PDA

View Full Version : CG trying to monitor the net?

Nasif
October 4, 2007, 05:02 PM
Not sure how authentic this blog entry is, but here is the gist of it:

Officials from different ISPs in Dhaka, Sylhet and Chittagong have confirmed to E-Bangladesh that they were verbally instructed late September by the authorities to:

Provide a list of all their subscribers with name, address and connection details.
Share the admin password of internet gateway servers.
Facilitate installation of “traffic scanners” provided by RAB on gateway routers.
http://www.e-bangladesh.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/btrc-isp-memo.jpg
A memo issued by BTRC that instructed ISPs to share/reveal sensitive private data of internet users, business details and technical information was leaked to E-Bangladesh. This memo, BTRC/E&O/ISP-Gen.(302)/2007-1697, issued on September 26, was signed by Dilshat Ara Shela, Assistant Director Engineering & Operations, BTRC. It instructed and advised 72 ISPs in Dhaka, Chittagong and Sylhet:
To provide BTRC with details of bandwidth lease and usage.
To provide details of “corporate/dedicated/shared” clients: Name, address, IP.
To provide copies of technical agreements with connectivity providers.
To reveal individual client MRTG URL with user id and password.

I guess we don't deserve any right to privacy with so much corruption, manipulation, and failed democracy.

How important do you think it is in context of BD?

Source Link (http://www.e-bangladesh.org/2007/10/03/crackdown-on-internet-users-in-bangladesh/)

goru
October 4, 2007, 06:04 PM
Well, it's not like we (Bangalis) were ever big on privacy... I don't think anyone will fight this.

Kabir
October 4, 2007, 07:24 PM
One of the problems with the web is, anything and everything can be disseminated without any proof of the source of information.

Even if this news item is true, I can't be less bothered about it anyway. The reasons:

1. The reason goru gave...were we ever so big on privacy? I mean, come on.
2. BD's not in a state where they can do anything with the data they will gather from ISPs. Hundreds of thousands of people, little computing resources, and just about nothing specific that they're looking for.
3. All they can possibly be targeting is some wealthy individuals who they want to know more about. Tapping their phone certainly doesn't give the govt enough information, and cell phone tracking is impossible in BD (I wish we had those pre-paid lines in Canada). This could possibly be used to track the information being transferred to and from the homes and offices of some of the wealthy in Bangladesh.

Be rest assured, your credit cards and MSN accounts will be safe.

akabir77
October 5, 2007, 10:10 AM
hey if bush can do it so can CG

Tigers_eye
October 5, 2007, 10:17 AM
...It instructed and advised 72 ISPs in Dhaka, Chittagong and Sylhet:
To provide BTRC with details of bandwidth lease and usage.
To provide details of “corporate/dedicated/shared” clients: Name, address, IP.
To provide copies of technical agreements with connectivity providers.
To reveal individual client MRTG URL with user id and password.

Nasif,
Focus on this and you will find the reason. They are obviously looking at the contracts. The user id and password is nothing. I subpoena records all the time. I always ask for everything they got. Most of the time half of the information does not pertain to what i am looking for and would never even look at it. This is how one investigates fraud, abuse, neglect etc. Not giving the criminal or suspect any information on what I am really looking/investigating so that they may falsify documents.

Don't be alarmed :).

Fazal
October 5, 2007, 10:52 AM
Nasif,
I subpoena records all the time. I always ask for everything they got. Most of the time half of the information does not pertain to what i am looking for and would never even look at it. This is how one investigates fraud, abuse, neglect etc.

Don't be alarmed :).

Tiger Bhaiyaaa Who are you? Who are your victims ?

Looks like you may be the more valid reason for alarm then. :-D

comming back to real issue. I think there is a case of mis-information. CG was merely monitoring fishing net ... not internet. Here is the evidence.....

http://www.wf.blog.is/img/tncache/250x250/ca/wf/img/c_documents_and_settings_administrator_my_document s_piks_pictures_new_folder_fishing_net.jpg

cricket_pagol
October 5, 2007, 11:09 AM
I would be really disappointed if bloggers get arrested for they post on the net. So far that has not happened.

It seems the motivation behind this drive is to track down on illegal VOIP, but they are making a fool out of them selves by visiting house to house without adequate information! They definitely need the expertise of Tigers_eye bhai...

Tigers_eye
October 5, 2007, 11:20 AM
Tiger Bhaiyaaa Who are? Who are your victims ?

Looks like you may be the more valid reason for alarm then. :-D

I am a mere chuna puti in front of distinguished Fed people like you. I think your subpoena powers out runs mine by miles. That's why most of the time I watch what I say around your posts.

I don't target innocent ones hope you would not target me either. :)

chinaman
October 5, 2007, 11:21 AM
Not sure if this is for select users or for all across the board. Anyway, info like that at good hands are probably ok but at bad hands, no, I don't wanna think about it.

If this is a part of putting a tab on high crimes, I think there is a gold mine out there to explore.

ammark
October 5, 2007, 12:04 PM
Double-edged sword this. If its a way of repressing bloggers and forum participants then its a really bad thing. This cannot be made into a precedent. Our elected governments are the ones I am afraid will use these repressive measures for their benefit.

Democracy has to enable freedom and liberty of speech, expression, exchange of ideas and participation. Repress this, and all of the CG's reform measures wont be worth squat!

Nocturnal
October 5, 2007, 04:03 PM
Double-edged sword this. If its a way of repressing bloggers and forum participants then its a really bad thing. This cannot be made into a precedent. Our elected governments are the ones I am afraid will use these repressive measures for their benefit.

Democracy has to enable freedom and liberty of speech, expression, exchange of ideas and participation. Repress this, and all of the CG's reform measures wont be worth squat!

ditto.

Alien
October 6, 2007, 10:23 AM
Even if CTG does monitor the internet I don' think its a big deal. Most countries I believe have done that, it's what they do after that that counts.

Rogue nations like North Korea, Burma and their big ally China(a rogue nation in my very own opinion) regularly abuse that power to suppress dissent.