PDA

View Full Version : Happy blessed 15th of Sha'ban!

BanCricFan
August 27, 2007, 03:17 PM
Would like to greet everyone on this blessed night (nisf-us-sha'ban/shab-e-barat/eid-ul-malayika) which is considered the second most sacred night in the Islamic calander. Laylat-ul-Qadr, of course, being the most sacred night in Islam.

Let us make dua for everyone of us; parents, grandparents, siblings, extended fam, our spiritual teachers, scholars, leaders and, especially, the entire muslim ummah.

Please keep me in your supplications. Salam/Peace!

Dhruvo
August 27, 2007, 03:20 PM
there are a few people who think that 15th shaban is for fasting but thats wrong and so is your thoughts about 15th shaban its just a normal day.

ammark
August 27, 2007, 03:22 PM
there are a few people who think that 15th shaban is for fasting but thats wrong and so is your thoughts about 15th shaban its just a normal day.

enlighten us.... why is it wrong?

Miraz
August 27, 2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks for posting it BanCricFan. Tonight is Shab-e-Barat in UK. It's probably night after tomorrow in Bangladesh.

BanCricFan
August 27, 2007, 04:01 PM
Oh, let us also not forget those who have passed away! May Allah shows mercy to them and grant them Jannah! Ameen!

Dhruvo
August 27, 2007, 04:05 PM
does any onme know that shab-e-barat is held only in bangladesh and nowhere else in saudiarabia they dont even know what that means.

BanCricFan
August 27, 2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks for posting it BanCricFan. Tonight is Shab-e-Barat in UK. It's probably night after tomorrow in Bangladesh.

You're welcome, Miraz. Do mention me in your duas. Wish I was in Uk with my friends and fams to celebrate this blessed night!

Rubu
August 27, 2007, 04:06 PM
In USA( or in Michigan at least), most mosques do not recognize Shab-e-barat. I was surprised to find that out, but its true.

Can someone put some light on this about why?

Dhruvo
August 27, 2007, 04:10 PM
In USA( or in Michigan at least), most mosques do not recognize Shab-e-barat. I was surprised to find that out, but its true.

yes thats what i am saying, same here in saudia aswell,so its just held in bd and believed in bd so there might not be any shab-e-barat but still i enjoy the night of shab-e-barat

BanCricFan
August 27, 2007, 04:24 PM
does any onme know that shab-e-barat is held only in bangladesh and nowhere else in saudiarabia they dont even know what that means.

Dear Dhrubo, lets not dispute tonight. I have studied Islamic Fiqh (jurisprudence) in different countries and have come across many "adilla" or proofs of validity of 15th of Sha'ban... Saudi Arabia is run by the Wahabi sect and they don't follow any traditional "school of thoughts" or madhabs. Therefore, you have not seen them observing this blessed night. Rest assure, this is not a "bid'a" or innovation in Deen.

I wish you all the blessing this night might have in store for you:-)

Dhruvo
August 27, 2007, 04:27 PM
Dear Dhrubo, lets not dispute tonight. I have studied Islamic Fiqh (jurisprudence) in different countries and have come across many "adilla" or proofs of validity of 15th of Sha'ban... Saudi Arabia is run by the Wahabi sect and they don't follow any traditional "school of thoughts" or madhabs. Therefore, you have not seen them observing this blessed night. Rest assure, this is not a "bid'a" or innovation in Deen.

I wish you all the blessing this night might have in store for you:-)
okay me too i wish you all the blessings,good luck bro in ur life

BanCricFan
August 27, 2007, 04:30 PM

Could they be run by the Wahabis/salafis??

Read "Ihya-uloom-ud-deen" by Imam Al-Ghazzali and the chapter of "nisf-us-sha'ban" or 15th of Sha'ban.

sunnyctg
August 27, 2007, 04:40 PM
Well i dont follow the religion but i do know about rules of islam. I have talked with alot of knowledgable islamic people in london. So far they all said not to celebrate days like shab-e-barat. Its made up. Infact some of them actually said its a sin to do so. But countries like bd(and only in bd??!) celebrates it quite big. Then again they also worship things like mazar and self claimed peers. (To me they are just a bunch of con and scam who's robbing poeple by immotionally blackmailing them). So m not surprized.

BanCricFan
August 27, 2007, 04:42 PM
okay me too i wish you all the blessings,good luck bro in ur life

thats the spirit, my brother in Islam and humanity! Wish you success here and in hereafter! Keep me in your duas as you're in a blessed land!

Fazal
August 27, 2007, 04:43 PM
Celebrate or no celebrate... I miss these though....

http://meenar71.tripod.com/about_me/image/recipe/dim_halua.jpg
http://meenar71.tripod.com/about_me/image/recipe/gajor_halua.jpg
http://www.giftmela.com/images/837_thumb.jpg

different color different flavour.... hard to resist.

BanCricFan
August 27, 2007, 04:46 PM
Well i dont follow the religion but i do know about little ideas about rules of islam. I did talk alot of knowledgable islamic scholers. So far they all said not to celebrate days like shab-e-barat. Its made up.

I hope oneday you will follow this beautiful "way of life"! May Allah open your heart to Islam!

Miraz
August 27, 2007, 04:48 PM
I hope oneday you will follow this beautiful "way of life"! May Allah open your heart to Islam!

Amen.

BanCricFan
August 27, 2007, 05:01 PM
Just to make sure- I do acknowledge there are some dubious stuffs goes on in the name of "Shab-e-barat" in some countries, i.e- lighting candles in graveyards etc which are frowned upon by the scholars, whom, otherwise, encourage the observance of 15th of Sha'ban.

sunnyctg
August 27, 2007, 05:05 PM

well thank you. Even one day, if i do see enough convincing reason to turn into religious, i would make sure i am following the right and proper islam and not the human made up stuff ;)

BanCricFan
August 27, 2007, 05:16 PM
well thank you. Even one day, if i do see enough convincing reason to turn into religious, i would make sure i am following the right and proper islam and not the human made up stuff ;)

smart donkey:-p

sunnyctg
August 27, 2007, 05:27 PM
smart donkey:-p

hehe, u seemed completely ignored about my knowledge and went after my personal believe instead. But seriously BanCricFan, i do know what i m talking about and there isnt any space for shab-e-barat in Islam. If you think i am talking rubbish, go soudi, find the biggest scholer and ask that. He probaby wouldnt even hav a clue what exactly u were talking about.

Miraz
August 27, 2007, 05:30 PM
sunny, a scholar from Saudi is not necessarily the most knowledgeable scholar of Islam.

Rubu
August 27, 2007, 05:33 PM
I'm kind of double minded here. One, since I'm grown up that way, I'm leaned toward following it, then on the other hand when they say this I kind of find it logical: Allah gave humans free will. Then, what is there about writing luck? If everything is written on this night, what is the point of trying for things. What meant to happen will happen, right?

I'm confused, need some insight.

AF, what you think?

tanim4u
August 27, 2007, 05:34 PM
sunny, a scholar from Saudi is not necessarily the most knowledgeable scholar of Islam.
i guess those madrasha passed scholer have better knowledge then those do understand arabic by heart.....

sunnyctg
August 27, 2007, 05:36 PM
miraj bhai, why dont u go to a good mosque in london and find out. There are loads of mosque with alot of knowledgable imam from middle east. Dont go to the one thats run by pakistanis/bangalis tho..lol, they will tell u to go mazars n stuff..hehe

Miraz
August 27, 2007, 05:41 PM
i guess those madrasha passed scholer have better knowledge then those do understand arabic by heart.....

So tanim, you think only Saudis understand Arabic by heart?

Poor fella.

Try to understand the post before commenting on it. Arabic is mother tongue of at least 30 countries, and many of them are blessed with Islamic scholars.

Nocturnal
August 27, 2007, 05:43 PM
I like to pray in shab-e-barat. Anyone knows which night it is in Canada?

BanCricFan
August 27, 2007, 05:46 PM
miraj bhai, why dont u go to a good mosque in london and find out. There are loads of mosque with alot of knowledgable imam from middle east. Dont go to the one thats run by pakistanis/bangalis tho..lol, they will tell u to go mazars n stuff..hehe

must say...you're extemely well informed for someone who is not interested in religion;)

tanim4u
August 27, 2007, 05:47 PM
So tanim, you think only Saudis understand Arabic by heart?

Poor fella.

Try to understand the post before commenting on it. Arabic is mother tongue of at least 40 countries, and many of them are blessed with Islamic scholars.
Dude, I just said arabic scholar and that certainly doesn't mean from Soudi Arab and I was just being sarcastic that a scholar who learned in Arabic sould understand Arabic more then those who are passing from our poor quality madrasha? Ain't it? Or You will say I am wrong?

Rumz_01
August 27, 2007, 05:50 PM
MashAllah, words here very enlightening..wish all the best..on this Blessed Nite, during Ramdhan, n the rest of the years to come!
God Bless

Rubu
Heat is building up here, so have a old old joke, just to lighten up:

[বাংলা]শবে বরাতের রাতে আল্লাহ সবার ভাগ্য লেখা শুরু করে। তো, তিঁনি তো থাকেন উপরে, মানে আকাশে, তাই যারা উপরে থাকে মানে উচা উচা বিল্ডংয়ে, তাদেরটা আগে লেখা শুরু করে।
লেখতে লেখতে যখন মাটিতে থাকা গরিবদের কাছে আসে, তখন দেখে যে সকাল হয়ে গিয়েছে। তো সময় স্বল্পতার কারনে লিখে দেয়:

ঐ।

তাই গরিবের ভাগ্যের কোন পরিবর্তন হয় না।
[/বাংলা]

sunnyctg
must say...you're extemely well informed for someone who is not interested in religion;)

Someone who dont follow something doesnt mean that someone doesnt have enough knowledge about it, i gotta disappoint you in that case i am afraid. Dont under estimate people :P .

tanim4u
August 27, 2007, 05:53 PM
nicely said sunny...people should have respect to other people before they start talking about them...

Miraz
August 27, 2007, 05:54 PM
Dude, I just said arabic scholar and that certainly doesn't mean from Soudi Arab and I was just being sarcastic that a scholar who learned in Arabic sould understand Arabic more then those who are passing from our poor quality madrasha? Ain't it? Or You will say I am wrong?

Understanding Arabic better hardly has any correlation with understanding Islam better. It definitely helps, but willingness to learn Islam is far more important.

Many native Arabic speakers do not follow Islam at all.

Anyway you failed to understand my post (which you quoted), and I don't have a very high expectation from you.

sunnyctg
August 27, 2007, 05:54 PM

[বাংলা]শবে বরাতের রাতে আল্লাহ সবার ভাগ্য লেখা শুরু করে। তো, তিঁনি তো থাকেন উপরে, মানে আকাশে, তাই যারা উপরে থাকে মানে উচা উচা বিল্ডংয়ে, তাদেরটা আগে লেখা শুরু করে।
লেখতে লেখতে যখন মাটিতে থাকা গরিবদের কাছে আসে, তখন দেখে যে সকাল হয়ে গিয়েছে। তো সময় স্বল্পতার কারনে লিখে দেয়:

ঐ।

[/বাংলা]

LOL @ rubu's comment . glad someone has a good sense of humor here. But nicely put tho, cant urgue to that..haha :floor:

tanim4u
August 27, 2007, 05:58 PM
Understanding Arabic better hardly has any correlation with understanding Islam better. It definitely helps, but willingness to learn Islam is far more important.

