View Full Version : US F1 visa suggestion

September 24, 2007, 12:49 PM
I came to the US with my with F2 visa and changed my status to F1 when I got admitted to a school. Now I want to go to BD to see my Dad who had a surgery. Since I changed my status I have to take a new multiple visa in order to come back to the US. Could you brothers please advise me if I should go to Dhaka and apply for F1 or go somewhere else for that. I am really tensed about this...........

September 24, 2007, 01:00 PM
I couldnt get your point. If you have changed your visa status from F2 to F1(in US), then why do you need to go Dhaka Consulate again ?

anyway, you can find useful informations here


Hope your father gets well soon.

September 24, 2007, 01:01 PM
May the Almighty give him shafa'. Inshallah he will be better in no time.

Is not going to BD an option? I would prefer this (not take any chance).

The new rules may have changed but I think one has to get an appointment (for the US visa) at least a month or two ahead. How long do you plan to stay? Can someone arrange the appointment from Dhaka for you?

September 24, 2007, 01:11 PM
Wish your father a quick recovery.

I agree with TE ... if there's a way to avoid it, then stay put.

You can get F1 stamp only from your home country. There is no other option.

I don't want to alarm you, but based on my observation to date, it gets a little tougher to get F1 stamp if you switched from F2 to F1 while you're in US. I don't think there is any official rule that makes it harder, this is just an empirical observation. And as TE also mentioned - there may be delay of several months to get the appointment and then go through background checks in case your info triggers anything in their database.

Anyway, if you go to BD, I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

September 25, 2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks for all of your suggestions. You may know that if someone changes the visa status while staying in the US then the multiple entry is no longer valid. So I have to go outside of the US and take a new F1 visa. Since I am a female (sorry some of you may have thought othewise) does that help me to get security clearance ealy? I have been admitted to the PhD pogram , will it help me? Moreover, are you sure that a third country visa appointment is not an option?

September 25, 2007, 11:17 AM
If you are a female, traditionally it goes a lot easier and faster.

As far as I remember, F1 cannot be processed in a third country - only from your home country. But don't just assume I am correct - double check on INS web site.

September 25, 2007, 11:21 AM
2 my knowledge and have seen a morrakan friend getting visa from Canada. but he was already a F1. just got an extension from there. I am not sure about changing it from f2 to f1 from 3rd country... you can email Canadian (us) embassy and get the correct answer...

September 25, 2007, 02:00 PM
I don't fully understand what is being asked here, but all I can say is this:

You cannot get an entry VISA type changed while residing inside the US. What you can change is your "status" ... this change does not permit you to reenter the US, because you have not been given an entry VISA.

If you are leaving the US, you need to obtain an I-20 form (they may have changed the number of this form now, but it's the one given to students to obtain F1 VISA) from your university.

Now, if you are just asking our opinion on where to apply for an F1 entry VISA, I don't think you have any other choice than BD at this time (we're still on the list aren't we...). I think it's easier for females to get VISAs than males... but, of course, nothing is guaranteed for anyone. They might not like your face and just not give you a VISA... nothing you can do about it other than trying again.

I don't think anybody else can understand your priorities better than you yourself. It's really your call as to whether you want to risk reentry problems by visiting your father.

September 25, 2007, 03:13 PM
I think F1 applications can be processed from a third country. A friend of mine has done it from Canada - but don't quote me on that, because I might very well be missing details. I'm currently in the US on a J1 VISA that was issued in Canada, and I am not Canadian.

September 25, 2007, 03:23 PM
1-800-375-5283 - USCIS National Customer Service Center

I presume your school has already submitted necessary paperworks to USCIS and changed your status to F1. Your main concern is if you can go to Canada/Mexico and get an F1 Visa stamped by the US consulate over there. Correct?

Even if that is an option (I am not sure that is an option at all), one must call that office and make an appointment months in advance. Call them up and talk to them before you make any decisions. They will assist you and be persistant. These things need a lot of planning. I say make appointments (apply there) for December (in Dhaka) and get the F1 visa over there. Yes, female and PhD programs get better treatments. Good luck!!

September 25, 2007, 08:56 PM
"I presume your school has already submitted necessary paperworks to USCIS and changed your status to F1. Your main concern is if you can go to Canada/Mexico and get an F1 Visa stamped by the US consulate over there. Correct?"

Yes, brother, you are correct. Now I am staying with the F1 status. I just need to know if it is possible to go to Canada and get F1 stamp, because to reenter US I need a F1 stamp.

September 25, 2007, 09:12 PM
As already suggested, your best bet is to call the US embassy in Canada and find out.

September 25, 2007, 11:11 PM
last december a friend in my grad school went to Canada to get multiple entry F1 visa. He was stuck there was security clearance, and after waiting for a while he went to bangladesh. Later he got the security clearance when he was in Bangladesh. Another female friend of mine renew his H1 visa instantly from Canada. This security clearance thing depends on luck.

I think applying for the visa from Bangladesh is a better option because if you have to wait for security clearance then you don't have to waste time in a country where you cannot do much. Since, you already have a US visa on your passport, you are in a better position compared to other people.