PDA

View Full Version : Aftab Ahmed

Sham
October 14, 2003, 06:18 PM
I've never seen Aftab bat, but judging by a couple of pictures of him from yesterday's play, he looks to have a good technique. Especially if you guys have seen the picture in the Daily Star, everything is right about him in that picture. Nice footwork, weight shifting forward, nice follow through with the bat, high and straight left elbow, good stuff.

I had said quite a while back that the Bangladeshi's have really weird techniques. I think Arnab commented a few days ago that in every picture of a Bangaldeshi batsman playing a shot, they look really awkward. Its true, if you guys see a picture of Sumon or Javed batting, they look strange. You will never see a straight bat follow through like Aftab, their bat face turns after they hit the ball. Compared to that, I was very excited to see this picture of Aftab.

oracle
October 14, 2003, 06:57 PM
A picture says a lot.
Good news. Aftab seems to have some class.
I also saw recently (I think it was posted by Chinaman in the NZ-INd post) a picture of Rahul Dravid cutting the ball during the first day of the first test match against New Zealand. It just showed a wonderful follow though poise. That bat was in the right place just after a split second of hitting the ball.

[Edited on 14-10-2003 by oracle]

Arnab
October 14, 2003, 07:15 PM
Rahul Dravid is my favorite Indian batsman. I have a weakness for stylish, classy players. Lara, Dravid, Mark Waugh, Damien Martyn, Youhana(sometimes) are my favorites. I haven't seen Vaughan on TV(or don't remember), but from the pics it looks like he could also be one of my favs. The common thing among these players is that they all have some stylish flair to their batting style that is unique and pleases the eyes.

Tendulkar, Hayden are clean hitters. The can be called effective/productive in the traditional sense. But they, IMO, don't have that flair. They are classical. Lara and the likes are Jazz.

It's also worth mentioning that for a spectator on the field, they almost all look the same, since shots are played in split seconds and people are more interested in watching the ball rather than critquing the batsman's style. It's in TV replays the intricate grace of the full extent of a shot: back lift, moment of impact and follow through, etc. become prominent.

[Edited on 15-10-2003 by Arnab]

Sham
October 14, 2003, 07:28 PM
is the classiest batsman I have ever seen!

tnb
October 14, 2003, 07:59 PM
Every player has some particular shot that no one else can match.

I will walk miles just to watch Richi Richardson's pool shot.
Tendulkar has nice off drive.
Mark Waugh : cover drive.
Among Bangladeshi batsmen, Bulbul's flick shot is my fav.

Aftab's follow through looks really nice.
I cant remember I have seen such nice balance in our batsmen in recent days. Also, I liked the thing that he went for a six in short-pitch ball. Confident and Brave, considering the fact that he knows his performance will decide his chance of a test cap.

Allah, dont turn him to a Rokon.

Carte Blanche
October 14, 2003, 08:51 PM
Mark Waugh is so elegantly lazy in his shots. Seems to hit sixes with ridiculous ease. One of the great players we will miss.

Edit: By the way, where's the picture of Aftab's shot?

[Edited on 15-10-2003 by Carte Blanche]

Arnab
October 14, 2003, 08:59 PM
http://www.thedailystar.net/2003/10/15/2003-10-15__sports01.jpg

http://www.banglacricket.com/Tours/ENG2003/aftab.jpg

Carte Blanche
October 14, 2003, 09:04 PM
Thanks Arnab.

Wooooooo classy baby!!

Carte Blanche
October 14, 2003, 09:05 PM
I wonder why the photos taken by BD newspapers are so low in quality. I mean, they are sports journalists, can't they really afford quality digital cameras? Compare the pictures we get from daily star with the BBC pictures. You will see the difference.

Tintin
October 14, 2003, 09:05 PM
He has a de Silva touch

Arnab
October 14, 2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Carte Blanche
I wonder why the photos taken by BD newspapers are so low in quality. I mean, they are sports journalists, can't they really afford quality digital cameras? Compare the pictures we get from daily star with the BBC pictures. You will see the difference.

the top pic is daily star's. the bottom one is bbc's.

