PDA

View Full Version : Bangladeshi Women from Different Regions: Sweeping Generalizations

Sohel
August 28, 2007, 05:46 AM
Coming from a Dhakaiya family with deep connections to other places in Dhaka Division, greater Noakhali, greater Chittagong, Barisal, Sylhet and other places, I feel bold enough make some light, NOI comments about what I've seen. Upbringing, socio-economic standing, and in some cases political background influence the stereotypes a great deal, and then of course there are many exceptions to the rule. Please post your stereotypes if you dare. Ladies, feel free to stereotype us ... :D

1. Dhakaiya (Old Dhaka City) Women- Pretty, rewaazi, educated, religious, exceptional cooks, quietly assertive without being offensive. Interested in theater, dance and cinema among other art forms.

2. Dhakaiya (the Division) Women- Scholarly, good cooks, and very funny. Interested in music among other art forms.

3. Noakhaillah Women- Scholarly, indifferent cooks, somewhat demure and prim in public but aggressively assertive in private, and thrive under chaotic circumstances. Interested in literature among other art forms, semantics and the law which they often elevate to an art form.

4. Chantgai'nya (the city and division, including the CHT) Women- Pretty, religious, limited cooking skills but the things they know how to cook they cook extremely well, submissive both in public and in private, and fiercely loyal to their family. Interested in music among other art forms. Wealth and jat, as related to PR and eventually potential wealth is more important than character and jat relating to character. Interesting if I don't see what I don't want to see, then it must not exist attitude.

5. Women from Cumilla- Educated, entrepreneurial and dominating. Appreciate good things faster and better than others, and know how to hold on to those things.

6. Kushtian Women- Pretty, classic Bengali women right out of good Bengali novels. Musically gifted more than any other species save Africans.

7. Baurishaillah Women- Perfect mothers, good cooks and very correct.

8. Sylheti Women- Entrepreneurial, educated and savvy. Technically inclined while appreciating the arts.

9. Northern Women, especially from Bogurha- Educated, talkative and dominating. They clearly wear the pants in a relationship. Excel in the visual and pretty much all other arts. Cooking skills don't go beyond great bhortas.

10. Ghoti Women (from West Bengal, especially Kolkata, Jaulpaigurhi, and Murshidabad)- See Bogurha, substitute "scholarly" for "educated", and add "pretty", "miserly" and "bad cooks". Khub shundor kyator kyator kore kautha baule.

Hatebreed
August 28, 2007, 06:13 AM
Let's do the negative generalisations now-

Chatgaiya women (city) - too talkative, bossy, argumentative, wealthy, can't do without servants, even the educated women have superstitious beliefs.

Dhakaiya women (city) - oversmart, rude, condescending, too inclined towards social upper-class.

Feel free to add.

Sohel
August 28, 2007, 06:15 AM
HB has officially opened the Pandora's Box ...

Those women must be residents of the new towns, possibly with roots from the other side of the Jaumuna Bridge.

Hatebreed
August 28, 2007, 06:32 AM
It only applies to city women. I am a Dhakaiya, born and raised, and have many relatives and roots in Ctg city. So I've made enough observation to see some truth in it.

Puck
August 28, 2007, 12:19 PM
apart from Baurishaillah and Chantgai'nya they all appear to be scholarly..

Rubu
August 28, 2007, 12:46 PM
I have not had chance to meet too many women from too many places (reason being I did my intermediate in a boys college and undergrad out side Bangladesh). So, I cannot tell by region. But I can give a very good description by age:

0-13: Talks too much and always over smart talkers.
13-25: If you try to talk to them they feel you are hitting on them and will run away. If you do not try to talk to them, they will feel like you think too high of yourself and will hate you for that
25-40: All they can think is their children are not eating enough.
40+: Just like 0-13 talks too much, unfortunately, this time the exact opposite in terms of over smart talkers.

Tigers_eye
August 28, 2007, 12:57 PM
There are exceptions but say 1% may be even if that. All do gibot (back bite). And they have sharp teeth so the biting makes a mark that lingers for a long time.

Bancan
August 28, 2007, 12:58 PM
A lot of college/high school/uni girls [বাংলা]প্রেম ছারা কিচু বুজে না।[/বাংলা].And thats true for every region. Even if a guy looks at her for a second, she thinks the guy likes her.

Sohel
August 28, 2007, 01:19 PM
"Scholarly" and "educated" aren't the same, matter of degrees and depth.

