightful position of No2 in Tests ..the only team that can give Aussies a run for their money ....
When did I say india wasn't good in test?

DJ Sahastra
August 9, 2007, 02:50 PM
Collingwood gets a thick edge - umpires are convinced he's not out.

Pieterson edges to the keeper - umpires are convinced he's not out.

Ganguly gets no edge - umpires have no doubt he is out caught behind.

Karthik gets no edge - umpires have no doubt he is out caught behind.

Ganguly gets thick edge on to his pads - umpires have no doubt he is out LBW.

I won't bother about Dravid & Sachin's LBW decisions.

Seems like England seems to not only have the home conditions and home-crowd to their side but also umpires who love the home team. Now they only need to persuade the lady luck to join hands with Umpires and we have a drawn series.

I applaud the umpires determination to keep the match and series open - 316/2 would've killed the series and the English crowd interest, wouldn't it?

akabir77
August 9, 2007, 02:51 PM
Collingwood gets a thick edge - umpires are convinced he's not out.

Pieterson edges to the keeper - umpires are convinced he's not out.

Ganguly gets no edge - umpires have no doubt he is out caught behind.

Karthik gets no edge - umpires have no doubt he is out caught behind.

Ganguly gets thick edge on to his pads - umpires have no doubt he is out LBW.

I won't bother about Dravid & Sachin's LBW decisions.

Seems like England seems to not only have the home conditions and home-crowd to their side but also umpires who love the home team. Now they only need to persuade the lady luck to join hands with Umpires and we have a drawn series.

I applaud the umpires determination to keep the match and series open - 316/2 would've killed the series and the English crowd interest, wouldn't it?
now you know how we feel in every Match. at least you become england against us (ump wise...)

bharat
August 9, 2007, 03:36 PM
Not so long ago there was a front page article in Cricinfo on how good i mean great Panesear is. he is better than Giles no doubt. But he is not the superstar spinner that almost everyone wants him to be.

When did I say india wasn't good in test?

Sorry man ..my bad .I though you were taking a jab at India.

Bengaliprince176
August 9, 2007, 03:45 PM
kartick admitted he snicked it. ganguly was unlucky im amazaed he kept his cool!!! he was just laughing!! but then again i wud have started laughing at that kind of decision, its like he needed a [] telescope to realise that Dada edged it!!

Nocturnal
August 9, 2007, 05:40 PM
umpiring is getting worse now a days, bad decision in all most every single cricket match, ICC do something plz :(

Nafis_BD
August 9, 2007, 09:23 PM
umpiring is getting worse now a days, bad decision in all most every single cricket match, ICC do something plz :(

Yes, I was watching the game today and one of the commentator said that everyone makes mistakes other wise they are not humans but you have to correct that mistake the next time and also in cricket if the players makes mistakes constantly they get dropped and so should the umpires if they make mistakes constantly. He just said what I wanted to say and I hope ICC thinks about this and actually takes some action cause umpiring is getting worst almost every game!!:(

DJ Sahastra
August 9, 2007, 09:29 PM
I have been a firm advocate of technology for almost 10 years now (from the time that Steve Bucknor refused to rule Jonty Rhodes out when Jonty was caught halfway down the crease - he refused to refer to third umpire and Jonty went on to make a 100 that denied India a test win in SA way back in 90s).

Since then, we have seen many horrors from so called "elite umpires".

Too much power is vested in human inaccuracies/fallacies. I am all for technology - use it for snicks, clean takes, edges, LBW, run-out, stumping. Use it for no-ball, wide-ball too.

I am not saying technology will not have it's own errors or limitations. But there will be a consistency in it's errors/limitations and it will be fair even in it's limitations.

I can live with that.

Surfer
August 10, 2007, 12:42 AM
Good day for India. In spite of a strong attack by the England-Umpires team, India stole the first day away. Lets hope for Sachin and laxman to go for centuries and put the foundation for an innings victory.

Kabir
August 10, 2007, 01:01 AM
Sachin has something in him. This guy's always so determined. I dont know why I don't like him, but every time I say this, people just shut me up citing his records. Well, he's a good batsman...I just don't like his extra heavy bat! :)

DJ Sahastra
August 10, 2007, 01:16 AM
Most of Sachin admirers have reconciled to the fact that Sachin of current times is a different Sachin and he has chosen a different role for himself.

And he can contribute to a good extent in his new role too. It takes a lot of courage for a batsman of his stature to change the role from aggressive dominant batsman to a fighting accumulator.

We will probably never get to see Sachin of yesteryears except in videos. I guess it's time for his fans to understand and respect that.

MysoreHuli
August 10, 2007, 02:50 AM
Well done India, another series win on the way...

Miraz
August 10, 2007, 07:57 AM
Currently India 439/6 with Dhoni and Kumble batting. Tendulkar made 82 before getting out to Anderson.

IMO, India need another 100 runs to secure the series win.

Tintin
August 10, 2007, 08:34 AM
502/6. Dhoni has gone mad and England has practically given up. Collingwood and Pietersen bowling at the moment.

Time to bump all those threads predicting a 3-0 win for England in the series :D

Tintin
August 10, 2007, 08:36 AM
Dhoni got out just as I wrote. Hit Pietersen for two consecutive sixes and caught off the next ball. 92 in 81 balls with four sixes. India 508/7.

Miraz
August 10, 2007, 08:50 AM
Dhoni has done a splendid job, it should be enough to silence his critics. After match saving innings at Lords another blistering innings to take India to almost safety (in case of series win).

I think India is trying make one unique record here, winning a series without scoring any century by the batsmen. :D

They are getting out as soon as they are reaching 80 to 90 .:)

Bengaliprince176
August 10, 2007, 08:51 AM
dhoom dhoom dhoni!!! what about those shots??? i wonder if Zaheer will hit out, he's a strong guy as well

Miraz
August 10, 2007, 09:04 AM
A forgettable series for Panesar.

England heavily depended on him to win the series.

Wicket less in this match conceding 110 runs.

Miraz
August 10, 2007, 09:08 AM
India have just bettered tehir previous record of scoring most runs without a century.

India 526/7, previous one was 524/9

Padosan
August 10, 2007, 09:16 AM
I would take such contributions all over the top order rather than one making century and couple making 1 digit scores. Its sad that guys on 90's couldnt go on to make 100's but this score card gives a lot of credibility on the "perform as a team" side.

The wicket is flat and everybody has cashed in well. I am happy to see the old man kumble making good for himself :)

cheers !

Tintin
August 10, 2007, 09:21 AM
Sidebottom has a side strain. England is down to three bowlers and Panesar's bowling average for the series just crossed 50.

541/7

Bengaliprince176
August 10, 2007, 09:28 AM
India doing to Panesar what we (mainly Sidhu and Sachin) did to Warne in 97/98!!!

Padosan
August 10, 2007, 09:32 AM
50 for kumble .. hurrah !!!!1

MysoreHuli
August 10, 2007, 09:34 AM
Great going India.

MysoreHuli
August 10, 2007, 09:34 AM
Kumble is having fun. Maga Enjoy Maadu!

Miraz
August 10, 2007, 09:46 AM
I will be really happy if the old man get a century here. :D

That will ruin the record but will be a huge achievement for Kumble.

Bengaliprince176
August 10, 2007, 09:53 AM
i hope he does, 1 century to have in his career!! hes a great stalwart in Indian cricket!! go JUMBO!!!

MysoreHuli
August 10, 2007, 10:00 AM
i hope he does, 1 century to have in his career!! hes a great stalwart in Indian cricket!! go JUMBO!!!

Well said!
:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Tigers_eye
August 10, 2007, 10:01 AM
Sorry man ..my bad .I though you were taking a jab at India.
No problem. Time to time I do take a jab at BCCI.

Good showing by Kumble!! rubbing it in. I hope he gets his first 100. Highest score is 88.

DJ Sahastra
August 10, 2007, 10:07 AM
I think Dravid may be looking to bowl for 15-20 overs.

That means either a declaration or a hit-out maybe in sight.

Kumble's 100 in either case looks remote. But he did well and deserves applaud.

In my opinion, 500 is a par-score on this pitch, so India team is only slightly above par.

But i like the way they have tamed the English-spirits. All the English players seemed to have resigned to a series loss up this morning (whether they lose it or not is a different matter).

Miraz
August 10, 2007, 10:10 AM
I think Dravid may be looking to bowl for 15-20 overs.

That means either a declaration or a hit-out maybe in sight.

Kumble's 100 in either case looks remote. But he did well and deserves applaud.

India only needs a draw. IMO, it will be unsportsmanlike from Dravid if he declares before Kumble gets out.

India is not only scoring runs but also killing valuable time here.

akabir77
August 10, 2007, 10:14 AM
another country winning a series after playing with Bangladesh... many countries has done this in past... :)

Tigers_eye
August 10, 2007, 10:15 AM

I am not saying technology will not have it's own errors or limitations. But there will be a consistency in it's errors/limitations and it will be fair even in it's limitations.

I can live with that.
Just so that you know Technology can be manupulated as well. On LBW decisions on fast bowlers, software can easily make sure the ball rises enough goes over the stump and misses it by an inch or swings just a little and misses the stump. This can be done in real time. On the other hand, the favoring team's balls can dip in or swing in misteriously and hit stumps. It depends on the operators and the program.

Real life example:
In US, there is being a revolution on electronic voting system. Did anyone see who got bids of making most of the states voting machine (Kios)? With this technology a few percent of extra voting (who never came to vote) could suave the election result easily. No one would find out cause those people never query if their vote were properly counted or not. I was in charge of the voter registration database for 4 years in our county. I would know few inside things. Secretary of State has total control and politics plays a big part. Election commission has no clue what is going on.

DJ Sahastra
August 10, 2007, 10:15 AM
India only needs a draw. IMO, it will be unsportsmanlike from Dravid if he declares before Kumble gets out.

India is not only scoring runs but also killing valuable time here.

Here is where i like what Ravi Shastri had to say - India should try for a win. The temptation to play a draw and relish a series win in England is huge. But i belong to Ravi's school - go for a win.

Dravid belongs to the school which declared the innings with Sachin stranded on 194. I doubt if he will make concessions for Kumble. He may though tell Kumble to go for his runs.

Tigers_eye
August 10, 2007, 10:16 AM
another country winning a series after playing with Bangladesh... many countries has done this in past... :)
I would love SL to do that against Ponting at Australia. :)

DJ Sahastra
August 10, 2007, 10:19 AM
Just so that you know Technology can be manupulated as well. On LBW decisions on fast bowlers, software can easily make sure the ball rises enough goes over the stump and misses it by an inch or swings just a little and misses the stump. This can be done in real time. On the other hand, the favoring team's balls can dip in or swing in misteriously and hit stumps. It depends on the operators and the program.