Many native Arabic speakers do not follow Islam at all.

Anyway you failed to understand my post (which you quoted), and I don't have a very high expectation from you.
Dude, you still din get my point..i was just worried about folks who passsed from our madrasha....and you are taking it as a personal attack

tanim4u
August 27, 2007, 05:59 PM

ঐ।

[/বাংলা]
agrees....with Rubu

BanCricFan
August 27, 2007, 05:59 PM
Someone who dont follow something doesnt mean that someone doesnt have enough knowledge about it, i gotta disappoint you in that case i am afraid. Dont under estimate people :P .

point taken...but, underestimate...noo!

ok. I got it...you don't follow something yet you're knowledgable about it... Righty, Right!

Miraz
August 27, 2007, 06:02 PM
Dude, you still din get my point..i was just worried about folks who passsed from our madrasha....and you are taking it as a personal attack

OK, tell me where from you got the correlation between my post
Originally Posted by Miraz
sunny, a scholar from Saudi is not necessarily the most knowledgeable scholar of Islam.and our madrasa passed scholar.

sunnyctg
August 27, 2007, 06:05 PM
point taken...but, underestimate...noo!

ok. I got it...you don't follow something yet you're knowledgable about it... Righty, Right!

Emm, i know about Hindu religion , and chistianity , and buddhism and some african religion too! so what is your point? i should start going mondir, church, and pegoda now ? I thought rubu was the funny guy here !! but u seem to be proving me wrong atleast about that ! lol

BanCricFan
August 27, 2007, 06:07 PM

Did you know that, historically, most of the famous grammarian of arabic language have been non-arab?

FYI, many Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Indonesian...scholars have a better command of classical Arabic than many Arab scholars.

tanim4u
August 27, 2007, 06:08 PM
OK, tell me where from you got the correlation between my post

and our madrasa passed scholar.

dude I am really amazed that You not seeing my point and yet the corrolation.....Did i ever took the Word Saudi Arab, You are the one who took it..just revise your own post and i was just being sarcastic about our madrasah education and education in arabic....

Miraz
August 27, 2007, 06:16 PM
dude I am really amazed that You not seeing my point and yet the corrolation.....Did i ever took the Word Saudi Arab, You are the one who took it..just revise your own post and i was just being sarcastic about our madrasah education and education in arabic....

hmmm.. that's the problem of jumping into anything without going through the thread.

That post by me sunny, a scholar from Saudi is not necessarily the most knowledgeable scholar of Islam was directed towards sunny in response to his following post.

If you think i am talking rubbish, go soudi, find the biggest scholer and ask that. He probaby wouldnt even hav a clue what exactly u were talking about.Next time, please try to go through the thread to understand the ongoing conversations before jumping into anything.

tanim4u
August 27, 2007, 06:18 PM
i wrote it in a sarcastic way...and you should have understod it..if not..i have nothing to say about it

BanCricFan
August 27, 2007, 06:24 PM
Emm, i know about Hindu religion , and chistianity , and buddhism and some african religion too! so what is your point?

Aha...so, you're a "jack of all but master of none"...STOP giving fatwas then(specially, quoting arab/middle-eastern mosques as evidence for your claims)!!!

btw, your English is getting better by the minutes!

sunnyctg
August 27, 2007, 06:27 PM
what a coincident, as i was talking about shab-e-barat to you guys , there is a programme going on in Channel S(british bangali channel) and the imam over there talking about sab-e-barat. he just said this :

' Shob-e-barat er kono speciality nei. Shudhu Ei rat ke uddessho kore namaj pora , kinba mishti bitoron kora, kinba atoshbaji fotanor kinba gosol korar shathe Islam er kono shomporko nei. Ami apnader onurodh korbo apnara ei dhoroner kaj theke biroto thakun. Apnara jodi emni namaj porte chan ei rat e tahole kono badha nei, sheta ei rat noi, je kono rat e porte paren. '

hehe, poor BanCricFan :P its alright man, Next time buddy ;)

tanim4u
August 27, 2007, 06:39 PM
what a coincident, as i was talking about shab-e-barat to you guys , there is a programme going on in Channel S(british bangali channel) and the imam over there talking about sab-e-barat. he just said this :

' Shob-e-barat er kono speciality nei. Shudhu Ei rat ke uddessho kore namaj pora , kinba mishti bitoron kora, kinba atoshbaji fotanor kinba gosol korar shathe Islam er kono shomporko nei. Ami apnader onurodh korbo apnara ei dhoroner kaj theke biroto thakun. Apnara jodi emni namaj porte chan ei rat e tahole kono badha nei, sheta ei rat noi, je kono rat e porte paren. '

ahale...becara der mukhe thappor........nothing personal...

BanCricFan
August 27, 2007, 06:44 PM
what a co-incident, as i was talking about shab-e-barat to you guys , there is a programme going on in Channel S(british bangali channel) and the imam over there talking about sab-e-barat. he just said this :

' Shob-e-barat er kono speciality nei. Shudhu Ei rat ke uddessho kore namaj pora ,kinba mishti bitoron kora, kinba atoshbaji fotanor kinba gosol korar shathe Islam er kono shomporko nei. Ami apnader onurodh korbo apnara ei dhoroner kaj theke biroto thakun. Apnara jodi emni namaj porte chan ei rat e tahole kono badha nei, sheta ei rat noi, je kono rat e porte paren. '

just a second ago, you were advising Miraz not to pay any attention to any "Pakistani/Bangali" imams...and now you're jumping by a guy on the box?!

I once heard a Wahabi Bangali "imam" claimimg more knowledge than Al-Ghazzali!
Maybe its him on the box...;)

BanCricFan
August 27, 2007, 06:46 PM
OK. Good night, guys!

Puck
August 27, 2007, 07:00 PM
what a co-incident, as i was talking about shab-e-barat to you guys , there is a programme going on in Channel S(british bangali channel) and the imam over there talking about sab-e-barat. he just said this :

sunny, you seem to be vying for a fight. if you have to fight, please do so for a worthy cause. let that cause be to alleviate suffering and to spread peace.

i think miraz had been rather more tolerant than i would have been in this instance!

islam means peace within one's soul. the message of islam is to spead that peace. in this islam follows the biblical tradition of 'blessed be the peacemakers'. islam, scripturally specifies a total submission to the creator. this submission isn't just for the sake of bowing towards mecca but it signifies a spiritual cleansing. any act of submission to the islamic allah fills the muslim soul with peace. as the religion spread through the lands adjoining arabia it took on local customs. if muslims in these lands engage in these non-arabic customs and finds peace, there is little that would be counter to the spirit of islam.

that which fills your soul with peace, if that peace had not been earned through torture of another is perfectly within the spirit of islam.

bida or innovation is forbidden within islam. however, a very strict reading of the quran in its historical, cultural and spiritual context would show you that the only forbidden act in the quran is to doubt the oneness of allah.

once you have fully read the quran, took time to think to think about what is expressed, please feel free to come back and lecture us on what should and should not be observed. until then, please allow the peace to prevail. that is afterall, the essence of islam.

ammark
August 27, 2007, 07:02 PM
why are people so obsessed about "rituals" and "traditions" in islam. Shab-e-barat, to shara raat ami namaj kayem korle tomar ki? Allah SWT shob dekhe.

as far as I have read, I agree with BanCricFan.... it is a night of great virtue. And there are a few nights like these, that many arab jamaats do not continue to follow. Often because what we do in BD, Ind, Pak is influenced culturally from Irani Shi'a cultures and traditions.

At the end of the day (or night) what matters is your relationship with Allah, not if its bid'a or not. Namaaj behesht'er chabi.

tanim4u
August 27, 2007, 07:04 PM
do u have any location for beheshto?..jonab ammark?

ammark
August 27, 2007, 07:07 PM
do u have any location for beheshto?..jonab ammark?

try jannah

ammark
August 27, 2007, 07:09 PM
I like to pray in shab-e-barat. Anyone knows which night it is in Canada?

Today was 14 Sha'ban according to my Athan software, so tonight will be 15th and tomorrow the 15th.

tanim4u
August 27, 2007, 07:10 PM
and jannah is?

ammark
August 27, 2007, 07:11 PM
and jannah is?

Valhalla

tanim4u
August 27, 2007, 07:12 PM
will u explain a bit, i guess u pose lots of knowledge about it?

sunnyctg
August 27, 2007, 07:13 PM
just a second ago, you were advising Miraz not to pay any attention to any "Pakistani/Bangali" imams...and now you're jumping by a guy on the box?!

I once heard a Wahabi Bangali "imam" claimimg more knowledge than Al-Ghazzali!
Maybe its him on the box...;)

Well I don’t think anything is going to change your mind, so I probably going to stop now. I understand its embarrassing for you to accept what I am saying since you have opened this thread about celebrating shab-e-barat where it doesn’t exist in Islam religion. And i am not blaming you, the society that we have grown up in gave us lots misconception about this religion. Anyway enough said, but next time BanCricFan, if you are trying to disprove something, attack the words of the speaker with your facts instead of lame attacks on the speaker himself. Because that is just rude and only succeeds to show the lack of intellegence on your part. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

ammark
August 27, 2007, 07:13 PM
will u explain a bit, i guess u pose lots of knowledge about it?

Pretend you're a viking, go wage war, die... and you'll be there. ...from my limited knowledge

Miraz
August 27, 2007, 07:15 PM
Pretend you're a viking, go wage war, die... and you'll be there. ...from my limited knowledge

Hehehehe....

ammark [বাংলা]তুলনাহীন :)[/বাংলা]

Nocturnal
August 27, 2007, 07:24 PM
Today was 14 Sha'ban according to my Athan software, so tonight will be 15th and tomorrow the 15th.

Thanks ammark.

Puck
August 27, 2007, 07:25 PM

you are referring to valhalla. the american indians call it the happy hunting ground.

al Furqaan
August 27, 2007, 07:39 PM
Could they be run by the Wahabis/salafis??