Sohel
August 28, 2007, 01:20 PM
There are exceptions but say 1% may be even if that. All do gibot (back bite). And they have sharp teeth so the biting makes a mark that lingers for a long time.

You must be really good mah brotha ... ;)

Sohel
August 28, 2007, 01:22 PM
A lot of college/high school/uni girls [বাংলা]প্রেম ছারা কিচু বুজে না।[/বাংলা].And thats true for every region. Even if a guy looks at her for a second, she thinks the guy likes her.

Not really prem, but prem prem khyala IMHO ... that was aeons ago for me BTW.

Puck
August 28, 2007, 02:30 PM
"Scholarly" and "educated" aren't the same, matter of degrees and depth.

yes that is true. i've dated both although not bengali girls but i presume the difference would be as apparent in bengali girls as well.

SS
August 28, 2007, 03:22 PM
I did so many research, asked so many questions but nothing worked at the end.
I guess we have to go with the flow...it's very hard to predict a woman before marriage, early marriage, after marriage, after having kids and so on.
Enjoy other things in life before getting into BD women and making them your partner, otherwise finding, solving their issues will leave no room for yourself.

ammark
August 28, 2007, 03:57 PM
I did so many research, asked so many questions but nothing worked at the end.
I guess we have to go with the flow...it's very hard to predict a woman before marriage, early marriage, after marriage, after having kids and so on.
Enjoy other things in life before getting into BD women and making them your partner, otherwise finding, solving their issues will leave no room for yourself.

So refreshing to see SS bhai's perennial pessimism and "telling it like it is" style. We miss you.

Sauron
August 28, 2007, 09:33 PM
8. Sylheti Women- Entrepreneurial, educated and savvy. Technically inclined while appreciating the arts.

My wife falls in this category (i.e. Sylheti). She is pretty and highly educated. But all I can say is - yes, this is a sweeping generalization indeed :)

Sohel
August 29, 2007, 07:02 AM
My wife falls in this category (i.e. Sylheti). She is pretty and highly educated. But all I can say is - yes, this is a sweeping generalization indeed :)

One of my favorite chachis is from Sylhet. My late chacha (RIP), upon seeing her and realizing that life as he had known it until then was about to change for good, wrote the following poem for her: -

Tomar chokhe kalo megher chhaya
Tomar chokhe noyon tara jaule
Tomar chokher ectu isharate
Rommo prashad, naugor dhoshe por'he ...

BTW, the most powerful woman in Bangladesh at the moment, CTG advisor Ms. G. A. Safiya Chaudhury is also from the land of Shah Abdul Karim.

Sohel
August 29, 2007, 09:11 AM
My cousin A, 19, very much the product of outrageously expensive chic-ish English medium education in Dhaka, has finally gotten tired of the shameless tya'nshami from daughters of the adha-shikkhito nouveau (et noir) riche, wised up and made himself a T-shirt that says "Bangla Medium Chicks Rule" ... the young lady he has managed to impress is a DU student from Kushtia, and a hell of a singer.

selina
August 29, 2007, 10:25 AM
5. Women from Cumilla- Educated, entrepreneurial and dominating. Appreciate good things faster and better than others, and know how to hold on to those things.

Ok so I only know one lady from Comilla, but I think knowing her alone is quite a lot to handle! Everything that SNR said aplies to her especially "dominating." She likes to have control over everything (especially her husband and family), and she's way too talkative. Sometimes she says things that her really rude, but she almost doesn't realize it. She asks the most personal questions and is very clever. Oh yeah she's also pretty religious.
( This doesn't apply to ALL the women from Comilla, just one.)

Sohel
August 29, 2007, 10:29 AM
Ok so I only know one lady from Comilla, but I think knowing her alone is quite a lot to handle! Everything that SNR said aplies to her especially "dominating." She likes to have control over everything (especially her husband and family), and she's way too talkative. Sometimes she says things that her really rude, but she almost doesn't realize it. She asks the most personal questions and is very clever. Oh yeah she's also pretty religious.
( This doesn't apply to ALL the women from Comilla, just one.)

Sounds like one of my mamis ... I remember going to mamabarhi unannounced, and she'd look at us and ask with a chilling combination of annoyance and disdain: "Haut'hat?" She has a totally different concept of rudeness.

