PDA

View Full Version : Inside Story- Indian/Israeli collaboration

Sohel
October 22, 2007, 12:15 PM
From Al Jazeera, watch ...

Part 1

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VUNN4uEHLaQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VUNN4uEHLaQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Part 2

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uyVOBoBvLZo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uyVOBoBvLZo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Kabir
October 22, 2007, 01:46 PM
Power imbalance is definitely the major concern, and rightly so. India acquiring massive amounts of military technologies could mean bad news for even China.

This power imbalance could mean that we'll all be speaking Hindi in the next 20 years. Please don't argue with me about it, coz I know I'm right.

akabir77
October 22, 2007, 02:54 PM
CNN, FOX and BBC should learn how to interview...

Special 1
October 22, 2007, 03:09 PM
This power imbalance could mean that we'll all be speaking Hindi in the next 20 years. Please don't argue with me about it, coz I know I'm right.

hindi? y hindi?

Fazal
October 22, 2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks to Bollywood movies and Hindi serials, people already knows (understand) Hindi. Only thing left is to be able to read and speak Hindi fluently.

ialbd
October 22, 2007, 03:25 PM
arey kabir bhai, agey indiar shobai hindi bola start koruk tarpor amra....

didnt watch the videos yet, but will be the first thing when I get back home....

Kabir
October 22, 2007, 04:46 PM
hindi? y hindi?

Once again, why do we speak English today? Here are the reasons.

1. We've been ruled by the British for 200 years; since they've ruled most of the ruled, English had become a widely adopted language

My thoughts about it: In NA, many people are concerned about the language you speak. Just a few days ago akabir bhai was saying how he feels neglected or insulted when he goes to a desi store and someone starts talking to him in hindi/urdu. Why? Because in NA, if you're brow, you're apparently expected to know that language these days. I'm sure you've experienced it here too.

2. English is still the language that's being spoken, since there's a greater domination of the west over the rest of the world. No nation will survive without US/British trade.

My thoughts about it: Same happened in the sub-continent, and is gradually increasing. India being the technological superpower in SE-Asia, the other subcontinental nations won't be able to survive without their trade.

3. Hollywood's movies are being watched all around the world.

My thoughts about it: May be I don't have to say much about Bollywood movies, do I?

The current situation is ideal for India to be the next superpower, and impose you to speak their language. I remember, when I was in Bangladesh, I used to receive business calls for my dad which came from India. I found it very disturbing that they refused to speak in any other language other than hindi.

Ganguly da
October 22, 2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks to Bollywood movies and Hindi serials, people already knows (understand) Hindi. Only thing left is to be able to read and speak Hindi fluently.

don't worry bhaya...it's good to learn multiple langs.....but bangla is a great language and will always survive

Tehsin
October 22, 2007, 10:27 PM
On the flip side, knowing different language makes you a linguist. Bollywood does have some GREAT music.
If one sees nothing wrong with learning Spanish or ENGLISH, what's wrong with Hindi? Given the proximity/history/similarity, It's only a problem if you make it one.

Having said that, if someone walks up to you and has the nerve to speak any other language but BANGLA, just say - "Bhai, Banglai Bolen" and give them a blank stare. :)

Special 1
October 22, 2007, 11:29 PM
Once again, why do we speak English today? Here are the reasons.

1. We've been ruled by the British for 200 years; since they've ruled most of the ruled, English had become a widely adopted language

My thoughts about it: In NA, many people are concerned about the language you speak. Just a few days ago akabir bhai was saying how he feels neglected or insulted when he goes to a desi store and someone starts talking to him in hindi/urdu. Why? Because in NA, if you're brow, you're apparently expected to know that language these days. I'm sure you've experienced it here too.

2. English is still the language that's being spoken, since there's a greater domination of the west over the rest of the world. No nation will survive without US/British trade.

My thoughts about it: Same happened in the sub-continent, and is gradually increasing. India being the technological superpower in SE-Asia, the other subcontinental nations won't be able to survive without their trade.

3. Hollywood's movies are being watched all around the world.

My thoughts about it: May be I don't have to say much about Bollywood movies, do I?

The current situation is ideal for India to be the next superpower, and impose you to speak their language. I remember, when I was in Bangladesh, I used to receive business calls for my dad which came from India. I found it very disturbing that they refused to speak in any other language other than hindi.

i do get your point. but most south indians dont even know hindi. as far as i know they are the engine of this indian rennaisance. and India does have 2 official languages. hindi and english.

Kabir
October 23, 2007, 09:21 AM
On the flip side, knowing different language makes you a linguist. Bollywood does have some GREAT music.
If one sees nothing wrong with learning Spanish or ENGLISH, what's wrong with Hindi? Given the proximity/history/similarity, It's only a problem if you make it one.

Having said that, if someone walks up to you and has the nerve to speak any other language but BANGLA, just say - "Bhai, Banglai Bolen" and give them a blank stare. :)

Bhaijan, there's absolutely no problem in knowing different languages. In fact, many of us proudly tell our friends and colleagues that we can speak Bangla, English, Hindi, Urdu and all that. They find it amazing. However, the point is exactly what you're trying to make: what if someone comes and starts talking to you in their language while you're in a neutral location?

I personally don't have ANY problems talking to my friends or relatives in Urdu. In fact, it's something to feel proud about, that ha ha you losers, you can't speak my language but I'm smart enough to speak yours.

In business however, our preconceived notion of professionalism should remain, and people should communicate in a language that's neutral in most cases. But I suspect it won't happen when you're in trade with India. I hope I'm wrong :)

Kabir
October 23, 2007, 09:26 AM
i do get your point. but most south indians dont even know hindi. as far as i know they are the engine of this indian rennaisance. and India does have 2 official languages. hindi and english.

Bhaijan/apajan (which one's true? :)),
thanks for at least seeing the point. Yes, I agree with you also that the southern Indians are the ones who are stepping on the gas to accelerate the process. On the flip side of the coin, the rest of India don't speak the southern language either, do they? :)

I've been to both parts of India, and noticed that they completely rely on English when they go to a province where they don't speak the same language. But think of it this way. Do they have a similar attitude when they're speaking with a Bangladeshi? That's when they forget English, and continue with Hindi.

Sohel
October 23, 2007, 09:28 AM
Bhaijan/apajan (which one's true? :)),

"Apumoni" or in a few years - "Apuji" ?

Sovik
October 23, 2007, 09:33 AM
"Apumoni" or in a few years - "Apuji" ?
:lol::lol::lol: