PDA

View Full Version : Blast nearly kills Bhutto. 127 dead.

Alien
October 18, 2007, 08:27 PM
Just saw the news in google. The bomb went off just feet from her vehicle but she survived. It happened just after she arrived in Pakistan from exile.

Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/18/world/asia/18cnd-pakistan.html?em&ex=1192852800&en=0e911058183abb8c&ei=5087%0A)

al Furqaan
October 18, 2007, 08:31 PM
perhaps now she will go back to wherever she came from and take khaleda and hasina with her...

Alien
October 18, 2007, 09:43 PM
perhaps now she will go back to wherever she came from and take khaleda and hasina with her...

Haha. I was thinking along those lines.

al Furqaan
October 18, 2007, 10:00 PM
so it appears that bhutto arriving to rape pakistan again is more valuable than the 127 innocent people killed in order to achieve this majestic second coming...

ialbd
October 18, 2007, 10:05 PM
praying for the departed souls...... no further comment (big sigh.....)

AsifTheManRahman
October 18, 2007, 10:21 PM
Loss of innocent civilian lives is always disturbing; 127 is a large number too.

Alien
October 18, 2007, 10:42 PM
What's more disturbing is that a country as unstable as Pakistan is in possession of nuclear weapons.

Nocturnal
October 18, 2007, 10:44 PM
Simply terrible :(

Kabir
October 19, 2007, 12:50 AM
Just can't believe this. 127 innocent lives...over some stupid corrupt b****.

Truly, this is extremism.

Hope the departed ones rest in peace.

Sohel
October 19, 2007, 01:22 AM
My prayers are with all those victimized by this evil act.

That said, I continue to be thankful about 1971, the wisdom of Bangladeshi people who continue to decisively reject sectarianism at the polls, and RAB as well as our Armed Forces who continue to give those evil hatemongers exactly what they deserve. The chaotic sectarianism, the subsequent violence and dictarorial politics of Pakistan is where they came from, and that's where they can find a home again. They never supported the creation of Bangladesh anyway.

Sohel
October 19, 2007, 01:26 AM

so it appears that bhutto arriving to rape pakistan again is more valuable than the 127 innocent people killed in order to achieve this majestic second coming...

Spot on my brother Asaad ... :big_hug:

tonoy
October 19, 2007, 02:08 AM
oh god, she just had to come back... I mean come on! Sad day for politics.

zahid
October 19, 2007, 04:13 AM
Mushrraf doesn't want to leave.... hmmm

Pakistan did democracy or it will become another Burma.

Mohiul
October 19, 2007, 04:18 AM
When we gonna go against these type of brutal cowardish activities loudly & together as a united muslim world?

Rabz
October 19, 2007, 08:03 AM
God save the departed souls.
Dirty politics at its best.
Dont want to go into too much details, but im sure its been done by Bhutto's party itself.
Now they have a stronger case to fight for democracy(!).
Symphathy of emotional illeterates that is us subcontinentals.
She needed to arrive with a bang, and bang it was. The whole world is watching.
And offcourse, she couldnt let those bloods of innocents go in vein.(!!)
( Ei rokto amra britha jete dite parina)

BS. Let the whole paki burn in hell, for i couldnt care less.

Alien
October 19, 2007, 08:31 AM
As I see more of this kind of news, I thank God that we broke away from that country in 71.

Alien
October 19, 2007, 08:37 AM
Seeing the posts above, it's needless convince anyone that Bhutto is the culprit as much as she "might" have been a victim. Before she arrived, she was given the choice of helicopter to deter a possible strike by Al-Qaeda or Taliban loyalists. She rejected that because "she wasn't scared". Well ofcourse she wasn't, her convoy is surrounded by 150, 000 or so people and her vehicle is bullet/bomb proof. Any attack will only hurt the people.

In a country like Pakistan where bombs go off more than anywhere in the world (only to be beaten by Afghanistan and Iraq), she should have had the common sense (if she cared in first place) that if she chose ahead with the parade, she would have endangered hundreds of thousands of her very own supporters.

Its not a difficult math to work out especially when you are forewarned.

When we gonna go against these type of brutal cowardish activities loudly & together as a united muslim world?

