PDA

View Full Version : Shut up!!!, all the bloody war criminals (Rajakar, Al Badr, Al Shams, etc) in 1971

Mohiul
October 26, 2007, 02:10 PM
I'm quite taken aback by the recent voice of Ali Ahsan Mujahid, one of the Al badr members in 1971. How dare he is!!!!! shame.

We have to raise our voice against these war criminals.

So, all my fellow BC members, please raise your voice here against these beast.

akabir77
October 26, 2007, 02:34 PM
Bhai chor rey keo kono din boltey shunsey ami chor!!! or pagolerea?...

Chor koilai ki r chor thaklo na???

ialbd
October 26, 2007, 02:46 PM
I guess this is only possible in Bangladesh....

if they absconded after '71 and never came back, or hid somewhere in the country concealing their identity it wouldnt have bothered me. Not only they live like VIPs they have the audacity to go public (press) with this kind of cra**

I was so embarassed one day when my paki friend (who barely knows any history) mentioned (in a joking tone) this, 'i heard a group that supported pak during the war is in power now in BD..'

I really went speechless that day....although he was just joking with me....

Tigers_eye
October 26, 2007, 02:49 PM
Why what happened? where is the link... What did he say?

Mohiul
October 26, 2007, 02:55 PM
Why what happened? where is the link... What did he say?

Details (http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=9112)

Nocturnal
October 26, 2007, 03:23 PM
Jamat considered themselves as a good Islamic Political Party and they lied BIG most of the time. Shame on Jamat. They should be banned in politics for their War Crime with all the corrupt politicians, but it's not gonna happen this time coz they have someone close to them in this current CTG. Shame.:mad:

Tehsin
October 26, 2007, 10:11 PM
It's good to see that there are still people alive back home who hasn't forgotten the true history of Bangladesh. How this political party is still alive an kicking is beyond me. I wonder how long this will last though. These rajakars were forgiven after the war and the new generation probably has no clue as to their involvement with the enemies during 71. Hope this incedent will spark a new debate over their existence and force them out of BD politics once and for all.

nsd3
October 27, 2007, 05:30 AM
Will gonotontro support banning an existing political party, who won a few seats in the prliament. Amaderi moton Bangladeshi ra vote diyechilo. If a part of the 'Gono' wants them how can gonotontro ban these war criminals?

The amnesty was given to them after 1971 war. Now we're saying NO... khomao korbo abar korbo na .....hehe can't fit that in any logic.

I truly believe everyone should practice their own idealism if we truly believe in gonotontro in the present scenario. If anti war rajakaars keep on practicing their political rights pro Bangladeshi or anti rajakar parties also should enjoy their own political rights. That I guess would fall under Gonotontro - wouldn't it be?

Anti rajakar parties should continue their propaganda against what these rajakars did and how their vision/idealism is not good for Bangladesh rather than jumping up and down saying 'ban this party'. That would be a real example of demacratic practice.

layperson
October 27, 2007, 05:42 AM
Will gonotontro support banning an existing political party, who won a few seats in the prliament. Amaderi moton Bangladeshi ra vote diyechilo. If a part of the 'Gono' wants them how can gonotontro ban these war criminals?

The amnesty was given to them after 1971 war. Now we're saying NO... khomao korbo abar korbo na .....hehe can't fit that in any logic.

I truly believe everyone should practice their own idealism if we truly believe in gonotontro in the present scenario. If anti war rajakaars keep on practicing their political rights pro Bangladeshi or anti rajakar parties also should enjoy their own political rights. That I guess would fall under Gonotontro - wouldn't it be?

Anti rajakar parties should continue their propaganda against what these rajakars did and how their vision/idealism is not good for Bangladesh rather than jumping up and down saying 'ban this party'. That would be a real example of demacratic practice.

Just a thought, since from reading your post it seems like you truly believe in the quote live and let live absolutely literally when it comes to practicing democracy in the sense that you argue we should let everyone participate in the polls regarding whether they are war criminals or not because part of the "gono" or public has voted them to parliament in the past. Well going by this logic I assume you are opposed to the idea of barring criminals ( individuals who have been sentenced to prison for a crime) as taken up by the EC? There are some criminals who have been "elected" to the parliament and there is definite support for these individuals from part of the "gono" or public, those who stand to gain from the goon going to power. Correct me if I am wrong but isnt your stance looking a bit absurd when I use this analogy?

zahid
October 27, 2007, 06:13 AM
Cholen shobai miley "gonopituni" dei ederrey. Kuno na kuno generationkey ei kajta to kortei hobey.

nsd3
October 27, 2007, 07:59 AM
Just a thought, since from reading your post it seems like you truly believe in the quote live and let live absolutely literally when it comes to practicing democracy in the sense that you argue we should let everyone participate in the polls regarding whether they are war criminals or not because part of the "gono" or public has voted them to parliament in the past. Well going by this logic I assume you are opposed to the idea of barring criminals ( individuals who have been sentenced to prison for a crime) as taken up by the EC? There are some criminals who have been "elected" to the parliament and there is definite support for these individuals from part of the "gono" or public, those who stand to gain from the goon going to power. Correct me if I am wrong but isnt your stance looking a bit absurd when I use this analogy?

The idea was surrounding banning a party from BD politics. If there's any corrupt person involved in winning a seat from any party he/she should not be beyond the reach of the rule of law, I believe. Currently we are watching certain political personalities being tried in court for their alleged corruption and other crime. The analogy was close, not accurate, I must say.

If people can bring rajakars in the court and prove they are guilty there should not be any anti-liberation rajakar left in Bangladesh politics. But to do that everything should be practiced within the democratic guideline & principle, I suppose.

"There are some criminals who have been "elected" to the parliament" - Yes some are being tried and reforms are underway. But there were no questions of banning the party - be it BNP or AL.

Special 1
October 27, 2007, 11:39 AM
mujahid should be taken to court for spreading lies in public.

Rabz
October 27, 2007, 12:09 PM
its a shame in itself that we are still talking about this criminals after all these years...
they should have bn dealt with and moved on...

the country that hasnt been able to give proper respect to the souls who sacrificed their life for the land, deserves to be in this poor, torn apart bottom less busket case that is Bangladesh today.

Murad
October 27, 2007, 01:51 PM
1971 Liberation War
Pak major's account reveals Jamaat role

Julfikar Ali Manik and Emran Hossain

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=200 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.thedailystar.net/photos/2007-10-28__front01.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD class=osdn-navtext>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Accounts of the occupation force members too bear out how Jamaat-e-Islami Bangladesh and its paramilitary wings styled Razakar, Al Badr, and Al Shams Bahini worked fervently against the country's war of independence.

For instance, Siddiq Salik, who was serving the Pakistan army as a major in Bangladesh in 1971, in his book 'Witness to Surrender' recounts the anti-liberation role of Jamaat, Muslim League and Nizam-i-Islam.

He observed that Jamaat leaders collaborated with them [Pakistan army] not only to advance their ideals of Pakistan as an Islamic state, but also to wreak vengeance on people they were at enmity with.

Referring to the drives against Bangalee freedom fighters, he wrote, “These operations were only a partial success because the West Pakistani troops neither knew the faces of the suspects nor could they read the lane numbers (in Bengali).

They had to depend on the cooperation of the local people. The Bengalis, by and large, still cherished the hope of Mujib's return and assumed an attitude of passive indifference.”

He continued, “The only people who came forward were 'the rightists like Khwaza Khairuddin of the Council Muslim League, Fazlul Qader Chaudhry of the Convention Muslim League, Khan Sobur A Khan of the Qayyum Muslim League, Professor Ghulam Azam of the Jamaat-e-Islami and Maulvi Farid Ahmed of the Nizam-i-Islam Party.”