Read "Ihya-uloom-ud-deen" by Imam Al-Ghazzali and the chapter of "nisf-us-sha'ban" or 15th of Sha'ban.

in michigan there are large number of shia actually...as most of the muslims there are lebenese and iraqi immigrants.

al Furqaan
August 27, 2007, 07:59 PM
AF, what you think?

first of all, i am no a'lim (scholar). i like to pick up things from here and there and then using my own brain decide if i believe in it or not (which is what everyone does anyways).

what i believe is that shaban is a special month as oppossed to say february or rabi ul awwal. this might be because of its proximity to ramadan but who knows.

as far as the 15th of shaban being a day that decided your fate for the next year, i highly doubt this.

there are hadith from sahih al bukhari which states that allah has already gotten a knowledge of our entire life which is written down before we are born. this would completely negate shab e boraat, if true. this is not to say allah chooses our actions for us and we have no control. he is ominiscent; he knows all. this means he knows what actions we will choose for ourselves and writes that down as history.

however, i have also heard that allah can and does rarely change the destiny of people from time to time.

given these complex and often contradictory items, i have over time began to develop a skepticism of the body of scripture we today call the "hadith and sunnah." all muslims agree that only the quran is of 100% accuracy and truth. but even if 99% of the hadith is true, that 1% uncertainty is always lurking in my mind. thus i use a principle by which i analyze a hadith and if it is out of synch with the quran then i disregard it.

so far, i have not personally come across anything in any literature i have read about the fatalism of the 15th of shaban. of course i am not extremely well read by any standard of the phrase either. but even supposing its existence, i would not know what to do with it because it doesn't actually contradict anything in the quran nor is it backed up by the quran.

al Furqaan
August 27, 2007, 08:06 PM
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=45029

the pakpassion discussion on shab e boraat...apparently some of them believe in it too.

One World
August 27, 2007, 09:19 PM
Tokhon:

1. Gather in my grandpa's big house - main target grandma's chaler atar ruti and shuji, booter halua etc.
2. Showers and prayer for Magrib in Jamaat at nearby mosque
3. Coming back, start tasbih
4. Have vurivoj
5. Go back for Isha Jamaat
6. Start Nafl 20 rakkat reluctantly
7. Start para berano with Tarabati
8. Pray for Bitr
9 Almost time to fazr so head to the graveyard to pray for the near and dear ones who left - its full of fakir, shadhu and musollis
10. Pray Fazr and go to sleep
11. Wake up to have more of the halua-ruti - freely give away to people at your door

Ekhon:

Log in to Banglacricket.com and suddenly find out there is a thread which is claiming that Shab e Barat has already past yesterday, another Eid is coming and be ready to go to office as usual if a work day. :smug:

ialbd
August 27, 2007, 10:19 PM
will pray some extra rakat tonight inshAllah.... praying for Bangladesh and all its people....

tutul
August 28, 2007, 01:14 AM
enlighten us.... why is it wrong?

<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1>
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Celebrating Shab-e-Barat:

In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is no one (no idol, no person, no grave, no prophet, no imam, no dai, nobody!) worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad(saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.

No person who ever walked on this planet earth worshipped Allah Subhanah better than the person of the noble Messenger of Allah, Mohamed ar-Rasool Allah (saws)! And there is absolutely no evidence in the Quran and Sunnah that the Messenger of Allah (saws) celebrated the night of 15th Shabaan in a special way, or commanded that the believers treat this night as superior or different than any other night of the year. And if Allah and His Messenger (saws) did not command the believers to celebrate this night in a special way; it does not behove the believers who sincerely believe in Allah and the Last Day, to innovate a new ritual in the deen approved by Allah Subhanah and practiced by the noble Messenger of Allah (saws). Whoever introduces or follows any innovation in the deen of Islam will be guilty of the heinous sin of ‘bidah’!!!

Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 4515 Narrated by Ali ibn AbuTalib
That the Prophet of Allah (saws) said: “If anyone introduces an innovation (in religion), he will be responsible for it. If anyone introduces an innovation or gives shelter to a man who introduces an innovation (in religion), he is cursed by Allah, by His angels, and by all the people.”

Sahih Muslim Hadith 1885 Narrated by Jabir ibn Abdullah
That the Prophet of Allah (saws) said in a sermon: “The best speech is that which is embodied in the Book of Allah, the Al Quran; and the best guidance is the guidance given by me, Mohamed (saws). The most evil affairs are the innovations, and every innovation is an error.”

Why People Celebrate Shab-e-Barat?

There is absolutely no evidence in the Quran and Sunnah that the 15th of Shabaan is a night superior to any other night of the year, or that it has to be celebrated in a particular manner. And if Allah and His Messenger (saws) have not approved of the celebration of this particular night, it does not matter in the least who introduced this innovation, or how many billions of people follow this innovation, or for how many thousands of years this night has been celebrated: it still remains an innovation, and as with all innovations in the deen of Islam, it must be immediately rejected by the believers who sincerely believe in Allah and the Last Day.

The criteria for something being right and wrong is not how many people do a deed, or for how many years the deed has been in circulation; but the one and only criteria for the believers has to be the approval of the deed from the Quran and Sunnah. This exact argument that a deed was right just because it was being followed for thousands of years since the time of their forefathers was used by the pagans to justify their ways of shirk and disbelief has been unequivocally refuted and dispelled by Allah Subhanah Himself several times in the Glorious Quran!

Allah says in the Holy Quran Chapter 2 Surah Baqarah verse 170-171:When it is said to them, “Follow the Commands that Allah has sent down”, they reply, “We will follow only what we found our forefathers practising.” Well, will they go on following their forefathers even though they did not use common sense and did not find the Right Way! The mental condition of those who rejected the way of Allah may be likened to that of the cattle whom the shepherd calls but they hear nothing except the sound of shouts and cries. They are deaf, they are dumb, they are blind; therefore they do not understand anything.

Allah says in the Holy Quran Chapter 31 Surah Luqman verse 21:And when it is said to them, “Follow what Allah has sent down”, they say, “We shall only follow that upon which we found our forefathers.” What! Will they still be following them even if Shaitaan had been calling them to the raging Fire?

Allah says in the Holy Quran Chapter 34 Surah Saba verse 43:When Our clear Revelations are recited to these people, they say, “This person only wants to turn you away from those deities whom your forefathers have been worshipping.”

Allah says in the Holy Quran Chapter 43 Surah Zukhruf verse 22-25:Nay! But they say, “We found our forefathers on a way and we are only walking in their footsteps.” Even so, whenever before you We sent a warner to a habitation, its people of means said, “We have found our forefathers on a way and we are only following in their footsteps.” Every Prophet asked them, “Will you still go on following the same old way even if I guide you to a more right way than that you found your forefathers following?” They replied, “We disbelieve the religion with which you have been sent.” Consequently, We took vengeance on them. Just consider what was the end of those who denied.

Allah and His Messenger (saws) have denied to give this night any more importance than any other night of the year; thus it does not matter if the whole world celebrates this night in a special manner, it will always remain an innovation!!

Just imagine if the same be said about the celebrations of Christmas or Diwali or any other pagan celebrations; that they are right just because they have been celebrated for thousands of years! Will that argument make these celebrations legal in the sight of Allah Subhanah???

Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allah’s Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

Source: http://islamhelpline.com

Dhruvo
August 28, 2007, 02:53 AM
yes thats quiet true a good point there.

BD-Shardul
August 28, 2007, 03:29 AM
Oh, let us also not forget those who have passed away! May Allah shows mercy to them and grant them Jannah! Ameen!

Ameen

BD-Shardul
August 28, 2007, 03:34 AM
<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1>
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Celebrating Shab-e-Barat:

In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, ...........................the Only Source of Strength.

Source: http://islamhelpline.com

Thank you very much, Tutul bhai. You have done a great job. Actually there is no Shabe Barat, I knew that before, but didn't say that first because I didn't have the patience like you to search all those supporting materials, and present it in the forum.

Another thing, Although there is no Shabe Barat absolutely, still people should perform ibadah on this day. Because the 13, 14, and 15th of any lunar month if full of blessings.

BD-Shardul
August 28, 2007, 03:36 AM
first of all, i am no a'lim (scholar). i like to pick up things from here and there and then using my own brain decide if i believe in it or not (which ..........................up by the quran.

Ditto al Furqan Bhai.

Puck
August 28, 2007, 04:27 AM
Well I don’t think anything is going to change your mind, so I probably going to stop now. I understand its embarrassing for you to accept what I am saying since you have opened this thread about celebrating shab-e-barat where it doesn’t exist in Islam religion. And i am not blaming you, the society that we have grown up in gave us lots misconception about this religion. Anyway enough said, but next time BanCricFan, if you are trying to disprove something, attack the words of the speaker with your facts instead of lame attacks on the speaker himself. Because that is just rude and only succeeds to show the lack of intellegence on your part. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

sunny, little knowledge is dangerous ;)

where do you think the idea of haj, fasting and proskynesis come from?

for centuries, bedouin arabs would be circumambulating around numerous holy houses like the kaba littered around arabia. there are around five of these huts mentioned in thamudic inscriptions and safaitic graffitti gave geographical details of three. lihayanite inscription also pinpoints one such holy house. since we are still working on deciphering new tablets and graffities found in arabia, and in some case still seperating the vowels from consonants, there might be many more found. so it would appear that the circumambulation of the kaba is actually an arab custom from pre-islamic times with it being first mentioned arond 2nd century BC.

fasting, where does it come from? in judaic and christian tradition fasting is also prevalent. the quran mentions the 'hanif', who were believers of one god before islam came about. sirat al rasul allah, muhammad's first biography mentions one hanif who was different from christians or jews. according to patricia crone, m j kister and some recent research on the notion of the hanif, fasting was widespread within the hanifs. so again, this custom pre-dates islam.

proskynesis, call it prayer through prosthetics or whatever had its origin in persian zoroastrianism as well as sects of the early christian church. most animistic religions from ancient arabia, particularly the worship of the gods baal and dusara, as well as the three daughters of allah invocated rituals that are very similar to the islamic prayer.

all of the above had been incorporated with the islamic tradition of interpretation. the quran does not specify the exact rituals but talks about the importance of them. the ulema settled on the ways of praying, how to go about performing rituals and the rest of the shariya through their 'interpretation' of muhammad's own example. throughout the centuries there had been many additions to these rituals wherever islam spead its wings. many ulema made a living out of propounding theories of rituals.

there are many elements of islam that have foreign origins. abdul wahab, the great theological patriarch of modern saudi arabia was heavily influenced by a number of earlier traditionalists as well as waliullah dihlawi from india. wahab wanted to purify islam of its sufi, ashari and kalam based medieval past. this idea would have grounded to a halt or remained a theory unless a certain tribal chief showed him patronage. thus ibn saud realised that his political ambitions would have much greater influence on arabs if it was wrapped in the cloak of islam. besides, the tribesman had given up islam and reverted to their muruuwa based religion by the sixteenth century anyway. so wahabism became a political cause. the arabs saw the mawala, or non arabian muslims as lesser mortals, in fact, pan arabism propounded the same principle but from the different vantage point. this also accounts for the fact that arabs generally look down upon all other muslims wherever they come from.

rubel_18
August 28, 2007, 05:38 AM
MashAllah, words here very enlightening..wish all the best..on this Blessed Nite, during Ramdhan, n the rest of the years to come!
God Bless

Same to u 2. May Allah Bless You

Rubu
August 28, 2007, 07:52 AM
OK, next question: all the imam's in Bangladesh recites some (what they call) Hadiths that are related to shab-e-barat. Where did those came from?

Another similar thing is called 'Milad'. A very famous thing in Bangladesh but muslims here does not recognize it. What you guys think about Milad?