We won't. Let's get back to reality, as we are inching towards Judgement Day, whatever has been predicted by the Quran and our Prophet (Pbuh) is coming to reality. You know what they are and nothing we do can change things.

Tigers_eye
October 19, 2007, 08:40 AM
Not in my life time for sure.

may the souls rest in peace.

Alien
October 19, 2007, 08:48 AM
This is interesting. Take a look at the stuff highlighted in bold.

Benazir Bhutto described today how she had received a warning just half an hour before last night's devastating attack on her homecoming procession that a suicide bomber would target the truck in which she was travelling.

More than 130 people were killed in two blasts that rocked Ms Bhutto's motorcade as it edged through hundreds of thousands of well-wishers in Karachi who had stayed up late into the night to welcome her back to Pakistan after eight years of self-imposed exile.

In an interview with a French magazine only a few hours after the bombing, the former premier said that many of them were young policemen sent in to block the path of a suicide bomber after last night's warning was received by police and passed on to her entourage by the intelligence services.

But she nevertheless accused high-ranking members of Pakistan's intelligence services of being behind the attack, arguing that Islamic militants could not mount such a sophisticated attack "from a mountain cave".

Ms Bhutto, 54, has pledged to carry on with her political comeback and contest parliamentary elections in January at the head of her Pakistan People's Party, saying that her attackers "did not manage to decapitate the democracy movement".

Police said today that they had found the severed head of the bomber, a man of around 20 who had been carrying some 20kg of explosives, and were trying to identify him. The Interior Ministry said that the first blast had been caused by a hand grenade - although some of Ms Bhutto's supporters insisted that there had been a car bomb.

Ms Bhutto, uninjured, was whisked away to Bilawal House, her family residence in the port city, as her supporters fled in panic after the midnight attack.

There was no claim of responsibility. Police were investigating whether the bomb had links to tribal regions bordering Afghanistan which have become hotbeds of support for al-Qaeda and the Taleban. Militants linked to al-Qaeda, angered by Ms Bhutto's pledge to hunt down Osama bin Laden, had threatened to assassinate her only a few days ago.

In an interview with Paris Match in her Karachi residence, Ms Bhutto said: "The Talebs and the Islamists extremists cannot act alone. They can't commit their suicide attacks from a mountain cave. They need logistics, food, weapons and someone to supervise them."

She told the magazine that she knew "exactly" who wanted to kill her – former officials from the regime of the late General Muhammad Zia ul-Haq, who overthrew her father 30 years ago and oversaw the trial which ended in his execution.

"We should purge these elements still present in our secret services," she said. "Many of them took retirement but have been re-hired. Today they have a lot of power and I represent a danger to them: if I bring back democracy to the country, they will lose their influence."

Ms Bhutto rejected a suggestion that she might be held responsible for the attacks, given warnings from the government of General Pervez Musharraf that she would be a target for suicide bombers.
Link to this news (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article2694292.ece)

If she at least can't say sorry for what her welcome parade as caused, she should have had the decency to stay low. If terrorist can hijack 4 airliner and crash 2 of them into WTC and 1 into the Pentagon from "mountain cave" then how hard is hitting her convoy?

HereWeGo
October 19, 2007, 03:04 PM
The Irony is that even after thanking God and all the souls that contribued to make Bangladesh free from the evil grips of Pakistan we shall still continue( and mark my words) to vote Rajakars and make them the member of Parliament. How hard is it to figure out about who created the likes of Bangla Bhai? U talk about the death tolls. Trust me brothers as long as we don repair the pillar called secularism on Which bangladesh was initially based we might as well be ready to count 10 times more the number of dead bodies in near future. Pls help free Bangladesh from the likes of Mujaheeds and Nizamis.

Pundit
October 19, 2007, 04:32 PM
This kind of an event will always lead to a thread like this, which will also bring in people like HereWeGo.

I'm not sure why we need to get so worked up with what just happened. Let them crap on themselves and live happily ever after. We are not talking about our country here.

Pundit
October 19, 2007, 04:40 PM
There are 3 legs to the stool here - the "religious" and yet murderous fanatics, the "erudite" and yet communist fags, and the "westernized" but amazingly corrupt despots.

Just sit on that tool and crush them all - better still, puke on all of them.