Describing his experience working with the Bangladeshi collaborators, the book reads, “They had all been defeated by the Awami League in the 1970 elections and carried little appeal for the Bengalis. The people generally felt that they were outdated coins being given currency by the Army once again.

"But the Army, out of sheer necessity, valued their presence and followed their advice. I suggested in one of the meetings that instead of propagating the statements of this 'outdated coins,' it would be better to seek the cooperation of teachers, lawyers, artists and intellectuals who command respect in their respective fields.”

Salik began his career as a lecturer after graduating in English literature and international affairs from Punjab University. He had been in journalism before joining the army as a public relations officer.

He came to Bangladesh in January 1970 on a tour of duty that ended with the defeat of Pakistan on December 16, 1971. He was taken as a prisoner of war (POW) in India and was released after two years. He was in the army until his death in 1988.

Read More (http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=9188)

---------------------------
Mojaheed's claim on war criminals a blatant lie (http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=9218)
Says war crime expert Dr Hasan

Dr MA Hasan, an expert on war crimes during the Liberation War in 1971, yesterday came down heavily on Jamaat leader Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mojaheed's statement regarding the existence of war criminals in Bangladesh and termed it a blatant lie.

"Ali Ahsan Mojaheed as president of Islami Chhatra Sangha in 1971 was in a leading position of Dhaka city Al Badr Bahini, one of the groups involved in killing Bangladeshi intellectuals at the fag end of the war," he said in a statement. The statement went on to say that the Al Badr played the key role in killing innocent intellectuals, professionals and also common people in 1971.

Nocturnal
October 27, 2007, 02:54 PM

I'm not a fan of banning parties by any means but sometimes it should be done for greater good.

First of all we had recent examples of banning political parties for definite reason- two prime example would be JMB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jama%27atul_Mujahideen_Bangladesh) and Harkat-ul-Jihad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami)
The previous democratic Four Party Govt. banned those two parties in 2005 (they didn't hold any seat in the Parliament though).

Currently we are under CTG and the state of emergency is still on for most parts, most of the current advisors and our army chief showed their good intension so far IMO, they put corrupted politicians/godfathers in prison....I believe if they want they can definitely do something about those Jamati War Criminals....it's right time, we shouldn't miss this opportunity!

Hatebreed
October 27, 2007, 03:47 PM
Jamaat should be banned. This is a great opportunity for the CTG and Army to investigate their involvement against our liberation, their war crimes and any other terrorist activities since. Identify the criminals and take them to court. I don't think the general people of Bangladesh would object to such move.

layperson
October 27, 2007, 04:41 PM
The idea was surrounding banning a party from BD politics. If there's any corrupt person involved in winning a seat from any party he/she should not be beyond the reach of the rule of law, I believe. Currently we are watching certain political personalities being tried in court for their alleged corruption and other crime. The analogy was close, not accurate, I must say.

If people can bring rajakars in the court and prove they are guilty there should not be any anti-liberation rajakar left in Bangladesh politics. But to do that everything should be practiced within the democratic guideline & principle, I suppose.

"There are some criminals who have been "elected" to the parliament" - Yes some are being tried and reforms are underway. But there were no questions of banning the party - be it BNP or AL.

We are talking on the same subject but our perspectives are a bit different. Let me try and explain better. I was talking about banning individuals who were responsible for war crimes just like individual criminals are banned from elections. Now implicitly that means wiping out majority of Jamaat since most of the people in the party are war criminals and their top leaders are proven war criminals according to reports published by pakistani army generals who were involved in the war at that time. So I think my anaolgy was accurate in this sense. On the other hand you are commenting based on bannning the whole party.

nsd3
October 27, 2007, 08:14 PM
I'm not a fan of banning parties by any means but sometimes it should be done for greater good.

First of all we had recent examples of banning political parties for definite reason- two prime example would be JMB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jama%27atul_Mujahideen_Bangladesh) and Harkat-ul-Jihad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami)
The previous democratic Four Party Govt. banned those two parties in 2005 (they didn't hold any seat in the Parliament though).

