PDA

View Full Version : Khaleda Zia arrested!

Nocturnal
September 2, 2007, 09:11 PM
KHALEDA ZIA ARRESTED

Mon, Sep 3rd, 2007 7:55 am BdST
Dhaka, Sept 3 (bdnews24.com) – The police arrested Khaleda Zia and her son Arafat Rahman Coco at their cantonment home early Monday, security officials said.

She was arrested shortly after 7:30am along with Coco.

The embattled former prime minister and her son were led away at 7:39am, in a security bubble. The move came hours after the Anticorruption Commission filed a corruption case against 13 people, including the former prime minister and the younger son.

Police and RAB officers and intelligence agents swarmed the road to the Shaheed Mainul Road residence of the BNP chief.

Khaleda will be taken to the court of metropolitan magistrate Md Salehuddin. Security officers put in place a huge security arrangement on the road to the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate's Court for Dhaka.

In an exclusive phone interview with bdnews24.com a couple of hour before the arrest, Khaleda said: "I'm not afraid of arrest. People are with me. The case against me is false."

Khaleda faces allegations of having a role in shady appointment of a private handling company, Global Agro Trade Company as a contractor for the Inland Container Depot in Kamalapur and Chittagong Port Container Terminal.

The ACC alleged that Khaleda used her influence illegally as prime minister in the appointment of the contractor.

In the build-up to the arrest, scores of security officers in plainclothes drove into Dhaka cantonment before dawn, as the arrest of the BNP chairperson loomed in the horizon.

Plainclothes officers arrived at the house at around 5:15am and asked Khaleda and Coco to "get ready" in a clear indication of arrest, house staffer Ruhul Amin told bdnews24.com at 5:40am.

At least 10 cars in the first batch drove into the cantonment shortly after 5am, followed by another convoy of up to 25 cars, witnesses reported from the scene.

In the rare interview with bdnews24.com, Khaleda said: "Against the BNP, there was a conspiracy in the past. Still there is. I hope BNP leaders and workers stay united."

"I worked for people all my life. I'm passing the burden of justice to people as well. Please pray for me," Khaleda told bdnews24.com by phone from home.

http://www.bdnews24.com/details.php?cid=2&id=20090

Mahir
September 2, 2007, 09:12 PM
News Just In :

BNP Chairperson Begum Khaleda Zia and her youngest son Arafat Rahman Coco have just been arrested (at 7.50 AM BDT), and taken to Dhaka CMM Court.

Source : NTV & Channel i News Ticker

Rabz
September 2, 2007, 10:46 PM
God Bless the CTG!
Bangladesh's two most wanted are in jail now!

sunny747
September 2, 2007, 11:11 PM
unek din por banglacricket a ashilam. khub bhalo lagtese. Hasina khaleda shesh. now it's time for jamaat.

Sohel
September 2, 2007, 11:30 PM
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/d297a92288.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

Khaleda, Koko sued
Charged with appointing container handling firm in violation of tender conditions
Staff Correspondent

The Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) last night filed its first graft case against former prime minister Khaleda Zia, her younger son Arafat Rahman Koko and 11 others.

They have been charged with violating tender conditions in appointing Global Agro Trade (Private) Company Ltd (GATCO), an indenting house, for container handling at the Dhaka Inland Container Depot (ICD) and the Chittagong Port ICD yard despite its lacking experience and skills.

The co-accused in the case are ex-chairmen of Chittagong Port Authority (CPA) Commodore (retd) Zulfiqur Ali and AMM Shahadat Hossain, ex-director (transport) of CPA AM Sanwar Hossain, former chief finance and accounts officer Ahmed Abul Qashem, former Director Luthful Kabir, Ismail Hossain Simon, son of former shipping minister and BNP leader Col (retd) Akbar Hossain, GATCO directors Syed Galib Ahmed, Syed Tanveer Ahmed and AKM Musa Kajol and Akbar's wife Jahanara Ansar and one Ehsan Yusuf.

In the case filed by ACC Deputy Director Golam Shahriar Chowdhury with the Tejgaon Police Station, it was alleged that violating conditions the former prime minister and her son influenced the tender process and the CPA officials helped GATCO win the tender although a three-member tender evaluation committee of the port termed GATCO unfit for the work.

GATCO tried to win the work through interference of the then shipping minister Akbar Hossain. For this, they undertook different ill activities and won the deal misusing the power of Khaleda and Akbar in connivance with Akbar's son Simon.

The company provided 41 percent of GATCO's share to Akbar's wife Jahanara, five percent to AKM Musa Kajol and five percent to Ehsan Yusuf before contesting the tender.

As the company and its directors had no equipment and previous experience, they showed one Shahjahan S Hasib as a director of GATCO, who has experience in container handling, in an ill attempt to fulfill the conditions of the tender, the case said.

The complainant also mentioned that during the course of investigation it was found that 25 organisations bought tender schedules and six of them contested for the bid.

A three-member technical committee formed by the CPA to evaluate the tenders reported that the owners and directors of GATCO have no experience in the job. However, the same committee's report announced the company as responsive and recommended that job be given to it.

The recommendation was sent to the shipping ministry after approval by the CPA.

The case statement said the government's purchase committee in a meeting also found GATCO lacking experience and the proposal was not processed following due rules.

The purchase committee meeting unanimously rejected the illegal proposal of the ministry and recommended for re-tendering the work.

An investigation revealed that Akbar, who was present in that meeting, briefed his son Simon about the proposal of the meeting. To get favour of Khaleda, Simon contacted Arafat and sought his assistance.

After being informed, Arafat influenced his mother win GATCO the job and demanded half the money Simon was supposed to get illegally, the case said.

Arafat influenced his mother after Simon agreed with his demand. Soon after the documents of the tender reach the prime minister's office, Khaleda took initiatives to get GATCO the job, misusing her position and without taking into account any objection by the evaluation and ministerial on purchase.

Due to lack of experience GATCO could not conduct the work smoothly resulting in violence at the ICD on different occasions which caused government a loss of over Tk 1,000 crore, the case said.

The ACC also held Khaleda responsible for the loss caused to the country.

The complainant also said that during interrogation GATCO's sponsored director Galib said that after getting the work he on different occasions gave over Tk 2.19 crore to Simon as per the illegal deal.

When reporters and cameramen of different television channels approached Golam Shahriar after filing of the case at around 11:15pm, he left the place hurriedly.

Many BNP lawmakers and leaders under the shelter of the then prime minister Khaleda had been involved in widespread corruption in the five years of the BNP-Jamaat regime and allegedly accumulated huge wealth and properties by misappropriating power and through illegal means.

A number of former BNP lawmakers and top leaders were arrested in the first crackdown in February after Fakhruddin Ahmed-led caretaker government assumed office in January and declared a war against corruption and criminal godfathers.

As the drive against the corrupt continued, Tarique Rahman was arrested from the cantonment residence of his mother on March 8.

The joint forces in a late night raid also detained Khaleda Zia's younger son Arafat Rahman on April 15. Arafat, however, was released the next day after being interrogated about his and his aides' alleged involvement in fetching a huge amount of money from different sectors by using clout.

Earlier on June 12, Khaleda, her elder son Tarique Rahman and 12 other BNP leaders, who were directors of Daily Dinkal Limited, were sued for not submitting service return of the daily for the last several years.

Under the Income Tax Ordinance, 1984, the Central Intelligence Cell (CIC) of the NBR had earlier asked the banks to provide it with banking information about Khaleda and 10 of her family members.

Finally, the NBR on August 29 asked all banks to freeze the accounts of the former prime minister, her son Arafat and nine others of her family.

Sources said the government is preparing a case over Khaleda's wealth statement submitted to the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC), which has some gross anomalies.

The NBR recently okayed Khaleda's Tk 1.30 crore undisclosed money on payment of Tk 33 lakh tax but rejected Tarique and Koko's bid to legalise Tk 18 lakh and Tk 1.5 crore respectively by paying a total tax and fine of Tk 44 lakh.

Earlier, the High Court quashed two graft cases against Khaleda Zia filed during AL regime regarding Khaleda Zia's house decoration and Airbus purchase.

DS link: http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=2487

As tight a case as any.

Sohel
September 2, 2007, 11:33 PM
Ex-PM Khaleda sent to jail; Koko placed on 7-day remand

The report will be available here: -

DS link:http://www.thedailystar.net/latest/updates.php?pid=-97

Sohel
September 2, 2007, 11:39 PM
The inevitable bhangon begins ... so does the end of BNP as we know it. Bektikendrik rajnitir shesh nihshash ... :up:

The report will be available here: -

DS link:http://www.thedailystar.net/latest/updates.php?pid=-96

chinaman
September 2, 2007, 11:43 PM
Long due action, better late than never. Another good day for Bangladesh. Hope this will translate to lasting happiness for the poor land.