The problem with your statement is - Hawkeye software basically takes in the data from the field and plots a trajectory. And i am sure when technology comes into play, you'll have the live-feeds of input data available to operators representing both the teams (and lot more people). And as long as they are all using same copies of the software, there is no room for inconsistency.

Tigers_eye
August 10, 2007, 10:25 AM
The problem with your statement is - Hawkeye software basically takes in the data from the field and plots a trajectory. And i am sure when technology comes into play, you'll have the live-feeds of input data available to operators representing both the teams (and lot more people). And as long as they are all using same copies of the software, there is no room for inconsistency.
All live feed comes from one source. Any tragectory is an assumption which can be manupulated in real time. Inches diping and rising can't be differenciated by naked eye. It depends on the software. But yes it can be manupulated. Any programs can be set up that way. Just switching the mode would be piece of cake.

Every Technology has its pros and cons. If the pros are more than the cons and if that tends to be more than the umpires pros and cons then I guess you have a case. I don't like the total control of technology. Must be balanced out.

Nafis_BD
August 10, 2007, 10:28 AM
Wow Kumble is batting really good today, hopefully he will get his century today!!:)

DJ Sahastra
August 10, 2007, 10:34 AM
All live feed comes from one source. Any tragectory is an assumption which can be manupulated in real time. Inches diping and rising can't be differenciated by naked eye. It depends on the software. But yes it can be manupulated. Any programs can be set up that way. Just switching the mode would be piece of cake.

Every Technology has its pros and cons. If the pros are more than the cons and if that tends to be more than the umpires pros and cons then I guess you have a case. I don't like the total control of technology. Must be balanced out.

Tigers_Eye,

A live feed is a raw feed. The trajectory is not an assumption but a calculation using the raw data, constants and boundary conditions. The mode/options/corrections happen on the raw feed (unless sensors are tampered).

And you are right, raw feed can be manipulated whichever way to show whichever result. And that is why you would have agreed-protocol on which mode and what filters/manipulations are gonna be used on the raw feed to arrive at a conclusion.

You are hinting at conspiracy. No amount of technologies cannot overcome conspiracy. They can only overcome human fallacies and inconsistencies.

I am hinting at overcoming human-biases, human emotions and human-fallacies in decision-making. Definitely not at overcoming human treachery or conspiracy.

Miraz
August 10, 2007, 10:36 AM
Here is where i like what Ravi Shastri had to say - India should try for a win. The temptation to play a draw and relish a series win in England is huge. But i belong to Ravi's school - go for a win.

Dravid belongs to the school which declared the innings with Sachin stranded on 194. I doubt if he will make concessions for Kumble. He may though tell Kumble to go for his runs.

DJ you missed my point.

India need a draw that doesn't mean they will be playing for a draw. Giving Kumble time to reach the century will only make India's position stronger in this match. A 650+ first innings score will ensure that only one team has the possibility of winning the match and that's India.

It's not harming India's prospect in the match at all.

Bengaliprince176
August 10, 2007, 10:36 AM
what wud b the point declaring so early??? i say crush england morale!!! let kumble attempt 100 and then have some fun for the spectators and the batsmen!!

Miraz
August 10, 2007, 10:37 AM
Kumble won't be getting there. Singh gone. The old man will be standing alone. :(

Bengaliprince176
August 10, 2007, 10:38 AM
damn!!! sreesanth is a fighter, time to repay the faith shown in the last test!! he'll stick around!!!

Nafis_BD
August 10, 2007, 10:41 AM
Kumble could really get a 100 if Sreesanth survives and I hope he does!!

DJ Sahastra
August 10, 2007, 10:41 AM
DJ you missed my point.

India need a draw that doesn't mean they will be playing for a draw. Giving Kumble time to reach the century will only make India's position stronger in this match. A 650+ first innings score will ensure that only one team has the possibility of winning the match and that's India.

It's not harming India's prospect in the match at all.

Miraz,

I absolutely got your point. I was merely hinting at what School Dravid comes from. I was damn sure he'll try to have atleast 15-20 overs today and have his bowlers have a go at English batsman.

Kumble's century would have been ideal. But looking at the pitch, i would rather conserve time to be able to bowl england out twice.

Tigers_eye
August 10, 2007, 10:42 AM
There will be no declaration. there are 22 over left. India would want to field as little as possible today.

Tigers_eye
August 10, 2007, 10:44 AM
Great to see Kumble shielding Sresanth. That's the way to play.

Bengaliprince176
August 10, 2007, 10:48 AM
cmon KUMBLE!!!! this guy deserves a hundred after so much been given to Indian cricket by him

Bengaliprince176
August 10, 2007, 10:49 AM
seriosuly if i was England captain i wud say to kumble u can have the runs, please declare, fair enuf deal i think....

Miraz
August 10, 2007, 10:57 AM
Kumble reaches 91. I really want a century from him.

akabir77
August 10, 2007, 10:58 AM
I would love SL to do that against Ponting at Australia. :)

Thats not gonna work teams win away/home matches after they play Bangladesh in Bangladesh... but still SL got a very good chance. away play against BD is much better then none play...:-D:-p

Murad
August 10, 2007, 11:02 AM
damn.. those guys making england bowlers alu vorta..

sreesanth is batting well.. giving good support to kumble.. hope he gets his ton today..

Murad
August 10, 2007, 11:10 AM
yes he did it.. congrats... kumbuleee

Murad
August 10, 2007, 11:12 AM
i think they should declare it now...