When all three legs are broken, that's when the "disciplined" and yet diabolically tyrant military comes in.

Umm...all this some the situation into one thing: a 3rd world country...decimated by centuries of colonialism, and then raped by 50 years of cold war. What do you all expect.

Instead of expressing so much shock, why don't you all try harder to be a better and caring individual? Oh, I just realized, most of you are still students - all this sounds just too tempting to resist a discussion.

HereWeGo
October 19, 2007, 05:44 PM
Since you are such a great pundit than y don u try to point out whats wrong with my logic instead of a personal bash. Such a thread shows up and we comment on it because it helps to give us warning on wat to expect in bangladesh in near future.
I love my country and I feel disgusted to see war criminals reperesenting us at the parliament. If U got a problem with that!....trust me i cudnt care less. U call urself a pundit but i am sorry to say that u are really ignorant.

Alien
October 19, 2007, 06:52 PM
OMG...do you have to come back?

HereWeGo
October 19, 2007, 08:09 PM
OMG u had to show up...

nsd3
October 20, 2007, 06:42 AM
May the desire to promote self not take us beyond the issue we need to focus on.

Alien
October 20, 2007, 06:53 AM
OMG u had to show up...

Been here before your balls dropped down kiddo.

HereWeGo
October 20, 2007, 10:33 AM
The best u can do is ridicule me.....But u guys cant still say a thing opposing my views. The only thing i ask( or beg) from u guys is to protest against the fact that the millitatants are representing us in parliament. If u guys do want to be ignorant of that fact it is upto you...i will keep on shouting.....

Alien
October 20, 2007, 10:41 AM
At the moment CTG is running the show and I am sure they got something planned to prevent Rajakars from taking part in politics.

In Bangladesh every politicians is evil, Rajakar or not.

Sohel
October 20, 2007, 10:49 AM
At the moment CTG is running the show and I am sure they got something planned to prevent Rajakars from taking part in politics.

Spot on when it comes to every 'traditional' politician from the business of politics ... :up:

Down with BAL/BNP/JIB/BJP and all of their chamchas and allies ... :down:

HereWeGo
October 20, 2007, 11:34 AM

Hope u r right about the first part of your comment. I wish u were wrong about the second part but i guess thats the sad part.

Special 1
October 20, 2007, 12:00 PM
It has almost been a year since the CTg has come to power. Still no signs of anything against jamaat. Now with the whole thing with the truth commision means that nothing is gonna happen to them.

Pak_rox
October 20, 2007, 12:22 PM
that is soo sad , im feeling really sorry for the relatives of these ppls
the czn of my friend also died there

Nocturnal
October 20, 2007, 03:06 PM
Police release photo of Karachi bomber

KARACHI, Oct 20 (bdnews24.com/Reuters) - Pakistani police released a photograph on Saturday of a suicide bomber who killed at least 139 people, as opposition leader Benazir Bhutto worked out her next step after the bloody start to her comeback campaign.

The militant threat demonstrated to such devastating effect in Karachi on Friday raised fears over the prospects for a national election due in early January that is supposed to mark a transition from military-led to civilian-led democracy.

Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz said the general election would not be affected but government officials had indicated that campaigning could be restricted because of security worries.

Newspapers carried photographs of the head of the suicide bomber propped on a white sheet. The dead eyes stared blankly out of a chubby, unshaven face.

"The age of the suspect is between 20 to 25 and he looks to be a Karachiite," said a security official, who declined to be identified. Full Read (http://www.bdnews24.com/details.php?cid=1&id=25395)

Sohel
October 22, 2007, 12:13 PM
Pakistani fallout after Karachi blasts - 20 Oct 07

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9r7rck5nRr4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9r7rck5nRr4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Kabir
October 22, 2007, 01:18 PM
What I found disturbing was the way this journalist read the news.

Sohel
October 22, 2007, 01:54 PM
What I found disturbing was the way this journalist read the news.

Good observation K. Kamal Hyder is known for the utter lack of emotion in his subsequently mechanical delivery, no matter what the news is. The fact that he sounds like someone talking with a mouth full of hot potato bits just adds to that.