Currently we are under CTG and the state of emergency is still on for most parts, most of the current advisors and our army chief showed their good intension so far IMO, they put corrupted politicians/godfathers in prison....I believe if they want they can definitely do something about those Jamati War Criminals....it's right time, we shouldn't miss this opportunity!

Agreed.
JMB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jama%27atul_Mujahideen_Bangladesh) and Harkat-ul-Jihad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami) had direct relationship with destructive activities in the current scenario. However, the alleged involvement of Jamaat in the same activities were linked to a period 36 years ago. There should be a proper case built up to put the real rajakars, if any, to justice (ofcourse the general amnesty thing should also be clarified then). And you are right - "it's right time, we shouldn't miss this opportunity!"

nsd3
October 27, 2007, 08:45 PM
We are talking on the same subject but our perspectives are a bit different. Let me try and explain better. I was talking about banning individuals who were responsible for war crimes just like individual criminals are banned from elections. Now implicitly that means wiping out majority of Jamaat since most of the people in the party are war criminals and their top leaders are proven war criminals according to reports published by pakistani army generals who were involved in the war at that time. So I think my anaolgy was accurate in this sense. On the other hand you are commenting based on bannning the whole party.
Banning a party is a big debatable issue under democracy, yes you rightly said "On the other hand you are commenting based on bannning the whole party". Putting most of the top leaders into justice might not destroy the party. The party can go through proper reforms and still stand up (based on this belief CTG is proposing necessary reforms for all parties). Hence the analogy did not seem accurate to me. Cheers!

AsifTheManRahman
October 28, 2007, 01:06 AM
Kisher abar gonotontro. Bangladesher moto deshe gonotontro chole na. Rules need to be bent and a few people bending them for good reasons can only lead to good outcomes. Too bad some people want and elect Rajakars as members of parliament. If they can't find anyone else to vote once these parties are banned, then it's their problem and they can deal with it.

Just because gonotontro has a fixed definition doesn't mean that things have to be done the conventional way in a country where the people have never really deserved gonotontro (let's not forget that the root of our problems lies in the attitude of the average Bangladeshi citizen and the way he/she is brought up from day 1).

HB talks sense - ei shujoge CTG jodi koyekta rajakarer poshchade jutar chaap boshay dite pare...

Pundit
October 28, 2007, 01:52 AM
Honestly, if I were running the Govt. now, I don't think I would have had time to get involved with this "punish the rajakar" issue. Honestly, my father of the nation forgave them, and then my chacha of the army resurrected them. So, what do I care?

And since jamaat is unlikely to repeat its al badr actions in any of future Bangladesh's wars, I wouldn't get my knikers in a bunch either.

At the end, the only people who have something to gain are, 1) lefty political parties, as it provides them with an agenda (read: to become destructive), 2) kiddo students, who are too emotionally attached to their parents, but sigh, only in this aspect, 3) and the only genuine contenders, folks who were victims of the jammati war crimes.

One (Ialbd) of you were writing something about your Paki friend joking about a war perpetrator ruling BD now. Dude, grow some balls and kick that Paki friend of yours. Actually, why do you have Paki friend, that is my question? Are you are neo Al Badr in the making?

What makes me mad though is the fact that these criminals have the audacity to say what they are saying. There should be a law againstsaying anything anti-liberation, including both in the context of pro India and Pakistan.

cricket_pagol
October 28, 2007, 04:30 AM
I think banning a political party is a not solution, they will create more problems. These jamaatese will create more parties like JMB. We don't want that, do we?

I think what we should do is take these jamaati leaders in the court of law and prosecute them for their criminal acts!!! This is the only way we can fix this situation. If there was a will, then any of the previous governments (Al & BNP) and current CTG would have done that. Our best bet is to pressurize the CTG so that they are forced to take some action.