Bengaliprince176
August 10, 2007, 11:12 AM
GREAT BATTING KUMBLE!!!!! 100 for a great cricketer for India

Miraz
August 10, 2007, 11:16 AM
That's awesome from the old man.

Congrats Kumble, splendid innings.

Tigers_eye
August 10, 2007, 11:18 AM
That's awesome from the old man.

Congrats Kumble, splendid innings.
:up:

Bengaliprince176
August 10, 2007, 11:21 AM
i seriosuly hope they smack it now and have some fun!!! good to see such a wide smile from kumble!!

Murad
August 10, 2007, 11:22 AM
seems like dravid is waiting for sreesanth to make a 50!

DJ Sahastra
August 10, 2007, 11:26 AM
Congrats to Kumble.

Dravid is a changed man. He should declare. Lets us have atleast 10 overs.

Need to get a wicket or so.

Miraz, you win, i lose :). I am happy nonetheless :)

Tigers_eye
August 10, 2007, 11:37 AM
8th wicket partnership: Z khan and Kumble - 62 runs (almost 20 overs)
9th wicket partnership: Singh and Kumble - 21 runs (6+ overs)
10th wicket partnership: Sresanth and Kumble - 73 runs (13 + overs) this was the big one.

Nevertheless, all significant ones.

Tigers_eye
August 10, 2007, 11:49 AM
Can England avoid followon? 465 is the magic number.

Bengaliprince176
August 10, 2007, 12:00 PM
wickeet for Zaheer-- DAMN THOSE JELLY BEANS MUST HAVE PISSED HIM OFF!! lol

Padosan
August 10, 2007, 12:07 PM
ump ian howell again. plumb lbw of anderson not given. England would have been 2 wickets down.. damn

Hatebreed
August 10, 2007, 12:25 PM
Kumble scored a century?? Haha congrats to him. This is pathetic stuff from England. They are on the way to a humiliating defeat.

BangladeshFan
August 10, 2007, 12:40 PM
good and solid stuff from india. after tendu put up a patient knock and wear off the new ball and early swing, dhoni and kumble cashed in.

england without their spiritual leader flintoff is losing a home series. their may be excuses of absence of key bowler hoggard, harmison but it is their own shortcoming if they remain injured. arent they supposedly the no.2 side in the world?? :D

syzygy
August 10, 2007, 01:20 PM
502/6. Dhoni has gone mad and England has practically given up. Collingwood and Pietersen bowling at the moment.

Time to bump all those threads predicting a 3-0 win for England in the series :D

i knew india will crush this over hyped england...i am happy they are going to loose a series at home after 6 years which the mighty aussies could not even do..hahaha....the pessimists will eat their own words..want 2 c india thrash the aussies at their home too..soon india will be the no 1 team in the world..mark my words :)

rubel_18
August 10, 2007, 02:16 PM
Well done India 2day they were on top on day 1 and now on day 2, Congrats to Kumble on getting his maiden Test Century, I am sure India can bowl them out in both innings. Well at least BD didnt do as bad as England is doin at the moment. Well lets see how the English hype up the match now....lol

Murad
August 10, 2007, 02:16 PM
i knew india will crush this over hyped england...i am happy they are going to loose a series at home after 6 years which the mighty aussies could not even do..hahaha....the pessimists will eat their own words..want 2 c india thrash the aussies at their home too..soon india will be the no 1 team in the world..mark my words :)

in dreams.. but not in reality..bro..

I wonder how India would do in Tests after those oldies retire.. as India don't have enough quality players to replace Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly, & Kumble.. In 2 yrs time, i'm sure 2 of them will retire.. India mostly rely on those 4 players in TESTS

akabir77
August 10, 2007, 03:21 PM
now i know some of the indian fans where very un happy when vass made his century against us. so what do you say now since kumble made his 1st century...

rubel_18
August 10, 2007, 04:07 PM
now i know some of the indian fans where very un happy when vass made his century against us. so what do you say now since kumble made his 1st century...

Yeh exactly sumthing that came to my head as well

Nocturnal
August 10, 2007, 04:28 PM
well dome Kumble and ofcourse India :)

Gowza
August 10, 2007, 05:58 PM
in dreams.. but not in reality..bro..

I wonder how India would do in Tests after those oldies retire.. as India don't have enough quality players to replace Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly, & Kumble.. In 2 yrs time, i'm sure 2 of them will retire.. India mostly rely on those 4 players in TESTS

well yuvraj singh should hopefully step it up and help with the void in the batting line up and harbhajan singh should be able to take over from kumble. they're both quality players who will do a fine job, just not as good as say kumble or tendulkar. dhoni should be a good test batsmen in a couple of years so he'll be relied on a bit more, and laxman and sehwag will probably play a major role in the batting line up. i don't think india are in that much trouble, they've got a decent group of youngsters with raina and uthappa (he could play as a specialist batsmen depending on who they want to keep wicket).

their batting line up could look like this in a couple of years: karthik, jaffer, sehwag, laxman, dhoni, raina, yuvraj (the order might be different but these are probably the players they'd have, except for laxman who could retire around the same time as tendulkar, dravid and ganguly). it's not as good as the current line up but still very capable especially while sehwag and laxman are there.

MohammedC
August 10, 2007, 06:41 PM

Well said, does it mean ENG are as bad in test cricket as BD (Well today they are for sure)

Puck
August 11, 2007, 05:48 AM
two wickets for panesar as well..

