PDA

View Full Version : Street Romeo In Dhaka

Murad
October 19, 2007, 02:25 PM
Amader Shomoy (http://www.amadershomoy.com/news.php?id=206244&sys=1)
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m158/saregama123/streetromeo.jpg

This is a funny news and also a shocking one. I could post it in some threads but thought it would be better to open a new thread so most people can read it.

Why are the police in Bangladesh so stupid? Why aren't they taking any actions against those loafers? And why are those loafers doing this type of things? Don't they have a mother & sisters? Don't they respect them? I don't think they do. Cause if they do then the wouldn't do such things like this.

It's very frustrating to see things like this happening in a muslim country. There are many other things being done by those loafers. I think we need a Islamic Government to stop these things...:D What do you think?

What is your view on this issue?

Kabir
October 19, 2007, 04:31 PM
Don't they have a mother & sisters?

What do mothers and sisters have to do with street lovers? Bujhlam na, bujhay bolen bhai.

It's very frustrating to see things like this happening in a muslim country.

Naah bhai, it's secular. Muslim country te eishob hoy na...oikhane er theke aro beshi joghonno kaaj karbar hoy. Dekhen na? Pakistan e naki manush riti moto hata hati kore rasta ghatey chance pailei...arr Middle East er kotha nahoy nai ba bollam.

layperson
October 19, 2007, 04:49 PM
I dont know if there is any law for eve teasing but if there is then the police need to enforce it strictly near school campuses and if there isnt then the government should pass a law like this. There should be strict punishment for offenders so that they refrain from doing things like this. Just shows how pathetic some people can be. In the meantime the regular people like us should also do our bit and instead of getting scared of these losers we should protest if we see anything like this happening on the streets.

Hatebreed
October 19, 2007, 05:22 PM
It's not teasing, it's called public and sexual harassment and there should be some law against it. If the police don't take any action then parents should file a complaint with RAB.

Also, I don't understand why they are being labelled street "romeo". More like street perverts.

ialbd
October 19, 2007, 07:00 PM
eto bekar bangladeshe.... ekta murgir farm korleo to desher kisu unnoti hoito....

this was all around dhaka for a while (atleast in Dhanmondi, where I grew up) and I can only assume it got worse. What a sad life they have......

Rubu
October 19, 2007, 07:59 PM
Don't they have a mother & sisters?Not to hurt anyone's feeling, but here is the classic answer to the classic question

mother is for father and sister is for brother in law, who is for me?

Murad
October 19, 2007, 08:56 PM
What do mothers and sisters have to do with street lovers? Bujhlam na, bujhay bolen bhai.

haha.. I forgot to add another line after the question. I meant to say if they have a mother and sisters and if they respect them then they wouldn't do such things.

Naah bhai, it's secular. Muslim country te eishob hoy na...oikhane er theke aro beshi joghonno kaaj karbar hoy. Dekhen na? Pakistan e naki manush riti moto hata hati kore rasta ghatey chance pailei...arr Middle East er kotha nahoy nai ba bollam.

Yeah I know that. thats why i said its frustrating to see things like this happening in muslim country. I didn't say only in Bangladesh.

Not to hurt anyone's feeling, but here is the classic answer to the classic question

mother is for father and sister is for sister in law, who is for me?

lolz.. That's what these perverts thinks.. BTW you meant to say brother in law?

Sohel
October 20, 2007, 02:18 AM
It's not teasing, it's called public and sexual harassment and there should be some law against it. If the police don't take any action then parents should file a complaint with RAB.

Also, I don't understand why they are being labelled street "romeo". More like street perverts.

Perfectly put ... :up:

দশ-বারোটা থাপ্পড় মাইরা দাঁত কয়েকটা ফালায়া দ্যাওন দরকার ...

ammark
October 20, 2007, 03:28 AM
Well, I took my two cousins out for ice-cream last night, and we couldnt help but discuss how pathetic this crowd of "romeo's" attempts were at trying to court their (my 2 cousins') attention. It could well turn to teasing and harassment, but thankfully they restrained themselves to just being a nuisance.

Sohel
October 20, 2007, 03:30 AM
Well, I took my two cousins out for ice-cream last night, and we couldnt help but discuss how pathetic this crowd of "romeo's" attempts were at trying to court their (my 2 cousins') attention. It could well turn to teasing and harassment, but thankfully they restrained themselves to just being a nuisance.

Movenpick G2, or Club Gelato, Banani ?

ammark
October 20, 2007, 03:37 AM
Movenpick G2, or Club Gelato, Banani ?

Movenpick G2. At 8pm. Worst crowd. They dont have Framboise or Straciatella anymore, and the servers have started wearing skin tight t-shirts. I'm never going back there before 10:30pm anymore! Midnight hour's the best ambience and crowd.

Club G always has a pleasant crowd, but then its wayyy too close to my house to consider "going out" for ice cream

Alien
October 20, 2007, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I am not fond of these street romeos, especially the rich anglophile ones. Would love to club one like the seals.

ammark
October 20, 2007, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I am not fond of these street romeos, especially the rich anglophile ones. Would love to club one like the seals.

You'd be surprised how Movenpick was devoid of rich anglophiles for some reason. Very crude language and behaviour from the crowd yesterday.

shaad
October 20, 2007, 06:52 PM
While there are some laws against eve-teasing in our judicial code, they are weak and not effectively enforced. Attempts to enact stronger laws were also effectively stymied in 2003 (see this Daily Star report (http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=5952)).

We need to enact stronger laws, enforce them effectively (given that the BD police has recently been trying to portray themselves as actually caring about citizens' concerns, this issue should be taken up with them), and get rid of nonsensical, paternalistic, pseudo-romantic terms like "eve-teasing" and call this despicable act what it is: sexual harassment.

Murad
October 20, 2007, 06:57 PM
romeos must die!

BanCricFan
October 20, 2007, 07:19 PM
A dignified death by the proper use of choppols?

Hatebreed
October 20, 2007, 07:32 PM
A dignified death by the proper use of choppols?

Dignified? No. Undignified? Yes. :-D

Alien
October 21, 2007, 12:13 AM
You'd be surprised how Movenpick was devoid of rich anglophiles for some reason. Very crude language and behaviour from the crowd yesterday.

Movenpick was there for ages, the Gulshan one. Back then (about 6 years ago) it was always infested by anglophiles but by mannered ones. These days they are like termites on every ice-cream parlour and fast food restaurants.

AsifTheManRahman
October 21, 2007, 01:08 AM
Why associate associate these boys with someone like Romeo? Sure, the guy was a sore loser, but at least he had guts.

BD-Shardul
October 21, 2007, 03:29 AM
aarr Middle East er kotha nahoy nai ba bollam.

How do U know? I didn't see anything of that sort despite living in this region for more than a decade.

cricket_pagol
October 21, 2007, 03:53 AM

I agree with you. I think general public look away when a handful of kids create such nuisance. So along with enforcement of law, we all need to protest these actions if they occur in front of us.

zahid
October 21, 2007, 07:36 AM
How do U know? I didn't see anything of that sort despite living in this region for more than a decade.

I was thinking the same thing. I lived in Kuwait and was also in Saudi Arabia. Never saw such things.

zahid
October 21, 2007, 07:44 AM
I refer to these Romeos as Heroes.

Their trend is called Herogiri : Wearing bracelets, chains, lots of rings, earrings , pony-tails, skintight jeans and skintight t-shirts ( even though they are skinny ... lol ) , multicoloured and odd-coloured T-shirts , sunglasses ....etc.

Some people also refer to them as Bandors.

The solution?
- Simple. Parar kichu well-mannered and shu-vuddhiwala cheley ekshathey miley eder regularly shayesta kora uchit.

If a Romeo had done this to my sister or a female cousin or my gf, they would have got a thrashing of a Lifetime from me with a cricket bat.:karate:

Alien
October 21, 2007, 08:20 AM
Would someone take the trouble to translate the first post in English? Way too hardcore Bangla for me.

zahid
October 21, 2007, 08:32 AM
Would someone take the trouble to translate the first post in English? Way too hardcore Bangla for me.

Sohel bhai, do the honours please .

goru
October 21, 2007, 02:09 PM
My first attempt at translation in a long long time (like since Bangla O'Level exam in 1996):

----
Increasing presence/menace of "Street Romeos" in the capital, Parents feel helpless

School and college girls [literally "female students" though] feel insecure

Aminur Rahman Taj [reports]: The presence/menace of "street romeos" in the capital is constantly increasing. School and college girls are being harassed by them all the time. The parents of these girls are concerned/worried, just as much as the girls themselves are feeling insecure.

According to local sources, these street romeos can be found in almost all the schools and colleges in the city. There are more than 1,500 of these 16 to 25 year old romeos. Just when classes are about to start or end in these various institutions, these romeos arrive in groups and hang around the campus area or nearby shops/stores to harass the girls. They will often say obscene stuff or make rude gestures at the girls. They even do these things in front of the parents sometimes. Most parents don't even protest this behaviour out of fear of being disrespected themselves. Even the school and college authorities are doing nothing about this. As a result, the street romeos are getting more and more daring (?). Most of these street romeos wear western style clothes. They have a bracelet in their hand and an earring in one ear. There are complaints that the local police are not eager to take any legal action against them, even when they are behaving this way openly. As a result, a lot of people are getting used to the presence and behaviour of these romeos. [this part is a bit weird reading to me] The street romeos often keep lines of communication open with multiple girls. They are most friendly (?) with the girls whose parents don't care too much about this.

Despite the topic of street romeos being discussed several times in Dhaka Metropolitan Police Open-Day House recently, the police don't seem to have taken any really effective action. A school teacher in the city told us that the presence of these romeos has become even more intolerable. Saying something to them means bringing trouble upon yourself. In his opinion, something must be done about this. An authority in the Metropolitan police has claimed that there are laws for taking actions against these street romeos. Editor: Hasibul Faruk Chowdhury.
----

Sohel
October 21, 2007, 02:13 PM
romeos must die!

:lol: ... good one Murad ... :up:

This one's for you bro, great intro and extensive shots of my "other" home town ... :)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KmRc6t1hraw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KmRc6t1hraw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Ganguly da
October 22, 2007, 09:04 PM
Amader Shomoy (http://www.amadershomoy.com/news.php?id=206244&sys=1)
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m158/saregama123/streetromeo.jpg

This is a funny news and also a shocking one. I could post it in some threads but thought it would be better to open a new thread so most people can read it.

Why are the police in Bangladesh so stupid? Why aren't they taking any actions against those loafers? And why are those loafers doing this type of things? Don't they have a mother & sisters? Don't they respect them? I don't think they do. Cause if they do then the wouldn't do such things like this.

It's very frustrating to see things like this happening in a muslim country. There are many other things being done by those loafers. I think we need a Islamic Government to stop these things...:D What do you think?

What is your view on this issue?

are you suggesting "Islamic moral police" ? like the ones they have in Saudi?

Murad
October 22, 2007, 11:34 PM
are you suggesting "Islamic moral police" ? like the ones they have in Saudi?

I don't know much about the saudi police. i heard they are good though.

i was suggesting an islamic government, who will make islamic laws. islamic laws would be the useful ones in a muslim country. if we had islamic laws in bangladesh, we wouldnt have to see this much of corruptions, killings, etc. these laws are so strict and the right ones for all.

shaad
October 23, 2007, 07:35 AM
Sorry, Murad, I don't think we need an Islamic government or Islamic laws in Bangladesh (any more than we currently have). Other countries seem to function quite well without Islamic laws, and you seem to be not very well-informed of the degree of corruption/nepotism and extra-judicial arrests/incarcerations/executions that are prevalent in many of the Arab nations under so-called Islamic laws.

Also please do keep in mind that the Bangladeshi identity is not limited to Muslims only.

Appropriate (not necessarily Islamic) authoring and enforcement of laws against sexual harassment can take care of these "Street Romeos," but Islamic laws in say, Saudi Arabia or the UAE, haven't limited the sexual harassment of Filipino and South Asian maids in those countries.