Mohiul
October 28, 2007, 05:17 AM
another good move by the golden sons of our beloved motherland.

Source (http://www.amadershomoy.com/news.php?id=207876&sys=1)

shaad
October 28, 2007, 07:50 AM
Read this Daily Star report:

What Jamaat leaders said in '71
Hasan Jahid Tusher and Ashfaq Wares Khan

Jamaat-e-Islami was directly involved in war crimes in 1971 as part of the Razakar, Al-Badr and Al-Shams groups and peace committees, inciting killings of Liberation War supporters and collaborating with the Pakistani occupation force, according to speeches and writings in 1971 by the then Jamaat leadership and the party's current amir and secretary general.

In 1971, Golam Azam was the Jamaat amir while Motiur Rahman Nizami, the present amir, was the president of Islami Chhatra Shangha and Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mojaheed, the present Jamaat secretary general, led its Dhaka unit.

Their speeches and writings published in Jamaat's mouthpiece, the daily Sangram, during the Liberation War in 1971 chronicle their direct involvement in supporting the Pakistani occupation force, their leadership in collaborating with the army, and their activities to incite and encourage annihilation of the liberation forces.

On Thursday, Mojaheed denied Jamaat's involvement in war crimes and with the Razakar, Al-Badr and Al-Shams groups. He claimed that Jamaat did not work against the Liberation War in 1971 and that there is no war criminal in the country.

"In fact, anti-Liberation forces never even existed," Mojaheed told reporters after Jamaat's dialogue with the Election Commission on electoral reforms.

As a response to the Jamaat secretary general's claims, following are selections from the reports published in the daily Sangram and documents of the then West Pakistan government:

Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mojaheed, president of Dhaka unit of East Pakistan Islami Chhatra Shangha (ICS), directed his party workers to build Al-Badr Bahini to resist freedom fighters, according to a "Fortnightly secret report on the situation in East Pakistan" the political section of the then East Pakistan home ministry used to send to the head of the government General Yahya Khan.

Mojaheed at a meeting of the ICS in Rangpur on October 17 directed the party workers to build the Al-Badr Bahini. He told the meeting that anti-Islamist forces must be resisted. He also emphasised organising youths to join Al-Badr.

Al-Badr day was observed in Dhaka on November 7, 1971 and Mojaheed announced a four-point declaration that said, "We do not believe in any map of Hindustan on earth. We will not rest until the name of Hindustan is erased from the world.

"From tomorrow, you will not be allowed to sell, publicise or keep at libraries books either written by Hindus or written in their support," according to a report published in the daily Azad on November 8, 1971.

The Al-Badr was assigned a variety of combat and non-combat tasks, including taking part in operations, spying against the Muktibahini, interrogation, working as guides for the regular army, assassination, detecting and killing Bangalee intellectuals, looting and supplying women and children to rape, according to Wikipedia.

Continued in the original article... (http://thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=9116)

Sohel
October 30, 2007, 10:22 AM
Let's not forget that the leaders of these outfits "were" Jamaat and other "Islamic" party members. The "former" Razakars behind these guys are being exposed a lot faster than anyone anticipated.

Huji emerged with open declaration
Julfikar Ali Manik

Terrorist organisation Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami, Bangladesh (Huji) emerged through an open declaration of its Jihad agenda at a press conference in early 1992. But the then BNP government did not pay heed to the outfit's dramatic appearance.

The Huji got nourished almost unchallenged for years until Hasina-led Awami League (AL) government began chasing the Islamist fanatic group in January 1998 as it made an attack on late poet Shamsur Rahman.

Even after the extremist organisation made an assassination attempt on the then prime minister Sheikh Hasina in 2000, the AL government did not succeed to check its advancement.

A few of nine suspected militants held by Rapid Action Battalion last two days with huge arms and explosives admitted their involvement in another assassination attempt on Hasina on 21 August, 2004.

One of the arrestees said Huji boss Mufti Hannan's men had asked him to keep grenades hurled at the AL chief's rally.