Miraz
August 11, 2007, 11:01 AM
Bell and Collingwood is leading the England fightback.

India need couple of wickets to stay on top.

England 268/5

MohammedC
August 11, 2007, 11:48 AM
305/8 now . England in big trouble

DJ Sahastra
August 11, 2007, 01:24 PM
Jonathan Agnew of BBC says:

"Paul Collingwood can consider himself unlucky to have become umpire Ian Howell’s latest victim"

What nonsense. Paul collingwood was out - even if only just. And that's enough. Jonathan Agnew doesn't know what unlucky means.

Unlucky means trapping a batsman plumb repeatedly and being denied. Wait, that is not unlucky, that is unfair.

Unlucky means being given out caught behind when you haven't edged anything. Wait, that is not unlucky, that is again unfair.

Unlucky means being at the recieving end of 90% of umpiring blunders while media and blog-writers try to slide it under the rugs.

This match is getting ridiculous, thanks to mr. Howell. His repeated reprieve to English batsman on plumb decisions is becoming a heart-ache to Indian supporters.
There is much bemoaning of collingwood given out to what he thought was a delivery down the leg. Maybe so but as Hawkeye indicated, it was one of the only correct decisions that Howell has made, even if only just correct. So i don't understand the disappointment of Mr Collingwood or Jonathon Agnew or English supporters. Wait, they are complaining that Paul Collingwood should've been let off since he was batting well and would've saved the game? Well, Collingwood, of all people, should be thankful to Howell, and so should be the English supporters. He was lucky to be there in the first place - should've been sent packing before he could open his account. It was the plumbest decison to make for any competent umpire and especially so for an umpires who have been giving Indian batsman out LBW for deliveries missing the off-stump by miles and for deliveries edged on to pad.
Collingwood and ther English batsman being reprieved so often on LBWs and caught-behinds, especially when Indian batsman have been given out for far lesser and absolutely no crimes, was as much unjust as embarassing commentary on Mr. Howell who gives an impression that he is playing for England.

If Collingwood had managed to take the match away (he almost did), it would've only magnified the inconsistent (to the point of being called biased) role played by Howell in this match.

Miraz
August 11, 2007, 01:28 PM
DJ babaji, they have nothing left, let them whine a bit and allow to sleep after such a hapless display.

Don't pass sleepless night by those silly comments. Arame Ghuman. :)

Beamer
August 11, 2007, 11:29 PM
Howell has been shocking to say the least. Indian fans have every right to complain. Move over Steve Bucnor !

Surfer
August 12, 2007, 12:33 AM
DJ, thats English media for you. They will never change and they are already looking for blames to justify the loss. We are still very much close to victory.

This match might still go for a draw. The wicket remains good. What I wonder is will Dravid enforce the follow on or will he come out to bat. In case of the former, they might have to bat on a fifth day pitch. In case of the later, valuable time might be wasted.

Miraz
August 12, 2007, 05:34 AM
Kumble finally gets Panesar and India aren't enforcing follow-on.

Good decision, India are making sure that only one team win from here and that's India.

Miraz
August 12, 2007, 06:11 AM
Two quick wickets by the English bowlers. Couple more required to make the match interesting.

Miraz
August 12, 2007, 06:13 AM
While I am writing this, Andesron got SRT, one more required to inject some life in the match. :)

MohammedC
August 12, 2007, 06:15 AM
India 11/3, Rahul Dravid may regret his decission to not enforce England to follow on

Miraz
August 12, 2007, 06:16 AM
Anderson having dream time with ball.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="605"><tbody><tr align="right" valign="top"><td>
</td> <td class="current" align="left">*JM Anderson (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvind/content/current/player/8608.html) (rfm)</td> <td>4.0</td> <td>4</td> <td>0</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.00</td> </tr></tbody></table>

Miraz
August 12, 2007, 06:48 AM
What a contrast between performances!!

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="605"><tbody><tr align="right" valign="top"><td>
</td> <td align="left">*SC Ganguly (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvind/content/current/player/28779.html) (lhb)</td> <td>21</td> <td>18</td> <td>4</td> <td>0</td> <td>116.66</td></tr></tbody></table>
</td> <td align="left">R Dravid (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvind/content/current/player/28114.html) (rhb)</td> <td>2</td> <td>32</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>6.25</td> </tr></tbody></table>

Bengaliprince176
August 12, 2007, 07:38 AM
what was Dravid thiking?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??! come on Ganguly!!!! for Ileesh Maach!!!

Bengaliprince176
August 12, 2007, 07:39 AM
and India of course lol

Miraz
August 12, 2007, 07:42 AM
Here are the highlights of India's batting including the century from the old man. :)

Part 1

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dEZPzS8OwCc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dEZPzS8OwCc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Part 2

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JWL9qKsLMp4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JWL9qKsLMp4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Part 3

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CcUjPrjvdYg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CcUjPrjvdYg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

And here is the part 4 with Kumble's century

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1RpXVmltT_g"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1RpXVmltT_g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Miraz
August 12, 2007, 07:48 AM
I am loving the comparison :)

</td> <td align="left">R Dravid (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvind/content/current/player/28114.html) (rhb)</td> <td>2</td> <td>44</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>4.54</td> </tr></tbody></table>
</td> <td align="left">*SC Ganguly (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvind/content/current/player/28779.html) (lhb)</td> <td>33</td> <td>32</td> <td>7</td> <td>0</td> <td>103.12</td> </tr></tbody></table>

Bengaliprince176
August 12, 2007, 08:19 AM
50 from DADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bengaliprince176
August 12, 2007, 08:34 AM
o dear......

