PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite book?

mona
October 15, 2003, 06:53 AM
before you click the back button...

ok i'm at the library and after looking for a couple of books which turn out to be borrowed, i find myself at a complete loss at what to borrow because i've run out of books that i know of. so i end up borrowing a book i've read before.

i was wondering if any of you could help me by posting your favourite book or one that you like. i tend to stay away from sci-fi/fantasy but i'll try anything if it sounds good. also i've just read Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre in a row, so i'm sort of sick of that courtship/love in the country, industrial revolution era sort of stuff.

well my fav book definitely has to be Tandia by Bryce Courtenay (yes it is the one i borrowed) the brilliant sequel to The Power of One.....for those of you who haven't heard of it- it's in 1950's South Africa about a coloured girl and what happens to her. But only read it after The Power of One and it'll make your reading experience perfect

Kalbaisakhi
October 15, 2003, 07:11 AM
Different kinds of book i like most.I like science fiction,ditective,horror.

I like all knds of book to read.But like to read Sunil Ganguly's"Kaka Babu and Santu" Satyajit Roy's"Feluda" etc.

:lol::lol::lol:

Nasif
October 15, 2003, 08:11 AM
Dostoyevski's - Crime And Punishment
Conan Doyle's - Sherlock Holmes - "Study in Scarlet" and "Hounds of Buskervilles"

Bangla:
1. Humayun Ahmed's - Kobi, Jonom Jonom, Opekkha, Debi, Nishithini, and some of Himu and Misir Ali series.

2. Sarat Chandra's - Choritrahin, Debdash

And finally my most fav book is God's Quran (http://www.quran.org/adam/light2/main/religion/quran_translation/index_rk.htm) :)

[Edited on 15-10-2003 by nasif]

oracle
October 15, 2003, 09:46 AM
Mona, this is an interesting post. My list probably reflects my reading habit which could be characterised as impulsive with a wide spectrum of subjects. I also dabble into foreign books for no apparent reason.
Anyway, here is my impromtu list (not ranked in preference):

-Feynmann's lectures on physics
-Stephen Jay Gould-anything, "The Flamingo's smile" comes into mind.
-Soren Kirkegaard-"attack on christendom". A truly fascinating philosopher;neurotic and anti-establishment.
-Cialdini-"Influence"-for its incisive accounts of human psychology.
-Jack Kerouac-"Dharma Bums"- just a cool book.
-Sufi prose and poetry when I am down. Try "Way of the Sufi" by Idris Shah as an introduction.

Unfortunately, my bangla reading is limited to Satyajit Ray. Also, when I was a teenager I enjoyed a cute book by, I believe Ray's father, the name of the book I cannot recall. Actually, I started to read some of Sunil Gangophadhay's prose after watching one of Ray's film.:):)

Sami
October 15, 2003, 10:30 AM
-Feynmann's lectures on physics

no offence dude but you really got to be kidding me... this book was my text for the Physics course last sem and everytime I started reading I dozed off.... but then again I am not much of a studybook reader so I guess it doesnt count much...

now about ma fave books:

''Foundation triology'' by none other but Asimov and also from him another book: ''The Robots of Dawn''...

Some Sidney sheldon books... I read them under the influence of my sis (and never regretted it). Specially these 2 books from Sheldon: ''The other side of Midnight'' and ''tell me your dreams'' are just awesome...

And Muhammad jafar Iqbal... what do i say abt this guy... almost all his Sci-fi are awesome... Best one in my opinion is ''noi noi shunno teen'' a must read for any Sci-fi fan... I read his books and imagine them being made into movies... they would make some kickass movies... :D

[Edited on 15-10-2003 by radicalsami]

Mahmood
October 15, 2003, 10:32 AM
My favorite is mostly science fiction and fatasy. So I am rulled out autometically.

You should like reading Erich Maria Remarque 's books. There are many books, do a search.

My favorites are:
The Road Back
All Quiet on the Western Front

oracle
October 15, 2003, 10:36 AM
''Foundation triology'' by none other but Asimov.