Rabz
August 28, 2007, 08:10 AM
The bottom line is,
if you want to pray, pray.
Allah gives us way and excuses to repent for your sins and to forgive us.
Whether it is a Holy Night or not, is debatable.
But what is beyond question is your intention. If you believe in your heart that tonight is the night and pray to Him for Forgiveness and His Mercy, who knows, may be He is willing to listen.

You never know when, how and where your prayers would be answered.
So, just pray regardless, and hope this is your time.
Because He works in His own mysterious way.

May Allah bless us all.

Tigers_eye
August 28, 2007, 08:34 AM
Fortunately I did not see this thread yesterday. Tutul bhai and Al Furqaan bhai have saved some work.

I would urge BanCricFan to bring forth his arguement (source included) to validate his claim. From the post #1:

"Would like to greet everyone on this blessed night (nisf-us-sha'ban/shab-e-barat/eid-ul-malayika) which is considered the second most sacred night in the Islamic calander. Laylat-ul-Qadr, of course, being the most sacred night in Islam."

As for the tangent of this thread created by Sunny bhai, Tanim bhaia - I would favor Miraz bhai and others. The basis of my arguement is "Allah gives Knowledge to whomever he (no gender) wants." be it Arabs, Bangladeshi or any other nationality. The person must be sincere and have clean faith. So scholars can be from any country with any mother tongue.

For Rubu:
Milad is for those who likes Misti and nimki. chollishha (40 days after a person dies) is also for those people. Mostly Deshi Maulanas.

Rubu
August 28, 2007, 08:54 AM
For Rubu:
Milad is for those who likes Misti and nimki. chollishha (40 days after a person dies) is also for those people. Mostly Deshi Maulanas.
I think chollishha has come from Hindu tradition. Another one like wearing white after husband's death.

Tigers_eye
August 28, 2007, 09:12 AM
I think chollishha has come from Hindu tradition. Another one like wearing white after husband's death.
Yes, and just to clear myself I don't like misti or nimki to that extent. I am more of a kacchi biriani guy. Usually take two packets.

Miraz
August 28, 2007, 09:18 AM
To best of my knowledge, Milad (in its traditional way we do) is Bida or innovation, same goes to Chollisha and lighting up in Majar.

We can always recite Durud for Prophet Mohammad (sm), but doing that in that fashion is something new in Islam and hence forbidden.

Fazal
August 28, 2007, 09:19 AM
Yes, and just to clear myself I don't like misti or nimki to that extent. I am more of a kacchi biriani guy. Usually take two packets.

So you like chollisha rather than milad. I like both .... those two makes full two course meal.

tutul
August 28, 2007, 12:43 PM
Special days and nights which the Prophet celebrated

In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is no one (no idol, no person, no grave, no prophet, no imam, nobody!) worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad(saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.

Which are the special day and nights, our prophet (saw) prayed & fasted and what are the special dhuas he (saw) made?

Other than the fasts, prayers, and supplications the Messenger of Allah (saws) performed on special occasions like Ramadan, or while on Hajj, or while in battle, or while something specific happened like an eclipse, supplication for rains, funeral prayers, etc.; the Messenger of Allah (saws) did the following as non-obligatory or voluntary deeds, which became his Sunnah for us:

The voluntary prayers of the Prophet (saws):

He used to pray 2 rakah before the obligatory Fajr prayers, 4 rakahs before Dhuhr, 2 rakahs after Dhuhr, 2 rakahs after Magrib, and 2 rakahs after Isha prayers; these voluntary prayers of the Prophet (saws) are known as the Sunnah Muakkedah prayers for us.

The Messenger of Allah (saws) used to pray the late-night prayers which Allah Subhanah has made ‘fard’ for him, but ‘nafl’ or voluntary for the believers.
The Messenger of Allah (saws) always made the last prayers of his night as the ‘witr’ prayers.

At times, the Messenger of Allah (saws) used to pray the Salaat-ud-Duhaa, which is a two rakah prayer about half an hour after the rising of the sun in the morning.

The voluntary fasts of the Prophet (saws):

The Prophet (saws) used to fast two days of the weeks: on Mondays and Thursdays.
The Prophet (saws) used to fast the 13th, 14th, and 15th of every month.
The Messenger of Allah (saws) used to fast on the 10th of Muharram every year, and said in the last year of his life, that if Allah gave him life, he would fast two days (9th and 10th of Muharram or 10th and 11th) the following year; but he died before the following Muharram.

The Messenger of Allah (saws) increased his voluntary fasts in the first half of the month of Sha’baan, and fasted more in the month of Sha’baan than in any other month of the year (other than the obligatory fasts of Ramadan).

The Messenger of Allah (saws) guided the believers who were not performing the Hajj pilgrimage to fast on the 9th of Dhil-Hujja or the Day of Arafah.

The ‘duas’ of Prophet Mohamed (saws):

Nu'man b. Bashir reported that the Prophet (saws) said, "Verily, ‘dua’ (supplication) is worship." Related by Ahmad and Abu Dawood.

It would be practically impossible to list all the duas or supplications of the Messenger of Allah (saws) in this short article, for the lips of the Messenger of Allah (saws) were constantly moist with the Praise of, and supplications to Allah Subhanah all his life.

The Messenger of Allah (saws) supplicated Allah Subhanah when he got up from his sleep, when he wore any new clothes, when he went to the bathroom, when he ate or drank anything, when he finished eating, when he met his family, friends, loved ones, or those who opposed him, when he retired to bed, etc. Whatever deed or act he did, he first sought the help and guidance of Allah Subhanah; such was the life of the noble Messenger of Allah (saws).

Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allah’s Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

Source: Burhan; http://islamhelpline.com

BanCricFan
August 28, 2007, 04:30 PM
I had opened this thread with a view to remind the fellow muslims of the virtue of this blessed night. And to encourage to be mindful about this blessed month and to make du'a for each other, thereby, fostering love and peace! ...But what do I see?...I see that the thread has been hijacked by the "Bid'ah/Shirk/Haram (trigger) happy people" who, otherwise, can't think for themselves and only knows to reproduce page after page from dubious sources.

Its quite disheartening to see so much confusion amongst us muslims- even to do with the very basic aspects of our religious life! Its somewhat understandable though as post-modern muslims are increasingly driven by material success rather than that of the spiritual one. We are devoting ourselves to the study of medicin, law, engineering, accounting, computer science, graphic design etc and not many interested in the pursuit of spiritual/religious knowledge. I'm not questioning the importance of "secular" knowledge but, rather, astonished by the widespread prevalent ignorance being exhibited here with regards to the matter of religion.

Traditionally and historically, greatest gifted minds from the muslim worlds devoted themselves to the study of religious sciences and once they have mastered the "basics" have delved into the study of other "secular" and natural sciences. I use the term "secular" here very loosely as any knowledge to do with needs and benefits is essentially part of the sacred knowledge.

On the otherhand, the post and post-post modern "privileged" muslims have handed over the office of religious knowledge to others to interprete it for them. Most often those who have been entrusted with this grave responsibility are not the most deserving or suitable ones -in terms of- intelligence, socio-economic and educational backgrounds. Needless to say that, generally speaking, religious leadereship is not provided by the gifted minds- who are both politically and economically independent- but by some very average minds.

Even those with privileged socio-economic and educational background and a passing interest in religion have very little idea as to which way the wind of religious politics is blowing...Here enters the Wahabites and their version of Islam propelled by the petro-dollar and the systematic taking over of the mosques, madrasas and universities. They are flooding the muslim worlds with their mass-produced books, booklets and pamphlates. Nothing is being left to the chance. Promising students from the poor background is being wooed away through scholarship to their universities. The result is mass brainwash, confusion, discord, distortion of traditional understanding and disunity.

How do we get out of this dire situation?...First and foremost- we have to free ourselves and our Deen from these hijackers. We must prioritise: "Fard al-'ayn" first and then "Fard -al-kifayyah" as second. Fard-al-'ayn is the obligation of the acquisition of religious knowledge which one must know by necessity. And for me, in this day and age, just the basic knowledge of the five pillars is not sufficient.

The study of the history of Islamic jurisprudence is a must for me, in other word, the understanding of the "four madhabs". Below is al ink to a wonderful article on Four Madhabs by Shaikh Abdal Hakim Murad aka T.J Winter of Faculty of Divinity, Cambridge University.

http://members.cox.net/arshad/newmadhh.htm

Tigers_eye
August 28, 2007, 04:44 PM
Dear BanCricFan,
With due respect I can't access that page. For us less fortunate ones, could you quote and reference the claims that you are making. You have replied (a lengthy one I must say) in the post # 83 without any references to the claims that you made in your first post. Which hadith, who said that and the link to the Quran thats all I ask for. This is my second request to you. (the first one was on Post # 77) Thanks!!

It is better not to use the following words on other muslims "Bid'ah/Shirk/Haram (trigger) happy people". This applies doubly on you because you are more well versed.

You can claim anything you wish against Wahabis or others. Without reference it only stays at what just came out of your mouth. In other words, just your thoughts, not facts. You have prove what you say. Just stating does not cut it.

BanCricFan
August 28, 2007, 05:48 PM
Dear Tigers_eye bhai,
Sorry I overlooked your post 77. I might add not intentionally tho. I'll honour you with a detailed post/response soon enough, insha-Allah. BTW, I've no problem accessing that link. ..Anyone else?

Miraz
August 28, 2007, 05:49 PM
The link is working fine for me. Thanks BanCricFan for sharing the article.

ammark
August 28, 2007, 06:38 PM
Thank you BanCricFan. This following paragraph says much of what concerns me a lot about contemporary born-again muslims.

Today in some Arab capitals, especially where the indigenous tradition of orthodox scholarship has been weakened, it is common to see young Arabs filling their homes with every hadith collection they can lay their hands upon, and poring over them in the apparent belief that they are less likely to misinterpret this vast and complex literature than Imam al-Shafi'i, Imam Ahmad, and the other great Imams. This irresponsible approach, although still not widespread, is predictably opening the door to sharply divergent opinions, which have seriously damaged the unity, credibility and effectiveness of the Islamic movement, and provoked sharp arguments over issues settled by the great Imams over a thousand years ago. It is common now to see young activists prowling the mosques, criticising other worshippers for what they believe to be defects in their worship, even when their victims are following the verdicts of some of the great Imams of Islam. The unpleasant, Pharisaic atmosphere generated by this activity has the effect of discouraging many less committed Muslims from attending the mosque at all. No-one now recalls the view of the early ulama, which was that Muslims should tolerate divergent interpretations of the Sunnah as long as these interpretations have been held by reputable scholars. As Sufyan al-Thawri said: If you see a man doing something over which there is a debate among the scholars, and which you yourself believe to be forbidden, you should not forbid him from doing it. The alternative to this policy is, of course, a disunity and rancour which will poison and cripple the Muslim community from within.