Ganguly da
October 23, 2007, 11:43 PM

i was suggesting an islamic government, who will make islamic laws. islamic laws would be the useful ones in a muslim country. if we had islamic laws in bangladesh, we wouldnt have to see this much of corruptions, killings, etc. these laws are so strict and the right ones for all.

are you also suggesting that minorities in Bangladesh follow Islamic law?

on a side note: what do you think about Vested Property Act in BD.

ammark
October 24, 2007, 07:24 AM
on a side note: what do you think about Vested Property Act in BD.

If you are a politician or a man with no morals, its a gift. Most vested properties that are government property have been sold and resold at market prices by former Minister(s) and the money pocketed fully by themselves.

Supreme Court cases lodged and fought for by entities with no connection with the properties have had decisions awarding them the properties. The government in those cases could not retain the properties as per the law, as they had to abide by the Supreme Court decisions.

Thats the reality.

Sohel
October 24, 2007, 08:33 AM
If you are a politician or a man with no morals, its a gift. Most vested properties that are government property have been sold and resold at market prices by former Minister(s) and the money pocketed fully by themselves.

Supreme Court cases lodged and fought for by entities with no connection with the properties have had decisions awarding them the properties. The government in those cases could not retain the properties as per the law, as they had to abide by the Supreme Court decisions.

Thats the reality.

Sad but absolutely on target, yet "times they are a changing" ... :)

akabir77
October 24, 2007, 09:27 AM
Man need to start the teaser business back home. it will be instant hit... ops shouldn't have talked about my million dollar idea here...

Ganguly da
October 24, 2007, 09:33 PM

couldn't resist quoting you again.

Here is one statistic from Pakistan-- "islamic republic of pakistan"

Aurat Foundation statistic from 2005: on average 10 women are killed daily countrywide in honour crimes. Not only that, on average, two women are raped every hour in Pakistan. During 2005, close to 600 women committed suicide across Pakistan.

shaad
October 25, 2007, 06:03 AM

Aurat Foundation statistic from 2005: on average 10 women are killed daily countrywide in honour crimes. Not only that, on average, two women are raped every hour in Pakistan. During 2005, close to 600 women committed suicide across Pakistan.

Ganguly, when it comes to those rape statistics (and keeping in mind that every instance of rape is an obscene act), Pakistan seems to be doing much better than the USA. While the stats you quote have a woman being raped every 30 minutes in Pakistan, the Crime Clock (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/about/crime_clock.html) based on the Dept of Justice/FBI's Crime in the United States 2006 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/index.html) report has a forcible rape being committed in the USA every 5.7 minutes.

Tigers_eye
October 25, 2007, 08:30 AM
i see, bokhateypana has changed to romeoism? Era tho bhaloi chithi adan-prodan korey. maiya gularey agey pita dey.

I think the issue is mostly related to private schools around banani, gulshan (rich areas). We had never seen any such around Shaheen school. Pitaiye shidha koira cantonment'a pathai ditam jodi ashto. Amader school'er may'ra amder protection'a thankto.

shaad
October 25, 2007, 08:52 AM
T-E, amader shomoyeo chhilona; but from what I've heard it's now prevalent everywhere in Dhaka. And you're right, one of the problems is that we tend to use mild, almost neutral terms for it (e.g. romeos, eve-teasing) when we (and also the media) should label it what it is: sexual harassment.

nsd3
October 25, 2007, 09:08 AM
i see, bokhateypana has changed to romeoism? Era tho bhaloi chithi adan-prodan korey. maiya gularey agey pita dey.

I think the issue is mostly related to private schools around banani, gulshan (rich areas). We had never seen any such around Shaheen school. Pitaiye shidha koira cantonment'a pathai ditam jodi ashto. Amader school'er may'ra amder protection'a thankto.
TE Bhai, When did u pass from Shaheen School? Cuz I had friends there though I studied there till Class V only.

akabir77
October 25, 2007, 09:37 AM

do you have the stat for say Malaysia, UAE or Saudi Arabia or any middle east countries? Pakistan is not the only Muslim country or republic country in the world...

Kabir
October 25, 2007, 09:38 AM
TE Bhai, When did u pass from Shaheen School? Cuz I had friends there though I studied there till Class V only.

This will give away Mijan bhai's real age. From what I know, his age got stuck at 27. Er por naki age r barei nai!