This book is also too long. Bradbury is a far better writer than him. Cheers.:)

Tintin
October 15, 2003, 11:39 AM
All Quiet on the Western Front

I read it recently and it was wonderful. I have been away from home for some seven years now, and the trip that the narrator makes to his home was like one of my homecomings and extremely touching :(

Zobair
October 15, 2003, 12:59 PM
Power of one is awesome but I am yet to read Tandia...so when I get the opportunity..inshallah I will. My tastes in books is bizzarre and do not follow any pattern....There was a time, I would read every Agatha Christie book I could lay my hands on...then there were the classics...like "Mansfield Park"...and the good ol' Charles Dickens...another book that comes to mind is "To kill a mocking bird" ..one of the best...nowadays I don't get much time to read novels but sometimes make time to read a good light comedy like " The Inscrutable Americans" :)

Orpheus
October 15, 2003, 03:04 PM
I am sorry.. I was at school library and I wasn't thinking and I recommended a stupid and boring book - actually that was the book on shelf there and I thought what the hell . I will seriously give my "discreet and discrete" reply in 20 minutes. Hopefully Raj bhai will not censor this one...

[Edited on 15-10-2003 by Orpheus]

[Edited on 15-10-2003 by Orpheus : came to senses]

Pundit
October 15, 2003, 04:14 PM
I was an avid reader once. That changed for the opposite ever since I got into grad school and my thesis advisor grabbed me by my privates to squelch free all juices of literary curiosity that I had once possessed.

:(

And now, work as an elecrical engineer has still not allowed me to claw back and seize that oh so peaceful but once intellectually rephlendent solitude that some cherish so much in their teens.

But my recuperation has begun - with the great comic characters that we all are so familiar with - Tintin and co.

:lol:

Orpheus
October 15, 2003, 05:41 PM
Warning: Weak hearted, Law abiding citizens should not go further than this line. I have on my list many banned books.

First my opinion: Mona, what the hell are you doing here wanting recommendation from all these old people? Someone actually recommending you to read lectures on Physics? lol

Seriously, at age 15 - shouldn't you be reading "kuch kuch hota hai" by Koron Johr? Better yet, you can read the book "How to throw the perfect sweet sixteen party" by a russian girl name Neet Xis. The following books should be on every teen's self:
1) First Kiss by Cinderel Kissinger. (No relation to terrorist Henry Kissinger). Perhaps this book is too outdated for you because teens these days are so advanced. It's probably too late to read it anyway. If that's the case you can always try
2)Six inch off the root and I am thinking:Don't by Mary Creed. A nice swedish Lady.
A must teenager book by an author who studied this 50 years to write the following book.
3)Mood Swings by Demystry Menopause. She is an American.
The next book is worth a look for our Indian teen age chatters
4)Chatting Zone by Chatterjee Mukhepaaddei from Calcutta. Her book is very thuggish and she uses very shophisticated vocabularies such as "LOL", "LMAO".

There are two Bangla books that I wanted to recommend. We should all know our Mother's language well. I am afraid Raj bhai might be pissed if I name them. But I will name Humayun Ahmed's "Chokir Niche Nogno Ekti Fool". Great tragedy - better than your favorite "kothao kew nei".

Anyways, I think I gave you a lot of books. If you like them, I will be happy to provide with more - Cheers. :P

Orpheus
October 15, 2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Pundit
I was an avid reader once. That changed for the opposite ever since I got into grad school and my thesis advisor grabbed me by my privates to squelch free all juices of literary curiosity that I had once possessed.

LOL ... How many liters of juice?

fab
October 15, 2003, 06:10 PM
No offence orpheus but those books sound terrible.

Mona, did you get a chance to read Wilkie Collin's Woman in White? I think you'll like that.

fab
October 15, 2003, 06:22 PM
Tintin

Have you read "The Little Prince" by Antoine De Saint-Exupery? It is a kids book but written for adults. The illustrations done by Saint-Exupery himself are absolutely charming.

Tintin
October 15, 2003, 07:07 PM
No, fab

mona
October 16, 2003, 03:12 AM
Tintin- read it. it's gorgeous. it's not a kid's book at all. that's what it looks like but i'm sure it was intended for adults. like animal farm.

Orphy- how about no? those books do sound sh*t. in fact, they sound so crap i suspect their existence. come on, Demystry Menopause ??????

Rad- Sidney Sheldon?? my mum brought one home and oh my god, after every single sentence i was like 'this is bullshit'

Fab- not a fan of Wilkie Collins. I did an English essay on the Moonstone and i never even finished reading it.

Pompous- do read it. and like now, possibly. it's way better than Power of One, and that's not easy!

Everyone- thanks guys! i'll definitely try..uh...some of them! and keep them coming!

Sham
October 16, 2003, 04:04 AM
Read Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger. Also, read The Alchemist by Paulo Cuelho. Actually, everyone should read that. Its an awesome book. Takes about half an hour to read but you'll come away feeling so good! And of course, THE GODFATHER!!

Orpheus
October 16, 2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by mona

Orphy- how about no? those books do sound sh*t. in fact, they sound so crap i suspect their existence. come on, Demystry Menopause ??????

HAHA ... you obviously are a smart girl! But you shouldn't let people down like that. I got feelings too you know! :(

By the way, I wrote a book myself. "Baam haater opokormo". Spent many sleepless nights writing it.

MORE "By the ways", is it me or are all those recommended books sound like the books they assign in High School? I always used sparknotes and my chapabazi. That equals to an A. Sometimes I got shocked and awed by my own chapabzi.

[Edited on 16-10-2003 by Orpheus]

Tintin
October 16, 2003, 11:33 AM
Read Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger.

Will girls like Catcher in the Rye ?

Sham
October 16, 2003, 09:30 PM
You don't think girls will like Catcher in the Rye? I dont know. I don't see why not.

Tintin
October 16, 2003, 10:13 PM
One reason why we love Catcher in the Rye is that we can identify some parts of Holden with us. It may not be the same for girls. I don't know.

Sham
October 16, 2003, 10:20 PM
Well, if Mona gets around to reading it, she can tell us whether its something girls would like.

mona
October 17, 2003, 06:43 PM
haha ok i will read it then.

umm Nascer let's see...well i must say i like contemporary stuff better than those classics (you know the ones i mean). I hated Charles Dickens from the moment I tried to read Oliver Twist and he spent the whole first page explaining why he shouldnt tell us Oliver's birth date. Actually I liked A Tale of Two Cities, so i guess i don't hate him.

Foreign books. Foreign writers, I like. Anyone read Snow Falling on Cedars?..it's so sweet. umm what else. haha I don't hate sci-fi and fantasy it's just i've never tried them (except for Douglas Adams..does that count?) and fantasy seems so tiring, all the books seem to be in a series with a million books and thick as.

Fab has a big influence on what i read, what she reads i read, most of the time. sometimes i go find my own randoms but yeah. and i still haven't answered your question.

anyway it really isn't about me, just note you're favourites and i'll see if i could like them.

[Edited on 17-10-2003 by mona]

Sham
October 17, 2003, 10:57 PM
Nascer bhai,

You like PGW? Oh man, you and I are kindred spirits!! PG rocks man!

Zobair
October 17, 2003, 11:05 PM
PGW was awesome... one of a kind...

mona
October 19, 2003, 01:06 AM
Nascer you give me way too much credit but using my so-called intelligence i typed into google 'Jeeves character book' and found out that your PGW is Wodehouse. so there i've got the name- and..uh..there seem to be quite a number of books and through my (not very)extensive research i've found that it starts off with 'The Inimitable Jeeves' if this is wrong can you please tell me what it is. Thanks.

mona
October 20, 2003, 02:17 AM
lol thanks Nascer. I've just finished Courtenay so next stop is Wodehouse!

Now it's my turn to impose on you and everybody else to please please read The Power of One and then Tandia. After finishing Tandia for the second time, I've realised all over again how exquisite both books are. It pains me to imagine somebody is going through life right at this moment without having read them. So you have to see how important it is that you do....preferably some time soon.

rafiq
October 21, 2003, 12:55 AM
There are too many good books. Keeping in mind your apprehension for love set in nineteenth century english country estates, and noting your disinterest in such neo-classics as "bam haater.." by our own orpheus, here are some modern day writers I would recommend:

Philip Roth and Milan Kundera. Particularly Czech writer Kundera's earlier works - The Joke, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting, Life is Elsewhere and, of course, what many considered the defining book of the last days of communism in the eighties, The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

I have been reading many of the South Asian heritage writers, although now there are so many you have to pick and choose. Hanif Kureishi, Pakistani-British, remains my favorite - My beautiful laundretter, Buddha in Suburbia, most of his work ends up in films.