Sham
October 14, 2003, 09:09 PM
Reminded me more of a right-handed Tillekaratne.

Arnab
October 14, 2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Tintin
He has a de Silva touch

eerily similar, not only in his shots but also in the face and the inflated midsection area. :)

he is a srilankan in disguise! no wonder whatmore picked him.

Kana-Baba
October 14, 2003, 09:17 PM
Don't you guys think that Aftab looks a bit older to play for under-19. How old is he honestly?

He looks a bit bulky too.

Carte Blanche
October 14, 2003, 09:19 PM
the top pic is daily star's. the bottom one is bbc's.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Although the difference isn't quite prominent here.

Arnab
October 14, 2003, 09:22 PM
Aftab Ahmed Chowdhury
Born:
Major Teams: Chittagong Division.
Known As: Aftab Ahmed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics:
FIRST-CLASS
(2001/02 - 2002/03)
M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 7 12 2 440 129 44.00 68.00 1 2 11 0

O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
Bowling 57 17 156 5 31.20 2-20 0 0 68.4 2.73

LIST A LIMITED OVERS
(2001/02 - 2002/03)
M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 6 6 0 68 35 11.33 68.00 0 0 2 0

O M R W Ave BBI 4w 5w SR Econ
Bowling 14 1 76 2 38.00 1-13 0 0 42.0 5.42

Not too shabby. First-class wise.

fwullah
October 14, 2003, 11:29 PM
So he is one candidate for the number 6 position for Bangladesh in the 1st Test.

Arnab
October 15, 2003, 12:02 AM
Aftab:
http://www.thedailystar.net/2003/10/15/2003-10-15__sports01.jpg

Vaughan:
http://www.banglacricket.com/Tours/ENG2003/vaughn.jpg

reinausagi
October 15, 2003, 12:15 AM
Thanks for that comparitive shot vs Vaugan. Great, and potentially great batsmen stroke alike?:lol:

Orpheus
October 15, 2003, 02:36 AM
... in squash!

You guys should watch my square cut ... A beauty. SQUASHED!! I am not even gonna mention the pull shot. Everyone stopped playing against me cuz I am so nice :)

Sami
October 15, 2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Sham
Reminded me more of a right-handed Tillekaratne.

Couldnt have agreed more :) And boy was tillekaratne stylish...!! :)

[Edited on 15-10-2003 by radicalsami]

Mahmood
October 15, 2003, 11:18 AM
Amazing! He sure will rock BD Cricket in his time.

acbizz
October 15, 2003, 12:01 PM
ppl wait and see

bhobishshot
October 15, 2003, 05:19 PM
Why is his (Aftaibba) list A average so horrible?

In the picture quality question: BBC uses higher quality film and camera?

Tehsin
October 15, 2003, 10:24 PM
His mid section - that's te pad. i think (or HOPE) that's the pad that's making him look (in Bangla movie standards) healthy.

Arnab
October 15, 2003, 11:28 PM
pad? naah.

Sham
October 16, 2003, 12:25 AM
Almost all BD batsmen wear a chest guard (almost a tummy guard), and it looks like Aftab has one on. He is definitely not fat.

banglawash
June 30, 2012, 08:25 PM
[বাংলা]একটি সুযোগের অপেক্ষায় আফতাব
খেলা প্রতিবেদক

