PDA

View Full Version : Sameercreep's spinner analysis

pagol-chagol
October 15, 2003, 09:31 PM
Sameercreep - can you please give us your expert analysis on some of our spinners?

Do you think Alok is improving?

[Edited on 16-10-2003 by pagol-chagol]

samircreep
October 16, 2003, 03:52 AM
Wow, looks like I havea fan out there.

I already said a few things about Fahim and Enamul so let's talk a bit about Kapali.

Kapali: I think 4-5 months ago, someone mentioned that Ash was a "confidence" bowler and needed to be backed up by his captain and fielders all the time for him to succeed. On the contrary.Having seen both Kapali and Ash bowl for the last year or so, I think the former is much more of a victim of bouts of confidence losses.

Technically Kapali is a fine bolwer. He has a good runup to the wicket, can disguise his straighter ball from his legie pretty well, (all the victims of his now famous hat trick were victims of his straighter ball) and has a pretty high arm action to get some decent bounce off any wicket. What he does need to change is his angle of runup. For my money, the guy bowls too straight.For those of you guys who have bowled some spin, you'll realize that unless you put some angle on your runup, you'll end up landing the ball pretty straight unless you're a chinaman in which case the ball has a natural angle by virtue of you being left handed.Another technical problem is that he pitches way too many deliveries on leg stump.Such negative bowling might work in the domestic league (and it obviously has since he was the highest wicket taker 2 years ago) but suffocating the batsmen won't work in the international level, especially during the tests. Kapali's test bowling stats, inspite of his hatrick, are proof of his negatove mindframe.

And this where the confidence come in. If I were his skipper, I'd say "Look, get me wickets. Pitch the ball on off, turn and flight it a bit. Yes, you will get spanked a bit but we're behind you." I'd rather have Kapali have analysis like 10-0-53-3 than 10-0-45-1 which it usually is during one dayers.

Has Kapali improved?No.But he can be a match winner if he reads my column.

Sham
October 16, 2003, 04:11 AM
Samir is right, he needs to change his angle of delivery. Having seen him against Pakistan, he bowls the same ball over and over and he likes pitching on leg-stump. Alok would do well to vary his pace as well. Right now, he likes to bowl at the same speed, give the same amount of flight and pitch it at the same place every ball. Its due to a lack of confidence about in his bowling ability. He needs to vary more. I don't think he is gonna have a killer googly anytime soon, the thing that makes leggies stand out. But he has to do more with what he has.

pagol-chagol
October 16, 2003, 06:59 AM
Thanks guys.

oracle
October 16, 2003, 08:03 AM
Interesting. Do you think this change, i.e the angle of delivery can be corrected within a time frame of couple of months. Also, regarding the bowling course that he is attending (in India), will that signify a change(turning point) for the better in the upcoming ODI's.

Sham
October 16, 2003, 11:30 AM
Changing the angle of delivery is one of the easier things that a spinner can learn to do. Actually, it is the easiest change a spinner can bring about, when compared to learning to flight more, or learning a new type of delivery. Having said that, its not an overnight thing. For spinners, its very important to get used to doing something. You don't want to try something out in a match, you want to practice it in the nets and make sure that you can do it properly before trying it in a match. A time frame of two months can be enough to change the angle of delivery if he makes the change and bowls enough to get used to his new angle.

Is he actually attending that course in India? Haven't heard anytihng about it in a while. If he is, then I'm sure it will help him out because he will be exposed to other ways of doing things and we will try out a new variation or two, which is much needed for him, especially in Test cricket.

Mahmood
October 16, 2003, 11:36 AM
No, Kapali did not go the training in India.

Rubel is the only one who finally went.