PDA

View Full Version : Lynn McConnel of Wisden takes another crap on Bangladesh

capslock
October 13, 2003, 11:14 AM
article (http://uk.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2003/OCT/315674_AUS_13OCT2003.html)
With Bangladesh also struggling at Test level, there has to be twice the chance that the longevity of Hayden's tenure at the top will be less than expected. It could disappear as quickly as the second Test in Sydney, or when England do battle in Bangladesh.

Wow, she's (he?) writing about a test series between Australia and Zimbabwe and she still can't resisting a 'khocha' against Bangladesh. I really really hate this reporter. Let me get this straight, Australia didn't set any records against Bangladesh when we played them this summer, neither did Pakistan (who we almost beat), and England went all out for 253 against our under 19 side and she's claiming that an English batsman will score 380+ against us? Uh, sure Lynn, whatever you say.

Mahmood
October 13, 2003, 11:21 AM
He is right, any day any team can do a world record against BD. What that is part of the game.

Any given day BD players also can do a world record against any country (Ash did, Golla did). That is just part of the game.

Last year, when West Indies was not so good, if Someone broke Lara's record, what could anyone do to avoid that? A team, after getting test status will have ups and downs.

Newbie Bangladesh was not the country to give Australia the chance to make some world records, it was Zimbabue. That should make them realize, it can happen against any team, on the contrary, these idiots still find a excuse to chase Bangladesh.

Simply sad. Too many idiots are writing now a days, without understanding the true glory and uncertainity of Cricket.

paco
October 13, 2003, 12:34 PM
Trescothick is definitely a contender to break Lara's (now Hayden's) record, but he will have to score a fifty or two against Bangladesh U-19 first ..

paco
October 13, 2003, 03:33 PM
Ok, so he's scored a 90. Now lesson two, Trashcothick - try scoring a century against BD u-19.

billah
October 13, 2003, 06:40 PM
Caps, haven't we seen the likes of Lynn before the AU tour of Bangladesh? Mr. David Hooks (although, not a sportswriter), for example, sure put his foot in his mouth. We are all familiar with terms such as "Minnows" & "Whipping Boys".

An uncle of mine was telling me, Sri Lanka used to be the laughing stock in the early 70s. "Boy", he would say, "Everyone used to kick Sri Lanka around, it was quite amusing in a sad way to watch them play". Look at Sri Lanka now.

In the brief history of our cricket, as "bad" as we may be, we still don't have the worst record in many major categories. Those honors all belongs to the likes of Australia, Pak, England, to the big boys of cricket. Like Raj says, records can tumble against any team.

Accepting the "Glorious Uncertainity" of cricket, one must understand the need for consistancy in performance. Even consistancy comes and goes with era. Look at the West Indies of the 80s compared to the present version. Richard Hadley ushered the new era of success for New Zealand. For the last 2-3 months, Bangladesh has improved performance with the help of a good coach. It has been spectacular only in comparison to our previous lack of form. The sports writers have gotten used to the disappointment. Til now, we ourselves got used to the abuse. It will all take time to correct. Lynn will not say such things about Sri Lanka today. If BD does better that expected in this series, I will keenly watch Lynn's postseries commentary on our team.

chinaman
October 13, 2003, 06:58 PM
Very well put, billah. Welcome to the board.

billah
October 14, 2003, 03:36 PM
Thank you.