PDA

View Full Version : World XI to play in charity match named

Hasib
October 14, 2003, 08:18 AM
World XI to play in charity match named

Wisden Cricinfo staff

October 14, 2003

The Pakistan Cricket Board has announced a 13-man Pakistan XI to play a World XI in a charity day-night match at Lahore this Wednesday (Oct 15). The match is being organised by the Zindagi Trust, and all income from the game will go to the Trust.

The World XI players will arrive in Lahore over the next 24 hours.

World XI (from) Sanath Jayasuriya, Romesh Kaluwitharana (Sri Lanka), Venkatesh Prasad, Robin Singh (India), Courtney Walsh, Jimmy Adams, Franklyn Rose (West Indies), Steve Tikolo (Kenya), Travis Friend (Zimbabwe), Neil Fairbrother (England), Dean Jones (Australia), plus two South African players to be named.

Pakistan XI (from) Imran Farhat, Taufiq Umar, Imran Nazir, Yasir Hameed, Misbah-ul-Haq, Abdul Razzaq, Moin Khan, Shoaib Malik, Wasim Akram, Saqlain Mushtaq, Mushtaq Ahmed, Shoaib Akhtar, Junaid Zia.

Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

Hasib
October 14, 2003, 08:19 AM
THIS IS UNFAIR... THERE IS A KENYAN... BUT NO BANGLADESHI!!! THIS ISN'T A WORLD XI!!!

rafiq
October 14, 2003, 08:22 AM
before you have a heart attack, notice the date. do you want habibul bashar to spend the week in pakistan before the 1st test vs england? there are no players from the curent india, new zealand or england squad as well.

Mahmood
October 14, 2003, 10:29 AM
Bashar was invited, but the date is not convinient, so Bashar did not persue this.

Sami
October 14, 2003, 10:32 AM
But i heard sumon was asked to play in the match as well... it was his and BCBs decision if he would play or not.

It does not happen often that a Bangladeshi player can afford the luxury to say that he cannot play for the World XI... Its really great that he was asked to play... makes me feel proud :) and I am sure every BD people shares my feelings....

rafiq
October 14, 2003, 10:45 AM
actually there are no players from australia or zimbabwe teams. that means 6 teams couldn't send top players, including bangladesh. world XI is a nice concept but rarely is it a true World XI. And let's face it, a true World XI right now would have 6-7 Australians at least.

Bashar has finally been recognized with an invite - that was awesome. And the Pakistanis must be relieved he isn't coming to torment them some more!:lol:

Mahmood
October 14, 2003, 10:55 AM
Looking at the Pakistan team, where are the batsmen??? No Youhana, Yunis, Inzi!!! This team might be all out under a 100.

rafiq
October 14, 2003, 11:00 AM
yes, but they have Junaid Zia:lol:

Sami
October 14, 2003, 11:03 AM
Moin and wasim are playing... cool... they might have tainted their rep with match-fixing allegations against their names and being termed cheats... but I respect these 2 playes a lot (as players)... Paki team changed completely under the captaincy of these two :)...

[Edited on 14-10-2003 by radicalsami]