It is really sad to see the immediate relatives of the two persons who loved the country so much. They gave their lives for the country but their relatives gave the country for their lives.

djuice
September 3, 2007, 12:17 AM
A Dhaka court Monday refused bail to Khaleda Zia and ordered her into jail after security forces arrested the former prime minister early morning. She was driven to a special jail, sited in the Sangsad Bhaban complex, at 10:15am. The house reserved for the speaker of parliament will be used as the special jail. The court of metropolitan magistrate ABM Abdul Fattah remanded the BNP chief's younger son Arafat Rahman Coco, arrested shortly after 7:30am along with her, in custody for seven days for questioning. Personal staffers for Khaleda's family, Yusuf and Amir, were also taken to court. Khaleda arrived in the court in sari and sunglasses and Coco was in jeans and T-shirt. Security officials battled chaos in front of the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate's Court for Dhaka. The embattled former prime minister was driven away from her cantonment home to court in a Nissan Patrol car (Dhaka Metro Gha: 02-3327) in a security bubble. Coco was in a different car. The move came hours after the Anticorruption Commission filed a corruption case against 13 people, including the former prime minister and the younger son. Lawyers who defended Khaleda and her son in court were Abdul Wadud Bhuiyan, Sanaullah Miah, Masud Ahmed Talukder, Lutfe Alam and Khorshed Alam. Prosecution officer Abdur Rashid represented the ACC in court. Another group of lawyers, led by Barrister Mahbubuddin Khokan, tried to push their way into court, but RAB officers stopped them, sparking an angry exchange of words. Police and RAB officers and intelligence agents swarmed the road to the Shaheed Mainul Road residence of the BNP chief. Security officers put in place a huge security arrangement on the road to the CMM's Court, but a huge crowd seemed to have stretched it.

In other news the newspaper 'Shomokal' made a huge blunder by published the the news of the arrest before khalda zia was arrested. It is speculated that some of the newspapers in BD are controlled by the Army and they are feeding the news that needs to be published.

Murad
September 3, 2007, 12:17 AM
অনেক দিন অপেক্ষা করেছিলাম এই খবরের জন্নে। আজ শুনে অনেক খুশি হয়েছি। ভাল ঘুম দিতে পারব। এই দুইটা মহিলা পুরা দেশটাকে শেষ করে দিয়েছে। এগুলোর আশল জাইগা হইছে গিয়া চিরিয়াখানায়। ওখানেই এদের কে বাগ বাল্লুকের সাথে বন্দি করে রাখা উছিত বলে আমি মনে করি। এতে করে অনেক মানুষ চিরিয়াখানায় ওদেরকে দেখতে যাবে টিকিট ক্রয় করে, তাতে চিরিয়াখানার উন্নতি হবে সাথে দেশের ও।

কি থিক বলছি না? আচ্ছা আপ্নারাই বলেন......

PoorFan
September 3, 2007, 12:26 AM
Hasina must be busy watching TV, or she rushed to her balcony for live show?:-p

Rabz
September 3, 2007, 01:13 AM
Djuice, mate the news is already been discussed in the "bangladesh breaking news' thread...
plz dont open copy threads ....

mods plz merge this one with the relative thread.

nsd3
September 3, 2007, 01:15 AM
This old news (by now) should go within the Breaking News Thread. There are more inputs around this news after it was published before.

shujan
September 3, 2007, 01:17 AM
Hasina must be busy watching TV, or is she rushed to her balcony.:-p

She would be happy to get Khaleda as company. I guess!:lol:

Banglatiger84
September 3, 2007, 01:30 AM
I do support this arrest if she is guilty of tax evasion and dodgy deals. However, there is every possibility that some members of the CTG may also be guilty of the same wrongdoings, however the govt will never arrest/charge them for obvious reasons.

nsd3
September 3, 2007, 02:05 AM
Let's keep the counts of how many supported this arrest voluntarily and how many (still to came) would start finding faults on how she was treated/approached bla bla kind of dancing (hujuge public). Hehe after that we might do another count of how many hujuge public is in favor of hasina and How many in Khaleda side. However, I must say good going CTG!

reverse_swing
September 3, 2007, 03:45 AM
Great news indeed!! What a news to start my week! :)

Antora
September 3, 2007, 03:46 AM
hmmm. i might not no that much about politicz... but im soooooooooooooooooo happy both of those 'bangladesh destroyers" are in jail!!!!!!!

mahbubH
September 3, 2007, 04:20 AM
She even made statement like "Tareque did no corruption"!!

