PDA

View Full Version : Terry Fox & The run

Bancan
September 25, 2007, 09:33 PM
I am walking on Thursday, to show my support for this cause. I opened this thread to let people know about Terry. I heard that the run is held in Bangladesh too. Can anyone confirm this?

The Terry Fox Run is an annual non-competitive charity event held in numerous regions across the globe in commemoration of cancer activist Terry Fox, and his Marathon of Hope, and to raise money for cancer research.

Terry Fox,(July 28, 1958 – June 28, 1981) was a Canadian humanitarian, athlete, and cancer treatment activist. He became famous for the Marathon of Hope, a cross-Canada run to raise money for cancer research, which Fox ran with one prosthetic leg. He is considered one of Canada's greatest heroes of the 20th century and is celebrated internationally every September as people participate in the Terry Fox Run, the world's largest one-day fundraiser for cancer research.

Fox began by dipping his leg in the Atlantic Ocean at St. John's, Newfoundland on April 12, 1980. He intended to dip it in the Pacific Ocean when he arrived in Victoria, British Columbia. He also filled two large bottles with Atlantic Ocean water; his plan was to keep one as a souvenir and pour the other one into the Pacific. His plan was to run about 42 km (26.2 miles) a day, the distance of a typical marathon. No one had ever done anything similar to the task Fox was undertaking.
Fox was unable to finish his run. X-rays revealed that Terry's right lung had a lump the size of a golf ball, and his left lung had another lump the size of a lemon. The lumps were not lung cancer; rather, they were bone cancer that went into his lungs through his bloodstream. He was forced to stop the run on September 1, 1980 just north-east of Thunder Bay, Ontario, after 143 days. He had run 5,373 km (3,339 miles, or around 23.3 miles per day) through Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, and Ontario.

Soon after Fox was forced to stop, the CTV television network organized a telethon in hopes of raising additional funds for the cause. Any celebrities within range of Toronto were invited to participate, and the event raised millions of dollars. Many of the guests paid tribute to Fox; TV actor Lee Majors called him "the real Six Million Dollar Man."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Fox

layperson
September 25, 2007, 10:03 PM
Yes it is held in Bangladesh too. I remember going to it from my school in Dhaka.