PDA

View Full Version : The English are scared

Arnab
October 16, 2003, 10:55 PM
Giles and Batty given a grilling

By Simon Briggs in Dhaka

England's spinners may be consulting their lawyers today after a young Bangladesh 'A' batsman described them as "very ordinary". Admittedly, modern finger-spin can be a thankless task, and the long-suffering Ashley Giles has heard this sort of thing before. But not from an 18-year-old school leaver.

"The pace bowlers were very good," Iqbal said. "But I expected the spinners to turn the ball more. As for Ashley Giles - world-class bowler that he is - I thought he might be more effective."

Bangladesh are learning fast, it seems, not only on the field but in the art of what Steve Waugh calls mental disintegration and the rest of us call sledging. On this front, Iqbal should have the last word. "The senior team is playing very good cricket at the moment," he said, "and I expect them to beat England in the Tests."

Arnab
October 16, 2003, 10:58 PM
Nafis wrings England spinners

Paul Weaver in Dhaka
Friday October 17, 2003

It was not, however, enough to impress Nafis Iqbal, an 18-year-old who has just finished his A-levels. Not content with flaying the England attack for 118 from 168 deliveries, the tyro cast a withering eye upon the new spin twins, Ashley Giles and Gareth Batty.

Asked what he thought about the England attack he stroked his chin like a precocious sage and said: "The fast bowlers are quite good, actually very good. But the spinners were very much ordinary. I expected them to turn the ball more than they did. I thought Giles might be more effective than he was."

The immediate reaction to all this was that young Nafis must have seen very little of England in recent Tests.

There are many admirable reasons why Giles is picked to play for England - control, accuracy, bounce, the recognition that a bat has uses beyond hitting burglars, an unselfish team ethic, the fact that he is Michael Vaughan's best pal in the side. However, he is not renowned for the prodigious amount of spin he puts on a cricket ball and one can imagine him even having difficulty opening a bottle of wine with a corkscrew.

[Edited on 17-10-2003 by Arnab]

rafiq
October 16, 2003, 11:12 PM
I'd love to see the morning papers in England today! I don't know about the part of BD beating England in the tests, but he was very articulate in the rest of his points!!

reinausagi
October 16, 2003, 11:45 PM
If sledging or psychological baiting is here to stay in modern cricket, having a polite trash-talker in the side like young Nafis, may not be a unmitigated disaster after all...

Tehsin
October 17, 2003, 12:59 AM
The funny thing is - this coming from a kid whose only international experiences came form playing the junior level teams. Long live Akram Khan's Bhaiput.

(For future reference - can anyone please teach the boy some manners ? - I may take it back if it turns out that his comments have worked on the Brits.)

Ehsan
October 17, 2003, 04:22 AM
Sledging works, let him do it people.

pagol-chagol
October 17, 2003, 07:14 AM
Good job Nafis. Notice he didn't say anything bad about his teammates. His confidence on his future team-mates and ability of playing with his opponents minds as well as the reporters, are two essential traits of a future captain.

Watch him, not Hannan, Alok or Rajin to be the captain in the future.

oracle
October 17, 2003, 07:47 AM
Nafis-
Can bhatija set the field?attacking or defending?
Win a toss?
Rotate the bowling?
Declare?
Communicate with the umpires or for that matter the opponent?
A lot of questions which cannot be answered by watching him in a secondary practice match. Let's all just wait and see.
:)

[Edited on 17-10-2003 by oracle]

Hasib
October 17, 2003, 08:00 AM
While this was a secondary practise match, the skill he needed was that of test, as England played full test team. Also, the ability to win the toss is unimportant.

Mahmood
October 17, 2003, 10:39 AM
Just like Rajin, Nafis is also raised to lead the team. Both of them are being prepared to lead the National team some day, by leading U-17, U-19, A team, tour teams.

It is just a matter of time, before each of these 2 will become the national captain.

pagol-chagol
October 17, 2003, 10:47 AM
He has been growing all those things for some time (except winning the toss).

Zobair
October 17, 2003, 11:06 AM
Chagol bhai! All the power to you if you feel he is the REAL future captain....He definitely has the goods. Godspeed :)...Though on previous tours with him as captain there has been disquiet regarding his leadership and relationship with fellow teammates. May be he has learnt his lessons. After all he is still very young.

pagol-chagol
October 17, 2003, 11:14 AM
I hope he has learnt from that. He seemed quite diplomatic in the audio interview even while he was dissing them. Its not easy to do that, you know.

In most media interviews you'll see that the media controls the mood and tone. And the players sort of float on it. In this one he was totally in control. And he is only 19.

BangladeshCricket
October 18, 2003, 08:19 AM
I am not sure if you guys noticed about English team. They didn't provide any comment about bangladesh teams bowling, batting or any departments...if you recall in Aussy or even in Pakistan tour they told lots of things about our team ...e.g. whitewashing 5-0( which actually happend) and also like Aussies also provided good and bad comments about our team...On the other hand English are quiet so far ...who knows what plan they have ahead of us...but I believe that we had enough experience with SA, Aussies and Pakistan. We should atleast provide a fight against English's upcoming tactics.

rafiq
October 18, 2003, 09:42 AM
Good point about Eng not making comments although they have praised the better individual performances against them in interviews and columns.

I think calling their spinners ordinary will of course fire up their spinners, as evidenced in the 3rd day's play from batty. It's better not to give the opposition anything that they can motivate themselves with - and that comment from nafees is a motivator - and he is not even on the test team!! maybe bangladesh performed better in pak because they were agitated by all the incidents that were going on.

anyway, back to the title of this thread I don't think the english are scared of anything except the rain.