...The belief that ordinary Muslims, even if they know Arabic, are qualified to derive rulings of the Shariah for themselves, is an example of this egotism running wild. To young people proud of their own judgement, and unfamiliar with the complexity of the sources and the brilliance of authentic scholarship, this can be an effective trap, which ends by luring them away from the orthodox path of Islam and into an unintentional agenda of provoking deep divisions among the Muslims. The fact that all the great scholars of the religion, including the hadith experts, themselves belonged to madhhabs, and required their students to belong to madhhabs, seems to have been forgotten. Self-esteem has won a major victory here over common sense and Islamic responsibility.What I believe and understand about Shab-e-barat is from a book that we have used in our family for the past 30+ years. A good guide into religious practice in Islam. I will scan and upload the relevant pages on Shab-e-Barat tonight here.

BanCricFan
August 28, 2007, 07:13 PM
Miraz and ammark, you both are most welcome! There are untold amount of evidence from traditional sources supporting the celebration of both the 15th of Sha'ban and Milad-an-nabi.

Suffice is to say that "Four schools of laws" or madhabs not only allows it but recommends so.

Ammark, let me guess...your family have it for over 30 yrs....Behesti jawar by Ashraf Ali Thanwi??

al Furqaan
August 28, 2007, 07:25 PM
Ammar, back in dhaka already?

al Furqaan
August 28, 2007, 07:42 PM
personally, i believe that bida is something which should be avoided at all costs. its worse than haraam because in haraam things, ppl at least know what they are doing is wrong and feel some sort of guilt (most times).

with bida, people think they are doing good things and thus are in for a rude surprise.

with that being said, it is obligatory on a muslim to inform his fellow brothers and sisters about bida if he/she sees them doing it.

as umar (ra) said ( i think it was umar):

"oh people, save yourselves from the fire and save your family."

with that being said, i feel shab e boraat is bida, but am not sure and thus i won't say anything about it. persoally i didnt celebrate it.

BanCricFan
August 28, 2007, 07:53 PM
personally, i believe that bida is something which should be avoided at all costs. its worse than haraam because in haraam things, ppl at least know what they are doing is wrong and feel some sort of guilt (most times).

with bida, people think they are doing good things and thus are in for a rude surprise.

with that being said, it is obligatory on a muslim to inform his fellow brothers and sisters about bida if he/she sees them doing it.

as umar (ra) said ( i think it was umar):

"oh people, save yourselves from the fire and save your family."

with that being said, i feel shab e boraat is bida, but am not sure and thus i won't say anything about it. persoally i didnt celebrate it.

AF,

Did you go through the Pakpassion link you provided? If not, I suggest you do. You might find the last post there interesting.

tutul
August 28, 2007, 09:10 PM
I had opened this thread with a view to remind the fellow muslims of the virtue of this blessed night. And to encourage to be mindful about this blessed month and to make du'a for each other, thereby, fostering love and peace! ...But what do I see?...I see that the thread has been hijacked by the "Bid'ah/Shirk/Haram (trigger) happy people" who, otherwise, can't think for themselves and only knows to reproduce page after page from dubious sources.

The advent of the day and the night are indeed amongst the Signs of Allah! Every day is a day of Allah, and every night is a night of Allah! But there are some nights which are more significant in the sight of Allah; and it is the Right of Allah and His Messenger Alone to make those nights known to the believers.

For example,
Allah says in the Holy Quran, "the Night of Layla-tul-Qadr is better than a thousand months" (Chapter 97 verse 3).

Only Allah and His Messenger (saws) have the Sole Right to nominate which nights and which days are more significant than the others, and they alone have the Right to guide us how to celebrate these days and nights! We cannot, I repeat, we cannot nominate a night from our own imagination and start declaring that so and so day or night is also significant! That would be manifest error and mis-guidance!

If, according to some people, the Shab-e-Baraat night had more significance than any other night of the year; Allah and His Messenger (saws) would have told us about it! Now unless, the people who celebrate Shab-e-Baraat as a night of religious significance have received some Revelation from Allah, they are in manifest error if they celebrate the night!

Holy Quran Chapter 33 Surah Ahzab verse 21: “There is indeed the best example for you to follow, in the Messenger of Allah, for every such person looks forward to Allah and the Last Day, and remembers Allah much.”

We are commanded in the Holy Quran by Allah Subhanah Himself, to follow the example of the Messenger of Allah (saws). The Messenger of Allah (saws) did not celebrate this night in any way, nor did he exhort the believers to celebrate the night. Everything the Messenger did, say, or was witness to and approved, or was witness to and did not stop the person from doing it, is recorded by his noble ‘ahle-bayt’ and his noble companions. And not one of them has ever mentioned that the Prophet (saws), or his noble ‘ahle-bayt’, or his noble companions gave this night any particular significance!

For all acts of worship, it is mandatory for the believers to see what was the action of the Prophet (saws). No man who ever came to this planet earth, worshipped Allah Subhanah better than the person of the Last Messenger, Muhammad-ar-Rasool-Allah (saws)! If there was a better way to worship and glorify our Lord and Creator, he (saws) would have done it, and taught it to the believers! No person, no moulvi, no mullah, no moulana, no hujjur, no shaikh, no aamil, no bhai-saheb, no dada-bhai, no peer baba, no imaam…. NO ONE has the Right to change or alter the deen of Islam in any way! They have absolutely no right to add anything, nor do they have any right to subtract anything! If they obey and follow the commands of Allah and His Messenger (saws), they are rightly guided; and if they add, subtract or invent anything in this deen of Truth, they have moved away from the Guidance!

Thus, brother, unless you can give any authentic evidence or proof from the Quran and Sunnah that the Messenger of Allah (saws) held the night of Shab-e-Baraat significant in any way; bear witness that it is a name and thing invented after the death of the Messenger of Allah (saws); thus an innovation in the deen of Islam; thus an error; and thus a gross and heinous sin!

It has been reported by Imam Ali ibn Abu Talib (r.a.) that the Prophet of Allah (saws) said: “If anyone introduces an innovation (in religion), he will be responsible for it. If anyone introduces an innovation or gives shelter to a man who introduces an innovation (in religion), he is cursed by Allah, by His angels, and by all the people.”

It has been reported by Jabir ibn Abdullah (r.a.) in another authentic narration that the Prophet of Allah (saws) said in a sermon: “The best speech is that which is embodied in the Book of Allah, the Al Quran; and the best guidance is the guidance given by me, Mohamed (saws). The most evil affairs are the innovations, and every innovation is an error.”

ammark
August 29, 2007, 01:05 AM
Miraz and ammark, you both are most welcome! There are untold amount of evidence from traditional sources supporting the celebration of both the 15th of Sha'ban and Milad-an-nabi.

Suffice is to say that "Four schools of laws" or madhabs not only allows it but recommends so.

Ammark, let me guess...your family have it for over 30 yrs....Behesti jawar by Ashraf Ali Thanwi??

Close. Maqsudul Mu'mineen ba Beheshter Kunji (1972) Maolana Md. Golam Rahman.

The attached images are scanned pages about Shab-e-barat from that book. There are some hadith he has mentioned to explain his cause. I will not argue with what he has written, nor will I argue against tutul bhai's comments. I think I will follow my conscience and believe what I have to. bid'a or no bid'a... my salaat is to Allah. If I offer namaaz to Allah, even with the knowledge that it isnt fard or wajib on me... is that bid'a too?

Ammar, back in dhaka already?

No. I move out of my place tomorrow... and prolly fly out on the 6th. Am going to NYC this weekend though.

BD-Shardul
August 29, 2007, 02:41 AM
Close. Maqsudul Mu'mineen ba Beheshter Kunji (1972) Maolana Md. Golam Rahman.

The attached images are scanned pages about Shab-e-barat from that book. There are some hadith he has mentioned to explain his cause. I will not argue with what he has written, nor will I argue against tutul bhai's comments. I think I will follow my conscience and believe what I have to. bid'a or no bid'a... my salaat is to Allah. If I offer namaaz to Allah, even with the knowledge that it isnt fard or wajib on me... is that bid'a too?

No. I move out of my place tomorrow... and prolly fly out on the 6th. Am going to NYC this weekend though.

NO OFFENSE PLEASE.

Ammark Bhai,

I have read both Maksadul Mumeen and Beheshter kinji, and I can tell you that these books are not reliable at all. If you wanna show proof, then show it from Bhukhari Sharif (Traslated by Moahddis Ajijul Haque).

Puck
August 29, 2007, 05:14 AM
the hadiths about shab-e-barat are all dubious in the sense that the chain of transmissions are quite weak.

however, as i stated a number of times in this thread, spiritual worship of the creator in any form can't possibly be wrongful in the eyes of that very creator. it matters little if you start praying facing japan or that you fast on a different month than ramadan. the essence of islam is in tawhid, that is a belief in one god. through that the muslim arrives at the purpose of islam, inner peace. haj, prayer, zakat are all traditions. icing on the cake but not the real deal. the real deal being a spiritual understanding of the nature of god. there is no harm in celebrating any ocassion if it makes the soul happy, especially, if it means giving alms to the poor and improving community relations. in my little experience of shab-e-barat, the festival achieves all that.

you say potato, i say potato..! let us agree to disagree and leave those who don't want to celebrate the night to their own devices.

BanCricFan
August 29, 2007, 05:42 AM
Tutul bhai,

With all due respect what you're producing here is begenning to sound like a broken record. The Quranic verses and Ahadith you're citing- do you think the learned scholars of Islam have not or had not come across these before you and I???

I just wonder if you had time to read the article on "understanding the four madhabs"? If not, I request you to have a browse and kindly give your feedback.

BanCricFan
August 29, 2007, 06:26 AM
NO OFFENSE PLEASE.

Ammark Bhai,

I have read both Maksadul Mumeen and Beheshter kinji, and I can tell you that these books are not reliable at all. If you wanna show proof, then show it from Bhukhari Sharif (Traslated by Moahddis Ajijul Haque).

How did you arrive to this conclusion?? Did you carry out a personal "Tahqiq" of these books??

Sohel
August 29, 2007, 06:54 AM
Rituals create an important sense of unity amongst us Muslims, irrespective of culture and geographical location, while deep, sincere, and internalized prayers should be a part of our everyday lives as individuals.

Sumon77
August 29, 2007, 07:01 AM
Rituals create an important sense of unity amongst us Muslims, irrespective of culture and geographical location, while deep, sincere, and internalized prayers should be a part of our everyday lives as individuals.
but rituals can creat division as well. Not going into debate whether shab-e-barat is legitimate in islam or not, sticking to basics stated in Quran could avoid lot of unnecessary debates.

Sohel
August 29, 2007, 07:17 AM
but rituals can creat division as well. Not going into debate whether shab-e-barat is legitimate in islam or not, sticking to basics stated in Quran could avoid lot of unnecessary debates.

Agee with you 100%. Priesthood, or the assignment of intermediaries between Allah and man's salvation in any shape, way or form, is prohibited in Islam, which first and foremost is an intellectual deen to be interpreted and internalized by individual Muslims willingly and in good, reasoned faith according to his or her ability.

