PDA

View Full Version : Meet iRobo, the Bangladeshi scrapbot

goru
October 8, 2007, 05:15 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/08/meet-irobo-the-bangladeshi-scrapbot/

(check out the video)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/10/irobo.jpg

An enterprising graduate student from Bangladesh could be possibly pulling the rug out from under the robotics community with a pet-project he's been working on. According to reports, Feroz Ahmed Siddique of the International Islamic University in Chittagong says he's created a bot that -- when complete -- will pick up objects, mop floors, and perform other simple tasks. The robot, un-creatively named "IRobo" supposedly responds to voice commands, has spatial intelligence, and was made from scrap parts found at electronic and auto shops. "On completion, this robot will comply with different verbal commands for tasks like shifting objects, cleaning floors and standing guard," Siddique says, adding, "I hope people will be able to buy it for less than $1,000." Apparently, the student of engineering has been working on the robot for two years, and is already in talks with an Australian software company about production. Sure, it seems to just be a giant RC car, but soon we may all be getting our floors mopped by the IRobo... hopefully they'll get him a new helmet first. Check the video after the break to see your new robotic friend in action.

I'm loving the comments on engadget... :floor:

AsifTheManRahman
October 9, 2007, 12:10 AM
Nicety. Mankind takes another step towards ultimate laziness.

Antora
October 9, 2007, 02:47 AM
omg finally! a robot created by a bangladeshi!!!! woot woot!

Omio
October 9, 2007, 04:57 AM
What langauge this Robot going to use?
Noakhalilla or Shyleti.

If Noakhilla-- [বাংলা]আরে চারজ দে, হয়ালে দে,আই মরি গেলাম।[/বাংলা]
Shyletti-[বাংলা]কিতা মাতো, মুরে চারজ দে,[/বাংলা]

Cricket Crazy
October 9, 2007, 05:28 AM
Move over Japan? A Bangladeshi graduate student is developing a robot capable of picking up objects, mopping floors and performing other simple tasks -- at the fraction of the cost of other humanoids.
Feroz Ahmed Siddiky of the International Islamic University in Chittagong says his "IRobo" responds to voice commands, has spatial intelligence and is cheap because it's made from scrap materials he's collected from electronic shops and car mechanics.
"On completion, this robot will comply with different verbal commands for tasks like shifting objects, cleaning floors and standing guard," Siddiky told Reuters.
"It can also be used for some risky jobs like in coal mines, where workers commonly suffer many accidents."
Siddiky has been working on the robot for two years and says he has got another year's worth of engineering to do before its completed. He said he is currently discussing commercial production of the robot with an Australian software firm.
"I hope people will be able to buy it for less than $1,000," he added.
Cyber-crazy Japan is hooked on androids with several companies selling robots that mimic human action for medical and cleaning purposes, as well as entertainment.
:flag:

cricket_king
October 9, 2007, 05:47 AM
Scrap metal? Car mechanics? We have car mechanics? :wow:

cricket_king
October 9, 2007, 05:54 AM
Wow.....congrats to the young man. :)

Miraz
October 9, 2007, 05:56 AM
Great to know a fellow countrymen is making innovations like this and making us proud.

Take a bow young man!

cricket_dorshok
October 9, 2007, 06:16 AM
Congrats to the innovative man.

Mohiul
October 9, 2007, 06:18 AM
WOW!! robot made by our fellow countryman

Hatebreed
October 9, 2007, 06:43 AM
That's pretty cool, well done Feroz. The fact he created this from scrap parts makes it pretty special. I hope he can strike a deal to manufacture it using better parts and a more compact design, so it can do those things faster. Ideally the next step should be to make the robot climb stairs and go over small obstacles.

Sohel
October 9, 2007, 02:24 PM
That's pretty cool, well done Feroz. The fact he created this from scrap parts makes it pretty special. I hope he can strike a deal to manufacture it using better parts and a more compact design, so it can do those things faster. Ideally the next step should be to make the robot climb stairs and go over small obstacles.

Spot on ... but I gotta say, that's one trippy lookin' bot. Just look at those eyes and imagine a 'malfunction' in the middle of the night while you're asleep ...

akabir77
October 9, 2007, 03:37 PM
agey kam koruk tarpor ato lafa lafi... voice command dilo ghor mustey r robot mea anlo cha tailey to r hobey na...

goru
October 9, 2007, 03:40 PM
I work a lot of with speech recognition in software, and I wonder if he actually used a speech recognition engine (I don't know if there is one for Bangla?), or if he's just looking for some predefined wave patterns...

Hatebreed
October 9, 2007, 04:03 PM
but I gotta say, that's one trippy lookin' bot. Just look at those eyes and imagine a 'malfunction' in the middle of the night while you're asleep ...

LOL agreed. :-D

AsifTheManRahman
October 9, 2007, 04:04 PM
Well using speech recognition would be ideal; even if he's not using it currently for lack of resources, I'm sure it won't be a problem once he gets a sponsor.

Nocturnal
October 9, 2007, 05:04 PM
Spot on ... but I gotta say, that's one trippy lookin' bot. Just look at those eyes and imagine a 'malfunction' in the middle of the night while you're asleep ...

:floor::floor:

Farhad
October 9, 2007, 05:37 PM
Pretty impressive...The bots way too slow though, and all i saw it do is drop a can into a bin, im not too sure about it "cleaning floors" and "standing guard" (unless hes used as a wall :-p). Nevertheless, a BD bot is always a cause for celebration...

Nafis_BD
October 9, 2007, 06:38 PM
Wow congrats to the inventor. The robot's appearance needs to change as he looks pretty creepy with those big eyes. Good thing that a Bangladeshi guy finally makes a robot but as Farhad bhaiya said, the robot is too slow and I am not sure if he would be able to do all the jobs!!

AsifTheManRahman
October 9, 2007, 09:27 PM
Who tagged India on that video? Where does India come in here?

ialbd
October 9, 2007, 09:29 PM
well done fellow countryman.....

Hatebreed
October 9, 2007, 09:50 PM
Who tagged India on that video? Where does India come in here?

Probably to make people like this guy (http://www.blogsmith.com/profile/1430693/) happy. :waiting:

Nasif
October 24, 2007, 01:22 PM
This is from one of my friend's email, had a good laugh. Wanted to add it here:

So I guess this is where it all started...the BD ppl
who usually mistreat their servants, will mistreat the
slave robots and then then robots will fight back and
take over...and the MATRIX will begin...

hahaha... :)