বাংলাদেশের ক্রিকেট ইতিহাসে প্রথম পূর্ণাঙ্গ সিরিজ জয় নিশ্চিত করার ম্যাচে জিম্বাবুয়ের বিরুদ্ধে ম্যাচজয়ী ৮১ রানের হার না মানা ইনিংস, জাতীয় দলের শততম ওয়ানডে ম্যাচে ১৪ রানে ভারত বধে ৬৭ রানের ঝলমলে ইনিংস, প্রথম বাংলাদেশী হিসেবে ওয়ানডেতে নিউজিল্যান্ডের বিপক্ষে ৫ উইকেট তুলে নেয়ার কৃতিত্ব, ইংল্যান্ডের কার্ডিফে বিশ্বক্রিকেটের মোড়ল, বিশ্বচ্যাম্পিয়ন অস্ট্রেলিয়ার দুর্দান্ত পেসার গিলেস্পিকে পাড়া-মহল্লার বোলার বানিয়ে ক্রিজ ছেড়ে সামনে এসে পরপর দু’বলে চার আর উড়িয়ে মারা বিশাল ছক্কায় ঐতিহাসিক জয় এনে দেয়া, জিম্বাবুয়ের এল্টন চিগাম্বুরার এক ওভারে ২৪ রান তুলে নেয়া কিংবা দেশের ওয়ানডে ক্রিকেটে এখন পর্যন্ত সর্বোচ্চ ৪৯টি ছক্কা মারার রেকর্ড—বাংলাদেশ জাতীয় ক্রিকেট দলের এমন আরও কত সুখস্মৃতি আর রেকর্ডের সঙ্গে অবিচ্ছেদ্যভাবে জড়িয়ে আছে তার নাম। জাতীয় দলের অবিচ্ছেদ্য সেই আফতাব আহমেদ এখন একটি সুযোগের অপেক্ষায় আছেন। নিজেকে প্রমাণ করে আবারও আন্তর্জাতিক ক্রিকেটে ফেরার অপেক্ষায় বন্দর নগরীর এ ক্রিকেটার। ভারতের বিদ্রোহী ক্রিকেট লিগ খ্যাত আইসিএলেএ নাম লেখানোর অপরাধে নিষেধাজ্ঞার খড়গ ছিল কাঁধে। সেই নিষেধাজ্ঞা কাটিয়ে ফিরে এসেছিলেন জাতীয় দলে। একটি ম্যাচ খেলার সুযোগও পেয়েছিলেন। নিজেকে প্রমাণের সেই ম্যাচে ৫ মার্চ চট্টগ্রামে ইংল্যান্ডের বিপক্ষে মাঠে নেমে দলের হয়ে সর্বোচ্চ ৪৬ রানের ইনিংসও উপহার দিয়েছিলেন। কিন্তু অজানা কারণে এরপর আর জাতীয় দলে ঠাঁই হয়নি তার। এমনকি যুব দলেও জায়গা পাচ্ছেন না। কিন্তু তাতে কি? বসে নেই এ মারকুটে ব্যাটসম্যান। নিজ শহর চট্টগ্রামে অনুশীলনে ব্যস্ত আছেন। একটি সুযোগের অপেক্ষায় আছেন তিনি। নির্বাচকদের কাছ থেকে সে সুযোগটি পেলেই হয়তো আবারও নিয়মিত জাতীয় দলের জার্সি গায়ে জড়ানোর যোগ্যতা অর্জন করবেন তিনি—এমনটাই আশা আফতাবের। বলেন, ‘দলে ফিরে আসার জন্য যে সুযোগ দেয়া দরকার, সেটা নির্বাচকদের কাছে আশা করছি। আমার বিশ্বাস আমি ভালো করব।’