According to the documents submitted to election commission before last elections, these two ladies should not have more than 5 lacs of property and now they have more than 5 cores of money.

crikss
September 3, 2007, 04:51 AM
Is there anyone interested to see the Khaleda Zia arrested video..But you have to Download(6.15 MB)
So if you r interested then Click here (http://www.spotflame.com/News//Morning%20News/KHALEDA%20ZIA%20ARRESTED.wmv)

Puck
September 3, 2007, 06:36 AM
why wasn't hasina given her own sticky thread?!? i smell bias ;)

sunnyctg
September 3, 2007, 06:49 AM
First of all, i would like to say ...YAAAHOOOOOOO !! lol.. eto shukh kothai rakhi ! lol . Its a great news for bangladesh. The longer they stay behind bars, the better for the country. And Mannan bhuiya got expelled !! Another ridiculous decision of Khelada. Mannan was like only the only leader i respect in bnp. He deserves a new party and a fresh start. I think that guy has the brain to run a country. We're better off him as a president rather then some loony woman(khaleda that is..lol) claiming Tareq to be innocent when milions of money were found in his bank account. What world does she live in !

BD-Shardul
September 3, 2007, 07:01 AM
Yahoooooooooooo .a.a.a.a. Hasina Khaleda............both in Jail.............7 din churi kore, ek din dhora pore.........................:fire::fire::fire: :applause: :wave:

reverse_swing
September 3, 2007, 07:15 AM

Just for few hours to get more response. :)

Miraz
September 3, 2007, 07:20 AM

Why Khaleda arrest hasn't given "Breaking News" status? I smell bias :-D

Puck
September 3, 2007, 07:25 AM
miraz, i urge you to investigate this matter immediately! if there is bias within your noble organisation then it should be rooted out immediately ;) the culprits must be punished. we demand justice!

Sohel
September 3, 2007, 07:27 AM
She even made statement like "Tareque did no corruption"!!

According to the documents submitted to election commission before last elections, these two ladies should not have more than 5 lacs of property and now they have more than 5 cores of money.

Typical Leo parent, I should know ... unconditional love that easily mitigate everything else, like you wouldn't believe ... :D

I'm still living off the mileage from her 8-8-88 Birthday Bash in London. All I had to do was call her from San Francisco exactly at 00:01 GMT Bless you Amma ... :-*

cricket_dorshok
September 3, 2007, 11:10 AM
Those in politics must suffer: Khaleda's mother

Mon, Sep 3rd, 2007 6:03 pm BdST
Dinajpur, Sept 3 (bdnews24.com)— Khaleda Zia's mother, Tayeba Majumder expressing her reaction to the arrest of her daughter Monday said: "Those who do politics have to suffer imprisonment and repression."

"Leaders like Mahatma Gandhi and Sheikh Shaheb also went to jail," she told bdnews24.com.

Asked to comment about the role of the present government she said, "Maybe whatever the government is doing is for the good. But I want the law to take its own course."

Tayeba Majumder gave her reaction to bdnews24.com Monday midday at her house in Balubari, Dinajpur. However, the ailing Tayeba could not talk for long.

She said she had heard the news of her daughter's arrest in the morning.

Khaleda Zia and her son Arafat Rahman Coco were arrested from their Shaheed Mainul Road residence Monday morning, in a corruption case filed by the anticorruption commission.

The Chief Metropolitan Magistrates Court for Dhaka ordered Khaleda Zia to special jail after rejecting her plea for bail, and son Coco to seven days' remand.
source (http://www.bdnews24.com/details.php?id=20156&cid=3)

Sohel
September 3, 2007, 11:54 AM
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/2aa50149c8.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

Bangladesh jails a second former PM

A former prime minister of Bangladesh has been arrested by security forces on charges of corruption.

Khaleda Zia was detained on Monday along with her younger son Arafat Rahman and taken to a court in the capital, Dhaka.

Police say they will bring a corruption case against the former prime minister, her son and 11 other people.

The court refused to grant bail, and jailed Zia until her trial begins.

Officials say the case against Zia involved alleged irregularities in a tender for development of the country's main port in Chittagong, but no further details were released.

The former prime minister, however, denies the allegations.

"This is a conspiracy to tarnish the image of my family and my party,"

"We have done nothing wrong. This case against us must be lifted."

Her political rival Sheikh Hasina, also a former prime miniter, was arrested earlier in the year and is also charged with corruption.

Sultana Kamal, a former presidential advisor, told Al Jazeera many Bangladeshis would be relieved by Zia's arrest.

"Even though we have had democratic governments for the last few years the governments were not really ruling from a democratic point of view and observing democratic norms.

"With the arrest of these leaders, Bangladeshi people feel that nobody is above the law."

Dawn raid

Witnesses said hundreds of army-led security forces moved into position around Zia's home on Sunday night, before making the arrest at 07:30am (01:30 GMT).

Television coverage showed a convoy of security vehicles being deployed to transport the pair to the magistrates courts in the old section of Dhaka.

Observers said Zia and her son were placed in a bullet-proof vehicle, but that the roads they travelled along were empty.