Hatebreed
August 12, 2007, 08:41 AM
Ganguly gone.... lol.

I reckon the match will be a draw. Dravid is playing a superb knock.

Miraz
August 12, 2007, 08:44 AM
400 run lead is up for India. Dravid is playing one of his innings of life. He wants to make sure that the decision to bat again does not backfire and India kill some valuable time before declaring.

MohammedC
August 12, 2007, 08:46 AM
I dont think current england batting is good enough to chase anything above 300 in last innings.

Bengaliprince176
August 12, 2007, 09:24 AM
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

MohammedC
August 12, 2007, 10:20 AM
142/5, we can say good bye to england

DJ Sahastra
August 12, 2007, 10:44 AM
:hairpull:

Dravid's decision to not enforce follow-on is a bad one.

Anher
August 12, 2007, 10:48 AM
declaration about to come. Well done india.

MohammedC
August 12, 2007, 10:49 AM

499 runs ahead, why worry. England has to go after it either way

Dravid declares

tonoy
August 12, 2007, 11:45 AM
any link guys? pls help me!!!!!!

DJ Sahastra
August 12, 2007, 11:46 AM
In my opinion, the day today is sad and pathetic for India.

First they didn't enfore follow-on.

Then they scored at snail's pace.

Killing off a match to win a series - may win arguments but are in my bad book.

To Dravid's credit, maybe his bowlers complained that they were tired and howler's bad decision against Jaffer didn't help the matter either.

One World
August 12, 2007, 11:54 AM
England should make 500, this is the chance to level it, make history and revive the 4th Innings triumph. 110 overs should be enough, if India can do it in first innings England should show it now.

One World
August 12, 2007, 12:11 PM
Denying Laxman of his test 50, shows the petty Indian psychology

DJ Sahastra
August 12, 2007, 12:28 PM
"Denying Laxman of his test 50, shows the petty Indian psychology"

There is no "petty indian psychology", but i agree that Dravid is overdoing his "milestones are not important" bit.

An extra over to allow Laxman to complete his half-century wouldn't have hurt anything as far as this match goes.

DJ Sahastra
August 12, 2007, 12:44 PM
Dravid has disappointed me immensely - i thought Dravid thought like me. He apparently doesn't.

He has handed over the psychological advantage to England, whatever be the result of this match or series. I call it a blunder.

When the opposition team is trailing by more than 300 runs, you don't start worrying about the "worst case". You go ahead and try to win the game. Even if the fat lady had sung and England had scored, say, 500 runs in 4 sessions following on and set India a target of 200 runs in 2 sessions, If Indian batsman can't take that challenge, they don't deserve to win the series.

I am very disappointed.

AsifTheManRahman
August 12, 2007, 01:08 PM
Man. England may just pull off a draw in this one. Dravid's decision to not make 'em follow on was a bad, bad blunder.

cricket_pagol
August 12, 2007, 01:19 PM
Man. England may just pull off a draw in this one. Dravid's decision to not make 'em follow on was a bad, bad blunder.

Dravid should have declared much earlier... he should have been a "bit" more positive in his 12 off 96 balls. India need to score runs quicker and should have declared before Tea.

I guess this shows the difference between a captain who is just content on winning a series and an aggressive captain who wants to win each and every game. I don't blame Dravid too much, because overseas series victory for India does not come too often so he is playing it extra safe.

cricket_dorshok
August 12, 2007, 01:30 PM

the worst one!

Miraz
August 12, 2007, 01:40 PM
Dravid made sure that only one team wins from here. May be a defensive ploy but he has the luxury of wining the series.

In fact top order batsmen made the situation worse for Dravid and he had to kill time to deny England any improbable chance of winning the match.

IMO, not to enforce the follow on was a good decision but India should have accelerated their scoring rate and declared at least at Tea.

Nocturnal
August 12, 2007, 03:21 PM
IMO, not to enforce the follow on was a good decision but India should have accelerated their scoring rate and declared at least at Tea.

Agreed.

Bengaliprince176
August 12, 2007, 04:05 PM
hmmm i disagree, the forecast for today was known yesterday, dravid shud have known that for his swing bolwers, today was best day with the cloud cover. also no sehwag meant that quick accelelration early on is not there. and with aging players like Dravid, Tenu, Laxman and Ganguly (although DAda pleasnatly surprised me) leaving it to Dhoni for acceleration is a tough task.

Bengaliprince176
August 12, 2007, 04:07 PM
however, some may argue that looking at Eden Gardens 2001 Ind vs Aus, not enforcing the follwo on was a good idea, however, this is not Eden Gardens and such a situuiation has happened 3/4 times out of many.

Puck
August 12, 2007, 06:41 PM
let us be realistic here. there are only two possibilities here, an indian victory or a draw. there is much rain on the way and i don't see england scoring moe than 300 on the last day of a match on a turning pitch.

One World
August 12, 2007, 09:29 PM
444 in a day with such weather forecast, with 10 wickets in hand - No series is India's

Nocturnal
August 12, 2007, 09:44 PM
Stumps - Day 4
India 664 & 180/6d
England 345 & 56/0 (20.0 ov)
England require another 444 runs with 10 wickets remaining

MysoreHuli
August 13, 2007, 05:44 AM
Congrats to India on winning the series!

