PDA

View Full Version : Left-handed batsmen

Zobair
October 14, 2003, 08:49 PM
Studies seem to show that Left-handed batsmen seem to do better than right-handed batsmen. I read this on BBC. Here is the link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3191380.stm)

So, I am wondering do we have any budding left-handed batting talent?! Are any of the batsmen in the president's and A squad southpaws?! Any info will be appreciated.

fwullah
October 14, 2003, 11:30 PM
It'll be a really tough one to find a left-handed batsman in Bangladesh. They are rare!

Kalbaisakhi
October 15, 2003, 05:07 AM
Dev should take preparation to get atleast 3 left handed batsman.I also prefer left handed because now a days there are no many left handed bowler in cricket world.But a lot of right handed bowler.And i watched that a left handed batsman play a right handed bowler easily. And left handed bats man play a left handed bowler easily.So i think Dev should take many steps to get atleast 3 quality left handed bats man.

:):)

James90
October 15, 2003, 05:56 AM
You can't pick one batsman over another depending on if they're right or left handed

Nasif
October 15, 2003, 09:07 AM
May be the kid in the picture is a future prospect :D

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39439000/jpg/_39439614_bang_kids203.jpg

[Edited on 15-10-2003 by nasif]

acbizz
October 15, 2003, 12:08 PM
Its look great. He has a cap also :)

BangladeshCricket
October 15, 2003, 09:38 PM
yea the kid's stroke looks solid comparing to the facilities they get playing cricket...left handed batsman is rare in our team but if you look at other teams they have combinations atleast one or two batsmen are left handed in other teams. I guess it's just the way we grow up and our prejudices and superstitions

Carte Blanche
October 15, 2003, 09:45 PM
We have some kind of superstitions in our country about being lefty. I had 2 school friends who were genuinely left handed (batting, writing, punching, even eating). Both their families forced them to turn right-handed. If they were to be future BD cricketers, we would have lost 2 southpaws. I asked one of them why he was forced to shift to right hand. He said "The hujur of our area saw me writing left-handed and he told my dad that your son is left-handed. We're supposed to do good things with right hand as god suggests. So make him do everything with right hand, except for the obvious left-hand job". I don't know to what extent this superstition is prevalent in BD though.

Carte Blanche
October 15, 2003, 09:51 PM
EDIT: Sorry posted at the wrong thread

[Edited on 16-10-2003 by Carte Blanche]

pagol-chagol
October 15, 2003, 09:55 PM
The kid is playing like our world cup heroes. Giving a sneak to the first sleep. Reminds me of the Vaas over.;)

James90
October 16, 2003, 02:02 AM
He's off balance and either beaten or edged and just because he's left handed you're labelling him a future star?

Tehsin
October 16, 2003, 02:11 AM
James, they are kiddig about the guy. Relax.

Nasif
October 16, 2003, 10:19 AM
Carte: Our hujurs don't know anything. They are our prime reason for backwardness. God never suggests to use right hand anywhere.

H_fan: We were just joking as tehsin bhai says.

On sidenote my friend Huda, who is in Texas now, is a genuie leftie. He bats and bowls left handed. But amazingly he writes with right hand :)

cricket_er
October 16, 2003, 11:11 AM
Nasif,

Your picture should make cricket management of the other countries really start shaking in their pants. Honestly guys if a poor little kid ( My assumption) could play with so much accuracy like it shows in the picture, than sky is the limit. I am just delighted seeing that picture.

And Habib_fan, how can you say he is off balance, the guy went accross and letting the ball go, like he should.

[Edited on 16-10-2003 by cricket_er]