Anwar Hossain, the deputy police commissioner, said: "The government's anti-corruption commission filed a graft case against Zia and her son last night."

The former prime minister was taken straight into court under heavy police protection; from there she was moved to a building near the Bangladeshi parliament which has been turned into a special prison.

Arafat Raham was remanded in custody for a week for further questioning by the police.

Zia's eldest son, Tareque Rahman, was arrested in March, but this is the first case filed against the former leader herself by the interim government's Anti-Corruption Commission.

The authority has already brought multiple charges of extortion and corruption against Hasina, Zia's rival.

She has been held in another special prison since she was arrested on July 16, but her trial has yet to get under way.

More than 170 other senior political figures have also been detained.

Interim government

Zia stepped down as prime minister at the end of her term in October 2006; it was the second time she had held the post since 1991.

Bangladesh has been under a state of emergency since January, and the emergency government, backed by the army, has banned all political activity and protests.

They also cancelled elections planned for January 22, but the interim leader, Fakhruddin Ahmed, a former central bank chief, has promised to hold free and fair elections before the end of 2008.

Before the state of emergency declaration, the political parties headed by Zia and Hasina led street protests which caused widespread unrest, and nationwide strikes which were criticised by business leaders.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/af49a82d3a.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

AJ link:http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/3F769C38-C9A4-4839-B0A7-E20C3B466A08.htm

You can send your feedback to Al Jazeera and other news services, let them know how you feel and what you think about this and other weirdly composed reports. Look at the order of the last 4 sentences.

cricket_dorshok
September 3, 2007, 12:27 PM
Khaleda is being kept in a first floor room in a house, on the Sangsad Bhaban complex, that is situated just 70 yards from another makeshift prison where former prime minister Sheikh Hasina has been detained since July 16, say jail authorities.

huumm, janala diye kotha bolte parbae naki abar!!!! parle, best friend hoye jabe koekdiner moddhe!!!!!!!!

cricket_pagol
September 3, 2007, 02:32 PM
If you click here, the official site of BNP, (http://www.bnpbd.com/) you will see...

THE SITE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION
COMING SOON WITH NEW FEATURES

Omio
September 3, 2007, 02:47 PM
Here the video -
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dEwnGr6nOXA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dEwnGr6nOXA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Sohel
September 3, 2007, 02:56 PM
If you click here, the official site of BNP, (http://www.bnpbd.com/) you will see...

THE SITE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION
COMING SOON WITH NEW FEATURES

Ouch ...

reverse_swing
September 3, 2007, 02:59 PM
Ouch ...

AFAIK they have this message since Mahi left BNP.

Sohel
September 3, 2007, 03:03 PM
AFAIK they have this message since Mahi left BNP.

Really? Now that's quite a trip. Mahi's my cousin BTW ... totally out of traditional politics for now, including LDP, hangs out with Dr. Kamal Hossain and Rabbani nowadays ... :D

reverse_swing
September 3, 2007, 03:13 PM
Really? Now that's quite a trip. Mahi's my cousin BTW ... totally out of traditional politics for now, including LDP, hangs out with Dr. Kamal Hossain and Rabbani nowadays ... :D

One of the most dynamic chap I have ever seen. Don't know him personally though but I heard that he was the main guy behind this website and Shabash Bangladesh.

Puck
September 3, 2007, 03:15 PM

is there anyone you are not related to?!?

lets rephrase that, is there anyone you don't know?!?

Sohel
September 3, 2007, 03:20 PM
One of the most dynamic chap I have ever seen. Don't know him personally though but I heard that he was the main guy behind this website and Shabash Bangladesh.

His dad, wife Lopa, and he were Shabash Bangladesh. He's educated, approachable, compassionate, witty, smiling and a total natural in front of the media. Anybody who meets him would think atleast once about casting his/her vote MBC's way. With more focus, he can easily become our very own JFK ... I'm not just saying that BTW.

Sohel
September 3, 2007, 03:24 PM

Not really ... Dhaka's a very small place ... :D

cricket_pagol
September 3, 2007, 03:39 PM

this is a really good question... :)

I guess mahi is trying to "rebrand" himself by staying away from mud sling politics, but he has a long way to go before he becomes an acceptable leader. I think his strong ties with Tareq Zia, before he left BNP, has tarnished his image. BTW, i don't doubt the fact that he is very smart and sober.

Sohel
September 3, 2007, 03:51 PM
... I guess mahi is trying to "rebrand" himself by staying away from mud sling politics, but he has a long way to go before he becomes an acceptable leader. I think his strong ties with Tareq Zia, before he left BNP, has tarnished his image. BTW, i don't doubt the fact that he is very smart and sober.