Of the new Indian writers, Arundhati Roy is a cut above. not only for God of Small Things, but also for her regular political commentary in publications such as the Guardian in the UK.

I'll give you a plug for my old schoolmate Sujata's husband Raj Kamal Jha. His Blue Bedspread was critically acclaimed a couple of years ago but you may want Fab to read this first as it is very dark and definitely not PG-13.

Read new desi writers who are winning significant awards - Jhumpa Lahiri in the US and now Bangladeshi-British Monica Ali whose Brick Lane I am reading now. She was shortlisted for the Booker in the UK and maybe has already won it this month?

Because you live in Australia, try Adib Khan's Seasonal Adjustment, which was interesting only because it's a story of Bangladeshi - Australian immigration. Not a great book, but you may like it.

Finally, I like the old VS Naipaul novels - the ones set in Trinidad where he grew up. Some of the most hilarious books I have ever read, try Bend in the River.

Among the American writers and the great coming-of-age novels, of course Salinger and Kerouac which people mentioned, but also Updike (Hotel New Hampshire and Rabit, Run) and Steinback.

This post is long enough as it is, hopefully you are trying Rabindranath in Bangla or in translation.

Let me know if you ever read any of these and what you thought of them. Enjoy!

mona
October 21, 2003, 03:23 AM
Thanks Rafiq bhai! They all sound really good! Shamefully, I have to admit that God of Small Things is the only one out of your list that I've read! How gorgeous is it?! I always read the 'we be of one blood ye and i' part. it's so cute. and i've just started Catcher in the Rye (sorry Nascer, my school doesn't have a very good Wodehouse collection) which i must admit is very different from what i thought it would be! hell i don't even know what the title means so i thought it would be all intellectual and stuff. it's really good though, but the way he says 'and all' after everything is almost annoying. but it's still good. jesus i wish the match would start...i normally like rain but seriously...:(

oh and sad news for you yanks...Tandia is not published in America! how you live i don't know...but not to worry! tell me your birthdays and i'll send you one...once i get a job..which will hopefully be soon! anyway Power of One is so run along to your local library!

Sham
October 21, 2003, 04:29 AM
Catcher in the Rye surprises most people. Its a wonderful book though.

Rafiq bhai, lots of good suggestions there. I really like Naipaul as well. I have to get a hold of Bend in the River. Haven't read that one. You might enjoy Kazuo Ishiguro. He won the Booker prize in 89 for his book 'The Remains of the Day' (later made into a movie starring Sir Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson)which is one of the most compelling novels I've read. Its brilliant, and wonderfully written. Give it a try and tell me what you think. Also, tell us about Brick Lane once you are done. I am itching to read it.

[Edited on 21-10-2003 by Sham]

Hasib
October 21, 2003, 07:44 AM
How about the Harry Potter Books?... (no, i'm not being silly)

rafiq
October 21, 2003, 10:35 AM
Sham,

I bought Ishuguro's Remains of the Day when the movie came out. But I am awful at reading books when I have already seen the movie. So Remain remains unread. There are a dozen others that I have started but not finished - how awful!

Someone said (I think it was in a movie I just saw, although definitely not in Kill Bill) "when we buy books what we are really buying is the time we think we have to read them". So true.

Tintin
October 21, 2003, 10:41 AM
Anyone ever tried James Joyce's Finnegans Wake ?

Zobair
October 21, 2003, 05:51 PM
vikram seth's "a suitable boy"

rafiq
October 21, 2003, 08:48 PM
pompous, at over 1000+ pages (was it?) don't you think suitable boy is a bit too much for a first read by mona? it was for me, so I was content to just read the reviews, which were excellent... waiting for him to write something shorter that I know I can finish :)

fab
October 21, 2003, 09:04 PM
Rafiq

She has actually already read it (a few times in fact, she's absolutely ruined my copy of it!). She's also read an Equal Music by Seth which isnt as long.