The Holy Qur-aan is the ultimate guide for Muslims. All legitimate scholarship relating to the Holy Qur-aan, other revelations, and "lesser" books can assist us in understanding the revelation better, and help us use that guidance to achieve happiness in this life and the next through the conscious and selfless cultivation of genuine kindness, and social justice as a worldly extension of that most important act.

Sadly, too many Muslims allow themselves to be charmed and assign such intermediaries, follow their guidance without question or thought, and create divisions where there are none in order to impose their will on others without the possibility of a role reversal. Being a Shia Muslim from Old Dhaka, where the relationship between Shias and Sunnis have historically been harmonious enough to render the division as purely cultural, we are beginning to feel a new hatred as our persecuted brothers and sisters in certain other places. Wahabi money from Saudi Arabia and Islamo-Fascist ideologies from Egypt are beginning to take root amongst certain Bangladeshis using Islam for ugly political ends. Luckily, however vocal as they may be, they have become increasingly powerless ever since the connection between JIB and JMB became clear. Not too long ago, upon discovering my Shia roots, a Hizbul Tahrir, UK-educated gentleman told me in not so many words that I should move to a "Shia Country" such as Iran, Iraq, Lebanon or Bahrain before even those places get cleansed of "our influence" and "true Islam" is established everywhere. Being a khass Dhakaiya with 600 years of traceable history by the Burhigaunga, I had to restrain myself from bitch-slapping this gullible imbecile from Rongpur. I am thankful that Allah graced me with the wisdom to do so at the moment.

Only Allah can judge as He alone knows all acts and the intent within. We, as His creation, must know our place.

Rubu
August 29, 2007, 07:29 AM
What I believe and understand about Shab-e-barat is from a book that we have used in our family for the past 30+ years. A good guide into religious practice in Islam. I will scan and upload the relevant pages on Shab-e-Barat tonight here.

Is it a book called 'Moksodul Momenin'?

If yes, please don't bother. It is a book that has more wrong thing than right and make our religion look bad.

Here is a generic question that I asked before: if destiny is written on 15th saban, that means, what will happen to me is fixed for the rest of the year, right? If that is the case, what is the point of trying to do anything. If its written, it will happen and if it is not written, it will not happen. stop study, work and so on and so forth.

BanCricFan
August 29, 2007, 07:31 AM

tusen tak! wisdom!

Rubu
August 29, 2007, 07:33 AM
however, as i stated a number of times in this thread, spiritual worship of the creator in any form can't possibly be wrongful in the eyes of that very creator. To give you one example, it is wrong to fast on a day as a ramadan fast before ramadan starts. You have to pray with the sense of what you are doing. Now, if you pray on 15 saban and say, i want to pray nafal salat, thats fine, but if you say i want to pray sab-e-barat's nafal salat that would be wrong.

BanCricFan
August 29, 2007, 07:37 AM

If yes, please don't bother. It is a book that has more wrong thing than right and make our religion look bad.

Here is a generic question that I asked before: if destiny is written on 15th saban, that means, what will happen to me is fixed for the rest of the year, right? If that is the case, what is the point of trying to do anything. If its written, it will happen and if it is not written, it will not happen. stop study, work and so on and so forth.

but who said that entire destiny is written on this night or any other? Laylatul Bara'at is essentially for extra devotion (nafl) asking for forgiveness and divine providence.

Rubu
August 29, 2007, 07:45 AM
but who said that entire destiny is written on this night or any other? Laylatul Bara'at is essentially for extra devotion (nafl) asking for forgiveness and divine providence.Isn't thats what all Moulana's say about this night? Basically, what does Shab-e-barat means? Night of luck or Night for luck? Must be something on this line.

I do not know if it has been changed in last 7 years or so, but as long as I was there, I heard every moulana describing the night for that (hence the joke came out that I posted on the first page)

BanCricFan
August 29, 2007, 07:46 AM

then what is the point of standing on the "day of arafah" on Haj? following your point- your Haj might be accepted or not regardless of the long standing on Arafah?

Rubu
August 29, 2007, 07:48 AM
then what is the point of standing on the "day of arafah" on Haj? following your point- your Haj might be accepted or not regardless of the long standing on Arafah?That was a question. I need an answer. i did not get your example here. I'm open to arguments and logic. Please explain and we'll go from there.

BanCricFan
August 29, 2007, 07:58 AM
Basically, what does Shab-e-barat means? Night of luck or Night for luck? Must be something on this line.

I see...Shab-e-barat derives from the arabic term "Laylatul Bara'ah". The word Bar'aah derives from the word Bar'a or Bari which can be translated in english as "to be free or absolved".

Hence, Laylatul Bar'aah means "the night of absolution" and not much to do with luck:)

BanCricFan
August 29, 2007, 09:07 AM
the hadiths about shab-e-barat are all dubious in the sense that the chain of transmissions are quite weak.

Some narrations but, not all, concerning this night are weak but this does not matter since weak ahadith are acceptable for virtuous actions. Its an well known accepted position in Usul-al-fiqh... I agree with the rest you've mentioned in your post.

Miraz
August 29, 2007, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Rubu
Basically, what does Shab-e-barat means? Night of luck or Night for luck? Must be something on this line.

Here's the closest one I can say. It has hardly any relation with Luck

Shab-e Barat or Laylatul Barat - the night of forgiveness and atonement

Puck
August 29, 2007, 10:20 AM
term... my post seemed to have been doubled somehow so am editing this!

peace be upon you all!

Puck
August 29, 2007, 10:38 AM
To give you one example, it is wrong to fast on a day as a ramadan fast before ramadan starts. You have to pray with the sense of what you are doing. Now, if you pray on 15 saban and say, i want to pray nafal salat, thats fine, but if you say i want to pray sab-e-barat's nafal salat that would be wrong.

there is nothing wrong in any ritual or practice of it unless it violated your belief from the oneness of allah throughwhich peace is achieved. a footnote is requried here to explain that oneness and the purpose of it. however, without going into a complex discussion of kalam and falsafa, at its core, islam is the promotion of peace.

if it is your family's belief that you must pray on a certain day and that belief fills you with inner peace, there is nothing wrong with that. ALL islamic rituals are based on traditions derived through madhabs, schools of jurisprudence. our forefathers created those. so if they can create customs to bind their community together, to promote peace amongst believers and non believers through a specific interpretation of the quran, so can you and i to earn our own peace! the main tenet of islam is peace within oneself and promoting that peace to others.

like all religions islam has its fair share of inclusivists and exclusivists. i am an inclusivist. peace be upon you whether you are an inclusivist or follow the exclusivists path.

Puck
August 29, 2007, 10:42 AM
Some narrations but, not all, concerning this night are weak but this does not matter since weak ahadith are acceptable for virtuous actions. Its an well known accepted position in Usul-al-fiqh... I agree with the rest you've mentioned in your post.

of course, you are absolutely right above. any act that promotes peace between humans is a noble act. any custom that does so is thus a noble custom. as i keep on reiterating, islam means inner peace.

Puck
August 29, 2007, 10:51 AM
Not too long ago, upon discovering my Shia roots, a Hizbul Tahrir, UK-educated gentleman told me in not so many words that I should move to a "Shia Country" such as Iran, Iraq, Lebanon or Bahrain before even those places get cleansed of "our influence" and "true Islam" is established everywhere.

well, i am hoping that you would start listening to the nice gentleman from hizbut tahrir as well as his brothers from al-muhajurun, and finally settle in iran. not content with just that i would insist that you marry a fine iranian lady who has a doctorate in persian cuisine. this in turn would allow us to visit you in iran and taste the fine cuisine free of charge ;)

i am all for free holidays to iran! when are you leaving?!?

Sohel
August 29, 2007, 11:19 AM
well, i am hoping that you would start listening to the nice gentleman from hizbut tahrir as well as his brothers from al-muhajurun, and finally settle in iran. not content with just that i would insist that you marry a fine iranian lady who has a doctorate in persian cuisine. this in turn would allow us to visit you in iran and taste the fine cuisine free of charge ;)

i am all for free holidays to iran! when are you leaving?!?

As much as I like fesenjoon and bargh kebab, I'd stick to my Dhakaiya roots thank you. The Iranian lady bit is exquisitely tempting to say the least. I remember dating one Shireen in college, Allah bless her soul, whose beauty was sufficient for me to move anywhere she'd take me. She took me to Carmel, California, where her dad, a former Minister from the Shah's cabinet didn't like my views too much.

Actually I used to visit Iran quite often and Isfahan remains one of my favorite places in the world. One of my uncles, born and bred in New Zealand of all places, participated in the Islamic Revolution and created deep ties with the Revolutionary Guard, connections I often take advantage of. However, neither he nor I plan any trips until the idiot Ahmadinejad hits the road. Sadly, the West seems hellbent on keeping him in power.

Anyway, look me up when you're in Dhaka, maybe we can take a trip together, I'm serious.

al Furqaan
August 29, 2007, 09:35 PM
I remember dating one Shireen in college, Allah bless her soul, whose beauty was sufficient for me to move anywhere she'd take me.

dude, iranian women look AMAZING!!!

Dawah_
August 29, 2007, 11:44 PM
Let's ask a real scholar, shall we?

Q: Is there any significance to 15th of Shabaan?

Answer:

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious Most Merciful

There are many Ahaadith that have been narrated on the virtue of the 15th of Sha'baan. One of them is the narration of Sayyiduna Mu'aadh ibn Jabal (Radhiallaahu Anhu) that Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه و سلّم) said,

'Allah Ta'ala turns to his entire creation on the fifteenth night of Sha'baan and forgives all of them except one who ascribes partners to Him and one who harbours enmity in his heart.'

(This Hadith has been recorded by Imaam Tabrani in his Mu'jamul Awsat Hadith6776 and Mu'jamul Kabeer vol.20 pg.108-109)

Imaam ibn Hibbaan (RA) has classified this narration as Sahih (authentic) and has included it in his book – al-Saheeh. (see Sahih ibn Hibbaan vol.12 pg.482; Hadith5665).

Hafiz al-Haythami (RA) has mentioned that all the narrators of this Hadith are reliable. (Majma-uz-zawaaid vol.8 pg.65)

Besides this narration classified as Saheeh by Imaam ibn Hibbaan (RA), there is another classified as sound by Haafiz al-Munzhiri (RA) in his al-Targheeb (vol.3 pg.459). This narration is of Sayyiduna Abu Bakr (Radhiallaahu Anhu) and is recorded by Imaam Bazzaar (RA) in his Musnad. In fact, Hafiz ibn Hajar (RA) has also classified one of its chains as Hasan (sound). (al-Amaalil mutlaqah pgs.119-120)

Besides the above, there are many other Sahaaba (Radhiallaahu Anhum) that narrated Ahaadith regarding the merit of this night, such as: Abu Hurayra (Musnad al-Bazzaar), Abu Tha'labah (Shu'ubul Imaan), Awf ibn Maalik (Musnad al-Bazzaar), Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-Aas (Musnad Ahmad Hadith6642), Abu Moosa al-Ash'ari (ibn Majah Hadith1390; Shu'ubul Imaan Hadith3833) and others. The collective strength of these narrations cannot be refuted.