Spot on. The Pinu element is no longer a factor in light of the Baungobhaubon stand-off and more recent events. He has been very active with his Dad in the flood relief work, done very quietly and away from all media attention. My mom used to change Pinu's diapers in Pakistan BTW.

Puck
September 3, 2007, 03:57 PM
Not really ... Dhaka's a very small place ... :D

when i was growing up and certainly when living under my parents roof, i used to think that my father knew everyone. he kind of did. but i am begining to think that you know even more, certainly among the younger generation!

reverse_swing
September 3, 2007, 04:25 PM
Seldom did an elected leader, especially in parliamentary democracy, receive the type of popular mandate as Khaleda Zia did in 2001. In fact she is the only leader who got elected as prime minister twice (We are not counting the controversial election of February '96) in our country's history. Of the 15 years of our unbroken succession of elected governments she was in power for ten years. In the last election in 2001 her party, the BNP, alone won 194 seats in a parliament of 300 seats. With her allies, her total strength in parliament was 217.

With such a mandate and her personal stature as a politician at her peak, she was in a position to totally reshape Bangladesh's political culture and economic prospects. With so many MPs at her command she could have demanded a higher standards of integrity and dedication from them. She could have warned that anyone found wanting in honesty and integrity would be expelled from the party, which would automatically lead, as per our law, to losing their seats in the Jatiya Sangsad. This would have saved us from corrupt politics, the primary reason for which our democracy now stands derailed.

DS: The mandate that Khaleda Zia wasted >> (http://thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=2588)

al Furqaan
September 3, 2007, 04:46 PM
lets just hope she and hasina get life sentences...

Hatebreed
September 3, 2007, 05:16 PM
Another great day for Bangladesh. Now they can chit-chat from their verandas.

Rabz
September 3, 2007, 10:32 PM
lets just hope she and hasina get life sentences...

i know what you mean...and i like that idea..
but why would the taxpayers money be wasted in feeding these two ladies for life...

makes me wonder...
if some xyz gets 16 years for evading tax ...
how much would these two get?

may be two life sentences each?

i bet ya they would make some sort of deal with the CTG and would be out of jail and out of country in 5 years time.

BD-Shardul
September 4, 2007, 02:48 AM
Why Khaleda arrest hasn't given "Breaking News" status? I smell bias :-D

No, the comparison here is not fair. I agree with Puck Bhai.

And I also seriously believe that there is bias in BC.Can prove if you want, but not everybody will take my logic. So, I end my claim with Q.E.D

Sohel
September 4, 2007, 04:57 AM
Another great day for Bangladesh. Now they can chit-chat from their verandas.

Substitute "s" for the "c" and get the better picture ... :)

Sohel
September 4, 2007, 05:43 AM
Moments before the arrest
Star report

She seemed reluctant to meet her fate. As law enforcers knocked at the door of Khaleda Zia's house at 5:30am, she appeared on the veranda more than 45 minutes later and asked: "Why are you here?"

The law enforcers then told her about the case and the reason for their presence at the address.

"Ok," Khaleda tartly replied. "Let me offer prayers, get my suitcase packed and then I will come out."

As the law enforcers requested her to let them in, she sounded agitated, "What for? You have already checked my house thrice. Why again?"

At around 7:30am, Khaleda finally stepped out with her son Koko to their uncertain future. She still looked angry.

As she walked to the vehicle, she almost said in a monologue: "I am very sad today. Why are you taking away the Zia family members one after another? Why don't you just round them together and send them to the firing squad?"

Hours later, as she stepped inside the lavish Speaker's house-turned-sub-jail complete with central AC, she looked to be lost in a different world far from her palatial luxury. She was received by the inspector general of prisons. A little hesitantly, she muttered: "I never did any household work. You know I am suffering from arthritis. May I have my personal servant to do my works?"

The jail officials said they would look into the rules if her request could be complied with.

Khaleda was then led upstairs to her bedroom. As the officials left her to herself, Khaleda gave them a crucifying last look.

DS link:http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=2606

She still doesn't get it, and to be fair, neither does Hasina ... tsk, tsk ...

Hatebreed
September 4, 2007, 05:50 AM
Substitute "s" for the "c" and get the better picture ... :)

Haha.. that works too.

Sohel
September 4, 2007, 05:56 AM
From a housewife to premiership
Star Report

Khaleda Zia's political life has been defined by her rise from a reclusive and shy housewife of a slain president to the longest serving prime minister in Bangladesh's history.

First gaining fame as one of the spearheads of the anti-Ershad movement in the 80s, Khaleda subsequently became the country's first female head of government when she won the 1991 parliamentary elections after the restoration of democracy.

It all changed for Khaleda when her husband military leader and later president Gen Ziaur Rahman was assassinated in 1981 during an abortive military coup and Gen Ershad came to power a year later ...

DS link: http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=2601

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/06a748858d.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

Koko & commission
Staff Correspondent

Arafat Rahman Koko, younger son of former prime minister Khaleda Zia, amassed huge fortune allegedly by taking huge bribes in exchange for approvals of deals through the use of influence of his family dynasty.

One such deal included awarding a contract to Global Agro Trade (Private) Company Ltd (GATCO), an indenting house, to run the operations of Inland Container Depot (ICD) in Dhaka. The Anti Corruption Commission (ACC) has filed a case in this regard on Sunday implicating Koko, Khaleda and 11 others.

A number of detained key figures of the last BNP-led alliance government revealed during interrogations that Koko had been illegally involved in various telecom deals, ownership of bank shares and large-scale city beautification deals.

Koko had allegedly taken $ 9 million dollars from Warid Telecom for quick approval of its telecom licence, according to the statement of former state minister for home Lutfozzaman Babar given to investigators a couple of months ago.

Babar in his statement also said Koko and Tony, son of former finance minister Saifur Rahman, took commission from a Chinese company for a telecommunications equipment supply contract.

A central bank investigation found that Mosaddak Ali Falu and his associates including Arafat Rahman Koko illegally purchased shares of IFIC Bank under the

name of a Malaysia-based company violating both Foreign Exchange Regulation Act and Money Laundering Prevention Act.

Back in February, Khaleda Zia's ex-personal secretary AHM Nurul Islam in an interview with the Bangla daily Prothom Alo said Koko lobbied for Global Agro Trade Private Ltd, which in 2004 received the contract to run the Dhaka ICD for seven years ...

DS link:http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=2598

Mixed reaction among public
Staff Correspondent

People of different walks of life yesterday expressed mixed reactions over the arrest of BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia and her son Arafat Rahman Koko while many said they were not surprised at the government's move to arrest them.

Following the arrest, The Daily Star correspondents talked to over 100 people of different professions--lawyers, businessmen, NGO workers, students, rickshaw pullers, taxi drivers and other professionals.

Many preferred anonymity while some declined to make any comment regarding the arrest of the former premier and her son.

A corrupt person will eventually be punished, said Ismail, a coconut vendor of Hatirpul Bazar. They were involved with corruption for years together and that is why they have been put behind bars, he said.

A lawyer, wishing to remain anonymous, told The Daily Star that Khaleda Zia should have been arrested and put on trial much earlier as the countrymen suffered for their unbridled corruption during the BNP-Jamaat alliance government.

"Her government brought nothing but corruption, which made Bangladesh the most corrupt country in the world," he said. He said successive governments always ignored the general people. They always thought about themselves and were busy with changing their own lot.

Many said there were rumours of Khaleda's arrest after the arrest of Awami League President Sheikh Hasina.

"It is nothing surprising since the rumour of Khaleda Zia's arrest was already around," said Mokhlesur Rahman, an employee of a private firm in the capital. "I think the move was made to balance out the actions taken against the rival party," he added.

A retired police officer told The Daily Star that during his days in service he had to carry out many unlawful orders from high-ups. With her arrest, he expects that such practices from Bangladesh politics would go forever.

Nazmul Alam, an electrical equipment dealer said, "We [referring to general people] all suspected that they were corrupt, now charges have been brought against them. We want her [Khaleda Zia] to be given exemplary punishment, if the charges brought against her are proved… if not she should not be harassed."

Kabir Ahmed, an NGO worker, said that Khaleda Zia's arrest proves that the government is sincere in its crackdown on corrupt people in the country.

When asked for comments, Mizanur Rahman, a banker, became a bit angry and said the government arrested Khaleda Zia and Sheikh Hasina to implement their "minus-two policy". The government's plot will not be successful, he added.

"None is above the law and those who stole people's money and were involved with corruption must be brought to justice," said an owner of a shoe shop in the capital.

"I think her arrest was not handled properly. The process through which she was arrested is not very clear to us as she was arrested within a few hours of the filing of the case," said a banker seeking anonymity.

Many low-income people claimed the arrest did not affect them at all as it would not bring any positive changes to their lives. "It does not matter whether they were arrested or not as it does not bring any good to us," said Shah Ali, owner of a pharmacy at Karwan Bazar in the city.

He claimed he has not seen any changes in the lives of low-income people since the caretaker government came to power. Rather the prices of essentials are going up and out of their reach, he said.

During their "corrupt" regimes the situation was far better, he said adding that the government should concentrate more on price hike of essentials rather than arresting top political leaders.

