PDA

View Full Version : technical advice needed...

al Furqaan
September 18, 2007, 10:52 PM
i am planning on buying either a DVD recorder or a DVR for my mother.

to my knowledge DVRs (at least the affordable ones) only allow 200 hours of recording after which the hard disk must be cleared. is this so?

is there any way to save the material permenently? my mother is mainly interested in the bangla natoks and rabindro sangeet songs programs.

i am vouching for DVD recorders since i will be able to record TV shows and cricket matches directly onto DVDs.

my question here is, do i still need to subsribe to TiVo? will an independent DVD recorder work with my dish network and comcast cable? is it fairly easy to set-up?

my TV is a Sony, but the DVD recorder i wanna get is a samsung...will it be difficult to hook them up? the sony DVD recorders seem to suck based on user ratings.

and information is appreciated.

Sohel
September 30, 2007, 07:09 AM
Get a high-end Chinese brand like Changhong, they play and record everything.

Puck
October 1, 2007, 10:14 AM
hi furqaan, as long as they take a standard 21 pin scart plug all recorders would be useable with tv sets. you might want to look at a machine that has an internal hard drive but also allows to programmes to be written on dvd discs later. the likes of samsung should be as good as any other top notch japanese or korean brands. do bear in mind that these things were not meant to last forever when the outlay is a couple of hundred dollars.

Nasif
October 1, 2007, 11:03 AM
Puck: in this side of the pond, we don't use SCART.

al_furqan:
Yes, DVD recorder will be able to record off dish/cable anything you throw at it. As long as you have minimum of composite video output (your yellow, red, white socket) from the back of your dish/cable/tv.

Few things you need to consider before buying DVD recorder:
1. Make sure it supports wide variety of media, atleast DVD-R and DVD-RW.
2. If there is a firewire connector, then it would be beneficial for you. You can then easily convert DV (minidv camcorder video) into DVD on the fly.
3. Make sure you have component output from your dish or cable or tv, depending on how you will setting it up. Component sockets will always be colored as yellow, white, red. Yellow is video, white and red are 2 audio channels. If you don't have that, then you will have to pipe video through standard antenna connector (F-socket). You can bring output from dish/cable into DVD recorder then take output from DVD recorder to TV.

If all above sounds complicated, don't worry its not. Setting up DVD recorder is fairly simple.

I have Samsung DVD recorder works great.

As far as DVR goes, if its not from dish/cable provider then usefulness of the device goes down by manifold. But if it is from the dish/cable provider then nothing will be able to beat that! I use Dishnet DVR and its a charm. Once you start using DVR you can't go back.

All cable/dish DVR records data as encrypted; as such you can't take digital data out. Only way for you to record off DVR is to play it and record it on your DVD recorder. :)

al Furqaan
October 1, 2007, 11:10 AM
thanks a lot, i bought the thing almost 2 weeks ago, but haven't been able to sit down and hook it up properly...anyways, if i can't do it, one of my friends is an electronics whiz (he un-installed my car's stereo system for me).