ক্যারিয়ারের তুঙ্গে থাকা অবস্থায় হঠাত্ করেই ২০০৮ সালে আফতাবের জীবনে নেমে আসে আইসিএল (ইন্ডিয়ান ক্রিকেট লিগ) নামক এক অভিশাপ। যে অভিশাপের প্রায়শ্চিত্ত আজও বহন করতে হচ্ছে বাংলাদেশের ইতিহাসে সবচেয়ে অ্যাটাকিং এ ক্রিকেটারকে। অভিশপ্ত আইসিএলে যার নেতৃত্বে আফতাবরা যোগ দিয়েছিলেন, সেই হাবিবুল বাশার এখন জাতীয় দলের নির্বাচক! আইসিএলে খেলতে যাওয়া অন্যান্য ক্রিকেটারকে বার বার জাতীয় দলে সুযোগ দেয়া হলেও কোনো এক অজানা কারণে আফতাবকে সে সুযোগটিও দেয়া হচ্ছে না। এমনকি একাডেমি কিংবা ‘এ’ দলেও খেলার সুযোগ দেয়া হচ্ছে না এক সময়ের অপরিহার্য এই ক্রিকেটারকে। সম্প্রতি ঘোষিত ‘এ’ দলের ভারত সফরেও ঠাঁই মেলেনি আফতাবের। অন্যদিকে আইসিএল নিষেধাজ্ঞা কাটিয়ে সর্বশেষ ২০১০ সালে জাতীয় দলের হয়ে খেলতে দীর্ঘদিন পর মাঠে নামেন আফতাব। ৫ মার্চ চট্টগ্রামে ইংল্যান্ডের সঙ্গে সে খেলায় আফতাব দলের হয়ে সর্বোচ্চ ৪৬ রানও করেন। এই একটি খেলায় সুযোগ দিয়েই তাকে আবারও বাদের তালিকায় রাখা হয়। দেশের মাটিতে নিউজিল্যান্ড কিংবা জিম্বাবুয়ে সিরিজেও জায়গা হয়নি তার। তবে এত অবহেলা আর তাচ্ছিল্যের পরও ক্রিকেটকে এখনও নিজের ধ্যান-জ্ঞান মনে করেন চট্টগ্রাম থেকে উঠে আসা অসম্ভব প্রত্যয়ী এই তারকা ক্রিকেটার। চট্টগ্রামে অনুশীলন করার পরিসর সীমিত হওয়ার পরও যথাসম্ভব প্র্যাকটিস চালিয়ে যাচ্ছেন পরবর্তী ক্রিকেট মৌসুমে নিজেকে প্রমাণ করার জন্য। সদ্যসমাপ্ত চট্টগ্রাম প্রিমিয়ার লিগে এফএমসি স্পোর্টসের হয়ে দুর্দান্ত পারফর্ম করেছেন।
২৬ বছর বয়সী এ ক্রিকেটার কঠোর পরিশ্রম করছেন জাতীয় দলে আবারও ফিরে আসার জন্য। নিজের ক্যারিয়ার নিয়ে আলোচনাকালে আফতাব জানান, ‘যেহেতু ‘এ’ দলে ডাক পেলাম না, তাই প্রস্তুতি নিচ্ছি অক্টোবরের জাতীয় লিগের জন্য। কারণ এর আগে তেমন কোনো টুর্নামেন্ট বা ম্যাচ খেলার সুযোগ নেই। ক্রিকেটকে ভালোবাসি এবং যতদিন সম্ভব সেটা খেলে যাব। দলে ফিরে আসার জন্য যে সুযোগ দেয়া দরকার, সেটা নির্বাচকদের কাছে প্রত্যাশা করছি। আমার বিশ্বাস, সুযোগ পেলে অবশ্যই নিজেকে সেভাবে প্রমাণ করতে পারব।’

