PDA

View Full Version : Australia's domination could decline

fab
October 14, 2003, 05:59 PM
Australia's domination of world cricket may not last much longer, according to former batsman Dean Jones.

"They are having their time in the sun but trust me in a few years some other team will over run them," said Jones.

"I do fear, once you lose Glen McGrath and Shane Warne, we would come back to the pack quickly."

Nine of the 14-man squad for last week's first Test against Zimbabwe were aged over 30 - with skipper Steve Waugh the oldest at 38.

Australia have won the last two World Cups and 38 of their 51 Tests under Waugh's captaincy.

It is a run of success which even surpasses that of the West Indies side which was pre-eminent from the late 1970s through most of the 80s.

The retirement of key players like Viv Richards, Gordon Greenidge, Michael Holding and Joel Garner led to a slump in Caribbean cricket.

And the West Indies selectors have now put their faith in youth with the majority of their squad aged in their 20s.

source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/3191700.stm)

Mahmood
October 15, 2003, 11:02 AM
West Indies did not have good plan to raise kids into great crickets. Australia has that. Before McGrath is gone, they have Lee. Bikel is knocking at the door. When Warne is gone, McGill is ready to fill the gap.

I doubt Australia will go down. Someone else will have come up to their level.

Zobair
October 15, 2003, 07:42 PM
I totally agree with raana bhai...the australian domestic cricket...their developmental strategy is all geared towards ensuring continuity at the top by producing top quality cricketers...other teams have to play catch up rather than wait for Australians to decline which ain't happening any time soon.

Tehsin
October 15, 2003, 09:47 PM
In ten years Australia and Bangladesh will dominate world cricket. Actually, it may just be Bangladesh on top. :)

Australia may not enjoy ths run again but they wil continue to be on top.
India has a good junior circuit but they need to work on their wickets if they want to be really competitive outside. Pakistan, if lucky, will continue to come up with raw talent.
England's sow and steady might finally win out.
West Indies might enjoy their second renessaince (sp) once their kids find cricket interesting again.
Sri Lanka - two Muttiah's ? I don't know much about them.
New Zealand will continue to make do with their limited talent pool.
South Africa - don't know much about them. Educate me.

Nepal - now, there's another prospect for test cricket.

Zobair
October 18, 2003, 02:13 AM
Lee is out for the rest of the match and out of the ODI series in India...not that it will make a major difference to the outcome of the match by all indications...so in the second innings...the aussies will be bowling without any of their current front-line bowlers...

Tehsin
October 19, 2003, 11:09 AM
It does make a big difference. Without their frontline bowlers, Australia are struggling against Zimbabwe, they'll flop against India and NZ.

fab
October 19, 2003, 06:25 PM
I must admit Zimbabwe has been pretty lucky in this current series. But perhaps the current performance of the Aussies without their frontliners does prove Jonesy's point..? I mean Zimb should have been a stroll in the park for them.

James90
October 19, 2003, 07:25 PM
In the next couple of years you're seeing Steve Waugh and possibly McGrath retire. That means you get a Love/Katich/Clarke come in and a Williams/Bracken/Noffke.

The other experienced cricketers will then lead Australia on their path and the newcomers will be finding their feet. When the Langer/Hayden/Bichel/Martyn/Lehmann/Gilchrist retire you'll have say Ponting/Lee/Gillespie still there and the Love/Katich/Clarke/Bracken/Noffke will have experience. Then you still have a reasonably experienced team. If a couple of them are injured and you need to make a lot of debutants then they might have a lean patch. But it will pick up again after that

Pundit
October 19, 2003, 10:26 PM
I doubt Australia will go down. Someone else will have come up to their level.

Rajputro, did you not once say that Australia had no chance of retaining the wc trophy without the Waughs....

Hasib
November 8, 2003, 02:40 AM
Bichel can't bowl properly without the support at the other end of the frontline Aus bowlers. With them injured he is struggling.