The general virtue of this night has been accepted by many great Ulama of the past. From among many great scholars which have agreed to the virtue of this night are: Umar ibn Abdul-Aziz, Imaam al-Shaafi'ee, Imaam al-Awzaa'ie, Attaa ibn Yassaar, Imaam al-Majd ibn Taymiyah, ibn Rajab al-Hambaliy and Hafiz Zaynu-ddeen al-Iraaqiy (Rahmatullaahi alayhim) – refer Lataiful Ma'aarif of Hafiz ibn Rajab pgs.263-264 and Faydhul Qadeer vol.2 pg.317

In fact, Hafiz Ahmad ibn Taymiyah [ra] has said,

'As for the middle night of Sha'baan, there are various narrations that have been narrated regarding its significance and it has been reported from a group of the Salaf (predecessors) that they performed Salaat in it individually, hence, such a deed cannot be disputed.'

(Majmoo' al-Fataawa ibn Taymiyah vol.23 pg.132)

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best
Ml. Muhammad ibn Moulana Haroon Abassommar
FACULTY OF SPECIALTY IN HADITH SCIENCES
CHECKED AND APPROVED: Mufti Ebrahim Desai
http://askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.php?askid=364e44a0299d009b501d22018dd451e6

Sohel
August 29, 2007, 11:59 PM
dude, iranian women look AMAZING!!!

Here's what we're talking about-

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e5c242c9e2.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)
Anusheh Ansari, billionaire and astronaut

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/4a516d5515.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)
Asiri, actress

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/5dba976b09.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)
Activists

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/d74803aa96.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)
Poets

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/f17aa47262.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)
Students

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/1fa3f450ff.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)
Models

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/c5fa745cdd.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)
Windows to the Soul

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/70c6284dbd.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)
Simply Hot

ammark
August 30, 2007, 12:04 AM
hehe. Sohel bhai, perhaps if you could get your hands on this documentary: "Raageh Inside Iran" viewable from here http://www.tv-links.co.uk/listings/9/4914

Sohel
August 30, 2007, 12:08 AM
hehe. Sohel bhai, perhaps if you could get your hands on this documentary: "Raageh Inside Iran" viewable from here http://www.tv-links.co.uk/listings/9/4914

Thanks bro.

Just for the record, I still prefer Bangladeshi women, really, no dhatani involved here ... ;)

Puck
August 30, 2007, 04:38 AM
the women of iranian origin whom i had the pleasure of meeting were all very sophisticated and attractive.

the following image cropped up when putting iranian women in a google image search string -
http://english.people.com.cn/200604/30/images/IWF2.jpg

Puck
August 30, 2007, 04:41 AM
as far as documentary photography goes i really like the image below. it says more than it hides..
http://www.wfafi.org/khomeini-women.jpg

BanCricFan
August 30, 2007, 05:13 AM
Jak baba...now this thread has been hijacked by the "Irani lovers":-)

DAWAH,

Salam! Its nice to see you back, bro! How are you??

Puck
August 30, 2007, 06:42 AM
well, at least its better than the previous lot ;)

BanCricFan
August 31, 2007, 10:07 AM
Tigers_eye bhai,

Hope Dawah's post might have answered your query! If you want further info- please do specify.

al Furqaan
September 2, 2007, 03:41 PM
i met this one iranian girl...damn she was fine...anyways her mom was my professor for a while before i dropped the class...

Sohel
September 3, 2007, 08:32 AM
i met this one iranian girl...damn she was fine...anyways her mom was my professor for a while before i dropped the class...

With the somewhat dubious "conflict of interest" removed, what happened next?

Puck
September 3, 2007, 03:24 PM

he felt that it would be unislamic to desire an unmarried woman and that he should really spend his evenings in quaranic studies?

Rabz
September 3, 2007, 10:42 PM
he felt that it would be unislamic to desire an unmarried woman

Does that imply that it would be Islamic to desire a married woman?:-p

tutul
September 4, 2007, 12:42 AM
Tutul bhai,

With all due respect what you're producing here is begenning to sound like a broken record. The Quranic verses and Ahadith you're citing- do you think the learned scholars of Islam have not or had not come across these before you and I???

I just wonder if you had time to read the article on "understanding the four madhabs"? If not, I request you to have a browse and kindly give your feedback.

UNDERSTANDING THE FOUR MADHHABS by Abdal-Hakim Murad is indeed a wonderful article. Thank you for recommendation, I really enjoyed it.

Anyway, Ramadan is coming, let’s get ready for fasting.

BanCricFan
September 4, 2007, 03:35 PM
well, at least its better than the previous lot ;)

Well, I'm not quite sure really;)

BanCricFan
September 4, 2007, 04:15 PM
UNDERSTANDING THE FOUR MADHHABS by Abdal-Hakim Murad is indeed a wonderful article. Thank you for recommendation, I really enjoyed it.

Anyway, Ramadan is coming, let’s get ready for fasting.

Tutul bhai,

Thanks for finding time to read and appreciating the article on Four Madhabs. Jazak Allahu khaira! May Allah ,also, grant a great reward to our brother Abdal Hakim Murad for his efforts. I sincerely do believe that a lot of our confusion stems from our disconnection from the traditional Islamic scholarship. Admittedly, a lot of rust has gathered around "traditional scholarship" but while trying to rid ourselves of these erosions, we have been- at times- guilty of throwing the baby out with the bath water. We need to get re-connected with the legacy of our glorious intellectual- and yet deeply spiritual- tradition.

Yes, the blessed month of Ramadan is very near and I'm in need of your dua's. It is said that the supplication of a muslim for a fellow muslim is more acceptable to the Most Merciful...wassalamu alaikum.:)

Miraz
September 4, 2007, 04:26 PM
A useful link on Fiqh

Fiqh-us-Sunnah (http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/law/fiqhussunnah/)

Compendium of Muslim Texts by University of Southern California

I am now going through the compilation. Not yet at a position to comment.

BanCricFan
September 4, 2007, 05:12 PM
A useful link on Fiqh

Fiqh-us-Sunnah (http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/law/fiqhussunnah/)

Compendium of Muslim Texts by University of Southern California

I am now going through the compilation. Not yet at a position to comment.

The problem with Fiqh-us-Sunnah is that it doesn't adhere to any particular schools of Fiqh (madhabs). It merely points out the rulings of Madhabs on a given subject and leaves it to the readership, rather, encourages them to pick and choose. This is where the danger lies as untrained students (those not have reached the level of Ijtihad) can easily misunderstand complex "legal proofs/texts" (adilla) and go off the rail! Although, Fiqh-us-sunnah can be somewhat helpful but it is essentially an another D.I.Y fiqhi-manual. Therefore, not used by traditional madhabs with exception to some Hanbali schools.

Miraz
September 4, 2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks BanCricFan for your clarification.

To be honest with you, I am very new in these readings.

Can you suggest me a more reliable online source on Fiqh please!

al Furqaan
September 4, 2007, 05:30 PM

well, i did pluck up the balls to speak to her once.

needless to say, i didn't know what to say [to her]...i did learn one thing though: i am no womanizer...i suck at it.

now had she known anything about bangladesh cricket then i coulda spit some incredible game in her ear, but how many iranian women are fans of bangladeshi cricket? lol...

anyways, i ended up asking her if she was indian when i first approached, she said she was iranian - she had an accent which, admittedly, was quite hot. at any rate i had no idea her mom was my professor! she asked me where i was from and i said "Bangladesh" and she goes "oh there is a bangladeshi guy in my mom's class" i asked what her mother taught and she said she was an organic chemist and of course that removed all doubt.

i asked if she was muslim - cuz their name seemed strange (my iranian friend later told me it was a straight up farsi name) - and she replied by saying she didn't follow any religion.

thats all that happened. i don't know if the religion talk ended the conversation but i couldn't have talked to her for more than 5 minutes.

never spoke to her again, mostly out of sheer embarassment and secondarily because i really have nothing to talk about with girls [especially attractive ones] so i figured any conversation starter will be figured out for what it is: just an excuse for a guy to talk to a very hot lady.

but the things i would love to do with that girl...:D

BanCricFan
September 4, 2007, 05:38 PM
Miraz,
Its my pleasure and duty! To be honest I'm not familiar with any reliable online source on Fiqh (thats not to say they don't exist). I follow (and have studied briefly)Hanafi school and therefore, more familiar with Hanafi fiqh. Although, I do have little knowledge about Shafi'e, Maliki and Hanbali sources...Do you follow any of these schools? :-)

Miraz
September 4, 2007, 05:50 PM
BanCricFan, I am not sure. I usually follow the religion as taught by my father who used to pray five times a day and was very religious (May Allah rest his soul in peace). As most Bangladeshis follow Hanafi madhab, I also inherited that, but definitely not through my own judgment.

Whenever any confusion arises I try to follow Hadith or different online sources.

Haven't really passed a lot of time in religious reading. Now I am thinking to go through some reliable sources.

BanCricFan
September 4, 2007, 05:54 PM
i did learn one thing though: i am no womanizer...i suck at it.

Thats called, "blessing in disguise", my friend. Dont regret it. You're divinely protected. Don't fight it!:D

I rather not comment about your very last sentence, although, assuming you had nothing but wholesome intentions.:-p

BanCricFan
September 4, 2007, 06:29 PM
Miraz,

Hanafi school is perfectly a valid school and mostly-followed-school amongst the tradional Sunni world. There are many reasons for its popularity but we rather not get into this now:)

Traditional way would be to go to your local Imam and attend his fiqhi classes. If you live amongst the Hanafis then its better to study Hanafi fiqh and if you live amongst the Malikis then the Maliki fiqh...

If you don't have access to a traditional scholar, then, I can recommend "Behesti Jawhar" translated as Heavenly Ornamentation. Its a very reliable Hanafi Fiqh mannual for students. Other advanced Hanafi texts are being translated in English as we speak. I have studied some Hanafi texts in Arabic with traditional scholars in Syria and England and I can assure you that "Heavenly ornamentation" is more than reliable and adequate.

You might also find "The reliance of the travellers" translated by Nuh, Ha, Mim Keller extremely usefull, although, its a Shafi'e text. Please ignore those ignorant people who label Keller as a deviant Sufi. He is a Sufi ,for sure, but a very learned one. I have found his translation to be extremely beneficial and helpful.

BD-Shardul
August 15, 2008, 10:57 AM
Our prophet used to perform ibadah on the blessed night of 15th Shaban, although he never called it as “Shabe Barat” as we do. Some Dos and DON’Ts of this night:

DOs

01. Visiting the graveyard alone and supplicating for the dead.
02. Remain awake in this night and spend the night in praying, supplicating, reciting the Quran and sending durood to our prophet.
03. Fast on the day that follows the blessed night.
04. It is encouraged to perform ibadah in this night alone rather then in congregation.