http://www.amardeshonline.com/pages/weekly_news/2012/07/01/8072[/বাংলা]

crikss
June 30, 2012, 09:10 PM
9 years old thread..

Habib
June 30, 2012, 10:34 PM
Another good for nothing whiner.

Zeeshan
June 30, 2012, 10:36 PM

LOL BC is inundated with Nazim, Rock, Rajib, Aftab et. ilk on fp. smh

Sohel
June 30, 2012, 11:02 PM
This thread brings back memories of unabashed optimism from a more innocent era. We had so much hope and so little cynicism because of what guys like Aftab Ahmed Chowdhury and Md. Nafees Iqbal Khan offered at the U19 level. Even less touted youngsters like Shahriar Nafees Ahmed were thought of as guys who can take us to the proverbial Promised Land with the combination of good hair, DOHS bravado and class worthy of our passion as fans.

Now an out of shape and hairless Aftab gets biachslapped by his tenants instead of slapping international bowlers all over the park. A gutless Iqbal plans to live vicariously through his younger, two-packs-a-day brother. And Shahriar spends time discussing how it's not really possible for him to work hard unless he's in the national team.

Anyway, it's good to see our sports reporters doing what they do best: lobby based on recycled ancient history and CPL (didn't know the league existed before reading the article) heroics. Still no actual match reporting to put any of the numbers in context, but hey, that's expecting way too much.

Now I'm looking forward to other lobbying efforts in the near future, using great performances in various khyap and par'ha-mauholla matches as statistical justification.

frd
July 1, 2012, 12:51 AM
এমনকি যুব দলেও জায়গা পাচ্ছেন না।
???? হায় বাংলাদেশী সাংবাদিক :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

F6_Turbo
July 1, 2012, 01:12 AM
Now here is a guy who looked like the weight of the world was on his shoulders. He always looked a second away from bursting into tears, it's why I could never get myself to berate him properly(like say Ashraful)...instead I always ended up feeling sorry for Aftab.

He looks a bit 'simple', and I think lots of different people telling him different things, completely fried his circuits.

cricman
July 1, 2012, 01:17 AM
This guy could Bat, Field and could even Bowl, shame what the ICL did to him. It's like the ICL took away all his powers.

Sohel
July 1, 2012, 01:20 AM
His IQ coupled with that classic dufre-domasa-kaowa laziness fried those circuits faster than necessary. The repeated blows survived by his fragile self esteem, thanks to a hattrick of HSC (karigori) failures, made that existential circuit board totally unsalvageable a couple of years ago.

Antora
July 1, 2012, 02:59 AM
awwww Aftab :(

Nadim
July 1, 2012, 03:07 AM
LOL "Cricket khela boroi koster"-Aftab few years back!!!!

Deserve where he is now :sick:

crikss
July 1, 2012, 03:09 AM
Aftab will be always remembered in bangladesh cricket history for the 6 he hit against Aussie

Sohel
July 1, 2012, 03:15 AM
Aftab will be always remembered in bangladesh cricket history for the 6 he hit against Aussie

Until such sixes become commonplace. So it looks like he'll be remembered for the next 20 years at the least. No one remembers HaBa's streaky, edgy 50s anymore. Then again many amongst us don't remember what their Islamist/Totalitarian/Authoritarian soulmates did throughout our history and get their deliberately misinformed and misguided, often dumb kids to want more.

(That's right, ghure-phire abar shei jaygay)

Zeeshan
July 1, 2012, 04:10 AM
Aftab to East LA er chele. Bandana tandana pore to pura ghetto...

Sohel
July 1, 2012, 04:22 AM
Aftab to East LA er chele. Bandana tandana pore to pura ghetto...

I'd pay to see him to go and sing this there:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NuCZDanw3aE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sas e trezik hiru ob aowar kiriket.

playmaker
July 1, 2012, 06:37 AM
Aftab couldve been the Right handed david warner had we worked hard, now look where he is now :facepalm:

KaaL-PurusH
July 1, 2012, 08:55 AM
It's a treat to see him when he gets going but he always lacked the temperament to sustain in international cricket

TigerEz
July 1, 2012, 01:26 PM
Or bepare kichu bolar nai......choto belay jokhon o batting e ashto, tokhon ami r amar mama duijon TV'r dike chillay boltam, CHOKKA CHOKKA CHOKKA! (six)

shakibrulz
July 1, 2012, 03:44 PM
Aftab couldve been the Right handed david warner had we worked hard, now look where he is now :facepalm:

He couldn't have made right handed Mitchell Johnson, let alone Warner.

BANFAN
July 1, 2012, 04:48 PM

It's a thread of 2003. It's so nice to see how hopeful we all were about this guy. Unfortunately he couldn't live upto expectation... .. Hope he wors hard and can make a come back as a complete cricketer.

RazabQ
July 1, 2012, 11:19 PM
Hey, if he finally realizes he needs to slog off and evolve his game, then power to him. But as ATMR so often says, Aftab is not really a batsman. He doesn't have any big innings. At any level. Seriously.

Rifat
July 7, 2012, 05:55 AM
We had a good T20 Prospect there...keyword: HAD!
I remember Alhamdulillah! He did very well in 2007 World T20 cup! After ICL, his reputation, career everything went and that was the end of that!