On the other hand, there are several reports that the BNP-Jamaat-led four-party-alliance government patronised the organisation and its leaders.

The alliance government, however, was compelled to take some measures including banning the group and arrest a few leaders in October 2005.

The move came in the wake of pressures from home and abroad to take action against the militant organisation, which investigators also found responsible for perpetrating the August 21 attack on Hasina.

Interestingly, a few days ahead of banning the organisation the then prime minister Khaleda Zia held a meeting with a number of Huji leaders when the militant leaders, posing as Islamic Scholars, paid a call on her at the Prime Minister's Office.

A top Huji leader categorically branded a former BNP minister as his patron to the press after being arrested.

One year into banning, a number of top Huji leaders under a different banner held a public meeting in the capital after getting nod from the government in October 2006.

EMERGENCE
Back on April 30, 1992, the Huji appeared in Bangladesh through a press conference wearing sleeveless olive jackets over their shalwar-kameez.

The militant leaders sat shoulder to shoulder during the press conference at the Jatiya Press Club and boastfully described how they fought in the Afghan war. They demanded that Bangladesh be turned into an Islamic state.

For the first time the group came to light as Huji. A day after the emergence, they paraded through the Dhaka streets after Juma prayers to claim victory over the Soviet forces in Afghanistan.

In 2002, the US blacklisted Huji as an international terrorist organisation. It took the government three more years to ban it on October 17, 2005 after much denial of its existence in Bangladesh.

The US went one step forward to blacklist the Bangladesh chapter of Huji in 2003, but the government's denial continued as the then foreign minister M Morshed Khan said he had not seen "any activity of such organisation in Bangladesh".

Lawmakers of Jamaat-e-Islami who had alleged link with the militants also denied Huji existence in Bangladesh.

Former Jamaat lawmaker Riasat Ali Biswas told parliament on September 11, 2005: "Reports of militant training of Jama'atul Mujahideen Bangladesh [JMB] and Harkatul Jihad to turn Bangladesh into an Islamic state are nothing but propaganda."

Under such lenience and denials, Huji spread its wing in madrasas, set up training camps in the greater Chittagong and three hill districts and carried out terrorist activities.

The militant leaders who attended the 1992 press conference -- Abdus Salam, president of Huji Bangladesh, field commander Manzur Hasan, Dhaka city unit president Maolana Delwar Hossain, publicity secretary Mufti Shafiqur Rahman, Maolana Mufti Abdul Hye -- remain untraced.

Forty-one armed men of the Huji arrested at a Cox's Bazar training camp in 1996 and handed down life-term were released on bail after the alliance government came to power.

The Huji Bangladesh top brass includes Shaikhul Hadith Allama Azizul Haq, also chief of a faction of ruling alliance partner Islami Oikya Jote (IOJ), Bangladesh Khelafat Majlish second-in-command Muhammad Habibur Rahman of Sylhet, Ataur Rahman Khan of Kishoreganj, Sultan Jaok of Chittagong, Abdul Mannan of Faridpur and Habibullah of Noakhali.

All of them are involved with different Islamic organisations and madrasas, and one of them, Ataur Rahman Khan, was elected an MP with BNP ticket in 1991 from Kishoreganj-3 constituency.

In an interview a few years back, Habibur Rahman revealed the names of those with whom he travelled to Afghanistan through Pakistan in 1988, visited some Taliban militant camps and even met al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden.

It may have some significance for the apparent government reluctance to go tough on Huji members that on October 6, 2005, eleven days before the ban came, Shaikhul Hadith and Habibur Rahman met Khaleda as 'Islamic scholars'.

The two were accompanied by Maolana Obaedul Haq, IOJ lawmaker Mufti Shahidul Islam, Ashraf Ali, Abdur Rab Yusufi, Yusuf Ashrafi, Nezamuddin, Mohammad Humayun Kabir and Tafazzul Haq Aziz.