My mama has been overcompensating for decades now, always in her absence.

selina
August 29, 2007, 10:43 AM
Haha but sometimes she can be very nice too you know.:)

Puck
August 30, 2007, 05:54 AM
Haha but sometimes she can be very nice too you know.:)

with some ulterior motive?

Sohel
August 30, 2007, 09:24 AM
with some ulterior motive?

Replace the question mark with a period and presto ...

Puck
August 30, 2007, 11:00 AM
oh the duplicitous bengali spirit.. i really don't miss such mamis at all!

shaad
August 30, 2007, 01:55 PM
Na-re, I'm not touching this topic, not even with a dosh-phut lomba baash. Discretion proving the better of valour in this case.

Puck
August 30, 2007, 02:24 PM
i thought you didn't marry in bangladesh

shaad
August 30, 2007, 02:44 PM
i thought you didn't marry in bangladesh

I didn't, but she's a Bangali girl at heart, or at least that's what my aunts say: "dekho, achoron, mon-ta or ekebare Bangali."

Puck
August 30, 2007, 03:20 PM
what does this 'achoron and monta bangali' entail? perhaps some of the attributes mentioned by sohel earlier?

Arnab
August 30, 2007, 05:30 PM
Bengali girls would fail most beauty and mannerism tests once they step outside BD. I have seen more beautiful women in one afternoon in Manhattan than I saw in my entire life in Bangladesh. And above a certain cultural threshold, western women are very nice. They are polite, neat, clean and cultured, they say sorry when they are wrong, they are not overly religious or superstitious, they don't disturb you when you are busy, they respect your decisions and privacy. Bengali women are culturally backward and uncivilized, just like Bengali men. Bengali men are lazy underachievers, effeminate, don't have the propensity nor the ability to wield any true power in a relationship.

There you go. Chew on my sweeping generalizations.

Nocturnal
August 30, 2007, 06:05 PM
I'm all confused now.....which one to marry.....joking guys :-p

RazabQ
August 30, 2007, 06:10 PM
Bengali men are lazy underachievers, effeminate, don't have the propensity nor the ability to wield any true power in a relationship.I always knew you were a girly man! :)

As for your comment re: Manhattan women - you prefer WASPish, flaky skinned, overly-made-up, shoe-obsessing (at least ours obsess over gold), neurotic village bicycles? I confess I expected higher standards from you :)

Masticate away ... (if you feel like it) :ticking:

Arnab
August 30, 2007, 06:45 PM
I always knew you were a girly man! :)

Razab bhabi, please change the diapers on the baby and cook us a nice little dish, will you?

As for your comment re: Manhattan women - you prefer WASPish, flaky skinned, overly-made-up, shoe-obsessing (at least ours obsess over gold), neurotic village bicycles? I confess I expected higher standards from you :)

Thanks, but I know a looker when I see it. And you have to admit, there's plenty of them in the West, including the ones in Manhattan.

RazabQ
August 30, 2007, 07:07 PM
Razab bhabi, please change the diapers on the baby and cook us a nice little dish, will you?I take pride in being in touch with my feminine side so I'll take that as a complement :)Anyway no diaper changing until #2 arrives - Zaif's been potty trained since Feb. Thanks, but I know a looker when I see it. And you have to admit, there's plenty of them in the West, including the ones in Manhattan.Aaah but you have to qualify. Of course Manhattan, Paris and London will have a greater share of lookers than Dhaka. These are the fashion capitals of the world. But that does not mean imply an inherent superiority of Western women over Bangladeshi woman. Clearly you have not been to Arkansas or Nebraska or (from what I hear) Yorkshire or Provence :)

Puck
August 30, 2007, 07:49 PM
what are puerto riccan women like?

Sohel
September 4, 2007, 01:35 AM
what are puerto riccan women like?

The Afro-Iberian-Arawak mix with bits of this and that thrown in for emphasis is nothing less than, well this: -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dd/82876781492.jpg

or this: -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/Jennifer_Lopez_-_J._Lo_-_CD_album_cover.jpg

and this: -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/be/Jennifer_Lopez_-_This_Is_Me_Then_-_CD_album_cover.jpg

Sohel
September 4, 2007, 01:44 AM
There's also a woman from Northern China: -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/09/Memoirs_of_a_Geisha_Poster.jpg

and

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/ZhangZiyi.jpg

Sohel
September 4, 2007, 01:49 AM
But the best one of them all, and classic California fusion: -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Jessica_Alba_ComicCon.JPG