Miraz
August 13, 2007, 05:54 AM
Strauss is first to go. England 79/1

BangladeshFan
August 13, 2007, 06:50 AM
I think England will go for it, if KP the hulk is there and they have 5-6 wickets remaining in the last session, they will throw their bats at the ball.

dravid i think did the right thing, it is still a good batting pitch.it is better to give them a near impossible target , because depending on the situation of the series, most likely england will go for it.

BangladeshFan
August 13, 2007, 11:39 AM
seems like a tame draw in the end. india doesnt have the firepower to blow england over and england doesnt have the batting strength to have a go at that total.

Miraz
August 13, 2007, 11:46 AM
Congratulations to India for the series win, but after taking 319 run first innings lead, failure to win the Test is simply pathetic.

Well done England to save the face.

Murad
August 13, 2007, 12:34 PM
congrats to England, i didnt think they could draw the match.. thanks to pietersen... welll actuallly its India's fault.. they should have declared it at the tea...

al Furqaan
August 13, 2007, 01:14 PM
Congratulations to India for the series win, but after taking 319 run first innings lead, failure to win the Test is simply pathetic.

Well done England to save the face.

not really, a 4th innings 370-6 indicates the pitch was flat as a pancake...england messed up in their 1st innings and/or the wicket was tough then.

lets all remember that this was really a 1-1 draw, rather than a 1-0 series...england will rue their missed chances and they deserve to lose the series, but i wouldn't say that india deserved to win.

DJ Sahastra
August 13, 2007, 01:39 PM
Al Furqaan,

There are many series that we deserved to win but had to be content witha draw or loss because of a bad session.

So whether we deserved to win this or not, i'll take this win as that is what record-books are gonna reflect. It will also spare us the perennial "You are yet to win a series outside Indian sub-continet for past 20+ years" :).

Afterall, to most people, Winning a series in Pakistan, SL, WI, BD, Zimbabwe and Drawing in Australia, England etc. don't count.

Nocturnal
August 13, 2007, 05:03 PM
Well done India.

Ganguly da
August 13, 2007, 06:21 PM
good to see India win finally! ---this is for people who predicted eng would beat india 2-0, we could have won 2-0, if it was not for the illogical decision of dravid to not enforce follow-on. But all in all, great series, great cricket, very entertaining test matches.... i look fwd to more india-eng test series in the future

Zobair
August 13, 2007, 08:24 PM
Congratulations to India! well played to win the series....After the 1st test the Indians recovered really well and pretty much dominated England. Why even bother with a coach? India is doing very well without one...should just retain their current specialized coaching and support staff and they should be fine. The rest of the guidance and leadership can come from the likes of Dravid, Sachin, Ganguli and Kumble.

Fazal
August 14, 2007, 02:48 AM
I am not a Indian Cricket team Fan nor an England cricket team fan. However it was a good series to watch. Here is my observation:

1. I was surprised by Indian performance, specially the way they dominated as the series started.

2. I heard that early summer is the worst timeto play in END for a visitor. In that aspect the timing was not bad for India. Plus there was injury ENG may contribute India's success. However However you slice and dice and spin it.... we need to give 100% credit to Inidan Team for the series win. Kudos to Dravid and Co.

3. I am not a fan of Dada. However I need to admit that Dada's contribution surprised me. I thought he was done a while aga. Looks like he will stick around a little longer.

4. Pretty much dispointed with David's decision and their approach in 4th day. If I were an Indian Fan, I would be MAD at Dravid.

Otherwise pretty good series for India. Congratulation to Indian team and their fans !!!

Bengaliprince176
August 14, 2007, 04:54 AM
thanks for kind words Fazal, Zobair and others!!! btw Faisal u dont like GAnguly.... :( lol only jokin bro!! good win by India, i wished they had won 2-0 it wud have reli rubbed it into England fans also. knowing england fans they will say they shud have won at Lords so it shud have bin a drawn... damn dravid!!!

also special wlcome back to my bro Gangu Dada!!! how have u bin bro?

reverse_swing
August 14, 2007, 06:04 AM
3. I am not a fan of Dada. However I need to admit that Dada's contribution surprised me. I thought he was done a while aga. Looks like he will stick around a little longer.

Same here. This one is a good read!
Guardian: Lord Snooty wins back faithful by dragging India out of the dark ages by (http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/08/13/lord_snooty_wins_back_faithful.html)Dileep Premachandran

(http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/08/13/lord_snooty_wins_back_faithful.html)

Tintin
August 14, 2007, 06:11 AM
4. Pretty much dispointed with David's decision and their approach in 4th day. If I were an Indian Fan, I would be MAD at Dravid.

A very straightforward reason (http://www.hindu.com/2007/08/13/stories/2007081353692100.htm) for not enforcing the follow on was suggested in the match report in Hindu yesterday.

Zaheer Khan appeared unfit in the fourth morning, and even when he bowled a few overs in the evening. It was RP Singh and Kumble who opened the bowling against Panesar and Tremlett, and when RP was about to be rested, it was Sreesanth who warmed up.

So if ZK was not well, pieces will fit in nicely. If India enforced the follow on, either Zaheer would have had to bowl (probably for a day and a half) with an injury, or he would have to be rested. If he was rested till (say) tea, he would not been able to bowl till about lunch on the fifth day. So RSD took the most logical decision - to give Zak as much rest as possible by not bowling till late on the day.

MysoreHuli
August 14, 2007, 08:31 AM
Congrats to Indians on winning the series. I guess they have silenced their critics now.