Ganguly da
October 22, 2007, 09:27 PM
I wonder who agreed to kill so many ppl and in turn kill himself as well in order to target a leader regardless of a cause. Who's brainwashing these people?

sandpiper
November 3, 2007, 10:48 AM
source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7076670.stm
Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf has declared emergency rule and suspended the country's constitution.

Troops have been deployed inside state-run TV and radio stations, while independent channels have gone off air.

Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry, who condemned the moves, has reportedly been sacked and is being confined to the Supreme Court with 10 other judges.

Sohel
November 3, 2007, 02:02 PM
Saved again by 12161971 or 16121971 ... phew !

Emergency imposed in Pakistan

General Pervez Musharraf, Pakistan's president, has imposed emergency rule in the country.

State-run television reported on Saturday that the country's constitution has been suspended.

Shortly afterwards, Iftikhar Chaudhry, the supreme court chief justice, was told his "services were no longer required" and replaced by a new chief judge.

Musharraf is to address the nation later on Saturday, a presidential aide said.

The decision to impose emergency on Saturday came after an extraordinary meeting chaired by Musharraf which was attended by senior government and security officials.

Crackdown

Pakistan Television said General Musharraf, who is also chief of army staff, had issued a provisional constitutional order declaring emergency.

Justice Chaudhry and eight other judges of the supreme court refused to endorse the provisional constitutional order issued by the president, but Musharraf's government rejected the ruling.

Chaudhry, on being replaced, has been placed under house arrest.

Private Geo TV said the president of the supreme court bar association has been arrested. There have been several other arrests across the country.

Several Pakistani television channels earlier reported the move to impose emergency, before being taken off the air.

Witnesses said paramilitary troops had been deployed at state-run television and radio stations.

They also reported seeing dozens of police blocking the road leading to the supreme court where judges remain inside.

Residents said all telephone lines have been cut in the capital Islamabad.

Curbs have been imposed on the media and cable TVs taken off the air.

Nawaz Sharif, a former prime minister who is currently in exile in Saudi Arabia, said Pakistan was heading towards anarchy and described Musharraf's decision to invoke emergency as worse than martial law.

Speaking to Al Jazeera from Jeddah, Sharif said the imposition of emergency was unprecedented and that it was done by Musharraf to pre-empt a possible adverse supreme court ruling on his eligibility to be re-elected as president.

The ruling was expected in a matter of days.

Benazir Bhutto, another prime minister, has returned to the country from Dubai where she had gone to visit her family.

"She left Dubai and I spoke to her on the phone and she said the plane was taxiing at Karachi airport," Wajid Shamsul Hassan, an aide to the leader of the Pakistan Peoples' Party (PPP) said.

'Black Day'

Kamal Hyder, reporting for Al Jazeera from Islamabad, said the imposition of emergency rule would dismay Pakistanis.

"There will be a sense of gloom tonight across Pakistan. People will not be happy because they were looking forward to a smooth transition towards democracy," he said.

"Instead what they will see is more draconian measures from a government which is losing support among ordinary people and the legal fraternity."

Amjad Malik, member of the Supreme Court Bar association, told Al Jazeera that the imposition of emergency showed Musharraf's desperation to hold on to power.

"I think this shows how General Musharraf is willing to extend his rule. Since the military coup [in 1999] he has tried to intimidate the judiciary.

"He has now resorted to emergency which will mean human rights will be suspended and there will be further attempts to intimidate the judiciary. I think it is another black day for Pakistan."

The development comes amid increasing violence across Pakistan by pro-Taliban and al-Qaeda-linked fighters and growing political uncertainty over Musharraf's continued rule.

Large sections of Pakistani society, including lawyers, are opposed to Musharraf's rule and want him to step down.

His recent re-election has also been challenged in the supreme court.

Emergency rule could lead to the postponement of national elections, which are scheduled to take place in January.

Condoleezza Rice, the US secretary of state, called Musharraf's decision to declare a state of emergency "very regrettable".

David Miliband, the British foreign secretary, also expressed grave concerns over the developments in Pakistan.

"It is vital that the governance acts in accordance with the constitution and abides by the commitment to hold free and fair elections on schedule," he said.

FROM AL JAZEERA (http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/8D370CD6-A376-4EB6-A829-DFC8E037CB16.htm)