A Suitable Boy is very long, and very tiring to read, but well worth the effort.

Zobair
October 22, 2003, 09:24 AM
rafiq bhai! I rest my case...thump!! :P

Duck
November 5, 2006, 02:21 AM
This old thread saved some times. Just dug it out of the grave. But so informative. Although I didnt read many of them, but found awesome while reading " Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. Almost finished reading "Every Second Counts" by Lance Armstrong and Sally Jenkins. One is the border-line fiction of a shipwreck survivor and the other is the true portray of a cancer survivor.

It was amazing to read how Pi managed to dwell with Richard Parker (the Bengal tiger), in the same life boat along with a bunch of hyena, zebra, and orangutan and kept fighting with full faith in God. Loved to read the last few pages of the twists of his story.

Both books gave the accounts not only for survival, but also detail how they conquer their time. Still engrossed in the last few pages of "Every Second Counts". It is amazing to learn how Lance swipe the Tour de France for so many times and won all the odds and accusation. Enough to give you new blood in your vein.

Please keep posted about what you are currently reading. I thought of opening a new thread, then tamed my desire; rather panned this thread out of oblivion full of flavor!:)

Orpheus
November 5, 2006, 02:45 AM
Oh wow a thread from three years ago.. great! But thanks for bringing it up. I thoroughly enjoyed my own post.

It was pretty clever...

"Sweet sixteen" by a russian girl name Neet Xis - LMAO @ myself.

cricfanz
November 5, 2006, 04:56 AM
I love Dan Brown's books..
The Da Vinci Code, Deception Point, Angels and Demons, Digital Fortress...

all wonderful grippling thrillers..

anyway, To Kill a Mockingbird is an all-time favourite of mine, together with Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry and its sequel, Let the Circle be Unbroken..

the last two are written for kids (which was i was, about 5 years ago..lol), but i thoroughly enjoyed them..i love books that deals with racism and history, yet with good storylines that wont ramble off to 3 chapters of forest descriptions..(in other words, i didnt really enjoy "lord of the rings")

Omio
November 5, 2006, 06:10 AM
Josna o Jonnonir Golpo by H.Ahmed,
This is one of the best book of Humyan...

Hatebreed
November 5, 2006, 06:59 AM
Baam haater.. what?.. tsk tsk Orphy

Well, I'm not much of a reader but if anyone is into horror/adventure, or Stephen King, I recommend Island by Richard Laymon

thebest
November 5, 2006, 07:06 AM
Josna o Jonnonir Golpo by H.Ahmed,
This is one of the best book of Humyan...
I think you got the title wrong. It is [বাংলা]জননী ও জোৎস্নার গল্প[/বাংলা]. The best Humayan book for the last 20 years. But to me his best three are
[বাংলা]শন্খনীল কারাগার
নন্দিত নরকে
নির্বাসন[/বাংলা]. The first three books wrote by Humayon. He did not reach that height again.

Miraz
November 5, 2006, 07:15 AM
I think you got the title wrong. It is [বাংলা]জননী ও জোৎস্নার গল্প[/বাংলা]. The best Humayan book for the last 20 years. But to me his best three are
[বাংলা]শন্খনীল কারাগার
নন্দিত নরকে
নির্বাসন[/বাংলা]. The first three books wrote by Humayon. He did not reach that height again.

I agree, those books were written as a writer without any commercial viewpoint.

Now a days. Humayun sells the name of the book to the publisher and later writes it. This kind of commercial work will never reach that height again. Same applies to his TV dramas.

Omio
November 5, 2006, 08:42 AM
hmm, humayan write really well...
Anisul hauque is simply the besttttttt

Spitfire_x86
November 5, 2006, 01:38 PM
[বাংলা]বাংলা: পথের পাঁচালী, অপরাজিত, আরণ্যক, অশনি সংকেত, মা[/বাংলা]

English/Available in English: Uncle Tom's Cabin, A Christmas Carol, 1984, The Lost World (Arthur Conan Doyle), many of Jules Verne's works, Harry Potter