DON'Ts

01. Putting more emphasis on the ibadah on this night then those, which are fard.
02. Spending the night in doing so called “waaj-nosihat’, which are very popular in our country.
03. Observing this night in a festive way, like people do in Bangladesh.

Kabir
August 15, 2008, 11:06 AM
Potka na futay shobe borat hoy naki...;)
lol...just kidding. Thanks Shardul for the Dos and Donts

Rabz
August 15, 2008, 11:19 AM
Our prophet used to perform ibadah on the blessed night of 15th Shaban, although he never called it as “Shabe Barat” as we do.

Shab-e Barat, if im not mistaken, is a persian word, not arabic. Hence there is no possibility of Prophet Muhammad ( PBUH) calling it "Shab-e Barat".

It is also known in other names, such as:

Lailatul Baraat
Lailatul Dua
Nim Sha'ban in Iran.
Nisf Sha'ban in Arabic speaking countries.
Nisfu Syaaban in Malay speaking countries.
Shab e Bara'at in South Asia meaning the 'Night of Emancipation'.
Berat Kandili in Turkish

(Source: www.wikipedia.org)

May Allah Bless us all.

Rifat
August 15, 2008, 11:26 AM

:lol: yep, obviously, pious Allah fearing women are much finer than those who "veil" their ugly selves behind cosmetics and a rotten body used and "whored" by possible many wicked souls...

somewhat fortunately, many Bangladeshi muslim women are in between these two groups...most obviously do not wear hijab in public...but they are not so "animalistic" either like some of the women who display their pretty much whole body skin beauty for sale on TV

Kabir
August 15, 2008, 11:57 AM
...are much finer than those who "veil" their ugly selves behind cosmetics and a rotten body used and "whored" by possible many wicked souls...

It's a BIG generalization. I'm sorry to see that you've got such a view about any woman who doesn't dress appropriately.

Somehow, I feel that most Muslim men would point their finger at the women more than they point it at themselves. That's just sad.

Rifat
August 15, 2008, 01:13 PM
It's a BIG generalization. I'm sorry to see that you've got such a view about any woman who doesn't dress appropriately.

Somehow, I feel that most Muslim men would point their finger at the women more than they point it at themselves. That's just sad.

actually, that''s partially true in modern day muslim world. because every true believer knows that the only proper sexual pleasure allowed in islam is with one's wife and those whom your right hands possess(war captives)...so we can satisfy our natural need and lower our gaze when appropriate!

when i make such a "BIG generalization" i am not speaking from ignorance! ever heard a pious muslim women get "Breast cancer", how about AIDS? plus the more a women exposes her skin, the chances of being caught offguard by indecent men(nowadays,it is done under "intelligence" ESPECIALLY in college campus under "fake mutual friendsip")...(i have true stories with me to share...but i feel not necessary at the moment) is pretty high, especially in societies where decency in women's clothes is neglected even in professionalism(work places).

plus,most people in US are against polygamy, how many nonmuslim men will you find who have only remained "devoted" to one women only throughout his life? Divorce rate is superbly high; even in Bangladesh alhamdulillah, divorce rate is relatively low...in Iran? honestly, i do not know, nor am i confident enough to make up false statistic like i usually do...but i am assuming it is low because most women in Iran protect themselves from unwanted gaze!

a better example: you have an apple: you leave it in your kitchen unpeeled, will it go rotten under normal circumstances? most likely no! but you peel it all up and leave it without eating it, it will discolor, attract flies..etc.

as-salamualaikum, Rifat

Kabir
August 15, 2008, 02:07 PM
Sorry Rifat...I'm not getting any substance in that post. But I'm more surprised to see the following part in your post.

when i make such a "BIG generalization" i am not speaking from ignorance! ever heard a pious muslim women get "Breast cancer", how about AIDS?

As for breast cancer: yes, my aunt has that, and yes, she's pious.

As for AIDS, why put the blame on the woman BLINDLY? Could it not have been transferred via her husband who may not be faithful to her?

Rifat
August 15, 2008, 02:15 PM
Sorry Rifat...I'm not getting any substance in that post. But I'm more surprised to see the following part in your post.

As for breast cancer: yes, my aunt has that, and yes, she's pious.

As for AIDS, why put the blame on the woman BLINDLY? Could it not have been transferred via her husband who may not be faithful to her?

agree completely...

Ajfar
August 15, 2008, 11:25 PM
eto lomba dine roja rakhbo kemnee...vavchi kolose roja joma rakhar system ta use korte hobee..

al Furqaan
August 16, 2008, 12:01 AM
:lol: yep, obviously, pious Allah fearing women are much finer than those who "veil" their ugly selves behind cosmetics and a rotten body used and "whored" by possible many wicked souls...

somewhat fortunately, many Bangladeshi muslim women are in between these two groups...most obviously do not wear hijab in public...but they are not so "animalistic" either like some of the women who display their pretty much whole body skin beauty for sale on TV

actually that girl was not even muslim...wheni found that out, i just left her alone. but i doubt she was interested in me anyways...i heard she had a white BF.

and she was not modestly dressed by any stretch of the imagination...the three 6 mafia song "azz and tittiez" comes to mind, lol

Orpheus
August 16, 2008, 12:27 AM
"azz and tittiez" comes to mind

Happy 15th brother Furqan. May Allah bless you and fulfill your wishes and desires.

BanCricFan
August 16, 2008, 08:15 AM
Once again the blessed night is upon us! We ask Allah 'azza wa jal that He pardons us with His infinite mercy and forgiveness all our shortcomings- small and grave ones. He is indeed the Most Merciful, the Most Gracious! We also supplicate that He gives us Tawfiq to worship and serve Him sincerely as it befits His Majesty by the virtue of this blessed night. May we draw nearer to Him with all our good actions and make our Siyam (Ramadan) good- those fortunate to reach the blessed month. Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him we are oft-returning!

BanCricFan
August 16, 2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks BD-Shardul for the reminder! Jazak Allah!

I ask for forgiveness and pardon from all the brothers and sisters of BC if I have offended or hurt your feelings in any form or shape. Please keep each others in our Du'as...remember we're brothers and sisters...we are one Ummah!

A gentle reminder:

Please keep this thread clean! Be mindful of Allah- the Most High!

Kabir
August 16, 2008, 09:23 AM
Ok BanCricFan, I forgive you. You did hurt my feelings once.

BanCricFan
August 16, 2008, 09:40 AM
Ok BanCricFan, I forgive you. You did hurt my feelings once.

Jazak Allahu khaira, Kabir! I'm sorry that i hurt your feelings...hopefully, it will not happen again:-)

I admire your generosity and forgiveness. You have set a good sunnah. Please, keep me in your Dua's!

Kabir
August 16, 2008, 09:41 AM
Jazak Allahu khaira, Kabir! I'm sorry that i hurt your feelings...hopefully, it will not happen again:-)

I admire your generosity and forgiveness. You have set a good sunnah. Please, keep me in your Dua's!

Miya, khaite dile desert chaan...r boite dile massage chaan.

Thik ase thik ase...no worries. My problem is this: since I'm so involved with BC, I take a few things a tad bit seriously. Probably I shouldn't :)

Rifat
August 16, 2008, 11:29 AM
actually that girl was not even muslim...wheni found that out, i just left her alone. but i doubt she was interested in me anyways...i heard she had a white BF.

and she was not modestly dressed by any stretch of the imagination...the three 6 mafia song "azz and tittiez" comes to mind, lol

i feel like an idiot once again...:-| maybe i should pay more respect to my elder members like Kabir, Beamer, Rabz, Kalpurush, Miraz, Mohiul who knows far better than what i know.

but the points i make, inshallah there has to be a glimmer of truth in it, i still won't give that up :D

i am always sorry if i offend anyone ever with my posts, like BanCricFan.

Mohiul
August 16, 2008, 11:48 AM
eto lomba dine roja rakhbo kemnee...vavchi kolose roja joma rakhar system ta use korte hobee..

Allah'r sahajjo are sokto mon

BanCricFan
July 15, 2011, 09:40 AM
The blessed night of 15th of Sha'baan is here again. We will be celebrating this 'Night of Atonement' from this evening here in Britain.

We ask Allah 'azza wa jalla forgiveness for all our shortcomings and transgressions. We ask for His Mercy and Guidance. We beseech our Lord that He bless this Ummah in particular and the humanity in general. Aameen!

BanCricFan
July 15, 2011, 02:03 PM
Forgot to mention. Those of you observing this blessed night -please keep me in your duas! Jazak Allah, hermanos :)

bujhee kom
July 15, 2011, 11:52 PM
All most sincere praise goes to Allah the most merciful, the true magnificant.
May Allah bless His messanger the great prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him).

BCF da, Inshallah, you will be in my prayers tonight and every night my dearest brother. Allah bless you!

Zeeshan
July 16, 2011, 01:20 AM
Is it tomorrow night in USA?

Beamer
July 16, 2011, 08:19 AM
Why do we call soaps Shaban? I am curious about the origin of that 'Bangla' word now..

ialbd
July 16, 2011, 08:32 AM
Today (16th July 2011) is 15th Shaban 1432

BanCricFan
July 16, 2011, 12:55 PM
All most sincere praise goes to Allah the most merciful, the true magnificant.
May Allah bless His messanger the great prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him).

BCF da, Inshallah, you will be in my prayers tonight and every night my dearest brother. Allah bless you!

Thank you, bro. As usual, you're most kind.

Btw, thank you for that customery over-the-top kind words in the other thread. I almost fell off my chair. :-D Couldn't recognise the person you were referring to! But, thanking for holding such good opinions about your brothers and may Allah give us the Taufiq to become the spiritual embodiments of such lofty characters..aameen!

BanCricFan
July 16, 2011, 01:01 PM
Why do we call soaps Shaban? I am curious about the origin of that 'Bangla' word now..

Because it derives from the Arabic word 'Sabun'. I suppose the French (beside the Spaniards) were the first europeans to adopt the same term. Still today the olive soaps from Damascus and Aleppo are quite unparalleled.

auntu
July 17, 2011, 12:24 PM
Many many Jazakallah BCF for this thread. Tonight I greatly miss my mother. May accept her Jannatul Ferdous.

Rifat
July 17, 2011, 03:39 PM
well,

Whether you have proof or you do not have proof regarding the validity of 15th of sha'baan, It is a despicable thing to discourage other Muslims from worshiping Allah(on any night, not just a particular night)! I seek refuge in Allah from this. Before i come to any conclusions, because from trusted sources i have heard an array of diverse opinions about this, I will just remain silent until i am sure 100%!

Auntu bhai, Advance congrats on your new life and may Allah grant you mother jannatul Firdaous. :)

y-factor
July 17, 2011, 03:47 PM
Rememeber me in your prayers brothers/sisters !

ammark
July 17, 2011, 07:22 PM
well,

Whether you have proof or you do not have proof regarding the validity of 15th of sha'baan, It is a despicable thing to discourage other Muslims from worshiping Allah(on any night, not just a particular night)! I seek refuge in Allah from this.

Jazak Allah Khair brother, for saying this. I wish everyone had your wisdom.