The home ministry note banning Huji by the alliance government reads: "Harkat-ul Jihad Al Islami is a self-proclaimed terrorist organisation. Its activities are very sensitive and it is identified as a terrorist organisation. The government is declaring Harkat-ul Jihad Al Islami and all its activities banned on the basis of information received so far."

Only Mufti Hannan, a central committee member and operation commander of Huji, was arrested on October 1, 2005.

After his arrest, Hannan told the press he had been staying in the country as the former home minister Altaf Hossain Choudhury had assured him of "no fear" in staying in the country.

"Editor of monthly Madina Maolana Mohiuddin played the mediator between me and the home minister," Hannan told reporters.

He also told the court law enforcers were not supposed to arrest him as some influential ministers of the alliance government had assured him that he would be exempted from the charge of the attempt on Hasina.

"Soon after the coalition government assumed power, I submitted a mercy petition to the prime minister, the home minister and some other ministers. And in reply they assured me that they will let me off," Hannan had told the court in presence of a large number of lawyers, law enforcers, and newspersons.

More than a week before expiry of the alliance government's tenure in October, 2006 some Huji leaders including two top founding leaders Abdus Salam and Rahmat Ullah alias Sheikh Farid held a public meeting at Baitul Mukarram Mosque.

One of the organisers of the meeting told The Daily Star the Huji leaders had appeared after getting the go-ahead from the government.

DS LINK (http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=9521)

And ...

http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e6536f7fab.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)
Nine suspected militants and 60kg of explosives, 16 grenades, rifles, handguns, various equipment and ammunition at the Rapid Action Battalion-1 Headquarters in the capital yesterday. Rab recovered these during a countrywide drive. Photo: STAR

Another militant shocker
9 extremists held for link with Aug 21 attack; grenades, arms, ammo seized
Staff Correspondent

The Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) arrested nine people with suspected links to Harkat ul-Jihad-i-Islami (Huji) and recovered a good number of grenades, firearms and explosives in different districts in last two days.

Of those netted, two took part in staging the August 21 grenade blasts at an Awami League (AL) rally in 2004 while the rest were involved indirectly, said Rab officials.

The firearms and explosives seized include 16 Arges-84 grenades, four firearms and 60 kilograms of explosives. Rab officials said the grenades are from the same lot that had been smuggled in for the August 21 attack.

The arrestees are Hossain Ahmed alias Tamim, Abul Kalam Azad alias Bulbul, Jahangir Alam, Abdul Kuddus, Omar Faruq, Amirul Islam, Ali Ahmed, Mokaddes Billah and Mohammad Baki Billah.

The Rab however did not specify the two who they said had a direct role in the grisly attack that left 24 AL leaders and workers dead and over 300 injured.

All those detained were paraded during a press briefing at the Rab headquarters yesterday afternoon. But only three of them--Ali Ahmed, Tamim and Baki Billah--were allowed to talk to the media.

Huji leaders Mufti Abdul Hannan, Mohibullah alias Mafizur Rahman alias Ovi, Moulana Abu Sayeed alias Zafar and Sharif Shahedul Alam alias Bipul, who are now on a 10-day remand in connection with the grenade blast case, were also produced before the journalists.

Hannan looked dejected throughout the press briefing.

Rab Director General Hasan Mahmood Khandkar said the arrests and seizures would help the investigators a lot to submit a charge sheet in the case. After primary interrogation, the arrestees would be handed over to Criminal Investigation Department (CID) that has been tasked with investigation.

Rab officials said they had raided five places in Dhaka, Kushtia, Jhenidah, Khulna and Narsingdi simultaneously following up leads obtained from prime accused Mufti Hannan and the other three.

The intelligence gathered over the last two years also helped to hunt down the nine and seize the grenades and other explosives.

The raids were conducted in the 24 hours ending at 6 in the morning yesterday. The crime busters first captured Hussain Ahmed Tamim with a grenade from Narsingdi. Meantime at Hatgopalpur of Jhenidah, another team recovered 15 grenades from under the floor of Ali Ahmed's house.

