PDA

View Full Version : Palm Islands

Nafis_BD
October 17, 2007, 09:23 PM
I did a Google search for my school project and I found this .

Check It Out (http://guide.theemiratesnetwork.com/living/dubai/the_palm_islands.php)

Three man-made palm shaped islands being made on the coasts of Dubai. This is pretty amazing but also pretty foolish.

Bancan
October 17, 2007, 09:29 PM

Check It Out (http://guide.theemiratesnetwork.com/living/dubai/the_palm_islands.php)

Three man-made palm shaped islands being made on the coasts of Dubai. This is pretty amazing but also pretty foolish.

Why?

Nafis_BD
October 17, 2007, 09:34 PM
Well they could have used that money to improve their country. Also think about natural disasters. God forbid but one tsunami around that place and the islands are gone!!

Bancan
October 17, 2007, 09:48 PM
Well they could have used that money to improve their country. Also think about natural disasters. God forbid but one tsunami around that place and the islands are gone!!

AFAIK Dubai is probably the last place that needs improvement. I might be wrong though.

Nafis_BD
October 17, 2007, 09:52 PM
One of my friend is from Dubai and he said that even though Dubai is improved a lot, it still could use some more improvement. I am also thinking about the natural disasters.

ialbd
October 17, 2007, 11:12 PM
Compelled me to watch this documentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcxotPuE0V0&mode=related&search=

the 8th wonder indeed.....

Banglatiger84
October 18, 2007, 02:38 AM
AFAIK Dubai is probably the last place that needs improvement. I might be wrong though.

Yea right, blatant racism, 2 month jail sentences for well connected rapists, with 4 years for possessing painkillers allowed in UK but not in Dubai, house rents that are more than the average annual salary, .....thats just the start

ialbd
October 18, 2007, 10:59 AM
....blatant racism....

I came to know so many new things about ppl when I came to Canada, which I had absolutely no clue abt in Bangladesh.

Racism isnt an issue here in Canada (read Ontario) and unfortunately the little racism that I saw around was by Arabs (I wasnt the victim though)......

all my desi friends here from the middle east mentioned this at some point or the other.....

Kabir
October 18, 2007, 11:09 AM
Racism isnt an issue here in Canada (read Ontario) and unfortunately the little racism that I saw around was by Arabs (I wasnt the victim though)......

Lets break it down into two.

Racism in Ontario/Canada was an uncontrolled issue until even 30 years ago. That all changed with the rush of new immigrats, and now in GTA, you can hardly see open racist remarks. If you're not sure about what I'm talking about, watch a couple of Russel Peters show. He was a victim of that, and was even hospitalized once.

The second question in hand is, the Arabs being racists. And to be honest with you, none of us have seen anything if we haven't been to the Middle East and see how they treat brown people. The worst victims are the laborers, who are not given ANYTHING, have no rights, and work in the worst conditions possible.

We can also have a third aspect to it. In Canada, Arabs aren't racists. We're better off calling them "naak ucha".

Farhad
October 18, 2007, 12:16 PM

Nafis, bro, youve got to start following the news more often. Even americans knew about this 2-3 years ago, and let me tell you, theyre not the most geographically enlightened people. Dont let the fact that youre young keep you from learning more about the world...

Mohiul
October 18, 2007, 12:24 PM
You gotta learn it timely, bro Nafis_BD

Kabir
October 18, 2007, 12:38 PM
I don't see a problem in not knowing things. I myself wasn't aware of these islands until Nafis brought it up.

Yes, there's no end to learning. But there's not a minimum general knowledge level either :)

Nafis_BD
October 18, 2007, 02:54 PM
Sadly I didn't get my assignment earlier so that I would have found and shared this with you guys earlier and I didn't look at it's date either. I was searching the web and found this interesting so I thought I would share it with you guys but if I shouldn't have done that then I am sorry.

Sigh.... If only I had found it earlier.:(

Bancan
October 18, 2007, 09:18 PM
Yea right, blatant racism, 2 month jail sentences for well connected rapists, with 4 years for possessing painkillers allowed in UK but not in Dubai, house rents that are more than the average annual salary, .....thats just the start

I guess I am wrong.

I saw a article today in a local newspaper. It was about Dubai. The writer described Dubai as "Dubai is booming but for the traveler who craves culture, the city is bust. With fakes theme parks and fake islands, I'm left wondering if theres anything real in this city of artifice."

shaad
October 20, 2007, 07:09 PM
I think the discussion so far has avoided the question of why they are building this. Basically, it's because they expect to run out of oil around 2016, at which point, if they don't have anything else, their economy will plummet. Their Crown Prince is trying to prevent this by turning Dubai into a global tourism hot-spot. They have excellent beaches, but not much of it. This man-made island is being built to increase their beachfront area and thus lure in more tourists.

I will admit that it's a bit of a risky venture. Since we have already reached or are going to reach global peak oil by the 2030s, which is likely to result in a global economic downturn, if not outright recession, I wonder how effective tourism will prove as a revenue-generating device.