Many claimed the government's move would not bring any positive changes for the country rather it might even create an anarchic situation.

DS link:http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=2600

The coconut vendor has the lowest income and an ethical foundation. The byapari AKA owner of a pharmacy is of higher income and has none. The banker's just a typical petit-bourgeois dhandabaj who can no longer get his... typical moral decay brought about by 23 years of unabashed corruption, with each year getting worse than the previous one.

Thank Allah almighty that Bangladesh is a country where low income but morally correct "Ismails" comprise 85% of the voters.

Khoda Hafez BAL/BNP/JIB/BJP and all of your allies and chamchas ... please go F yourselves ! Your time has come to a crashing end.

Time to yell out our battle-cry and our deepest desire for the country we're taking back as we must. Our country belongs to those love it enough to abide by the letter and the spirit of its Constitution and laws, and not anymore to those who subvert and make a mockery of them for wealth and power at the expense of what our parents have fought, died and risked their lives for.

Jauy Bangla and Bangladesh Zindabad.

Banglatiger84
September 4, 2007, 08:55 AM
The coconut vendor has the lowest income and an ethical foundation. The byapari AKA owner of a pharmacy is of higher income and has none.

So, according to you, a person who complains about inflation doesnt have an ethical foundation ?

And what is to say that your coconut vendor didnt complaing about inflation, and then had it cut out from his quotes?

Just as the political chamchas are going mad over these arrests, some of the ruling elites and their supporters are trying to sweep aside evicting hawkers or inflation as being problems. According to them, the only problem in Bangladesh was Hasina/Khaleda, and everything else is inconsequential. They dont care about inflation because they are privileged enough not to be adversely affected by it.

Sohel
September 5, 2007, 02:13 AM
So, according to you, a person who complains about inflation doesnt have an ethical foundation ?

And what is to say that your coconut vendor didnt complaing about inflation, and then had it cut out from his quotes?

Just as the political chamchas are going mad over these arrests, some of the ruling elites and their supporters are trying to sweep aside evicting hawkers or inflation as being problems. According to them, the only problem in Bangladesh was Hasina/Khaleda, and everything else is inconsequential. They dont care about inflation because they are privileged enough not to be adversely affected by it.

No.

I just find the continued attempt to sidestep the issue at hand - in this case arresting a former PM on charges of highly probable corruption - by bringing in inflation a little questionable, especially from classes of moral relativists who benefited the most from such collapse of our moral and ethical foundation, and the subsequently selective, politically and financially motivated, and loose interpretations of the nations laws. I was drawing an "unscientific", purely obsevational correlation between the socio-economic status of those interviewed, and ethical sensibilities of Bangladeshis living in Dhaka. My own experiences working in rural Bangladesh and slums of Dhaka, needless to say, played a big part shaping that observation.

Guessing what the coconut vendor and everyone else could have or should have said doesn't seem particularly useful to me, just as political connections and history relating to the pharmacy, banks, and NGOs don't. Why? Because that information was not provided by the reporter.

I'm not interested in a bitchfest under the guise of a debate, and I'm sure neither are you ... :)

On the topic of inflation, I suggest the excellent thread opened by Miraz and the lively discussions there. Here's the link:

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=23523

Banglatiger84
September 5, 2007, 02:50 AM
No.

I just find the continued attempt to sidestep the issue at hand - in this case arresting a former PM on charges of highly probable corruption - by bringing in inflation a little questionable,

The reason people link issues is because some CTG supporters (not you:)) have a mentality according to which the only issues facing Bangladesh are arresting Hasina/Khaleda, demolishing illegal structures, and evicting hawkers. Nothing else matters, inflation doesnt matter, obeying WB/IMF dictates to the detriment of Bangladesh doesnt matter.

My ire is primarily because such people are primarliy expats who think they know more about Bangladesh's welfare than resident Bangladeshis (majority of whom are more concerned about the country's situation than democracy/evicting hawkers etc. )

Sohel
September 5, 2007, 03:09 AM
The reason people link issues is because some CTG supporters (not you:)) have a mentality according to which the only issues facing Bangladesh are arresting Hasina/Khaleda, demolishing illegal structures, and evicting hawkers. Nothing else matters, inflation doesnt matter, obeying WB/IMF dictates to the detriment of Bangladesh doesnt matter.

My ire is primarily because such people are primarliy expats who think they know more about Bangladesh's welfare than resident Bangladeshis (majority of whom are more concerned about the country's situation than democracy/evicting hawkers etc. )

Point taken and wholeheartedly agreed upon.

You may wish to look at Miraz's thread, and especially GM Niazurshed's article on possible remedies to the inflation posted there.