In another raid in Mohammadpur upazila of Magura, Rab arrested Baki Billah and recovered two Chinese rifles, one pistol, one revolver and around 60 kgs of explosives. Rab officials said that Mufti Hannan had asked Baki to take care of the firearms and explosives.

The rest were arrested in Khulna and Dhaka.

One litre of nitrobenzene, two kg sodium chloride and 2.5 kg methanol, 300 ml acetone, 400 gm sodium nitrate, 50 ml sulphuric acid, 200gm potassium dichloride, 10 gm sulphur, 200 ml nitrobenzol, 12 kg ammonium nitrate, 100 gm aluminium powder and different other chemicals are among the explosives recovered.

The seized items also include three wrist watch bombs, 18 switches, two capacitors, 14 bulbs, a pair of military uniforms, one military belt, a pair of military boot and a cap, 22 detonator casings, six improvised bombs, one walkie-talkie set, one pen bomb, 12 bomb casings and seven pipe bomb casings.

Ali Ahmed who along with two others was allowed to speak said Mufti Hannan's men had asked him to keep the grenades. He claimed he has no ties to Huji, Jama'atul Mujahideen Bangladesh or any other militant organisation.

Tamim denied that he had any grenade in his possession.

Asked if the Huji leaders and activists in detention have said anything about the motive for the grenade attack, a top official wishing not to be quoted said Hannan has admitted to carrying out the attack.

He also said that 15 people in all participated in conducting the blasts.

DS LINK (http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=9508)

The momentum against Islamo-fascism continues to build ... :)

Pundit
October 30, 2007, 10:49 AM
Do you think its the buildup of momentum that is making all this happen? Or is it squeeze from you know where? I wouldn't call the latter as momentum, rather the big SQUEEZE.

Sohel
October 30, 2007, 10:54 AM
Do you think its the buildup of momentum that is making all this happen? Or is it squeeze from you know where? I wouldn't call the latter as momentum, rather the big SQUEEZE.

I just got back from a tour in parts of rural Bangladesh, and the momentum is stronger than ever irrespective of any squeeze from anywhere. Our rural people are the biggest victims of their terror, hence their views also adequately expressed at the polls is totally understandable. Just come down here and assess for yourself ... :)

Pundit
October 30, 2007, 11:54 AM
How many parts does that constitute of? Perhaps this awareness was always their, even over the decades when you lived in all the cosmopolitan capitals and cities of the world?

I would reckon BD folks were always apathetic to terror perpetrating fundy loonies. Unfortunately, our rural throngs have now power, so their thoughts hardly mattered, as it hardly does now.

Our political parties and leaders played games with them, and now to simply say, that can not continue with America's strong opinion around this.

Any way Sohel NR, as a 40 year old man who is always browsing the net, can I ask youwhat you do? No, no need to answer. Either your family has a lot of money, or you are a CIA agent. Actually, it could be both.

Sohel
October 30, 2007, 11:59 AM
How many parts does that constitute of? Perhaps this awareness was always their, even over the decades when you lived in all the cosmopolitan capitals and cities of the world?

I would reckon BD folks were always apathetic to terror perpetrating fundy loonies. Unfortunately, our rural throngs have now power, so their thoughts hardly mattered, as it hardly does now.

Our political parties and leaders played games with them, and now to simply say, that can not continue with America's strong opinion around this.

Any way Sohel NR, as a 40 year old man who is always browsing the net, can I ask youwhat you do? No, no need to answer. Either your family has a lot of money, or you are a CIA agent. Actually, it could be both.

Very self-satisfied indeed in your views irrespective of what the facts may be and the complexities those facts have to offer, good for you bro. May Allah bless you with peace in your heart ... :)

Rabz
October 30, 2007, 12:15 PM
[.......] sorry ... wrong thread.