PDA

View Full Version : Your take on the future of Bangladesh

chinaman
September 5, 2007, 05:28 PM
Now that we can somewhat safely say that the country is on course in putting a tab on higher corruptions, what really lies ahead for us in the next few years? Will we be able to build on whatever we have managed to achieve so far in 2007? Or, this will remain as just another heroic chapter in the history next to the likes of 1952, 1971, 1990?

Miraz
September 5, 2007, 05:34 PM
Chinaman bhai, it's really difficult to comment now.

I am still hopeful but lot will depend on the next few moves.

- Control of price hike and inflation
- Completion of voter ID project
- Clear indication about the future of Hasina and Khaleda
- I am also worried about judiciary separation. It might backfire for the current government.

Probably we will be at a better position after 5-6 months.

chinaman
September 5, 2007, 05:40 PM
Let me put it this way, Miraz, the above question is a billion dollar one, however, with the options given, it comes down to zero cents :) You can always pick the last option :)

Nocturnal
September 5, 2007, 05:42 PM
Very hard to tell.
I would go for option 2,3 and 4.
2-Reformists from the leading parties will come to power
3- New political platform will come to power
4-A form of 'National government' will come to power

Miraz
September 5, 2007, 05:47 PM
Chinaman bhai, I didn't see the poll before. :)

I am not sure about the choice.

Either
a) A form of national government will come to power
or
b)Current CTG will continue for at least another year (after 2 years tenure).

:)

sunnyctg
September 5, 2007, 08:05 PM
hard to tell, but i think CTG will continue. I very much doubt there would be any election. My cousin is a BNP activist so he took me to a BNP international seminar today(in london). Its hilarious how BNP activists abroad still literelly worship Khaleda even tarek knowing that he's like a proven corrupted person!! I actually thought for a second to ask the main chief guest whether if he is really serious of what he is saying or joking. But later thought that might result me getting beaten up...hehe so i had to be quite and enjoy the circus :P .They even said they gonna kill the main army guy..LOL. It was funny to watch, and was well entertaining i must say.

anyway...the way things are going, if there is a fair trial, and the evidences still intact,Khaleda definatly should get conviction so should her sons for all these corruptions. ....Hard to tell who's doing the bad things. The guys in CTG might already filled up their swiss bank accounts as well...who knows!

ah well.

Zobair
September 5, 2007, 09:05 PM
I know it is wishful thinking...but I am hoping for option 3! Perhaps some one like Dr. Yunus (or some other nationally respected personality) may yet pick up the gauntlet should the 2 ladies be convicted, and fill the void with his charisma and intellect (timing is everything!).

al Furqaan
September 5, 2007, 09:32 PM
my pops reckons the army will come to power kinda like the situation in pakistan...personally, knowing very little about bangladeshi politcal dynamics, i don't see any other way it has to be either current CTG continues ad infinitum (not really, like 10 years or so) or a straight up ershad style dicatator comes to power.

as an american, i don't see what the difference is between khaled or hasina and the remaining party members...they're all a bunch of effing crooks anyways.

i guess this is the non-bangladeshi in me, but i really don't expect much better from bangladeshi politicians. a friend of mine once told me (half seriously) that we should just move back to bangladesh and take over. he's born in bangladesh but raised in america so he's more or less a 2nd generation bengali. he basically told me that bangladeshis are not capable of ruling themselves (i acutally agree) and so we need to go and do it for them. we meaning educated bangladeshi americans, not an iraq style invasion, FYI.

if the parties are rotten to the core, how can anyone expect anything positive to come from party reformation? which is why i think option 2 is least likely if not impossible.

politics in any country, more so in BD, is about loyalty to one's party and its ideology. not to the state or the average citizen on the street.

i really think people should elect individuals who run on personal platforms.

that would be democracy at its best. get rid of parties altogether i say.

nsd3
September 5, 2007, 10:46 PM
I actually believe what CTG is saying about holding Election before end of 2008 as true. Don't know why, perhaps a soft cornet may have grown for CTG deep in mind. Many good things already implemented by them have activated a positive hope for the country in my mind. Be it true or not I like the way it's progressing so far.

Since I think in that line the automatic option for me would be :

1) There would be an elected govt. That govt might have new faces in the leading positions.
2) There might not be single majority of any party, hence Coalition would come in the scenario.
3) The country might get in another vital test - sustainability of such (Coalition) govt structure - how long that govt might progress. The current situation is nothing compared to this test based on vitality.

Some peoples' dream of bringing honest and active benevolent people into politics might see some light as this new govt structure progresses. It all depends on how this new structure (that may include the current 2nd in commands like Mannan Bhuyan, Tofael, Amu .....hhehehe can't start dreaming, can I??!!) can give way to these new generation of political leaders (really honest, prudent, accountable, and able) to guide Bangladesh to prosperity.

nsd3
September 6, 2007, 04:14 AM
Don't know why I couldn't find this thread at first. Then I put a search and found it!! Good to see it's still alive.

Sohel
September 6, 2007, 04:45 AM
The short answer: BRIGHTER THAN EVER BEFORE.

Voted for "New political platform will come to power" after the 2008 elections.

I and many others like me won't live to see the current reforms fail to initiate a more authentic democracy and democratic culture in Bangladesh. We will happily die fighting if required die actively assisting this noble attempt to restore the Spirit of '71 as per the Constitution and laws of the land ... not a threat, but a solemn promise.

Jauy Bangla, Bangladesh Zindabad ... :flag:

PoorFan
September 6, 2007, 10:59 PM
National government will be an instant issue of controversy, which will create more political instability IMO. Political people of BD are may not yet generous to accept a selected panel as National govt., other than election I guess. So, I think rectified voter list and election within 2008 is must ( + or - couple of month is ok ).

I voted for option 2 (<!--StartFragment --> coalition of reformist leaders ), though I don't mind option 3 ( new political platform ) too, through / after election. However option 6 and 7 is not acceptable, and will definitely ruin the opportunity to move forward, in fact will push us back a decade.

reverse_swing
September 7, 2007, 03:20 AM
I am still hopeful but lot will depend on the next few moves.

- Control of price hike and inflation
- Completion of voter ID project
- Clear indication about the future of Hasina and Khaleda
- I am also worried about judiciary separation. It might backfire for the current government.

Probably we will be at a better position after 5-6 months.

Well said! Among the constituents you have mentioned if they able to control the first one then it will help to assuage any other perplexities. CTG is desperately trying to hold down prices through administrative measures but the main alarming part for me is they already have used $300m of its foreign reserves to pay for fuel subsidies!!

Kabir
September 7, 2007, 09:40 AM
I voted for #6, but it's definitely with some strings attached to it.

I don't like anyone in power for more than 1 term at a time. It's not feasible for the country. I voted for #6 with the hope that they will do their job, and then leave the job to a government that is elected by the people in as much democratic manner as possible. In current scenario, it will probably be more democratic than Bangladesh has ever been.

Having said all that, it is important that different political groups with fresh ideas come to power, and take over the development work for the country in a fresh new way.

Rubu
September 7, 2007, 10:24 AM
I'm hoping that Doc Yunus will change his mind and will resume his political venture. If that is not the case, its hardly matter what else happens. Those are all the same.