Puck
August 14, 2007, 09:27 AM
will they ever silence the indian critics!

al Furqaan
August 14, 2007, 11:35 AM
Al Furqaan,

There are many series that we deserved to win but had to be content witha draw or loss because of a bad session.

So whether we deserved to win this or not, i'll take this win as that is what record-books are gonna reflect. It will also spare us the perennial "You are yet to win a series outside Indian sub-continet for past 20+ years" :).

Afterall, to most people, Winning a series in Pakistan, SL, WI, BD, Zimbabwe and Drawing in Australia, England etc. don't count.

drawing a series in OZ is as good as winning anywhere else, IMO...

Ganguly da
August 15, 2007, 03:34 AM
thanks prince, doing well.

Dada was phenomenon....his strike rate, batting style, enthusiasm and delicate strokes delighted many Indian fans... if not for the bad decision TWICE... he would have made a century for sure. He is back and roaring, can't wait to see him perform in the Natwest odi series..

and also Happy Independence day to all Indians here, Tintin, prince, syzagy, and others.

Bengaliprince176
August 15, 2007, 03:59 AM
Happy Independence Day to the Indians out there!!! good to see ur back and well Gangu bro!! ye Dada is on fire, cant wait to see him in ODIs, him and Sachin opening?? glory days of 90s?

BD-Shardul
August 15, 2007, 04:26 AM
My sincere congratulation goes to the winning team, but here is my comment about the India-England series:

This is what happens when luck betrays with you.

England almost won the first game, but rain denied them.

They lost the second match because of their racist attitude, which charged up Zaheer Khan.

As for the third match, if India had to bat second (had they lost the toss), then they would surely had lost the match, unlike England.

The team that deserved to win the series failed to win.

Ganguly da
August 15, 2007, 05:18 PM
My sincere congratulation goes to the winning team, but here is my comment about the India-England series:

They lost the second match because of their racist attitude, which charged up Zaheer Khan.

As for the third match, if India had to bat second (had they lost the toss), then they would surely had lost the match, unlike England.

ummm what the hell does that mean? ifs and buts has no meaning.........I could say the same thing about BD beating India in WC or BD beating Australia too, that if something else would have happened, Australia or India would have won that match... and what makes you think if they had lost the toss we wouldn't bowl them out, or what if they would ask us to bat first.....there could be million scenarios.....who knows if umpire didn't favor them in couple of decisions, maybe India would have made MORE runs... yes, you might say India was lucky in the 1st test, but 2nd and 3rd??? what a childish comment.

bharat
August 15, 2007, 10:19 PM

:lol:
If only England had Beefy and Gatting still playing ....

BD-Shardul
August 15, 2007, 11:41 PM
ummm what the hell does that mean? ifs and buts has no meaning.........I could say the same thing about BD beating India in WC or BD beating Australia too, that if something else would have happened, Australia or India would have won that match... and what makes you think if they had lost the toss we wouldn't bowl them out, or what if they would ask us to bat first.....there could be million scenarios.....who knows if umpire didn't favor them in couple of decisions, maybe India would have made MORE runs... yes, you might say India was lucky in the 1st test, but 2nd and 3rd??? what a childish comment.

You couldn't say that India's loss in the world cup was unlucky because you were outclassed in every department. On the otherhand, England were not totally outclassed. Here is the difference.

AsifTheManRahman
August 16, 2007, 12:00 AM

Dada's dada. Sure, he may have a lot of issues (including having called for a test ban on Bangladesh, but then who hasn't), but he will remain one of my favourites, both as a leader and a batsman. I'm no Indian cricket team fan to be honest (and that's solely because I have my own test nation to back, not because of any grudge or anything of that sort), but I do appreciate and admire what some of the seniors in this Indian team (namely Kumble, Tendulkar, Ganguly and Dravid) have done for the game. To me, Dada's the kind of leader that one would want to look up to - a decent blend of aggression, self-belief, grit, determination and arrogance.

MysoreHuli
August 17, 2007, 01:17 AM

Yeah... the story about the fox and the grapes is very true indeed...:floor:

BangladeshFan
August 17, 2007, 11:44 AM
thanks for kind words Fazal, Zobair and others!!! btw Faisal u dont like GAnguly.... :( lol only jokin bro!! good win by India, i wished they had won 2-0 it wud have reli rubbed it into England fans also. knowing england fans they will say they shud have won at Lords so it shud have bin a drawn... damn dravid!!!

also special wlcome back to my bro Gangu Dada!!! how have u bin bro?

playing gangu in one dayers will backfire. him and laxman should only be used in tests i think. grit and experience are all valuable in tests whereas in one dayers or 20-20 u need flair and youth. someone like yuvraj is far better in shorter version than ganguli.

the team which played against scotland is probably india's best except tendu replacing powar and zaheer replacing agarkar.

Bengaliprince176
August 17, 2007, 01:19 PM
hmm i disagree bro, Ganguly was on fire in the 2nd innings, he had a SR of 80odd good enuf for ODIs and he didnt slog, it was just timing and shot selection, so batting wise Ganguly doenst have a problem. Someone like Gambhir and Utthapa who have thrown their wicktes away needlessly are not better than Ganguly, and Ganguly still has that in his favour for now. although i agree compared to Dravid and Sachin, he isnt as athletic and i doubt his medium pace bolwing will b uselful unles conditions are good for him. we will see though!!

Sohel
August 17, 2007, 10:13 PM
Dada is one of the greatest ODI batsmen in history, period. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action again.